General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone Been To Turkey? Im looking for some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Anyone Been To Turkey? Im looking for some advice...

Hi Guys,
I am looking to slip away to Turkey for a couple off weeks in September and wonder if any of you have stayed over there all inclusive and can recommend anywhere good?

Also appreciate advice on what areas to stay and not to stay if any of you have any experience of the place?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:46 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Stu i work for Intercontinental Hotels so if you need a discount on either of their hotels pm me and i will see what i can sort
Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 AM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i wouldnt go again the women just get hassel unless you with them the clubs are full turkish men. beaches not that good shame as i can go every year for free,just flyts to pay for
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stu just booked here myself for September had a good look round and reviews etc.

Settled with this one in the end.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destination...aya-belek.html

Few years ago stayed here which was awesome too just on the outskirts of Marmaris and a 5-10min walk and you were into local nightlife.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destination...rand-azur.html

Be warned the local market asistants are a pain with the girls!!

All in all cant beat it for price at moment!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
DazS1Turbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend the WOW Bodrum Resort, Gumbet. Arguably the best hotel in Gumbet, if not the whole of the Bodrum peninsuela.

Amongst a number of fantastic facilities it's got a 24hr bar, it's own air conditioned disco with free drinks until 3:00am, it's own private beach and 3 pools.

Gumbet has a large amount of disco/bars that are open most of the night as does Bodrum which not that far away too.

Here's the reviews for it on tripadvisor:-

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...ean_Coast.html

Can be booked through any Thomas Cook company including Direct Holidays.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to Belek a couple of years ago, 5 star hotel all inclusive, lets just say their idea of a 5 star hotel and mine are 2 very differant things, was full of russians and germans, will not be rushing back
Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM
kermitt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Went to Icmeler a couple of years ago and yes their standards are different to our expectations but quieter than marmaris by a long way.

The 5 star all inclusive places are full of eastern european's and/or German's. The pools are normally quite small in the more popular areas. Make sure air con is included and not chargeable locally cos they tried to skim Ł60 a week for ours. You will need this cos when we were there it was still over 30 deg at midnight.

You do get hassled no matter where you go i.e. the usual come into my restaurant or go one one of my trips, obviously they can tell you have just landed cos of your pasty white skin but as they become familiar and see the sun burn they do tend to ease off a bit. If you can handle that then fair enough.

Imported alcohol i.e Smirnoff is a rip off in most parts but find a good bar and they generally keep their pint glasses in the freezer, bonus!

If I was to go again i would probably go somewhere quieter with a beach that was not stoney. Oh you normally have to pay some gimp for sunbeds too when on the beach.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
rc535
Virgin

Just flown in from Marmaris today. Had a wicked week with the girlfriend. Stayed at club anastasia. Was halfboard though, but the resturant was lovely. Beers were 5.90 tl at the pool. Fairly big pool from looking around at others. Lots of shops selling fake/cheap designer gear. Bought a few shirts from these and seem alright for Ł3 each. Rooms were hot in the night, had aircon in our room, but the unit was in the kitchen/diner area and not in the actual bedroom.

Anyway theres a little review by me
Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanasis
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

come here to Greece Stu,we have beautifull islands and good Peoples ,also the prices are good especially the september!!!also the food is very delicious!! Greek salad,Greek mousaka ect...with the occasion you can see some cossies here to Greece!!!hahhahahha
think about it....
Thanasis
Old 07-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Sp3no

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been to Turkey 6 times, 90% of it is horrible but i found the most amazing location, Olu Deniz, its paradise, i stayed all inclusive there right on the beach and have been back 3 times. If you want a bit more night life you can get a dolmus up the hill to the town but trust me look no further than Olu deniz for the best beach in the med.
Place i stayed way Belcekiz Beach

Last edited by Sp3no; 07-07-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
xr3irally
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

came back from turkey 2 weeks ago, second time i have been. first time was to marmaris, loads to do, good nightlife, nice place but a bit like a sunny blackpool in the centre. as said, people hassle the hell out of you to buy their stuff/eat in their restaurant or go on their trips and are only tidy when they want something. take my advice stay out of the markets they push you to buy till you have to push them away literally. for that reason i wouldnt go back there. bodrum is the same. this year we went to antalya,turkey much more quiet and relaxed, stayed at riu kaya belek 5 star all inclusive, i would definately reccomend the hotel as the staff are excellent,as is the location, service and food. antalya is a lot quieter, less shopping and you have to travel for excursion etc, booked through first choice/thomson, i would go back there tommorow. only bad point were lots of ignorant fekin germans and russians!! hope this helps
Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

I have never been there but I certainly would go anywhere in that region in these times of unrest !

