General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

temp gauge problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 PM
dave_1975_pafc
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp gauge problem?

hi everyone.im quite new to this forum lark to be honest but i was hoping to find a couple of words of wisdom from you all,who may know. i have purchased a mk3 mondeo 2.0 duratec he on a 01 plate. i love it but i have come upon a snag with the temp gauge? i have read numerous threads regarding a so called age old problem of fluctuating temp needles, i,e-when idleing the temp gauge will not move at all,or it will move when heaters are switched on or off or engine is revved,etc etc. but however my problem appears to be unique as i cannot find any other posts that relate to my problem. ok, the engine is cold-start it up and start driving. within a minute i can literally see the needle moving right up to just under the halfway mark? and there it will stay. im happy that it sits right in the middle but im confused as to why it goes up that quick? the engine couldnt possibly reach that temp in 3 minutes could it? so i have let it run,the fan comes on and off as usuall, it hasnt lost any water/oil etc. although the bottom rad pipe is not as hot as the top one the header tank is v hot and when i hold my hand over the heater vents the heat is scolding.(only scolding when its been on a journey btw) a bit vague i know bujt any ideas would be most appreiciated, thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Yeah thats fine. They've got some electronic controlled 2 stage thermostat so they get warm very quickly. My old mk3 mondeo was the same, even in the winter it was nice and warm within a couple of miles!

Nothing at all wrong with it mate its perfectly normal
Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 PM
dave_1975_pafc
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich170
Yeah thats fine. They've got some electronic controlled 2 stage thermostat so they get warm very quickly. My old mk3 mondeo was the same, even in the winter it was nice and warm within a couple of miles!

Nothing at all wrong with it mate its perfectly normal
excellent. thanks very much rich, you`ve put me at ease.legend take care buddy.