General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cheap eBay Turbos!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

why risk an engine for a cheap turbo? makes no sense to me in the slightest
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM
dearing5
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont bother, i had 2 on my c20let engine and both have blown there seals....all be it the shafts are fine, boosts hard etc but the seals are like plastic lol last 2months max.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
CalibreDan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They seem strong enough in most cases, know of a few holding decent power - However they're running oil restrictors to stop the seals going.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by CalibreDan
They seem strong enough in most cases, know of a few holding decent power - However they're running oil restrictors to stop the seals going.
i think there is something in that, like i said the three i know of are fine. although i think it would be rare for a turbo failier to destroy an engine, allthough not imposible, but then there are a lot of people out there breaking a lot of other things through neglect etc.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:36 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
why risk an engine for a cheap turbo? makes no sense to me in the slightest
my cosworth BOA engine cost 200 quid, and my turbo was 150 quid, id rather risk it than spend a grand on the equivelent garret. its all relative, you may wish to spend a grand on a turbo for your 3000 quid YB engine and thats perfectly ok, horses for courses. im not after daft power figures just a quick car that is driveable and torquey.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

i bought a TD05 turbo off ebay and was a silly price, came all the way from the USA and as far as i now is still going strong, it also had warranty

andy
Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

forgot to say i would recomend buying secondhand off peeps from this forum..lol..

andy
Old 11-08-2010, 07:49 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Originally Posted by chaffe
cool, i bet that pulls well, a very expensive hobby tuning ybs though, so an expensive turbo is no problem. On budget builds often with near standard engines and relative boost levels i have found chinese turbos more than adequate on several occasions, one of wich has covered over 10k miles and is still going strong. all the bolt holes lined up with my garret elbow, and oil supply and return worked well. the engine and turbo produces no smoke and makes good power, my freind has also used two of these turbos on v6 golfs, both of which have worked well for thousands of miles. thanks for your input though.
why not back up these claims with some links etc?

ive bought chinese stuff and its always shite, phone covers etc are fine and dandy but owt else turns out shit and you only get refunded if you post back signed for (fuckin expensive, moreso than the product cost)

link to the turbos you say are good
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by morto
i bought a TD05 turbo off ebay and was a silly price, came all the way from the USA and as far as i now is still going strong, it also had warranty

andy
Ace, i think the bigger ones are hardier and stronger, its only small ones like t28, ko3s, vauxhaul ones ect ive heard of failures. The t3, t34 (same cartridge) and your td05 seem to be fine.
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

my cosworth BOA engine cost 200 quid, and my turbo was 150 quid, id rather risk it than spend a grand on the equivelent garret. its all relative, you may wish to spend a grand on a turbo for your 3000 quid YB engine and thats perfectly ok, horses for courses. im not after daft power figures just a quick car that is driveable and torquey.
yeah and the likelyhood is the turbo will shit itself, may destroy your engine and then you have to buy another BOA engine & another Ł150 turbo, so that's Ł350....where do you draw the line with the cheap turbo's? after you've blown up 10 engines???
Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by 1.9 xr2 on 40's
why not back up these claims with some links etc?

ive bought chinese stuff and its always shite, phone covers etc are fine and dandy but owt else turns out shit and you only get refunded if you post back signed for (fuckin expensive, moreso than the product cost)

link to the turbos you say are good
how can i give you a link to my life? it is my own personal hands on experience i write from, not internet discussions, so sorry cant help you there. and if you read the thread i have been corrected, most of the turbos are Brazilian, same place garrets are made! search "new t3t4 turbo" on ebay mate, they retail at about 200 quid.

Last edited by chaffe; 12-08-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 PM
BIG WULL
Fae the Dale

so who is a recomended decent turbo supplier then?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

yeah and the likelyhood is the turbo will shit itself, may destroy your engine and then you have to buy another BOA engine & another Ł150 turbo, so that's Ł350....where do you draw the line with the cheap turbo's? after you've blown up 10 engines???
it just wont happen though, the engine and turbo will be fine. as ive said ive used the stuff before, people in the states use this stuff all the time with no issues, you dont have to spend a fortune to go fast.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

it just wont happen though, the engine and turbo will be fine. as ive said ive used the stuff before, people in the states use this stuff all the time with no issues, you dont have to spend a fortune to go fast.
so, the point of this thread was?????
Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by BIG WULL
so who is a recomended decent turbo supplier then?
depends how much money you want to spend! ive always found ebay to be fine, there are hundreds on there, all made by the same people.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 PM
dearing5
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

why have both of mine been shit then??
Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

so, the point of this thread was?????
to ask people who have had real life experience of the cheap turbos avalible, their opinions, some good some bad and some people who like to slate things they have never tried!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by dearing5
why have both of mine been shit then??
for what reason were they shit? i am interested in what went wrong, thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

to ask people who have had real life experience of the cheap turbos avalible, their opinions, some good some bad and some people who like to slate things they have never tried!
well, i gave you my OPINION,
the likelyhood is the turbo will shit itself, may destroy your engine
and you said
it just wont happen though, the engine and turbo will be fine. .
so its kinda of clear you dont want anybodys opinion!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

for what reason were they shit? i am interested in what went wrong, thanks.
just re read your post sorry, as i mentioned the smaller turbos dont seem to be as strong, also how long ago was this? the quality has improved greatly recently.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

well, i gave you my OPINION,

and you said

so its kinda of clear you dont want anybodys opinion!
how can you have an accurate opinion if you have never used one of these turbos
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

how can you have an accurate opinion if you have never used one of these turbos
where did i say id never used one?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

You seem to have made this thread to try and make an argument, and then stick up for ebay turbos. Are you a seller of said ebay turbos?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
You seem to have made this thread to try and make an argument, and then stick up for ebay turbos. Are you a seller of said ebay turbos?

exactly what i was thinking!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I would trust James at Motorsport Developments view the turbos are rubbish as sure he might have seen one or two
Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chaffe,

They are the best turbo's you can buy. They will last for thousands or miles at 4 bar of boost. They have a 5 year warranty even if you run the turbo dry of oil. Any engine damage caused by a broken turbo WILL be covered by the slanty eyed ones.

