General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ebay Shill Bidder gets done!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ebay Shill Bidder gets done!

Yes, thats right, Ebay have finally managed to successfully bring charges against someone using a second account to bid against his own items.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...gainst_Himself

Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

idiot - should have got his mates to bid instead
Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 AM
saph_Al
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know the taxes are being put to good use
Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
D.K.
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by R4N S S
idiot - should have got his mates to bid instead
exactly
Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive been to loads of car auctions where they bounce bids off the wall (have even seen the wall win a couple of times and the car have to come back trhough ), I really cant see the harm in it, no one is being forced to pay more than they want to for anything.

Ebay only care cause they are losing reserve fee charges.

Its ebay themselves that make ebay auctions less good value, with all the excessive fees, not shill bidders

Last edited by Chip; 06-07-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

How can you "force" someone to pay more than they want? Isn't it common sense to say enoughs enough or is that too simplistic?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Originally Posted by Chip
Ive been to loads of car auctions where they bounce bids off the wall (have even seen the wall win a couple of times and the car have to come back trhough ),
My last employer had an Auction hall on site to dispose of MB finance cars and the number of times ive sat there and thought "that cars doing well" and there hasnt been a single genuine bid. They were all off the wall!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:08 PM
gouch1
Advanced PassionFord User

Ive been to loads of car auctions where they bounce bids off the wall (have even seen the wall win a couple of times and the car have to come back trhough ), I really cant see the harm in it, no one is being forced to pay more than they want to for anything.

Its ebay themselves that make ebay auctions less good value, with all the excessive fees, not shill bidders
so true
Old 06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
problematic
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Paul Barrett would leave himself positive feedback if he won his own items
he will need leave himself a negative feedback this time, for getting caught

doubt this will stop any shill bidders.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:58 PM
problematic
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

By using this process he managed to sell two Mercedes vehicles, a pie and pasty warmer, a cash register, a refrigerated display counter, three mobile phones, a Land Rover and a digital camera.
was he selling the pie and pasty warmer in aid of something bigger/better? or is he just cutting down on junk foods?

Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

No fucking way is he 39 either,
Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
MarkyMark

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...edbackAsSeller

his ebay account

what law has he acutally broke then?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:45 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by problematic
was he selling the pie and pasty warmer in aid of something bigger/better? or is he just cutting down on junk foods?

Looks like he has been doing well from it as he's a big fat fucker

Luciano
Old 06-07-2010, 04:47 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...edbackAsSeller

his ebay account

what law has he acutally broke then?
beacuse fatbusman was his other ebay id, and he's bought a range rover from himself
Old 06-07-2010, 10:26 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What a pile of shite,like said above,who's it harming?everyone I know does it !!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:53 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

yes but he has not actually broken any laws - only ebay rules
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by R4N S S
yes but he has not actually broken any laws - only ebay rules
Its classed as fraud mate!

The Fraud Act 2006 came into force 15 January 2007. It has radically changed the law of criminal fraud.

The old law

Before the Fraud Act came into force, the statutory fraud offences were based on deception. They included:

* Obtaining property by deception.

* Obtaining a money transfer by deception.

* Obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception.

* Obtaining services by deception.

Each offence would only apply in specific circumstances.

In addition there was (and remains) a non statutory offence of conspiracy to defraud which is defined very widely. There is no need to intend deception or financial loss but there must be more than one participant in the fraud.

Defects in the old law

The deception offences had become a bit of a mess. It was often confusing to work out which offence applied, and they frequently overlapped.

The excessive intricacy of the deception offences contributed to the length and complexity of trials. Moreover, the whole area was riddled with technical loopholes. For example, the court held that a machine (for example a cashpoint) cannot be “deceived” because it does not think.

The new law

The Fraud Act swept all of the old statutory deception offences away. Instead a new offence of fraud has been defined as follows:

* The defendant must have been dishonest, and have intended to make a gain or to cause a loss to another.

* In addition, the defendant must carry out one of these acts:

Making a false or misleading representation.

