General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Working in stock exchange- advice please

Search this Thread

Old 16-08-2010, 05:43 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working in stock exchange- advice please

I saw this when playing aroud online searching for jobs which require no previous experience. Ive always had jobs that are manual labour etc and dont require any previous training etc despite the fact i have gcses's, a level and a national diploma (is in art and design and i have no interest in this now). Anyway, at the age of 27 its starting to home in on me that i need to pull my finger out and work towards a proper career path and get somewhere in life. Im worried that ive already left it far too late.

Anyway, people in the know, have a look at the below link and tell me is this just one of those cons where they maybe get money out of you to 'get you started' then nothing progresses. I have so much drive to go far in a career, i just have never known exactly what i'd like to do in life.

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/job/10156...nce-necessary/

Any advice, career guidance etc is greatly appreciated. Ive even been thinking lately would i fancy being a painter/decorator, then just got to start off by being taken on as a trainee with a building company. Another slight problem i face is i currently bring home £300 a week, but may well struggle to even get this amount as a trainee

Help! Cheers, Mike
Old 16-08-2010, 07:44 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

That's not working in the stock exchange, it's working from home.

Along the same line as envelope stuffing, and probably the same pay as well.

Old 16-08-2010, 07:57 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thats what i assumed. Its just one of those well worded things that lead you to think your going to do really well. A friend of mine a few weeks ago said you can get into working in the stock exchange and or working in trades with no previous experience or high qualifications. I dont believe that which why when looking online at jobs etc i thought i'd try and do a search regarding this.
Old 16-08-2010, 08:06 PM
neilscott83
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try and do some evening courses mate see what takes your fancy it's a start.
Old 17-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by EssexMikeSi
A friend of mine a few weeks ago said you can get into working in the stock exchange and or working in trades with no previous experience or high qualifications. I dont believe that which why when looking online at jobs etc i thought i'd try and do a search regarding this.

Certainly not so much the case now IMO, although it certainly used to be the case.
When I first started up here almost our entire spot yen desk (not the most lucrative desk by any means, but at the time - about 15 years ago - it was doing roaring trade) was made up of ex-dockers.
It was more a matter of who you knew, not what you knew, and whether or not your face fits.
Old 17-08-2010, 07:48 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

That sort of position is quite common although a lot of places like that scaled down during the recession.

Its no surprise its FX based as FX is very popular at the moment.

Typically, your role would be to learn from an experienced trader. The company fronts your capital, but takes a large percentage of any earnings, including desk fee and back office costs etc...

Eventually, once you are experienced enough, you rent your own desk, but provide all of the risk capital yourself, and are effectively self employed.

The turnover of "staff" in these places is huge, and for every person you hear who makes fortunes, 99 others are out the door within months.

I wouldn't panic about your age either. With some help of friends (including a few people on here), I got a new career path aged 28. Moved into the city, worked my arse off for the past three years, sold all the cars, cut all costs, pretty much stopped using sites like this, and am now about to open my own desk within my company trading the US Equity markets.

I had good office experience etc, but I would be certain you know what you want to do. As much as my job is fun at times, I was also up at 5 a.m. every day and home at 7 p.m., after spending minimum 12 hours highly stressed and not even able to get off the desk for more than a piss.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with....
Old 17-08-2010, 07:55 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich,

To put it bluntly you are going to be earning mega bucks then mate? Good for you.

Hope you are well.
Old 17-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, fair play PON
I remember reading on here how you wanted to get into the city, didnt realised you had managed it to such an extent though
Old 17-08-2010, 08:01 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Rich,

To put it bluntly you are going to be earning mega bucks then mate? Good for you.

Hope you are well.
Not necessarily at all mate. Equity markets are generally very very quiet at the moment (although it is holiday time), and a lot of people have taken their money off the table after getting stung over the past couple of years.

However, if I work really hard for the next couple of years and bring in some good clients, I'll do okay for myself....
Old 17-08-2010, 08:02 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Chip
Wow, fair play PON
I remember reading on here how you wanted to get into the city, didnt realised you had managed it to such an extent though
With help and advice from the likes of Dave and Porkie (couldn't have done it without their direction)....
Old 17-08-2010, 08:11 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news Ponster! as I said on IB, youve done well dude!

Equities is SNOOOZEVILLE at the moment.. especially the US!

Yesterday was the years all time trading loooowww.......
Old 17-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by RichardPON
With help and advice from the likes of Dave and Porkie (couldn't have done it without their direction)....
Well like they say with such things, its all down to who you know

And a bucket load of hard slog of course! No good just getting some good pointers you have to have the drive and ambition to realise them.
Old 17-08-2010, 08:47 AM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think thats half my problem- for some reason ive never known what i'd exactly like to do in life, it seems whenever ive tried to think of a career i'd love to pursue i have a mental blockage.

Don't get me wrong, im not unemployed and just sitting at home on passionford all day, i have this week as holiday and decided its the only real time im going to have to do some research.

Somebody has given me a number i need to called today for a company called seetec who help you get training and employment, although i had also been told that such companies mainly work with people who have no work atm.

I phoned job centre plus yesterday in Chelmsford and basically got told 'well you have a job, think yourself lucky'. Wasn't quite the advice i was looking for.

