General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

people selling cars grrrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 16-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people selling cars grrrrrr

Why is it people seem fit to lie like fook when selling cars

Sarah needs a new car for work (diesel) got about 4k to spend so decided she wants a vectra sri cdti, 53reg onwards with less then 90k miles and full history etc, so we se one for sale 54 reg advertised as mint etc with full history so go to look at it yeah the car is mint apart from 1 dent. I asked about history the blokes reply was "whats that mean" so walked away

Then today we see another for sale again its a 54 reg up for £3600 with full history every mot bla bla bla advertised as totally immaculate and in show room condition. We get there straight away notice things rear quarter has a big fook off dent (so that needs painting) then the roof has 2 big fook off dents (needs painting) passenger door (needs painting) passenger side a pillar big dent at the bottom (needs painting) Bloke says oh yeah dent in quarter i think someone punched it and roof was like that when i bought the car,why not fookin state things in the add and save us a 2.5hr trip

Rant over
Old 16-08-2010, 08:20 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

probably in the hope you bu it because you dont want a wasted journey...wankers..hate people like that
Old 16-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dangerousbrian
probably in the hope you bu it because you dont want a wasted journey...wankers..hate people like that
Thats exactly what i said to sarah, they will still expect people to buy it after the journey there.
Old 16-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

sold a sierra xr4x4 told the bloke it was shit and he still bought it,honesty is the best policy
Old 16-08-2010, 08:31 PM
cossiejay

just got rid of one and i wont ever have another nothing but hassle only had it 3 weeks and diesel pump went
Old 16-08-2010, 08:34 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

wouldnt touch one of those with a barge pole.terrible cars!
Old 16-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Could you stretch to pay a bit more? I know of a properly nice Astra for sale. 150 diesel with LOADS of factory extras and low miles...
Old 16-08-2010, 08:39 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
i agree

terrible motors, horrible to be inside, OK to drive but they have so many problems
Old 16-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

shocking cars but anyway its because they just want to get you there.

Best bet is to say "look i am going to bring the cash with me if the car is as described i will buy it if its not then im going to ask you to pay my petrol"

He will then start telling you the little problems
Old 16-08-2010, 08:43 PM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to look at a "mint" GT TDI polo in tornedo red, took a 4 hour round trip to see a matt orange/pink polo with overspray everywhere deep scores in the windows and you couldn't drive it in a straight line

fook sake
Old 16-08-2010, 08:44 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i'd go for a passat tdi sport or something like that, u'll find a decent one for 4k easy

or audi a4 tdi like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-AUDI-A4-1...Automobiles_UK

Last edited by LHD220Turbo; 16-08-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 16-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

so i take it vectras are shit then

Shorty- how much more is it and would only be any good if its an estate as she needs summet with mahooosive boot

Last edited by Dicko&Vacant; 16-08-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 16-08-2010, 09:40 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sadly way to many people will bullshit when selling, after all, they want you to get their and hope you will just buy it. If they do list the issues, chances are you will think there is more than being let on, and end up blanking it in favour of viewing another car that is claimed to be 'mint'.

Plus, aside from getting a dig in the face or car, what has the seller to loose? your the one who has travelled. And if you do pick faults or get arsey most sellers will say 'well it aint a brand new car, what do you expect'.

had some really annoying trips out in, some I haven't even got out of the car for they have been that bad.

On the other hand, it can sometimes lead to an ok deal, years back I went to view a silver CTR, she claimed it has never had any damaged, but on arrival i found it had had paint, after a quick grumble at her about bullshitting we struck a deal with a grand off the already reasonable asking price and other than that bit of paint she was a cracking car.

Personally i ask for detailed pictures and you can often spot poor paintwork or dents from some specifically requested angles, and if they are reluctant to take the pictures, you know there is something a miss.
Old 16-08-2010, 10:12 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's a tough one as I do a bit of this myself.tbh,one persons idea of mint is anothers rough,it all depends what your looking for.in your defence,those cars were not cheap to start with so the sellers trying it on a bit there so I can understand your frustrations.

I have to say it's really hard to seperate the tossers from the genuine ones,I've had people promise me the earth down the phone and never even turn up yet I've had some real standoffish people over the phone turn up with the cash in their hand and not even want to drive it!!!

