General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Logbook loans,hpi check issue WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't need to be a bailiff to repo cars mate, you only have to have done the training in house with the company you work for, and be registered and have the asset recovery agent I.D. once you have the relevant repo order from the finance company you are away, so there again you don't know what your on about. and besides if I where a court bailiff do you think I would give my name and certificate out on a internet forum? (repo order meaning details of the account and debtor with payments missed and instruction to repossess).
Old 12-06-2010, 10:09 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
so if there are lots of companies offering "log book loans" do you have to ring every single one of them

all sounds like pish to me; i would have thought you have to register with HPI if you are claiming an interest in the car
I agree with you, its not right that someone that has bought a car legally and have done the proper checks should lose it.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Matt my comments arent a personal dig at you. You interpret the law based on what you are taught and because you have to do your job. Its the morons above your paygrade who mess it up.

if a BOS is correctly done then repoing is not wrong or illegal, its just the written stuff on breaking in. As i read it, many of the LBL companies have written that into their BOS to secure the car, yet it contradicts trading standards own limited policys on the matter hence they have intervened.

Plus a lot of companies are trying to use the BOS but not following the procedure and protocols correctly thus making it void.

just two different perspectives. trading standards want the consumer to be protected, your employer wants the loan company to be protected!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 PM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me get this straight. You repossess cars from people, but you're not a baliff? As for posting your details if you were, I cant see the problem, if everything above board and in order, baliff's are checkable with the Ministry of Justice. If you had something to hide though, I could understand your reluctance. Who mentioned court baliff's?
Next you'll be telling us you can repo cars where the debtor has paid more than a third of the agreement, without a court order...
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

KregRS, matt is right. you dont need to be a baliff to repo a car. You do need to follow the law that applies in the specific circumstance, be it CCA, BOS, etc.

Remember its a secured loan in most cases with cars and the ownership lies with the lender, hence its merely retaking possession of an asset, hence the different rules compared to a unsecured debt.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh dear,I only started this thread to help people but it seems to have caused all sorts of arguments,sorry about that but believe me it's NOT pish at all,there are loopholes in all sorts of automotive laws and I could sell you a particular vehicle today that I KNOW is cat c yet I have a v5 which is totally clear and I've had my mate hpi check it yesterday and it's come back totally clear yet I know for a fact it's cat c,I've dealt with this vehicle from recovering it from the crash scene to driving it everyday,I've taxed it from the v5 and still haven't been asked to vic it!!! It was only a warning guys so could everyone take it as such,it's not bullshit as a few of us agree on here and i know the other trader wouldn't say it if it wasn't true,really wouldn't. Sorry for causing arguments between others but this is a serious topic.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:25 PM
MarkyMark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

hpi isnt full proof, ive had two in the past few months one was a car i'd sold to a mate ages ago, think it was as cat c he knew that, he was selling the car again and the person buying it did a hpi and it came back as a cat B, i was 100% sure it wasnt a cat b when i purchased it as i would have broke it at the time, called up hpi and they looked into it admitted it was a mistake and had it taken off and reinstated as a cat c,

and again a car i bought a few weeks ago as a cat d (new shape fiesta light frontal and no bads had gone) dvla wouldnt issue a log book as it was a cat c, called up the company i bought it from insurance co had fecked up within a few days it was a cat d again.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Heard that a few times,I suppose nothing foolproof?
Old 13-06-2010, 12:10 AM
MarkyMark

nope, there is still a human factor in it (person inputting the data), iirc the car that came back as a cat b had the information entered against the VIN number not the reg as well, if you are entering x amount of numbers into a computer mistakes can happen
Old 13-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

a motor trader is liable for the outstanding finance the general public are not
Old 13-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mannock
a motor trader is liable for the outstanding finance the general public are not
True but not quite that easy.
Old 13-06-2010, 09:33 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by KregRS
Let me get this straight. You repossess cars from people, but you're not a baliff? As for posting your details if you were, I cant see the problem, if everything above board and in order, baliff's are checkable with the Ministry of Justice. If you had something to hide though, I could understand your reluctance. Who mentioned court baliff's?
Next you'll be telling us you can repo cars where the debtor has paid more than a third of the agreement, without a court order...
you can if it is unregulated, if regulated then they need to voluntary surrender the vehicle, or a court order is needed. an buy the way, i'm not trying to dig at you personally either mate.
Old 13-06-2010, 09:37 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by KregRS
and you mentioned bailiffs, asking for my court registration.
Old 13-06-2010, 10:00 AM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

