General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mondeo st24

Search this Thread

Old 21-08-2010, 07:02 PM
RS99
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mondeo st24

hi im thinking of buying a mondeo st24 r reg for £1000, iv only ever had peugeot 206 gti;s , can antone let me know if they are worth having one or is there anything i should watch out for ?????
Old 21-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

listen for ticking coming from the engine, will be either the head gasket, or the exhaust manifold gasket if its ticking, you dont always get mayo on the headertank cap or oil filler cap, even if the HG has gone, so check carefully. if it ticks, leave it running with the header tank cap off, see if bubbles up and overflows, if not, chances are its the exhaust manifold gasket. they eat bottom arms. rust around the rear arches. make sure at 3k - 3.5k revs, there is a big jump in power, if not, the IMRC is knackered and not opening the secondaires. check for throttle hang when changing gears, see if the revs shoot up to 3k, if so, its suffering throttle hang. also check for moosing, its a loud moose sound noise, thats a knackered moose pipe.
Old 21-08-2010, 07:48 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel costs for a start! Some owners re-locate the IMRC to underneath the air filter as it suffers from the heat from the exhuast manifolds. Silly design by Ford. I also refuse to beleive there is such a thing called a "moose pipe" so hopefully Fiddy will give a better explanation than he just gave. It will be something to do with air filter noise at a guess but i stand to be corrected
Old 21-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Fuel costs for a start! Some owners re-locate the IMRC to underneath the air filter as it suffers from the heat from the exhuast manifolds. Silly design by Ford. I also refuse to beleive there is such a thing called a "moose pipe" so hopefully Fiddy will give a better explanation than he just gave. It will be something to do with air filter noise at a guess but i stand to be corrected
Fuel costs, believe it or not rich, are not that bad, they average about 30 to the gallon combined, obviously lower if your round the doors a lot, and on a run, upto about 32-34, well, depending on how heavy your right foot is, ive just decatted mine, so ive lost a couple of MPG

My IMRC has been relocated to the battery tray mate

and the moose pipe, comes off the top of the upper inlet manifold, and onto the air intake pipe from the airbox/induction kit. mine was moosing its tits off, so ive just sourced a late spec moose pipe from an ST200, and thankfully, mr moose, has done one, it was getting very embarassing, when i say it sounded like a foghorn on a ship, i kid you not
Old 21-08-2010, 07:59 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one for 2 months before i had enough of it

The seller did say something to me about a moose noise that he had sorted out, but seeing as it was only costing me £400 i didnt take much notice.

They do have a fair amount of grunt and sound lovely though
Old 21-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by CossieRich
I had one for 2 months before i had enough of it

The seller did say something to me about a moose noise that he had sorted out, but seeing as it was only costing me £400 i didnt take much notice.

They do have a fair amount of grunt and sound lovely though
I gave £750 for mine, but ive since spent £1500+, but to be fair, it was 90% by choice, not necessity.

Mine sounds totally different now ive decatted it, had a blueflame stainless twin exit on, sounded just rite, but its a bit more aggressive now the decats on, mate took this vid the other night when i decatted it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CpHd3A1Rgk
Old 21-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I definatly felt the difference in performance when i move that stupid intake control boxy thing to the battery tray. The revs just pick up after 3500. I can remember seeing in one of the ford mags and they said you had to cut the electrical wires and make them longer for the control box thing to mount on the battery box. What a load of shit that was.

