General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PCSO - Toy cop, or good way in?

Search this Thread

Old 21-06-2010, 03:11 PM
PhilCook
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCSO - Toy cop, or good way in?

OK, so I have thought about this for a few years now. Would love to joint the police force, and head for traffic/dog handling.

GMP hardly ever do recruitment drives and, last time they did, I was waiting for my recruitment package in the post when I smashed my ankle to bits, rendering me useless for 6 months, so just forgot about it.

However, I am wondering if starting as a PCSO is a better way into the force?

Granted, you dont have all the police powers, but I guess its a step into that kind of environment, and may hold more water when applying for the actual force?

Any PCSO/Actual officers on here that can offer advice?
Old 21-06-2010, 03:14 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

A couple of bobbies I know, absolutely despise the PSCOs, they think they're an embarrassment, and are generally bad for the force.

I'd go in the front door, rather than try and crawl in through the cellar!
Old 21-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
A couple of bobbies I know, absolutely despise the PSCOs, they think they're an embarrassment, and are generally bad for the force.

I'd go in the front door, rather than try and crawl in through the cellar!
yup round here there useless and actually make the kids worse imo..
Old 21-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Big-Dan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilCook
OK, so I have thought about this for a few years now. Would love to joint the police force, and head for traffic/dog handling.

GMP hardly ever do recruitment drives and, last time they did, I was waiting for my recruitment package in the post when I smashed my ankle to bits, rendering me useless for 6 months, so just forgot about it.

However, I am wondering if starting as a PCSO is a better way into the force?

Granted, you dont have all the police powers, but I guess its a step into that kind of environment, and may hold more water when applying for the actual force?

Any PCSO/Actual officers on here that can offer advice?
I know 3 people who have gotten into the Police via the PCSO route.

I'm under the impression the it will definitely increase your chances of getting into the Police force providing you can meet all the other requirements.

Big-Dan.
Old 21-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

over here they're a joke, try to act powerful by telling off younger people for little things, but he shat himself when me and my mate answered back

just pretend policemen, as said just apply to go straight in
Old 21-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

what about specials?
Old 21-06-2010, 04:11 PM
cossie71

P C S O what a joke!!! plastic coppers
Old 21-06-2010, 04:25 PM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

I dont know about GMP but I know the Met have stopped the PCSO to PC process due to financial pressure. They have also stopped PC applications for a minimum of 2 years.

it will be interesting to see if any force recruits any further PCSO's as this year is the first year that each force have to pay for their PCSO's.

If your in the position where you can offer your time on a voluntary basis then I would say that being a special would be the better option. You will receive all the powers that a regular Police officer has, and will be under the instruction of regular Police officers. If / When the force start recruiting again you can say that you have dealt with confrontational situations, arrest proceedures, diversity issues etc etc etc.

I do not believe that PCSO's reduce the work load on Police officers, infact I believe that they increase Police work load. Where a Police officer can deal with what they come accross, they now have to deal with what PCSO's come across..Unfortunately there isnt a good rapore between PCSO's and the public because as stated above they are seen as plastic coppers without any real powers, and this causes problems in which more officers have to sort out.
Old 21-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

you could try to be a pcso for a bit to see if you like the job then you could try and go for a proper pc. I have applyed twice now for the police. The application forms were a night mare. I wont be trying again for the police. Im happy in my job i have now.
Old 21-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
what about specials?
Thats a good idea the specials have the same authorisation as normal police where pcso's cant really do much.
Old 21-06-2010, 06:56 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PCSO = Plastic Cop Specially Ordered.
I give them as much respect as any regular plod, I don't care what they are would just like to see more, might sort out the mindless crap that goes on in every high street at nightime.
I would have liked to join the regular plod, but having a firearms offence at age 18/19 might stop me, don't know if I could be that discriminating though.
tabetha
Old 21-06-2010, 07:19 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes,one job I'll never be able to apply for as well!!know a few coppers and they really are total wankers,school bullies usually make good coppers,thick as fuck but handy with the truncheon!!!Still to answer your question being a special does not help you get into the force particularly,better to go in the front door as said on here,keep asking,keep knocking doors,make contacts,being a mason is handy too!!!!But seriously go into the copshop in the worst part of town is my advice as they'll probably be more short staffed than elsewhere meaning they probably will show you a bit more respect that you don't mind working in the shittier parts and not just after a cushty career working somewhere like where I live where the closest you get to crime is someone leaving their car window open!!!
Old 21-06-2010, 07:32 PM
cossie71