Besides, I hear that the facilities foi yacht mooring there are poor
Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my step daughter has just come back from kos and she went on a boat trip to turkey for a day.
from the second she stepped off the boat she was hassled to death from men which made her quite uncomfortable especially as she is only 18 and was away for the first time with her boyfriend who is 8 stone wet through and felt very overpowered by them.
im sure there are some really nice places over there but i just couldnt be arsed with all the mithering from them!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Got back from Antalya two weeks ago, all inclusive at WOW Topkapi Palace, hotel was very clean and food was good, great for kids with free drinks/ice cream/hot dogs all day. Hotel was rammed with ignorant russians and a LOT of russian prostitutes!!! The area (Antalya) is just not developed enough yet so basically your stuck in the resort. We had a good crack but couldnt possibly recommend it with prostitutes the age of 14 walking away with more than one grown man and your kids asking you what thats all about top weather mind.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
JamesXP
Part of the Furniture

Recently got back from Kusadasi, I didn't enjoy it too much, weather was brilliant but drinks were expensive, the all inclusive hotel was naf, only good think was free drinks till 2am, but the food was mainly catering for the non english people at the hotel, note our hotel had hardly any english families

most of the food was fish, more fish and just very sweet salads and EXTREMELY sweet desserts, the hotel we stayed at was the Cande Festival, I wouldn't reccomend you go to kusadasi or that hotel, and our transfer was 3 hours, it was hell, I have heard better things about other parts of turkey ie; altinkum, and some parts of bodrum, but personally I wouldn't go to turkey again, i'd much prefer tenerife or benidorm even though the weather isn't as good.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM
RSandy

i had a week in october last year at club turban/turban palace, pretty much dead set half way between marmaris and icmeler, in the pine forest

resort was amazing, with private beach, and more bars to visit than i cud cope with! nice and quiet at night if u like that kinda thing, but just 15 mins walk in either direction and ur in marmaris/icmeler with plenty of nightlife to keep u happy

quite a random thing to recommend about it too, but the resort doctor was amazing, 1 of us got tonsilitus really bad, n the doc was there instantly, and available at a moments notice, plus was really good helping out waiving costs until the insurance company could arrange things, most the docs just demand a wedge of cash regardless!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

alot of Brits holiday in Blackpool Stu

Last edited by Turbosystems; 07-07-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 PM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stu, Just been to Bodrum area of Turkey with the mrs. We stayed in a really nice 5 star all inclusive hotel. But I don't think the whole holiday was anywhere as good as the holiday we went on in January.

We went to Marrakech in Morrocco. Stayed in a hotel called "Riu Tikida de Palmeria" It was a 4 star all inclusive holiday through Thomas Cook. Got it as a last minute deal. The hotel and staff were absolutely top class. Location was great as it was just out of town and the hotel provided a free bus into town each day. After 7 pm you had to get your self back, but that was only a Ł10 taxi fare.

There was so much to do. The reps were excellent as they told us where to go and said that we didn't need to go on some of the trips. They gave us advice on the side.

I've been a chef in the Army for 13 years and the food was top class. The bar was free and included cocktails etc. The outdoor pool was massive, the indoor pool was great and the staff did classes too.

Pon has just been to Marrakech too. He asked me what I thought so I showed him a few photos and told him what we got up to. Anyway here's a few pics.

The hotel pool

Name:  MarrakechJan09102.jpg
Views: 2502
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  MarrakechJan09097.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  75.4 KB

The Turtle stunt team at Yves Saint Laurent garden

Name:  MarrakechJan09060.jpg
Views: 2984
Size:  97.4 KB

Random picture of the palms

Name:  MarrakechJan09055.jpg
Views: 2675
Size:  172.5 KB

Prayer tower in the town centre

Name:  MarrakechJan09035.jpg
Views: 2880
Size:  78.0 KB

Paul the rep told us to go to a Cafe on the roof next to the market square in the evening and watch the sunset and the market come alive. Stunning setting to have a meal and a few drinks.

Name:  MarrakechJan09025.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  MarrakechJan09027.jpg
Views: 2629
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  MarrakechJan09029.jpg
Views: 2728
Size:  77.3 KB

A nice dip in the pool at the end of the day

Name:  MarrakechJan09113.jpg
Views: 2984
Size:  77.9 KB

There's better pictures on the website. Really can't recommend the hotel enough

http://www.riu.com/de/Paises/marokko...otel_fotos.jsp

Last edited by CliffRS4; 07-07-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 PM
hevangel

ive never been all inclusive in turkey before, but as luca said, we are staying in belek for a week in september. the only problem with all inclusive places in turkey is that they are not what you would think 5* is.... the all inclusive hotels all seem to be a bit far out from the main towns, usually a short taxi or dolmus ride.

if you do decide to venture outside the hotel, all the restaurant owners desperately try and get you to go in, and are very persistant.
cant fault the weather or the beaches though.

what resort have you been looking at?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by xr3irally
came back from turkey 2 weeks ago, second time i have been. first time was to marmaris, loads to do, good nightlife, nice place but a bit like a sunny blackpool in the centre. as said, people hassle the hell out of you to buy their stuff/eat in their restaurant or go on their trips and are only tidy when they want something. take my advice stay out of the markets they push you to buy till you have to push them away literally. for that reason i wouldnt go back there. bodrum is the same. this year we went to antalya,turkey much more quiet and relaxed, stayed at riu kaya belek 5 star all inclusive, i would definately reccomend the hotel as the staff are excellent,as is the location, service and food. antalya is a lot quieter, less shopping and you have to travel for excursion etc, booked through first choice/thomson, i would go back there tommorow. only bad point were lots of ignorant fekin germans and russians!! hope this helps

Good to hear you liked it Im off there in September - PHEW!!