Trending Topics

Old 21-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Fiddy is yours still ticking.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Fiddy is yours still ticking.
a little bit, you can only hear it when its got something either side of it for the sound to bounce off if that makes sense, like when i pulled into your dads garage, wall each side. you can have the bonnet up and rev it, no ticking, be at either wing and rev it, no ticking, so its got me baffled mate, its not a loud tick like the HG tick or EMG tick, so its neither of them, so fook knows what it is mate, i think it might be one of my pulleys that need changing, and making a sound as it goes round.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

I definatly felt the difference in performance when i move that stupid intake control boxy thing to the battery tray. The revs just pick up after 3500. I can remember seeing in one of the ford mags and they said you had to cut the electrical wires and make them longer for the control box thing to mount on the battery box. What a load of shit that was.

you are supposed to extend it to mount it under the battery tray mate, we mounted mine on the back of the battery tray, so didnt need to extend it.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I defo dont think its a pulley. Im sure its exhaust manifold gasket.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

I defo dont think its a pulley. Im sure its exhaust manifold gasket.
its been doing it for ages mate, i told you about it ages ago, and you said i was being my usual paranoid self lol. the HG and EMG tick is VERY loud mate, i know a lad who needs to change his EMG, and the tick is louder than the engine, maybe my EMG is just leaking a tiny bit, because as i said, its been making the 'sound' for ages, and it doesnt affect the car at all. its defo not the HG, me and you have done every HG check known to man. it goes well, doesnt use a drop of water, uses a little bit of oil, but its 13 year old and done 108K, so the oil useage doesnt really worry me, plus, its due an oil and filter change.

you know what im like mate, you have done plenty of work on my car, and if i knew there was anything wrong it, it would get done, but it drives, goes, and stops, just like it should, so im not overly worried, like you said, if it goes tits up, we'll drop a 200 engine it.

the way you said it, its like its a 5 minute job to change the engine
Old 21-08-2010, 10:01 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The st24's a good car.I had a mondeo v6 estate for £100 and in all honesty economy aside it was an amazing car.not sure where these boys are getting 30mpg from,I could just about squeeze that on a run but round town was nearer 20 really and the ran absolutely spot on,I serviced it all so I don't think it was just mine!!

The motors lovely,not as you'd expect a v6 to be though really as they love to rev,bags of torque but very revvy,I really enjoyed the engine,it was very quick off the mark and really came into it's own on the motorway.you won't get much better for a grand fella.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by vaughant
The st24's a good car.I had a mondeo v6 estate for £100 and in all honesty economy aside it was an amazing car.not sure where these boys are getting 30mpg from,I could just about squeeze that on a run but round town was nearer 20 really and the ran absolutely spot on,I serviced it all so I don't think it was just mine!!

The motors lovely,not as you'd expect a v6 to be though really as they love to rev,bags of torque but very revvy,I really enjoyed the engine,it was very quick off the mark and really came into it's own on the motorway.you won't get much better for a grand fella.

My trip computer says im averaging 32MPG at the minute, but like i said, it depends how heavy you are with your right foot. our lass drives mine 90% of the time, and doesnt go over 3k revs, so im getting very good MPG, and ive cleaned out my upper and lower inlet manifolds, which helps, they get clogged up becasue of the EGR valve, that doesnt help the MPG either. but aslong as your not twatting it everywhere, there very good MPG considering the size of the car and the engine, im on my second V6 now, and for what they are, i love them, cheap as chips, and go on forever.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Fiddy have you not got the oil and filter for yours yet. Thats more important than your mickey mouse carbon stick on crap lol.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:24 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Fiddy
My trip computer says im averaging 32MPG at the minute, but like i said, it depends how heavy you are with your right foot. our lass drives mine 90% of the time, and doesnt go over 3k revs, so im getting very good MPG, and ive cleaned out my upper and lower inlet manifolds, which helps, they get clogged up becasue of the EGR valve, that doesnt help the MPG either. but aslong as your not twatting it everywhere, there very good MPG considering the size of the car and the engine, im on my second V6 now, and for what they are, i love them, cheap as chips, and go on forever.

I suppose being an estate and lugging crap round all the time didn't help!!their cracking motors mondeos,IMHO the best car you can buy for the money,they went very wayward with the tdci on the mk3 in reliability terms but compared to the vectra etc they really were light years ahead.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Fiddy have you not got the oil and filter for yours yet. Thats more important than your mickey mouse carbon stick on crap lol.
Im getting it mate chill, it looks like ive been topping it up with my touch up paint, not 5w 30

And my sticky carbon crap as you call it, it 3M Carbon Fibre DI-NOC
Old 21-08-2010, 10:27 PM
rspickup
Regular Contributor

Fiddy, you got any pics as to where you mount the imrc box? also my st200 keeps raising the revs itself! not all the time just randomly, i put two icv's on it now and it still does it!

