General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Attn all fishing people help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM
B16JUS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn all fishing people help needed

Ive been fishing a few times with friends and fed up of being the one watching and having a go every now and then so ive just splashed out on a 13ft shimano catana rod and need some advise re reels as i really have no idea and wondered what you guys would recomend

J
Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM
mr_joe0606
Advanced PassionFord User

What sort off fishing are you doing mate? Ie river, lake, sea

Joe
Old 08-08-2010, 07:37 PM
B16JUS

Sorry its lake fishing
Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

a bait runner reel anything from shimano or daiwa will be good really, browning do some nice stuff too but i'd stick to the first 2 for a good bait runner reel, shimano will be of better quality but you'll pay for it depends on what you wanna spend?

good luck with your fishing though i really enjoy it as something relaxing to do when i can't be arsed to do nothing else but sit down and chill out
Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
gouch1

shimano bait runners are all good reels some can be pricy but a good reel allways is start off with a chepish one or sec hand then as you progress ugrade gear i always say its how and where you fish not what you fish with
Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 PM
mr_joe0606

What are you fishing for? Sorry i dont no the rod off hand so what is it?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by B16JUS
Sorry its lake fishing
my guess above and with buying a catana rod your after carp? if this is true then my above posts still stands

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2010, 07:42 PM
B16JUS

Would something like this be good ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-BAITRU...ht_1460wt_1139

dont want to get too into it lol ( famous last words )
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by huautos
shimano bait runners are all good reels some can be pricy but a good reel allways is start off with a chepish one or sec hand then as you progress ugrade gear i always say its how and where you fish not what you fish with
very good advice i'd say get a shimano bait runner but a second hand one off ebay i'v got a michell i'v had for prob's near 15 years and it's still as good to use so age don't really affect them and it's had a right battering over the years and been in the river once or twice when i was younger too
Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM
B16JUS

Yea i think it was mainly carp in there a few other names but i dont remember what they are

basically looking for a rod reel sleeve to come in at approx Ł150

so far

Shimano 13ft rodd Ł80
Poss reel above Ł50 approx
nice sleeve Ł20

might get a set of floats and all the other bits i can use theres lol
Old 08-08-2010, 07:47 PM
B16JUS

This is ending in 20 min would it be ok ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-AERO-5...#ht_500wt_1154
Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Would something like this be good ?

dont want to get too into it lol ( famous last words )
yes that would be fine mate if your ok with spending Ł50 on a reel have a shop round don't spend it if you don't wanna, but if you think you might get into your fishing quite a bit then it's worth paying that little extra for a reel you can keep with you
Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 PM
B16JUS

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
yes that would be fine mate if your ok with spending Ł50 on a reel have a shop round don't spend it if you don't wanna, but if you think you might get into your fishing quite a bit then it's worth paying that little extra for a reel you can keep with you
I dont mind paying good money for a good product as also if i ever wanted to sell up want something that will sell rather than just bin or boot sale
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM
burnzy
burnzy

This is ending in 20 min would it be ok ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-AERO-5...#ht_500wt_1154
that would be better as it has 2 ball bearing in it would make it smother to use has all the functions like the other one only don't have the twin handle but that makes next to no difference really.

and you wan't the bait runner as when your carp fishing you'll have the rod on bite alarms and it'll let the fish pull the line off as it shoots off without pulling your new rod into the water will be still fine to catch all other fish on too
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM
B16JUS

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
that would be better as it has 2 ball bearing in it would make it smother to use has all the functions like the other one only don't have the twin handle but that makes next to no difference really.

and you wan't the bait runner as when your carp fishing you'll have the rod on bite alarms and it'll let the fish pull the line off as it shoots off without pulling your new rod into the water will be still fine to catch all other fish on too
so second hand better and might end up cheaper that the other one lol result

funny you say that some guy cast his line and it got a bite straight away and off went his rod into the water it took aged for them to get it back trying to cast a line to grab it

was funny
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM
burnzy
burnzy

I dont mind paying good money for a good product as also if i ever wanted to sell up want something that will sell rather than just bin or boot sale
i don't too as you but i payed Ł80 for my coarse shimano reel they where selling close tho the Ł120 mark but it is really nice to use, i rercently bought a browning baitrunner as my mate borrowed my daiwa ages ago and then lost it and it seem's a little tacky compared to my shimano but then it only cost Ł30 so to be expected.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:00 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure its a carp rod and not a match rod
if it is a match rod you dont really want a baitrunner on it
see if you can find a link to the exact rod you have and you will get better advice and are you the same B16JUS thats on tp
Old 08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
B16JUS

This is the rod

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_817wt_1139

yea on TP too

whats the difference between a carp rod and match ?