I hope that is the answer you were looking for and you are now confident of buying a cheap ebay turbo
Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

me thinks the OP is a grade a mongtard
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
bigryrs
RSHoleinator

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

tut tut mr chaffy! but on a serious note im pals with this neep and i can vouch for all 3 turbos that hes been talking about as ive owned both the cars with the turbos bolted onto them!! and i also know the 3rd engine and the turbos are all fine but tbh i wouldnt go and buy one!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:51 PM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i paid 300 for a t34 why would i buy a not got a que turbo off ebay? thats my 2 pea,s worth
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

buy cheap, buy twice
Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 PM
bigryrs
RSHoleinator

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

buy nice or buy twice!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 PM
escoskmv
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a t304 hybrid turbo and a 50mm external w/gate both i bought off ebay from the states. the quality of the turbo is spot on, ive striped it down an inspected it an it looks fine. the castings are in my eyes finnished off better than some other brand named turbos ive had.its runnin on my yb an seems fine and has run 30 psi with no dramas(so far) i had to change springs in the w/gate to make the boost adjustable fron 10 psi instead of 20!. only thing i have noticed is when the car has been sat tickin over for a few mins an you rev it i get a puff of smoke from the exhaust every now an then! sounds like i could do with a restrickter? anyone no were to get one from???. for a cheep shite turbo its not doin to bad so far....time an thrash will tell thow

Old 12-08-2010, 07:57 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by lsdmotosport
i have a t304 hybrid turbo and a 50mm external w/gate both i bought off ebay from the states. the quality of the turbo is spot on, ive striped it down an inspected it an it looks fine. the castings are in my eyes finnished off better than some other brand named turbos ive had.its runnin on my yb an seems fine and has run 30 psi with no dramas(so far) i had to change springs in the w/gate to make the boost adjustable fron 10 psi instead of 20!. only thing i have noticed is when the car has been sat tickin over for a few mins an you rev it i get a puff of smoke from the exhaust every now an then! sounds like i could do with a restrickter? anyone no were to get one from???. for a cheep shite turbo its not doin to bad so far....time an thrash will tell thow

i can machine you one uo out of brass if you send me the sizes, as i work in a machine shop glad to hear your sucess with the turbos also. it seems people are affraid of the unknown.

Last edited by chaffe; 12-08-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Chaffe,

They are the best turbo's you can buy. They will last for thousands or miles at 4 bar of boost. They have a 5 year warranty even if you run the turbo dry of oil. Any engine damage caused by a broken turbo WILL be covered by the slanty eyed ones.

I hope that is the answer you were looking for and you are now confident of buying a cheap ebay turbo
sarcasm is the lowest form of whit, if you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing, and if you read the thread properly you would understand that brazilians dont have "slanty" eyes. And i was always confident about eBay turbos, if this thread doesnt interest you then dont post! otherwise it is you who is being argumental no?

Last edited by chaffe; 12-08-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Originally Posted by bigryrs
tut tut mr chaffy! but on a serious note im pals with this neep and i can vouch for all 3 turbos that hes been talking about as ive owned both the cars with the turbos bolted onto them!! and i also know the 3rd engine and the turbos are all fine but tbh i wouldnt go and buy one!
cheers mate, erm technicaly you did by two lol.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

sarcasm is the lowest form of whit, if you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing, and if you read the thread properly you would understand that brazilians dont have "slanty" eyes. And i was always confident about eBay turbos, if this thread doesnt interest you then dont post! otherwise it is you who is being argumental no?
yes, but you only just found via this thread that some of the cheap turbos are produced in Brazil and now you go on like you knew it all the time
Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

im not that clever yet mate, any of the new chinese ones though, they are all the same im sure

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Chaffe,

May i point out the bit on bold. It is you who mentioned Chinese not me. I never said anyone was being argumentative. You did
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

yes i did, but i was corrected, i had a squint at your cos thread, looks nice, seems like you have spent a lot of money, this thread isnt really directed at yourself, more towards budjet builds/ diy tuners, good luck with the rest of you saff project though
Old 12-08-2010, 09:17 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Chaffe,

my saff is budget spec, big power hence why i came on this thread. Ok my saff was a test bed engine for MAD with the vi-pec and big power from a non-ported head so more costly than the normal DIY build I would advise you to go to a proper turbo company. My sarcasm above was to try and get you thinking properly. Hope all goes well with yours mate
Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

TBH if you want a cheap turbo for your BOA lump, why not just use a secondhand T3 from a cossie?
Will do 300bhp no drama, cheap to rebuild, readily available.

Given the choice between a 150 quid ebay turbo and a 150 quid secondhand garrett, id take the garrett everytime!

Quick Reply: Cheap eBay Turbos!?