Ultimately, it doesn't particularly matter what logbookloans or anyone else say - if you checked using an authoritative source then you have acquired 'good title' to the car. If anybody comes after you saying money is owed, you need to state that to them and send their letters back 'No Contract - Refused For Cause'. If they want to pursue it, they can take it to court and try to prove title there.
Old 13-06-2010, 08:16 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by vaughant
Oh dear,I only started this thread to help people but it seems to have caused all sorts of arguments,sorry about that but believe me it's NOT pish at all,there are loopholes in all sorts of automotive laws and I could sell you a particular vehicle today that I KNOW is cat c yet I have a v5 which is totally clear and I've had my mate hpi check it yesterday and it's come back totally clear yet I know for a fact it's cat c,I've dealt with this vehicle from recovering it from the crash scene to driving it everyday,I've taxed it from the v5 and still haven't been asked to vic it!!! It was only a warning guys so could everyone take it as such,it's not bullshit as a few of us agree on here and i know the other trader wouldn't say it if it wasn't true,really wouldn't. Sorry for causing arguments between others but this is a serious topic.
But it still makes no sense. I know for a fact that Logbook Loans register cars with HPI. I bought a car with a outstanding loan a while ago, and had to wait for it to be taken off the list when the loan was paid off by the seller. I also recently bought a car they had reposessed, from a company that deals with them, and this car was HPI clear.

If its a case of several companies and some do and some don't register HPI then who is your mate calling to confirm this? Several different companies? Sorry i am sticking with my orginal view, its nonsense.
Old 13-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
True but not quite that easy.
I know but I thought I'd condense the 8,364,715 word laws regarding this
Old 13-06-2010, 08:51 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right,I'm only passing on information as stated in the original title, but as usual it's turned into full blown arguments from people.quite possible the company "logbookloans" do register with hpi however a mate in the trade,been in the trade 40 years told me this on Friday and I as member of passionford have decided to pass this info on to you.It's not nonsense as somebody stated above and while there maybe no legal argument if your a member of the public you still don't really want to go thru the worry/stress etc. Of having this for the sake of a phonecall.with respect there's a lot of unscrupulous people out there who want to simply rip you off,mistakes happen granted but if you plan this out too defraud someone it's not really that difficult to do it,duplicate logbook beforehand etc are not hard to obtain so just some advice to please be careful.
Old 13-06-2010, 10:24 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes, but who is the phonecall to? This is my point? If there are multiple companies, who do you call to find out if the car has a loan against it? The fact is, there is noone you can call as we are talking about multiple companies. The company actually called "logbook loans" do register with HPI, and clearly won't have information relating to the other companies, so there is no point calling them!

So please tell me, who do you call to get this infomation? If there is some central source, other than HPI that holds information on every company that gives loans against cars i would love to find out who they are, what their number is and how come the companies are registering with them rather than HPI. I would also like to know how they make their money?

This is why I say its nonsense, and the reason I am not letting it rest is because its not helping anyone and is just speading false information.
Old 14-06-2010, 08:29 AM
JayKay

Just a query though...

As I understand it, Log Book Loans, secured against a vehicle mean surrendering the log book & valid MoT certificate don't they? (Or they did at the time I was involved in Recovery of repo'd cars...)

So how are cars getting sold without the relevant documentation, or has this all been changed now?

John
Old 14-06-2010, 07:17 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by JayKay
Just a query though...

As I understand it, Log Book Loans, secured against a vehicle mean surrendering the log book & valid MoT certificate don't they? (Or they did at the time I was involved in Recovery of repo'd cars...)

So how are cars getting sold without the relevant documentation, or has this all been changed now?

John
they still get sold without the relevant paperwork.
Old 14-06-2010, 08:13 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

just looked at the site check this whopping amount !!!!!11

Loan Amount Weekly Repayment Loan Term APR Total Repayable
£1,500 £53.60 78 weeks 437.4% £4,180.80
Old 14-06-2010, 08:55 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JayKay

John
Duplicate log book and MOT before you take the loan out.
Old 14-06-2010, 09:04 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Nomaderst
Yes, but who is the phonecall to? This is my point? If there are multiple companies, who do you call to find out if the car has a loan against it? The fact is, there is noone you can call as we are talking about multiple companies. The company actually called "logbook loans" do register with HPI, and clearly won't have information relating to the other companies, so there is no point calling them!

