General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

cleaning engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default cleaning engine bay

had to do some work on the FRS as it sprung a leak, and replaced thermostat, and have done a mini service. due to a previous oil leak i cleaned (gunk) the top of the 'box as i had the thermostat off.

now everything is back together i want to clean the engine bay, i know wd40 is good for hoses, but what to use on the other surfaces, painted and plastic?? i have plastic gel to blacken the parts up after but not sure what to clean with?

suggestions anyone?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 AM
rich123
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use jizzer or tf6 just spray it on leave it for 30 mins and then pressure washer all the shit off
Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rich123
i use jizzer or tf6 just spray it on leave it for 30 mins and then pressure washer all the shit off
whats jizzer?? tf is traffic film remover right? what does the number refer to?

any tips to jetwashing? dont wanna ruin the engine if it can be avoided
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 AM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use more WD40, good stuff really. Works on dashes too
Old 10-07-2010, 09:51 AM
rich123

tf is traffic film remover and the number is the strenth of it,jizzer is a degreeser good stuff sell alot of it at work,along with the oil soon to be selling fuchs oils like titan pro s 10w60 etc
Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 AM
rich123

Originally Posted by gingeRS
whats jizzer?? tf is traffic film remover right? what does the number refer to?

any tips to jetwashing? dont wanna ruin the engine if it can be avoided

leave the engine running
Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rich123
tf is traffic film remover and the number is the strenth of it,jizzer is a degreeser good stuff sell alot of it at work,along with the oil soon to be selling fuchs oils like titan pro s 10w60 etc
so the number goes up as the strength increases?

just need something i can spray on, then jetwash off to give the engine a clean.

some people have recomended TFR's for washigng cars (in very diluted conditions) and other people have said dont touch the stuff?

what are the issues?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM
rich123

no i use them all the time for washing cars i use fleetwash but the tf range is good but dont go higher than the 5 or 6 or it may take ur paint off
Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 AM
stephenbatey

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-07-2010, 10:36 AM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to get it looking really nice and not using harsh chemicals like tfr i,d recommend spending just a little on dedicated products for this being as its a new FRS or newish....

I use a product that polished bliss sell (PB are in the concours d'elagance section)its a friendly degreaser that wont harm anything and will beutify especially in a new bay .

You will see best results if you agitate the dirt after spraying n leaving for a few minutes. In my experience do this to a cold engine.

Once you,ve done this just use a watering can to gently rinse off dont go mad and make sure any delicate electrical components are covered up and try to not go mental with water there. Also your airfilter intake should be covered over too.

I dress my hoses , plastics with a dedicated product too , 303 aerospace sprayed over the bay then leave n wipe excess after . some prefer to dress individual items .

All sprayable products, once its minty mint it wont take much each time you do it, i do mine every 2 months or so

hth
mike
Old 13-07-2010, 06:47 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by opposite lock

I use a product that polished bliss sell (PB are in the concours d'elagance section)its a friendly degreaser that wont harm anything and will beutify especially in a new bay .
what is this first product called?

Originally Posted by opposite lock
I dress my hoses , plastics with a dedicated product too , 303 aerospace sprayed over the bay then leave n wipe excess after . some prefer to dress individual items .
i have heard alot about these 'aerospace' products? how come they have been adopted by the detailing trade? are they good, i've only had experience of the high street stuff such as megs, autoglym etc
Old 13-07-2010, 11:30 AM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I,d personaly say the 'high street stuff' will still do a good job , TFR is exellent at cleaning but its a very harsh chemical . If your bay is totally minging with years of thick grime etc then yeah pull the TFR out or better still use proper steam machines with no chemicals needed.

Most of us dont have these (although i intend too) so chemicals are needed.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...dressings.html
here,s a link to a page on PB , i use the EIMANN FABRIK degreaser although the megs one is there for a good price for the amount but will be very good aswell

The Aerospace 303 dressing is superb imo , used for interiors and plastics which can also do very well in the bay. Its used by the aircraft industry as the 303 is a very good uv protector , stopping fading and discolouration etc same as on our cars. It will also give the look of fresh 'new' appearance not glossy or greasy , a nice matt in a bling kinda way

Try some you,ll love it , but of course as usual these arent the only products out there but i know from using them they are worth the money

mike

Last edited by opposite lock; 13-07-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added content