And i think mine ticks like yours! really slightly, mine defo not the emg or hg either! weird!

Like i can only hear it window down, no music, say im turning at a junction into a small road and im still in third so its not in the right gear to pick up and under strain!

does that make sense!? lol
Old 21-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by vaughant
I suppose being an estate and lugging crap round all the time didn't help!!their cracking motors mondeos,IMHO the best car you can buy for the money,they went very wayward with the tdci on the mk3 in reliability terms but compared to the vectra etc they really were light years ahead.

Aye mate, i stick with the old MK2's, i had a MK3 V6 Zetec-S, same engine, but in the MK3 obviously, and dont get me wrong, i loved it, drove its self, but the MK2 is quicker due to being lighter, and is a much more involved drive, plus, the MK2 cost me £750, the MK3, £5K. im with you, for the money, you wont get much better.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by rspickup
Fiddy, you got any pics as to where you mount the imrc box? also my st200 keeps raising the revs itself! not all the time just randomly, i put two icv's on it now and it still does it!

And i think mine ticks like yours! really slightly, mine defo not the emg or hg either! weird!

Like i can only hear it window down, no music, say im turning at a junction into a small road and im still in third so its not in the right gear to pick up and under strain!

does that make sense!? lol
Your revs is throttle hang mate, VERY common

My IMRC, not the best pics

its on the back of the battery tray
Old 21-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

and yes mate, that makes perfect sense, mine is the same
Old 21-08-2010, 10:36 PM
rspickup
Regular Contributor

Cool cheers for that

Mine used to moose too! until i fitted a k&n panel filter!

So how do i cure the rev hang? cheers.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Received 303 Likes on 197 Posts

Fiddy, you have PM mate
Old 21-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by rspickup
Cool cheers for that

Mine used to moose too! until i fitted a k&n panel filter!

So how do i cure the rev hang? cheers.

Mine started moosing after fitting a new UIM. ive got the updated anti moose pipe now, with the plastic pipe that comes off the pipe and is blanked off, cured the moosing.

throttle hang fix

Mondeo V6 idle too high

All Mondeo's equipped with the Duratec V6 can experience this.

Ford thmselves put it this way:

Our (incomplete) understanding is that it's pretty easy to tweak an engine for low emissions in steady-state operation; it's the transients that kill you. Because of this, engines have long had devices to hold the throttle open temporarily. I suspect that altering this will increase emissions. And I would expect that the program that decides when to keep the throttle open is complex enough that you won't be able to predict it.
--
-Stephen H. Westin
swestin@ford.com

HERE'S THE FIX

Turns out that "they all really do, do that." Sucks, but I concluded it is built into the smog calibration in the ECU as Ford always maintained . It's implemented by the air bypass valve position which is controlled by the ECU. What this valve does is bleed air from the rubber intake connector tube prior to the throttle body directly into the manifold. This effectively controls RPM under various conditions.

The "throttle hang" fix consists of installing a restrictor plate in the form of a 1/2" COPPER pipe (stop end) cap inserted INSIDE the 3/4" rubber hose that supplies air to the bypass air valve. The cap is inserted at the manifold end of the hose and fits either the original or Mr. Moose hose. It also has a black tank, about the size of a fruit juice can, right under the throttle/CC cables. This plug has a hole drilled in it to provide sufficient air for idle RPM control but insufficient to maintain a RPM of in excess of 3K. The throttle drop is still slower than I would like but the "hang" is gone and that's a biggie.

For the SVT, or a car equipped with the SVT intake, the optimum hole size in the plug seems to be 3/16" or 7/32". For the stock intake, the best size seems to be 15/64". There are reports that the plug causes newer SVT's (E1) to lose power in mid-range RPM's, perhaps due to the newer IAC valves? The addition of the throttle hange restrictor plug has been reported to also fix the Mr. Moose (see related section on this page) issue without using the Ford Moose "bagpipe tube/hoses."

