General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Dickhead Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Dickhead Buyer

Hi Guys

Im not a trader but do seem to go through cars like hot dinners

Anyway I sold my bmw cabbie today, Now the guy took 1 hour 30 mins to look round and buy the car testing roof many times.

He just rung me saying roof would not come up!!!!!!!

Now the car is sold as seen so as far as im concerned he can whistle

However i have kids and he could come round getting lairy, Now if he did i would be forced to hurt him bad....

But i dont want to.

So whatds the score!!! What should i do???????

My first response is to igonore him but if he comes to my house i cant be responsible for my actions.

What so you think

Cheers

Rob
Old 10-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Slackbladder
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you ever have problems with the roof?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

you cannot ignore him, let him come round but be prepared for a kick off.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

personally, I would leave it and ignore him, only i he comes round deal with it
by the way have you ever had a problem with the roof? if its sold as seen and he tested it anway i don't see where hes coming from
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

sold as seen, is a total myth, check the trade descrptions act!

traders try to use that line and by law it doesnt count, if you rtrade you must supply a 3 months warranty.

general public have no such rule and can sell what ever they want, its his word against yours. Tell the guy to ram it, if he comes round you were defending your home and family....
Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 PM
johnandhissaffy
white fords look best

if yhe comes round getting all lemon give him a slap and say dont come round my house doing this shit when my kids are here
Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

if he tested it surely your not responsible for it malfunctioning ?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 PM
cameron2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell him to fuck off! His wife/ husband probably doesnt like it because its not pink.
If he comes round kicking off either kick his fucking head in or ring the bizzers!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

he tryed it...

Im not a trader, Ive never had a problem with roof.

The receipt was filled out as a private seller telling him it was sold as seen.

If he ever come round he would get a slap.

I Just dont want it on my doorstep.

He put the roof up and down 5 times with no problems.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

he's probably done one of the fuses in the boot putting it up and down so much!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by johnandhissaffy
if yhe comes round getting all lemon give him a slap and say dont come round my house doing this shit when my kids are here
Lemon ???
Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Lemon ???
lol...

Whatever hes done surely its not my problem!!!!

the cars is sold as seen simple as!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Captain500rs
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Lemon ???
Bitter bud
Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be something simple like the handle in the boot not home properly causing the roof not to work
Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by carlo
Could be something simple like the handle in the boot not home properly causing the roof not to work
of course but either way its not my problem surely!"
Old 10-07-2010, 07:48 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You can't quote 'sold as seen' as it doesn't mean anything. However if he tested it in your presence and it worked, then it's now his lookout. You've not falsely advertised it (which it the only legal standing he'd have) so be civil, but let him know it's not you're fault, or your problem.

You could suggest offering to have a look to make sure he's doing it correctly, but other than that he's on his own. Probably got all excited about having a convertible and burnt the motors out
Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks dan!

ive said to him i necer had a problem, Which i didint. I will gladly help him but i dont know what he expects, he has not rang me back since so he can jog on really.

I knocked Ł500 off the car anyway.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

tell him to fuck off whenever i sell a car i always tell them its got a turnkey warranty, you turn the key and the warranty is finished most people laugh at this thinking im joking but im not! as far as im concerned you buy a car second hand privatley then its tough shit if the engine falls out at the end of the road. if it was me buying the car and i got to the end of the road and something happens i wouldnt even think of ringing the previous owner its my car now and its my own fault for not checking it so tough shit

like i said before tell him to fuck off it aint your problem anymore
Old 10-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tell him it worked fine, all five times he did it when he was checking it over, you feel for him, but he was happy enough with the car to buy it, so its his problem. if he comes round giving it billy big bollocks, kick him, in the bollocks.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:55 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Im not for one min saying it is mate just saying it could be something simple he is over seeing & over reacting either way its his problem
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

tell him to do one, he tested it in front you he was happy with it, so bought it then if hes broke something since its not your problem mate
Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

The car is sold, tell him to fuck off.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ive been polite. because bthats the sort of guy i am but if he rings me again im going to tell him to do one.
he bidded me down becasue of various things, the car was the cheapest in 100 mile radius.