If your quite fussy,which you seem to be,your best off asking for plenty of detail before you set off and stress that your not there to chip them as long as the car IS as described,I'd appreciate that myself.

And why do people still ring up and ask if the "cars" for sale.we all know the trick, I always say,yes,what do you want to know about it?dosent matter if I've got 5 cars for sale,people will always slip up and describe the car your selling.another quentin Wilson myth!for fucks sake what possible difference does it make if the persons a trader anyway?chances are you'll get a better buy than if you buy it privately off someone with no comeback at all,I always help people if they have a REASONABLE problem as this does happen.
Old 16-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
+1, mate had one a couple of years ago, was fairly new at the time, noting but bastard trouble, it spent more time with vauxhall, than it did with him.
Old 16-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Get and old school diesel estate

Modern dervs can be very fussy bastards, pumps are under so much strain as is the DMF and injectors

Good old 405/406 estate for intergalactic moon miles and dirt cheap for parts insurance and general running costs

1.9 TD Pug is the tits and bombproof imo
Old 16-08-2010, 10:38 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Vaughant, I do that 'is the car for sale' bit lol!! In fairness 90% of the cars i have gone to view from someone selling a few motors from home have been sheds that they have painted up and claim not to have noticed, even when the overpsray is on the wall next to the car!! I wouldn't mind if they made a half decent job but some i have seen look hand painted!

of the dozens of cars i have bought over the years only one being sold by a backyard seller was any good and it was a cracking car at a great price, but he purley picked up trade ins from the local main dealer and sold them on as they arrived. He was also a really nice guy and i was so pleased with the car i didn't ask for a penny off.

Another seller was an 'Im not a trader, just have serveral cars for sale' he nearly crashed the car at the junction onto a dual carriageway trying to keep the revs up and brake and change gear at the same time as the car had a cut out issue when cold, we came that close to being totalled!!

For me if a trader is a trader then fine, but if they are hiding the fact then i feel like i am being bullshitted to from the off. A private seller can lie, but often you can catch them out during a friendly chat about the car when they are telling porkies.
Old 16-08-2010, 10:40 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

mk3 mondeo estate, tddi, job done
Old 16-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

TDDI Engine is another great moon miles machine

Know of a few with 2-300k on the clock and run mint
Old 16-08-2010, 10:48 PM
C4 KCB
Part of the Furniture

Default VECTRA

Its a joke and happens far to often when trying to buy a car these days.

Iv had a 06 vectra sri 150 diesel for the last 7mth and done 10k+ trouble free miles in it, think its a great car. Also had a 08 sri 150 diesel astra before that and done 15k in that trouble free.
Old 16-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Dlatch!
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

https://passionford.com/forum/cars-f...ot-6m-tax.html

buy that and put the rest back in the bank
its no surprise they are the cab drivers darling, quiet/comfortable/cheap to run plus being a estate huge boot
when my Citroen ZX dies (just passed another mot) its what i will be buying next
Old 16-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My girlfriend wrote her car of a few weeks ago so we went out to buy another one,one trade guy said the car is mint and once you see it you will take it,got there and theres a dent on the quarter panel,the seats were dropping to bits
Went to see another one which was a private sale,car looked nice and straight, inside was good,so i let the bird take it for a test drive she was well pleased with it and wanted to buy it,i then jumped in for a test drive and noticed the steering was light as fuck turning left and heavy turning right
I told the owner, and he said " yeah i have noticed that myself " he didnt fucking mention it when she was driving!
Another trader i rang up was a proper wanker,i wanted to view it saturday evening he said no you cant if you want to view the car you will come sat morning,i said sorry i cant ive got a job on saturday morning
I said im not a time waster ive got cash for the right car but ive also got some others to look at aswell, he said go look at the others then he put the phone down!
Old 16-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Danster76

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Retro Al - I reckon the car the 'proper wanker' trader had would have been the best car. I'm like that!! Lol
Old 17-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You have to look at it from a traders and general private sellers point of view aswell, They get phone calls all day long and time wasted just like anybody else. (Im sure NYRS, Jay etc get it all the time)

Yes its pish and wrong and shouldnt happen, Some traders are honest as fuck right to the core but get dragged down because of others.

Retro al, Maybe the bloke was just ignorant but maybe he had something on and a life outside of work hence why sat morning only and not ruining his whole day waiting on someone who 'might not turn up' which probably happens a lot.