So please tell me, who do you call to get this infomation? If there is some central source, other than HPI that holds information on every company that gives loans against cars i would love to find out who they are, what their number is and how come the companies are registering with them rather than HPI. I would also like to know how they make their money?

This is why I say its nonsense, and the reason I am not letting it rest is because its not helping anyone and is just speading false information.

What the fuck are you on about? Are you logbook loans P.A or something?" I'm not letting this go",look,it's not nonsense and I'll be seeing the bloke in the next few days as I'm currently painting a car from him and I will ask him exactly who he phones and who the company were who took the other trader to court when he lost the car.my trader was only giving me advice regarding what had happenned to his mate,it may have been a while ago but once bitten twice shy hence why I originally posted.I don't know you so please don't insult me by saying I'm talking shit and the post is false or misleading,as stated for what seems now the millionth time ,I'm passing on information given to me via a genuine source who's had his fingers burned ,not for one minute have I claimed that I was the person who lost out but I'd hate to see anyone get caught out by these companies. This subjects been discussed at length on here and there have been some real horror stories that have come out about these type of companies and the way they operate,24vcossiemat and I have pm'd this subject and what he's told me backs up what I've also been told.we work in the trade, and so we see these things everyday.hopefully by now all these companies are using hpi though I doubt it so yeah,it is a concern.put it this way,if were still checking,you should too.
Old 14-06-2010, 09:13 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
What the fuck are you on about? Are you logbook loans P.A or something?" I'm not letting this go",look,it's not nonsense and I'll be seeing the bloke in the next few days as I'm currently painting a car from him and I will ask him exactly who he phones and who the company were who took the other trader to court when he lost the car.my trader was only giving me advice regarding what had happenned to his mate,it may have been a while ago but once bitten twice shy hence why I originally posted.I don't know you so please don't insult me by saying I'm talking shit and the post is false or misleading,as stated for what seems now the millionth time ,I'm passing on information given to me via a genuine source who's had his fingers burned ,not for one minute have I claimed that I was the person who lost out but I'd hate to see anyone get caught out by these companies. This subjects been discussed at length on here and there have been some real horror stories that have come out about these type of companies and the way they operate,24vcossiemat and I have pm'd this subject and what he's told me backs up what I've also been told.we work in the trade, and so we see these things everyday.hopefully by now all these companies are using hpi though I doubt it so yeah,it is a concern.put it this way,if were still checking,you should too.
dont lose you rag mate; i think what the fella is trying to ask is Who do you phone?

because surely you'd have to phone every single company you can find who offer this type of logbook loan, just to see if they've got a financial interest in it?

the question should be:

if it not registered with HPI then who do you phone?

Last edited by LHD220Turbo; 14-06-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 14-06-2010, 09:20 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I don't think he's trying to be nice about it really is he?not losing my rag but getting fed up of trying to help people be aware of this and not letting them lose their cars and getting slated by someone who's "not letting this go".I feel like tony Gordon when roy cropper kept pestering him about killing liam!!!I'll see the trader in the next few days and pass on any into I can fella.
Old 15-06-2010, 08:13 AM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol, I am not being nice or nasty about it, just trying to clear it up.

You say he is calling someone to check it, hpi are the only people I can think of to call for this type of information as far as I am aware.

There is no point starting a thread warning people about something and then not giving them any idea what can be done to prevent it. You first said you call Logbook Loans, but it has since been pointed out by several people, including a trader on here, that they do register with HPI.

So if its the other companies that are the issue, and are not registering with HPI, but somewhere else has the information, then I am sure everyone would like to know who they can check this with.

I am afraid i have no idea who Roy Cropper is, so i can't comment on that.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:11 AM
badnews
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

24vcossiemat you my friend are a dick, the repo man ahhahaah i feal for the people that you deal with. you will spout any old shite to get the car back. get a life pal and a better job
Old 16-06-2010, 12:23 AM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Originally Posted by badnews
24vcossiemat you my friend are a dick, the repo man ahhahaah i feal for the people that you deal with. you will spout any old shite to get the car back. get a life pal and a better job
your perfectly entitled to your opinion, I have a life thanks very much, and 2 very nice children, and I enjoy my job. So what a pointless message..
Mind you I am ever so slightly jealous that you live in oz.

Last edited by 24vcossiemat; 16-06-2010 at 12:33 AM.