I removed the tank also but don't think this is necessary. I just pushed the plug into the 3/4" hose at the manifold end. For removal, a pair of pliers works well. The first time I started it, the engine "hunted" before stabilizing at 750RPM idle. Did this for when the lights were on and the AC. The ECU is learning the new position of the valve for maintaining the programmed RPM, which is normal. After two or three starts, it acts normal.

I would suggest getting several plugs-they're cheap-and trying different size holes. It needs to be just large enough to maintain cold or warm idle RPM's under worst case accessory loading. I assume this is cold day, cold start with the air on in defrost mode. Installing the plug is about a 3 min job once the hose is free and easily removable. Be sure it isn't cocked. Some WD-40 helps. It needs to be in far enough so that the hose fits on the nipple as per original. It will be too large to get into the mainfold.

Total cost is about 15p
Old 21-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Minirotty
Fiddy, you have PM mate
Read and replied kev
Old 22-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Go fiddy the mondeo man.
Old 22-08-2010, 03:24 PM
alansST
ST24

great thread!! answered quite a few Q's that i had lol! i think ive got the "moosing" sound! doesnt do it all the time, never done it while driving, only on tick over, turn engine off then on again an it goes??? least i know what it is now!
Old 22-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Ive heard it on fiddys and it sounded bloody horrible.
Old 22-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Zetec_mk4_XR3i
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

gonna be lookin for one for my winter car - love the ST24
Old 23-08-2010, 10:51 PM
rspickup
Regular Contributor

moved my IMRC today but replaced it first, i had a new one for a while because i had my suspisions it wasn't working as it should, once changed and moved to underneath battery tray it now drives nicer and pulls a lot smoother well happy cheers.

but that "rev hang" read ou above has confused me a tad! mine has the svt housing.

thanks for ya help fiddy
Old 24-08-2010, 07:50 AM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Whereabouts in Kent are you mate, I am in Sittingbourne and can the throttle hangt fix for you in about ten minutes.

I run a pair of 200's so have got used to doing them now!!!
Old 24-08-2010, 08:04 PM
alansST
ST24

not sure if this is rev hang also but mine sticks (as mentioned in another thread somewhere lol) coming down, on anything between 2-3k, for almost a second then drops to tickover? is that rev hang??
Old 24-08-2010, 08:10 PM
cosmo V6
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alansST
not sure if this is rev hang also but mine sticks (as mentioned in another thread somewhere lol) coming down, on anything between 2-3k, for almost a second then drops to tickover? is that rev hang??

It sure is fella
Old 24-08-2010, 08:13 PM
super_cb
Mondeo ST24

sound cars for the cash
Old 24-08-2010, 08:20 PM
alansST
ST24

Originally Posted by cosmo V6
It sure is fella
very annoying lol! especially when it happens on gear change lol!
Old 24-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by alansST
all the sympoms of throttle hang
Old 24-08-2010, 08:27 PM
alansST
ST24

easy fix? i know u got the write up above but hmmmm kinda lost me on that lol! ive done most things so will defo give it a try!

Last edited by alansST; 24-08-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 24-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

its basically inserting a cap and drilling a hole in it, so the hole isnt as big as the standard one, so it reduces the air flow. im not very good at describing things in laymans terms lol
Old 24-08-2010, 08:43 PM
alansST
ST24

that sounds pretty self explanatory to me haha!! is that the only way (that you know of) to solve it? only ask as it doesn't do it all the time?
Old 24-08-2010, 08:45 PM
rspickup
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by bookwyse
Whereabouts in Kent are you mate, I am in Sittingbourne and can the throttle hangt fix for you in about ten minutes.

I run a pair of 200's so have got used to doing them now!!!
Chatham mate Medway RS Centre, you heard of us?

Quick Reply: mondeo st24