Last edited by B16JUS; 08-08-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 PM
burnzy
burnzy

so second hand better and might end up cheaper that the other one lol result

funny you say that some guy cast his line and it got a bite straight away and off went his rod into the water it took aged for them to get it back trying to cast a line to grab it

was funny
yea well it won't be as much as it's second hand it looks in good nick so you won't even know the difference between brand new and this one like i said i'v given most of my reels and rods a hard time and the only thing that show's wear and tear from lots of use is the rod's really

i'v been close in the past when baitrunners where relativley not heard of daiwa where the first to bring them out iirc, and had to catch the rod as it came off the rests and i once had brought my pole into the side for some reason and as it just sat in the water a carp took the bait and proeeded to swim around infront of me with my pole attached to it (as its only light it didn't notice it was hooked) luckily i hooked onto my pole with my other rod and nearly caught the fish still if it wasn't for this lad i knew who snapped the line before i got it into the net.

not a funny sight if it's your rod flying through the water proper hysterical if your watching someone else running round after there rod thought
Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 PM
burnzy
burnzy

This is the rod

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_817wt_1139

yea on TP too

whats the difference between a carp rod and match ?
aha! my bad yea bait runner isn't really need i searched catana on net just and only found the carp rod so made my own asumption sos, but still stick with shimano there deffo the better make of reels.

you could still use a smaller bait runner but like said if it's on your coarse rod it's not deffo needed, i still use one as you set the drag and it 's just piece of mind if you aren't 100% engrosed on your rod and something does take it it won't go into the lake

and the difference is a carp rod is alot stronger and you usually only detect bites through a bite alarm your match/coarse rod is lighter allowing to keep the line taught on smaller fish by using the bend in the rod and you can use the tip of the rod as an indicator by resting the rod at a near 90 deg angle to where your bait is and putting tension on the line till there is a slight bend in the rod thus being able to show whether the fish pulls on you bait towards you or away from you, or you can use a float with the match rod aswell

Last edited by burnzy; 08-08-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

a match rod would usually use lighter line than a carp rod 2lb - 8lb line with a match type reel
a carp rod you would use 8lb - 15lb line as the eyes will be much bigger etc
i would pop into your local tackle shop and tell them where your fishing and what for and the rod you have and they will show you some reels
i have 5 shimano baitrunners but never use them on a match rod
as above you could use one of the smaller models of baitrunner and you could then use it on a ledgering rod once you progress on to that
where in essex are you as there are loads of good tackle shops around

Last edited by 220tel; 08-08-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by 220tel
a match rod would usually use lighter line than a carp rod 2lb - 8lb line with a match type reel
a carp rod you would use 8lb - 15lb line as the eyes will be much bigger etc
i would pop into your local tackle shop and tell them where your fishing and what for and the rod you have and they will show you some reels
i have 5 shimano baitrunners but never use them on a match rod
i still use them when feeder fishing on my quiver but not a big pit bait runner as some of them have really gotten more compact like the little browning one i bought, i just set the free drag really high so i can still take the slack on the line and get some bend on the quiver.

it is all down to preference i do agree that on a match rod it's not really needed just i find it a saftey measure if your not 100% focused as a carp or other large fish decides to run off with your bait
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

yes mate i agree and as i edited my post above it would double up for ledgering once he progresses on to bigger fish as most do
Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 PM
B16JUS

Im romford

That second hand one went for 37 so left it

for a starter would a baitrunner reel make that much odds on a match rod ? is it worth waiting for another used one or shall i just get the new one below as its the same seller so i can get them to post it with the rod

Old 08-08-2010, 08:34 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

i know its not new but i have a reel like this one, it would be about perfect for the rod you have, also has 2 spools so you have have two different breaking strains of line on depending on what fishing your doing or fish your after

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Sahara...item35ab5d3280
Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM
burnzy
burnzy

it's a toughy now as i said before i didn't realise shimano made two different rod's with the same name

as we have both said if you think your going to stick with the fishing then yes it'll be worth it as you can use it just like a normal reel just you have the bait runner on it if and when needed, i'll have a look at some normal shimano reels and see what i can post up but that first one you put up is still a good buy if you stick with your fishing it'll stay in your tackle box as it's a worthy reel
Old 08-08-2010, 08:40 PM
B16JUS

Originally Posted by kitchy
i know its not new but i have a reel like this one, it would be about perfect for the rod you have, also has 2 spools so you have have two different breaking strains of line on depending on what fishing your doing or fish your after