Il take note of the ignorant ones and make a point of being over friendly and annoying to them!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
hevangel

have a look at the hotel reviews on www.tripadvisor.com too, but just take them with a pinch of salt!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Isaac.Hunt

Hated the place. 5* is more like 2* on the whole and I would have been more relaxed at home in the rain. I've never normally got a bad word to say about holidays but the places (Marmaris and Icmeler) were just not what I would call pleasant. The hotel was nice enough (just a bit basic, so not the issue) but could not wait to come home. Men will hassle anything in a skirt too. People everywhere are trying to nick things from tourists (and I've been a few places where that is warned, Rome is supposedly notorious for it but never saw any evidence of such). Even if you aren't some lanky 8stone bloke it is still annoying having to be on your guard.

I haven't been to Morrocco but everyone I know who has been has raved about it so must be worth a trip, the guy's pictures above look lovely. Italy is very good for a break, the hotels there are more than you would expect, 4* is like 5* and 5* is over and above. Cyprus is always reviewed well. Frankly, anywhere else.

All in all, I'd never ever go there again even if I was paid.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
MannheimAlex

Have been in the Grand Side Club, was awesome!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Sp3no

A picture i took of me paragliding into land on the beach at Olu deniz, how nice is that!! and thats only half the beach, i had just jumped off Babadag mountain!!
Name:  Pictures04-01-08046.jpg
Views: 2508
Size:  43.2 KB

The hotel i stayed in occupies that entire plot of land in the middle with the beach front and 3 roads around it, all them buildings were part of the hotel.
Name:  Pictures04-01-08049.jpg
Views: 3290
Size:  83.7 KB

Last edited by Sp3no; 07-07-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

me and the girlfriend and another 3 couples are off to marmaris for 7 days all inclusive monday after next so will let you know what i thought of it when i get back
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i haven't been, and would not go. i can't be doing with places where you get people in your face all the time.

besides which, i can't think of anything worse than all inclusive. what is the point in going to a foreign country to not experience it through the food and the culture of real places rather than fake resorts?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Fast Guy

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't bother buying any of their cheap fake designer shirts at the market. The die runs like shite so your body ends up the same colour as the shirt and they come out of a cool wash the size of a handkerchief.

I don't know the rest of the fake clothing is as bad or not.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:06 PM
bristol_fez

I went to Olu deniz a few years back and it was very nice. It is a small town which has some good restaurants (and a good tequila bar ) with been quite small we didnt find that you were hassled that much at all. they run some very good boat trips as well.

I have also been to Marrakech, and it was fantastic. Was sat in the same place as that Cliffs photos shows overlooking the main square.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow, thanks for all your info guys, I really appreciate it and will sit down and study it one night this week when im not working. Please keep your experiences and info coming, that paragliding looks incredible!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Sp3no

It is incredible, your up in the air for 30-40 mins depending on weather conditions, think it was only Ł50, the scariest bit is the drive up the mountain in the jeeps!! AS said previously the boat trips are incredible. I have never experienced the "hassle" that others have had. The only reason i went all inclusive is for the drink, and it was only a small amount more over standard. Its just nice to get a free lunch around the pool and drink all day then eat out at night. There is a deserted village near by and you can get a bus there and go exploring, the only down side is it seems to be getting more and more expensive, in fact its was quite expensive for drinks last time i went. Think i have said enough about Turkey now lol. Have fun.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Guile1
Part of the Furniture

nice country - the people
Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

i'd never go turkey again can't stand the people and the hassle, i don't pick and pay to go somewhere and spend the hole time being annoyed by locals, and this is from most the places mentioned above, i went to mallia last year it may not be your kind of place but whilst looking around the island a little bit it's so much nicer cleaner and just all round pleasant place, maybe choose a different country is my opinion
Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
my step daughter has just come back from kos and she went on a boat trip to turkey for a day.
from the second she stepped off the boat she was hassled to death from men which made her quite uncomfortable especially as she is only 18 and was away for the first time with her boyfriend who is 8 stone wet through and felt very overpowered by them.
im sure there are some really nice places over there but i just couldnt be arsed with all the mithering from them!

My missus many years ago went with her best pal to turkey (dunno where) , they were hassled all the time especially because they are blonde, she was grabbed on the street and was attempted to be dragged up an alleyway from the smelly greasy pervy bastards

She will never go back whatsoever lol
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Guile1
Part of the Furniture

Csm said it all! stay away
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
c.fogarty

Just back from Chalis (close to Olu Deniz & Fethiye) & have been there for the last 3 years.

First went out with a stereo-typical view of Turks based on those I knew in London. But couldn't be more wrong.... very friendly people and have had nothing but good experiences every visit, with great weather & still reasonably good value.