What does he expect me to do!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
stuboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

he's fucked it so now fuck off
Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Advise him of the nearest BMW garage and hang up lol
Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well he hasnt rang back, Thing is he was a nice guy...

Ill just tell him he bought it sold as seen, I have never had a problem with roof simple as.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tbh mate those hoods play up all the time anyway so it's not really your problem at all.as a few have said on here,help him anyway you can as said although Its definatley not ur problem.I'd guess he's got it working fine now,might have been something silly like the boot not fully closed or he'd had it rolling or something,it may have just been he'd panicked and done something wrong.I imagine down your way there's loads of people who work on those hoods for very little cash so im sure all will be fine.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Ask him, say, "What exactly do you want me to do about it?" If he says something that you deem reasonable and that you'd appreciate not expect somebody would do for you then do it.

If you deem him as being unreasonable then tell him to fuck off, perhaps he just needs advice in regards to it, so I'd probably suggest pointing him towards an owners forum of some sorts.

I remember when I sold my car the lad came back and said he didn't have a clue how to work anything, I said no problem and sat with him for 30 minutes or so just showing him where the controls were and the quirks of the car. I didn't have to but I'd like somoene to do it for me.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cutch
sold as seen, is a total myth, check the trade descrptions act!

traders try to use that line and by law it doesnt count, if you rtrade you must supply a 3 months warranty.

general public have no such rule and can sell what ever they want, its his word against yours. Tell the guy to ram it, if he comes round you were defending your home and family....
Load of shite

I have sold a few cossies with no warranty what so ever and even tho i am trade i CAN legaly sell a car with no warranty what so ever

Most of the " myths " are regarding trade sales
Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
Load of shite

I have sold a few cossies with no warranty what so ever and even tho i am trade i CAN legaly sell a car with no warranty what so ever

I don't normally bother replying to threads like this anymore because there's so many people spouting unsubstantiated rubbish that they've heard down the pub or grasped half of the end of a story.

Let them get on with the bad advice Paul because the correct stuff from people that do it for a living normally falls on deaf ears.

To help the OP out, if you're not a trader and it really was a private sale, then this simple fact is clearly written if you're worried about your legal obligations: "Buyer Beware".
Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

car was privately sold from my house hand written receipt etc etc.

Advert was a private advert in autotrader. He didnt ring back last night so i think he must have got it sorted.

A good friend of mine is in the trade with 50 cars in the paper, As far as he is concerned as a trader you can put anything you like on a receipt as a trader and in court you will still lose the case if the car was unfit for purpose.

He always offers to repair the car.

Hes been trading for 20 years and is a multi millionaire so i personally beleive him.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Load of shite

You don't have to offer any kind of warranty, but the Sale of Goods Act would still apply.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:23 AM
j6kyt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

tell him to poke it, it was fine when u sold it to him.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Load of shite

This is the law, taken from the Trading Standards website:

"When you buy goods from a trader, you enter into a legally binding contract governed by the Sale of Goods Act 1979, as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.
If you buy a used car from a trader it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for the purpose, and as described. Obviously a very old car with a high mileage will not be as good as a newer car with a low mileage, but it should still be fit for use on the road, in a condition which reflects its age and price, and reliable.

Traders cannot take away consumer's rights by using terms such as ‘sold as seen’.

Your legal rights are reduced if you buy a car from a private seller or an auction. If you buy a used car via the internet, you may have additional rights under the Distance Selling Regulations."