Just get a proper job!
Old 21-06-2010, 08:43 PM
teamfatboy
Frog Tosser

[quote=DarylC;4963373]over here they're a joke, try to act powerful by telling off younger people for little things, but he shat himself when me and my mate answered back

just pretend policemen, as said just apply to go straight in[/quote

Stop being a cunt then and they won't bother you
Old 21-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

If your white male you will struggle to get in any police force at the moment
Old 21-06-2010, 09:03 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

@ warren!!!!
Old 21-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

its true though positive discrimination does go on be it directly or indirectly.

I think its wrong. The police should be asking why ethnic minorities dont want to join up rather than just trying to blindly fill qoutas.

I think if your white male you need to pretend to be gay to boost your chances of getting in then get "turned" later to explain why you got a missus
Old 21-06-2010, 10:04 PM
imnoteasy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

snap warren
Old 21-06-2010, 10:04 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree 1000% mate,just shows how awful it's all become.here's a guy who wants to join but if he was a " minority" he'd probably waltz in!!!!
Old 21-06-2010, 10:46 PM
melinamotor
Farpylee

Originally Posted by vaughant
I agree 1000% mate,just shows how awful it's all become.here's a guy who wants to join but if he was a " minority" he'd probably waltz in!!!!
I served with Surrey plod back in the 90's, entry criteria was different then, even the training appears to have been fast tracked now. I was only 21 when I joined and lasted six years before becoming dissillusioned with the job and the direction it was heading.
We suffered major financial cutbacks and lost a shed load of benefits hand in hand with longer shifts.
I have mixed feelings about PCSO's, strategic policing means its harder to interact with communities on a local level. This is where the plastic police support staff come in to thier own and are doing a good job.
In reality the service under labour has suffered at the hands of the target/performance mentality and only now are things changing.
Go straight in and dont dally with the specials or PCSO's, good luck.

I have quoted the other poster because I attempted to rejoin two years ago with Thames Valley, my ethnicity IC1 was not in my favour!
Old 21-06-2010, 11:42 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

it took a mate of mine nearly 4 years to get into the force, he worked as a civil servant while he was waiting for his application.
Old 22-06-2010, 12:06 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by fish99
I dont know about GMP but I know the Met have stopped the PCSO to PC process due to financial pressure. They have also stopped PC applications for a minimum of 2 years.

it will be interesting to see if any force recruits any further PCSO's as this year is the first year that each force have to pay for their PCSO's.
Pretty much sums up exactly what a friend of mine who is a PCSO in Surrey said last week. He has been doing it for a year and was hoping to become a fully fledged police officer this year, but now his hopes have been dashed and he is thinking of quitting.
Old 22-06-2010, 12:09 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by melinamotor
In reality the service under labour has suffered at the hands of the target/performance mentality and only now are things changing.
That is what happens when you get a government in who wants to spend more time using BS figures to back up their spending and go to Jo public but look we did so and hiring managers to keep track of it all and tieing up people to filling out reports rather than doing their jobs.

Now with the cuts, no justification to be spending billions on doing it.
Old 22-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by melinamotor
I have quoted the other poster because I attempted to rejoin two years ago with Thames Valley, my ethnicity IC1 was not in my favour!
appalling isnt it that state sponsored racism is ok as long as the discriminated group is white!!

youve already got significant police experience and I bet some minority got chosen over you.