Failing to disclose to another person information which he is under a legal duty to disclose.

Abusing a position of trust.

The new offence of fraud is intended to be wide and also flexible, particularly as technology changes.

There is no reliance on the concept of "deception". It does not matter whether the false information actually deceives anyone, it is the misleading intention which counts.

The offence of conspiracy to defraud has not been abolished, but the government's objective is that reliance on it by prosecutors should be very much less.

The impact of the change

What will the impact on business of the new act? This will probably not be very profound outside the criminal law enforcement field, but several areas should be highlighted:

* The Fraud Act could be used to criminalise conduct which may previously only have amounted to a breach of contract or other civil law or moral obligation. Examples may include:

Breach of banking covenants. Where a loan contract contains an obligation by the borrower to draw an event of termination to the attention of the bank, then a failure to do so may now be a fraud.

"Shill bidding" on online auction sites. This is where sellers bid up the price of their own items using a second identity.

Certain advertising practices previously seen as sharp, but not illegal, for example paying for a favourable restaurant or hotel review in a publication which appears at first glance to be independent.

Breach of fiduciary duty by directors; and preferences and transactions at undervalue in insolvency situations.

* The Fraud Act significantly limits the right of a defendant to claim privilege against self-incrimination (the right to refuse to disclose documents or give evidence if doing so would expose him to the risk of a criminal prosecution) where he is being charged with a fraud offence.

* Finally, there is the money laundering legislation. As a result of the wider offence, the situations where parties may be obliged by the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 to report suspicious transactions to the authorities have been increased.
As far as im aware, getting your mates to bid something up would still be classed as fraud if it could be proved that they had no intention to buy, difficult to prove as it might be the case that your mate happens to want to buy something you are selling on there of course, but if you kept cancelling their bid on multiple auctions (which ebay have a record of) then I believe a prosecution for that would be possible too.

I feel sorry for the guy as he has blatantly been punished WAY over the top for what he did, just to make sure this ends up in the media and talked about on forums etc, as a way of publicising the fact it wont be tolerated, ie he has been made an example of.
Bet he never dreamt (like most people dont!) that he risked legal proceedings to this extent!

People now know though of course, so mission accomplished.

Last edited by Chip; 07-07-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 AM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if he's not actually broken any law, how/why has been fined? The way ebay/paypal fleece their customers, its no wonder they get fleeced themselves, cant see anything wrong with shill bidding myself, doesn't really hurt anyone, its a shame ebay dont concentrate their efforts on the more serious stuff, nigerians etc...
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by KregRS
So if he's not actually broken any law
He has broken the law.

how/why has been fined?
Because he has broken the law and been caught, the 2006 fraud act to be precise.

The way ebay/paypal fleece their customers, its no wonder they get fleeced themselves
Ebay nearly always come out on top in the long run, they are too rich and too clever to lose.

cant see anything wrong with shill bidding myself
Some people say the same about speeding (us lot) or rape within marriage (catholic church) or honour killings (many religiions), but that doesnt change the fact that they are against the law.

doesn't really hurt anyone
Thats said about lots of other crimes too, and still isnt a defence, software piracy for one as a common example.

its a shame ebay dont concentrate their efforts on the more serious stuff, nigerians etc...
As far as im aware, they do concentrate a lot of effort on such things, its just not as news worthy.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM
LUCKO
Regular Contributor

Location: On The Eighth Day God Created Wolverhampton Wanderers

£5k fine ffs thats harsh but only implemented because they knew he had it to pay?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by LUCKO
£5k fine ffs thats harsh but only implemented because they knew he had it to pay?
They gave him the biggest fine they possibly could in order to have maximum media attention, it was a political decision as much as a legal one IMHO

He'll probably appeal and get it reduced a bit, it will still be harsh though even if they do drop it a bit.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Isaac.Hunt

They gave him the biggest fine they possibly could in order to have maximum media attention, it was a political decision as much as a legal one IMHO

He'll probably appeal and get it reduced a bit, it will still be harsh though even if they do drop it a bit.