There doesn't have to be a warranty - the law is on your side.

sorry mate, your wrong. One thing though, you are a breaker? if you sold it with no mot etc i doubt it would count, but if you sell a car that is roadworthy you are legally bound to a 3 month warranty...(think its 3 months) i'm not a lawyer mate, but i did check up on it when i was trading cars and its true, i cant find the webpage that has all the different items ie, electrical, motor vehicles, builders blah blah but it did say that car traders are subject to a 3 month warranty whether they like it or not. Saying that, it would be a real pain in the arse to go through the process.....lawyers, court etc

editd to say, if i am wrong i appologise but i dont think i am mate. will keep trying to find the page for you.

Last edited by cutch; 11-07-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Who was it on here that had a similar thing and so offered to get one thing sorted, then another and another etc?

He tested it, and was happy to buy it, it was sold as described and he got a Ł500 discount on the car.

Be polite but firm, it was working when he bought it and it is now his car. Chances are that it is something like a fuse blown where he has been showing off with it up ansd down up and down etc.

Personally I would keep contact short and to the point or he will be phoning every other day.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by cutch
This is the law, taken from the Trading Standards website:

"When you buy goods from a trader, you enter into a legally binding contract governed by the Sale of Goods Act 1979, as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.
If you buy a used car from a trader it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for the purpose, and as described. Obviously a very old car with a high mileage will not be as good as a newer car with a low mileage, but it should still be fit for use on the road, in a condition which reflects its age and price, and reliable.

Traders cannot take away consumer's rights by using terms such as ‘sold as seen’.

Your legal rights are reduced if you buy a car from a private seller or an auction. If you buy a used car via the internet, you may have additional rights under the Distance Selling Regulations."

There doesn't have to be a warranty - the law is on your side.

sorry mate, your wrong. One thing though, you are a breaker? if you sold it with no mot etc i doubt it would count, but if you sell a car that is roadworthy you are legally bound to a 3 month warranty...(think its 3 months) i'm not a lawyer mate, but i did check up on it when i was trading cars and its true, i cant find the webpage that has all the different items ie, electrical, motor vehicles, builders blah blah but it did say that car traders are subject to a 3 month warranty whether they like it or not. Saying that, it would be a real pain in the arse to go through the process.....lawyers, court etc

editd to say, if i am wrong i appologise but i dont think i am mate. will keep trying to find the page for you.
As Paddy says mate , I do this for a living and know fine well what i can and cant " legaly " do

and i CAN sell a car with no warranty what so ever even if the car has a MOT and is Taxed

The " 3 months " legal warranty aplies by law IF warranty was NOT discussed when the car was sold , then the buyer legaly gets 3 months , BUT if the purchase was made and a NO warranty due to many factors was talked about and before the sale was agrred then a no warranty sale is quite legal ( as long as CORRECTLY documented )

the sale of goods act means that ALL items sold must be " fit for purpose " but as long as they / it was at the time of sale , and or documemnted that the item , s may not be then again the cover is there for a no warranty sale .
Its like me selling a second hand used cosworth engine , I CAN sell it with no warranty what so ever as long as i write the correct words on the reciept

As much as buyers hate it there are such things as a no warranty sale

I personaly have never had any issues with my sales as i make it quite clear how and if a warranty is ir isnt given and if the buyer isnt happy then they dont buy , and if they do buy i am always willing to help out if somthing goes wrong

everyone who ever sells anything WILL have somthing go wrong , its how the seller deals with it that means the differance between him having a good or bad reputation

Always remember there are plenty of folk out there who love to try and rip of a trader also
Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

paul and paddy are correct.

ive sold many cars stated "sold as spares or repairs" and the cars are perfectly roadworthy but due to age/mileage etc its the only way i can sell them.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
paul and paddy are correct.

ive sold many cars stated "sold as spares or repairs" and the cars are perfectly roadworthy but due to age/mileage etc its the only way i can sell them.

Thats the key Jay

perfectly legal and removes any warranty what so ever , even the sale of goods act cant do anything about that
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

I'd love to do a deal with some of you on here with your really helpful courteous attitudes
Old 11-07-2010, 10:43 AM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

have to make sure that that is not on the reciept on my next car then lol.

Quick Reply: Dickhead Buyer