General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford Focus ST170

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:23 PM
sleotrex
TP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Focus ST170

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a shiny new 2004 Ford Focus st170 and I am loving it.
I just have a few questions about it which I hope you people might be able to help me with.

The car is in perfect condition. I payed an AA mechanic to check it over thoroughly before I bought it and it was completely free of faults. This, however, makes me slightly nervous when driving it, especially when driving it fast, as I do not want to ruin anything on this perfect car.

My first question is this:
I have been caning my car quite a bit recently (I have only had it for a week) and I am thoroughly enjoying the power. I am worried though that this may have a negative effect on the engine (eg. gradual reduction in horsepower due to excessive wear or damage to the engine).
When caning it I rev it up to 7000 rpm in each gear. What affects may this have on the engine in the long term?

I don't intend on caning it every day. Just every now and then for fun.
How often is it ok to put my foot down up to 7000rpm in each gear without causing a loss of horsepower or any damage in the long run (the long run being about 4 years which is how long I intend to own the car).

I am very happy with the car and as you probably tell, I don't want to cause it any damage or wear it out during the time I own it.

Advice on to what extent I can cane it and how often (within what limitations) to keep it in good condition and minimise loss of horsepower over the next 4 years would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and looking forward to replies from all of you,

Tom
Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 PM
simon170
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They love to be thrashed, look after it and service it well and it will be fine. Let it warm up and dont thrash it fom cold.

Your worrying too much, change the oil every 5k, only give a beating when warm and your laughing
Old 10-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Firstly, welome to PF

ST170 is a cracking motor with a great chassis. If you look after and service it regulary using good quality oil and ensure you allow the oil time to warm up properly before giving it death then you should be able to enjoy it. Spirited driving will of course accelerate wear on components but tbh I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

I look forward to your next post which will probably be "How can I get a bit more out of it"
Old 10-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once mine is up to normal temps I drive it resonably hard most times I drive it.

15k miles and all is well shes done 75k now and she's fine.

Beat the bitch and enjoy.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
sleotrex
TP

Yea I always wait for it to warm up. Good advice

Last edited by sleotrex; 11-08-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
sleotrex
TP

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Firstly, welome to PF

ST170 is a cracking motor with a great chassis. If you look after and service it regulary using good quality oil and ensure you allow the oil time to warm up properly before giving it death then you should be able to enjoy it. Spirited driving will of course accelerate wear on components but tbh I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

I look forward to your next post which will probably be "How can I get a bit more out of it"

Thanks. Yea I'm sure once I've got used to the 170 bhp I'll be looking for more horses to keep up the thrill .
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM
bazza250

Whats the most cost effective way of improving performance?
Very happy with mine,just want a bit more get up and go lol
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

Exhaust pulley - 5 to 14bhp depending on your luck
Bluefin
Decat + MIL-eliminator

Don't touch exhaust/manifold.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza250
Whats the most cost effective way of improving performance?
Very happy with mine,just want a bit more get up and go lol

making sure the throttle opens fully is the first thing to do as most need adjusting!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Try working a bit on the driving skill. No offence, but there is more to driving fast than trying to reach a target of 7000rpm before every gear change!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

didnt think there was any point in Re mapping a naturally aspirated car. (thats what everyone has ever said to me)

Getting an ST170 to stop going in a strieght line everytime it sees a corner at any speed is one of the first issues i would address.

Tighten the front end up and suspension on the whole before you start thinking about mods to the engine because if you leave it naturally aspirated then you are not going to get any worthwhile power gains IMO.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
didnt think there was any point in Re mapping a naturally aspirated car. (thats what everyone has ever said to me)

Getting an ST170 to stop going in a strieght line everytime it sees a corner at any speed is one of the first issues i would address.

Tighten the front end up and suspension on the whole before you start thinking about mods to the engine because if you leave it naturally aspirated then you are not going to get any worthwhile power gains IMO.

True, you can throw a couple of grand at an ST170 and you will be lucky if you see 10bhp! Thats why I got rid of mine, was like flogging a dead horse, in more ways than one!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
?????? I've always found the Focus to have a cracking chassis
Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 AM
CoupeUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by sleotrex
Thanks. Yea I'm sure once I've got used to the 170 bhp I'll be looking for more horses to keep up the thrill .
You'll be lucky!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:12 AM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my ST170 from brand new and drove it hard everyday of its live for 56000 miles until i sold it and it never skipped a beat engine wise.

They need to be revved.

Bluefin, decat and exhaust and panel filter was all i done to mine. I didnt need the MIL elimiantor as my engine warning light never came on. Well only once when i did a jump and broke the manifold and lambda sensor off

The bluefin made it rev a bit more and seemed smoother with it but no real notacible power gains from tbh. As are the decat and exhust also it was just a nice note rather than power gains.

Last edited by daviddunlop83; 12-08-2010 at 10:16 AM.