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Sahara...item35ab5d3280

brand new Ł55

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-SAHARA...#ht_1939wt_913

so at the moment its between

shimano aero 5000 xe ( baitrunner )
shimano sahara 3000fd ( 3 bearings )

Last edited by B16JUS; 08-08-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

brand new Ł55

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-SAHARA...#ht_1939wt_913

so at the moment its between

shimano aero 5000 xe ( baitrunner )
shimano sahara 3000fd ( 3 bearings )
that is a us spec reel mate and going by the size of that handle and its line capacity is used for spinning rather than sticking on a match rod
i wish my oldest lad was here as he works in a tackle shop but guess where the little shit is (fishing) lol
i really would go into a local shop as a lot of these reels come in various sizes
have a look here for example http://www.bowlersangling.co.uk/Shor...4&sub=SHIMCREE
Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM
B16JUS

Have i purchased the wrong rod really ?

would i be better of with something like this ? as i can always ask them to change the order then i can go for the baitrunner reel ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SHIMANO-AL...f#ht_533wt_913
Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 PM
burnzy
burnzy

the only trouble is that sahara reel is more designed for spinning than anything else, here is a catana reel so would suit your rod as they come from the same line of products comes in cheaper at Ł26 but only has 2 Ball Bearing and a Roller Bearing will still be a good reel though.

the tough bit is knowing whether you'd keep the fishing going as spending Ł26 on a reel is a bit easier than Ł55, you'd be fine on that catana reel but obviously you just don't have the bait runner for further progression of your fishing

on another note you could also look at it as if you do progress you could get yourself a carp rod if your fishing on lakes mostly and then buy the bait runner to go with the carp rod so you'd then have 2 rods to use if you really wanted with reels to match the rods

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Catana...#ht_1436wt_828
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

Yea i think it was mainly carp in there a few other names but i dont remember what they are

basically looking for a rod reel sleeve to come in at approx Ł150

so far

Shimano 13ft rodd Ł80
Poss reel above Ł50 approx
nice sleeve Ł20

might get a set of floats and all the other bits i can use theres lol
i was also going on this mate
were you float fishing when you went with your mates before
if yes and thats what you want to try then the match rod is the correct rod
if they were fishing with lead weights only as in ledgering then you would need a type of specimen rod
if carp fishing then a carp rod and baitrunner style of reel is what you need
Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 PM
B16JUS

if they were fishing with lead weights only as in ledgering then you would need a type of specimen rod
They were using floats yes which is what i would want to do.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Have i purchased the wrong rod really ?

would i be better of with something like this ? as i can always ask them to change the order then i can go for the baitrunner reel ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SHIMANO-AL...f#ht_533wt_913
if it was just the straight carp rod you brought then the advice would of been pretty simple as it's mostly bog standard stuff for fishing for carp and not so many variables when it comes to the basic tackle, unlike a match rod or quiver

you might not of bought the wrong rod but as we don't know the lake you fish with your mates and what type of fishing you get upto then this is why it's eventually been put to just go into the local tackle shop and get your advice from there, sorry mate i tried but i also would feel bad if you did end up with the wrong gear as i think you need some more info on what where and how your fishing to make the right choice here
Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 PM
burnzy
burnzy

+1

also that catana reel i posted up a few posts before would be fine for float fishing you won't need a bait runner to float fish with as you'll always have the rod in you hand
Old 08-08-2010, 09:28 PM
B16JUS

Thanks for all your help guys, will be funny seeing the look on my mates face when i meet them next esp turning up with a rod lol

just need to sort a licence out next
Old 08-08-2010, 09:37 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

honestly mate please pop into your local tackle shop and try a couple out to see what feels right in YOUR hands
float reels will usually have two spools one shallow for light line say 2lb breaking strain and a deeper one that would take say 6lb line if you fancied a bit of ledgering while you had the traditional afternoon kip
Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM
220tel
PassionFord Regular

Thanks for all your help guys, will be funny seeing the look on my mates face when i meet them next esp turning up with a rod lol

it would be some much funnier if you turned up with a 14ft beachcaster and multiplier but a bit expensive for a joke
enjoy it and you have a hobby for life
Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 PM
burnzy
burnzy

thats ok no probs, and you can buy your license online through the post office website and can fish as soon as it's purchased, then just carry the card once it arrives

it would be some much funnier if you turned up with a 14ft beachcaster and multiplier but a bit expensive for a joke
enjoy it and you have a hobby for life
...... i also wish you the best of luck with your new hobby it can bring some really good times it's a great sport to get away from it all