No they didn't. He could have been given 5k fine per offence - he was charged with ten offences so the maximum fine could have been 50k.

Either way, the Fraud Act 2006 is way over the top and way too expansive. It gives scope for more or less anything that is "dishonest" or incorrect to be pursued as a criminal charge for fraud.

Absolutely ridiculous that criminal charges that severe would be brought against someone, at the very worse that's an offence more suited to a caution. Having said that that, it is not the first case I am aware of that is directly related to eBay where someone has been given a punishment over the top in an attempt to set an example.

Quite annoying when there are hundreds of cases of people committing more deliberate and harmful fraud such as benefit fraud where a caution is the only punishment applied.

Typically wonderful UK "justice" system. Disgusting.

Last edited by Isaac.Hunt; 07-07-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Chip

Thats interesting that each one could have had the max 5K fine, I assumed they had treated it as one offence.

I totally agree though its massively unfair on him that he's feeling the full brunt of a way over the top law when what he did was such a minor thing.

Its never fair when you set an example by going over the top on one individual, but its the cheapest way to advertise the fact that you are going to start chasing up a particular thing.

The moral of the story of course, is dont fuck with eBay cause they wont be playing fair, lol

Last edited by Chip; 07-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I really can't see it making much difference to be honest. People will still get their mates to bid on items. Not easy to prove if their careful about it
Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by xr_craig
I really can't see it making much difference to be honest. People will still get their mates to bid on items. Not easy to prove if their careful about it
Just bear in mind how long the data will go back, if you just bid on something for your mate once every 6 months, then thats 10 items during the last 5 years, and if all have ended in cancelled bids or relists, thats a pretty damning amount of circumstantial evidence at least, potentially enough to get you a knock on the door, but if you both held your cool and claimed co-incidence they would probably find it hard to proove.

eBay appear to be determined to try and make it so that people decide its not worth the risk, and the next logical step for an example after making an example of an individual is to drag up someone and their mate next I should think!

I dont doubt for an instant they have some very good examples on file!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Interesting comments Chip.

I do think although its wrong, it shouldnt be classed as fraud.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Stu.H
Interesting comments Chip.

I do think although its wrong, it shouldnt be classed as fraud.

Agreed, its a nonsense to class something so petty as if it was "proper" fraud

Its like classing doing 78mph up the motorway as "dangerous driving" rather than just a minor speeding offence.

They need a new offence for this IMHO
Old 08-07-2010, 09:01 AM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

shit i better stop doing it then.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:30 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I said the very same to ebay when I was there with the UK sales team in April. I said if I'm selling say a £300 bike for £100 but I want £150 and a mate puts a bid on for me for £150, but then someone else is willing to pay £160 and bid on it and wins, everyones happy. I've got what I wanted for it and the chap who has bought a £300 bike for £160 think's he's got a bargin. He argued that if my mate hadn't have bid on it then the buyer might have been able to buy it for £110 and got more of a bargin which is what eBay is all about, the customer would be more happy. I argued that they would make more commission from the £160 value though Final listing fees and Paypal fees, but he said it's not in the spirit of eBay as it's cheating the buyer?
I then brought up the fact that eBay is full of fake, stolen, grey import designer clothing which cheats 1,000's of customers daily which made him very uncomfortable and just said, it was in their continued effort to pursue blah blah blah, we aren't aware of the problem, it's up to eBayers, such as yourself to report these auctions to them as it's impossible to monitor etc, Which I said, sorry its NOT my job to sit there and do your job for you, its a massive problem YOU need to sort out, which i then picked holes in they're Paypal buyer protection program, their Top Rated Seller Structure etc then he directed a question at someone else and ignored me the rest of the meeting a very nice sidestep away from some very real issues with eBay.

eBay just want it all their own way I'm afraid. They also haven't ruled out that they will turn into a direct retailer, the same as Amazon in the very near future.

Last edited by muz; 08-07-2010 at 10:33 AM.