Richard- Are there any good websites that i can view which will provide me with a insight to working in the city and give me an idea of how to approach getting into working within the trades market? I do wonder if my biggest downfall may be that i didnt stay on at uni and do a degree of some nature.

Mike
Old 17-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

T am now about to open my own desk within my company trading the US Equity markets.

Huge congratulations mate!!! well done!!
Old 17-08-2010, 09:10 AM
BigNige
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

PON WEll done dude

Thats great to hear . We should do a beer at some point

NIge
Old 17-08-2010, 10:02 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by EssexMikeSi
I do wonder if my biggest downfall may be that i didnt stay on at uni and do a degree of some nature.

Mike

I didnt go to uni.. I just did some poky old A levels and am now a sales trader for a large US brokerage

Jobcentres? knock them on the head! unless you want to work in a fooking factory.

Ring up agencies in the city, get a job in the back office.. work your way to middle office, then build relationships with the traders and get on to a desk as a junior / runner / assistant

Its the way
Old 17-08-2010, 10:52 AM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the advice etc Dave, is good to speak with people who are actually there doing the jobs and not some office pen pusher who just wants to sign u up to their agency and just send you jobs for the local wetherspoons etc lmao.

Can anybody send me a link or know of a excellent professional C.V template?
Old 17-08-2010, 10:58 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Spend a few hours on here

www.CityJobs.com
Old 17-08-2010, 11:11 AM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks Dave, i'll do some reading up on there today.

Last edited by EssexMikeSi; 17-08-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 17-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Interesting. I'm really looking for a career path to go down too. I'm 23 at the moment, have been interested in economics and investment for a while now and spend a lot of time reading up about it. Was going to do an open university economics degree because I like to keep busy working, so not a fan of the student life, but if it's possible to get a job at a low level and then work your way up, then that sounds the way to go.

Very helpful thread... I'm just looking at that CityJobs site now.

Dave - when did you go into the field you're in now? Or did you just start there after school?
Old 17-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
Ring up agencies in the city, get a job in the back office.. work your way to middle office, then build relationships with the traders and get on to a desk as a junior / runner / assistant

Its the way
Defo the way to do it IMO...
With with a degree, or more, is still very very tough to get the oportunity trade in certain aspects..
Old 17-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Alan_D
Interesting. I'm really looking for a career path to go down too. I'm 23 at the moment, have been interested in economics and investment for a while now and spend a lot of time reading up about it. Was going to do an open university economics degree because I like to keep busy working, so not a fan of the student life, but if it's possible to get a job at a low level and then work your way up, then that sounds the way to go.

Dave - when did you go into the field you're in now? Or did you just start there after school?
You may well find if you can get into the right area back office wise, (as a steping stone..) the company may be willing to help towards tuition costs chap.. - certainly the case here if you want to go down the accounting / ship broking route...
Old 18-08-2010, 08:14 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Alan, did my a levels.. went in to the city in some shit office job, then moved through a few houses working in middle office. Then got on to a desk.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:53 PM
BigNige
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Hey BJD how you doing

Long time no speaky too

Nige
Old 19-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Rolls
You may well find if you can get into the right area back office wise, (as a steping stone..) the company may be willing to help towards tuition costs chap.. - certainly the case here if you want to go down the accounting / ship broking route...
Originally Posted by DaveEscos
Alan, did my a levels.. went in to the city in some shit office job, then moved through a few houses working in middle office. Then got on to a desk.
Thanks for the replies. Very interesting stuff. The first thing I'll do is speak to my stockbroker about it the next time they phone. I've had a few lengthy chats with the guys there and I think they're under the impression I know what I'm doing, so that might be the best place to start trying.

I'll do anything to be honest, would clean the toilets if it got my foot in the door.
Old 19-08-2010, 11:42 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

If you've got a great relationship with your broker.. that is a possible foot in the door.

Who does he work for?
Old 19-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

PM sent.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:24 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Alan,

I also came in a pretty low level.

Lot of pride to swallow, but if you have an interest in the subject (and I know you do) and are good with excel, and understand the concept, the back office could be a very good place to start.

All of our best traders worked back office before moving up - it gives you a much more rounded outlook on the role.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Alan,

I also came in a pretty low level.

Lot of pride to swallow, but if you have an interest in the subject (and I know you do) and are good with excel, and understand the concept, the back office could be a very good place to start.

All of our best traders worked back office before moving up - it gives you a much more rounded outlook on the role.
Thanks.

As I said, I'll take any job as long as there is a chance of progressing, so that's definitely not an issue.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Mike - Sorry for the thread hijack. Lol
Old 19-08-2010, 01:02 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Alan- your in a very good position already if you are in contact with them. I like you would do anything if it meant getting my foot in the door. Well apart from in my current job where when i joined almost 2 years ago they said oh we'll start you on this wage and we'll progress you through. 2 years later and im doing the sdame thing despite always asking if theres anything else i can do to further myself within the compnay. The reply i always get is dont worry give it time and continue doing what your doing.
Old 19-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Chip

Mike, IME with regards to career progression (totally different field to what you are in im sure but may still be relevant) the correct approach isnt "what can I do?" and expect to be given tips its to work out where a requirement lies that isnt being filled, and then put yourself forward as someone who can fill the role that your company hadnt even realised yet that they needed someone for.
Maybe there are opportunities that you are missing by hoping others will spot them for you?

Last edited by Chip; 19-08-2010 at 01:14 PM.