Not a dig at you in the slightest fella. Its others in the world that cause these things.

When i was selling my runabout focus zetec in January, it was advertised 120% with every mark/scuff or scratch it had (car was black so you realise that was a big addy LOL) Now i promised its reliability of mechanicly mint, full reciepts and history and first genuine buyer will take it. I still got time wasting bastards saying they will turn up etc etc and not show, so i have sat in and waited and wasted my life of gobshites. Happened about 3 times in 1 week with this car.

I stated all the car needed was front discs and pads and i will get this done prior to it selling OR its within the negotiations of striking a deal, whichever comes first.

Decent lass came down from outside dundee area after 2 days of emails and asking for the brakes to be done, no problem, i came of my nightshift on the monday morning home cup of tea then did a 60 mile round trip to get new brakes and came home fitted them and re-valeted the car for her.

Turned up about 6pm gave her the keys for her to drive it on her own so no pressure and hey ho straight back cash in me hand and away home happy as fuck

Nice story but when im advertising i am honest as i possibly could be and even offer spare bits and bobs if i have them etc etc
Old 17-08-2010, 09:08 AM
BigNige
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i ahve a 2006 Audi A6 avant with 160k miles on it and its like new when driving

Spend £4000 and you can get a decent 1.9tdi audi/VW that will run and run and run

NIge
Old 17-08-2010, 09:46 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

mate of mine has just bought a car, went to lok at loads but he hasn't got a clue, honestly, as when i asked him what car he was looking at he would reply with "it's a black one, manual, 4 doors" rather than tell me he's gone to look at a fiesta zetec or a toyota yaris or a honda jazz

so i went with him to look at a few cars and the one he wanted had 4k on the clock and was out of his price range, but he wanted it, even though it's 3 years old, then he wanted another one that had 17k on the clock, but no history, and the nhe wanted to drive miles away to get another one and i just said to him that you need to make a list of all the thing you need in a car and then go and fill the list

eventually he's got a yaris for £4800 (below his £6k budget) and they part chopped his old car into the bargain

so don't be desperate for the car you've seen, there are always better ones out there you'll stumble across
Old 17-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Dicko - When you bought my brothers fiesta I was 100% honest - it was described as a piece of shit and you were pleased it looked better than I said it did
Old 17-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

gracy and it even had half a tank of fuel in it lol plus you make a good cuppa tea
Old 17-08-2010, 01:10 PM
rst deany
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Shorty
Could you stretch to pay a bit more? I know of a properly nice Astra for sale. 150 diesel with LOADS of factory extras and low miles...

pm me more details.
Old 20-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

didnt listen to any of you, bought a Vectra CDTi SRi today, its lovely to drive, good spec and history and well economical!

Happy as larry
Old 20-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
Happy as larry

lets see how long that lasts, i wait with baited breath for the thread titled 'f*cking vectra's'
Old 20-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Fiddy
lets see how long that lasts, i wait with baited breath for the thread titled 'f*cking vectra's'
Surely they cant be that bad, there are thousands of em on the road, and been keeping an eye on the vectra forums for insider info
Old 20-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
Surely they cant be that bad, there are thousands of em on the road, and been keeping an eye on the vectra forums for insider info

I can only base my opinion on the one my pal had, which as i said above, spent more time at vauxhall than with him, hope it does turn out to be a good car for you obviously, but if it does go wrong, i will say i told you so at the first opportunity

like clarkson said, he would go to say, san francisco, to avoid dinner with bill odie, but to avoid owning a vectra, he would go past the moons of jupiter
Old 20-08-2010, 08:42 PM
stevos

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

What about this not sure if he has sold yet or not but these are good cars
https://passionford.com/forum/cars-f...ally-sold.html
Old 20-08-2010, 10:07 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Have you joined VVOC yet? Seems some good info on Vectra's.

Sure all cars have bad points but it seems people who own Fords/VW forget them when you mention other makes (not a dig to other people by they way same on some other forums)
Old 20-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

yeah we had to join to get in touch with the bloke selling the car.
Old 20-08-2010, 10:48 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good bunch of people on there, if it's a long term car then the prem section is worth the £15 alone on a service.
Old 21-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Im sure these engines are the same as a fiat/alfa engine.