General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

people shot dead in Cumbria

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Purple Jw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Would they take all that effort? Or would they have cooled down meanwhile? My point is: It's a lot easier to go on a killing spree with a gun ready at your hands. In all the shootings over here, the people who did it had easy legal access to guns and it happened "in the heat of the passion".

And also, I absolutely understand that shooting is a sport to quite a lot of people but why on earth do you need a 12 gauge shotgun for that? And even more, why do you need to keep that at home, not at the shooting range?
You make it sound harder than it is to get a gun though the blackmarket.

Also a 'legal' gun will be restricted to three shots, a semi auto shotgun for example will have the bottom tube filled with resin so only two shells can be loaded, two in the mag one in the breach, i know you could still kill people with these three, but the majority of intercity gun crimes are commited with small arms such as machine pistols or semi automatic pistols, these machine pistols most certainly are not obtained legaly and are not restricted on capicity.

Just take consideration for other peoples hobbies just because you don't agree with it, does that make it wrong, I know alot of people that shoot clays or animals, they use that as there hobbie as you use cars and whatnot.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:45 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by Purple Jw
Just take consideration for other peoples hobbies just because you don't agree with it, does that make it wrong, I know alot of people that shoot clays or animals, they use that as there hobbie as you use cars and whatnot.
Well, I do. I just don't understand why they need to keep guns at home. You don't fill your basement with water when you're an olympic swimmer, do you?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Purple Jw

Yeah, I suppose, but my friend who owns two shotguns, they are locked away in a 1/4inch steel cabinate in there atic, I don't see a problem with that.
But people shouldn't just have them lying around, or mounted on walls (as some people I know do... :/).
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 PM
squizxr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tis a shame at what happened, but why now do the Police have to investigate it?? I can understand if the killer was still out there, but his dead!! There are 100 detectives now working on the case, trying to find out why he done it!! That is goin to cost the taxpayer millions, for them to say he was mentally ill or whatever!!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dp1958
just normal people, that do normal activities,tell you what, go get your head looked....
Ahhh so "normal" people dont do shooting sports?? Does this make 99% of americans mentally ill because they own guns?? Dont be so fucking stupid!!!

Your doing just what the press will do. "demonise" the murderer. Make him out to be a nut case, evil monster or similar.

That way, ignorant poorly educated people can sleep safe at night knowing the guy was "not normal" and therefore they are safe because hes dead.

WRONG.

ALL of us have the capability to kill and you just dont know what could push people over the edge so they kill YOU in your sleep or for no reason.

But people like you dont like that concept and find it hard to accept so youd rather demonise them and "sweep it under the carpet" so you can "feel safe".

Just accept the reality of the world we live in.

Happens in soo many families where there is a serious nasty crime, be it murder, rape, sexual abuse etc etc, the family rejects the victim (or victims close relations) because its easier to write off them as "damaged" than to accept that seemingly normal people sometimes do really nasty things because they want to.

Would they take all that effort? Or would they have cooled down meanwhile? My point is: It's a lot easier to go on a killing spree with a gun ready at your hands.
why do you need to keep that at home, not at the shooting range?
Its just as easy to pick up a large kitchen knife and go on a stabbing spree or jump in car and run over a bus stop full of kids.

Many people who shoot, do so in the confines of their own land. (not everyone lives in citys!!). Plus many people shoot on other peoples land with permission. To make them keep guns at a club would not prevent any massacres as theyd just go to the club to sign out thier gun (they would have own keys remember) and go on killing spree then.

Removing guns from society really wouldnt stop that as its scarily easy to get guns on the black market.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver

ALL of us have the capability to kill and you just dont know what could push people over the edge so they kill YOU in your sleep or for no reason.

But people like you dont like that concept and find it hard to accept so youd rather demonise them and "sweep it under the carpet" so you can "feel safe".

Just accept the reality of the world we live in.
Really dont think I have it in me to do that to anyone,

R.I.P to all
Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

the point is T, you just dont know. Most people will never be pushed far enough to find out.

Im sure youd agree that if someone tried to kill your kid youd do everything and if necessary kill them to protect your kid. So even you are capable of killing. Its only a small mental difference between having a socially accepted "valid reason" to kill and not having one.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:57 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I do. I just don't understand why they need to keep guns at home. You don't fill your basement with water when you're an olympic swimmer, do you?
Because it'd be utterly rediculous! It'd also not prevent crimes, as modt gun crime is committed with illegal firearms.
Also, people don't just shoot at one place, my gun club is about 40 miles away, but the place I can use for clays, is 5 mins down the road so I'd have to travel all that way, to shoot at a place 5mins up the road... Also take into account the amount of guns. A gun club with say 4o members, 5-10 guns each, that's up to 400 guns to be stored. Just a stupud suggestion really.

As to the person that told me I need my head looking at, you're just one of the many ignorant arseholes that are going to moan about something as you are totally uneducated on the subject. As said, you're not educated enough to comment, so don't.

Last edited by zetec-Sam; 03-06-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Pete frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so so sad,now we know the full outcome although there are some very seriously injured still......

he held a license for 20 yrs,for shotgun and a .22 rifle,so i hear....
christ ive already lost all my handguns,looks like its gonna be followed by the rest...
but,that poor woman,delivering the catalog's,the guy trimming his hedge,the woman with the shopping,to name a few.....
how the fuck can you argue with that.........
Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A workmates wife worked for the solicitor in his office, bad news all round really as their's no closure for the victims families.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 PM
dp1958
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Pete frst
so so sad,now we know the full outcome although there are some very seriously injured still......

christ ive already lost all my handguns,looks like its gonna be followed by the rest...
but,that poor woman,delivering the catalog's,the guy trimming his hedge,the woman with the shopping,to name a few.....
how the fuck can you argue with that.........
i can understand how you feel pete, and just glad your not flying of the handle like some on this board, but now some more relavent info is coming to light supports my points about guns, just tragic
Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 PM
ronf42
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

r.i.p. to the victims

It is always the case that when a tragedy like this happens it is usually followed by a kneejerk reaction from the government.
After Hungerford, automatic weapons were banned, after Dunblane handguns were banned.
In these two cases, these measures were taken to make the country safer. My question is, why do we have more shootings with illeagaly held weapons than that of people who have held the guns with a licence. Something is amiss here.
After every shooting in London, Manchester etc, I never hear the government saying how they are going to combat and clamp down on the banned weapons being used in these crimes and how the criminals are getting hold of them.
It is too easy for them to take them away from law abiding shooters.

There have been more deaths on the roads involving vehicles this year than gun deaths, are people calling for them to be banned?

Remove one type of weapon used to kill people will only cause another weapon being used in crimes. where will it end??
As stated already, ANYTHING can be used as a weapon.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Pete frst
For once i agree with a politician, Cameron stated that they do not intend to do any knee-jerk gun law changes as you simply cannot legislate and outlaw someones head from cracking.

And as said, we already have one of the lowest legal gun ownerships in the world and the occurances of gun crime with legal weapons is VERY VERY RARE.

People need to put things into perspective!! for example 32 people die EVERYDAY from breast cancer in the UK alone.
i can understand how you feel pete, and just glad your not flying of the handle like some on this board, but now some more relavent info is coming to light supports my points about guns, just tragic
no it doesnt support your points. The only person who flew off the handle was you.
Originally Posted by ronf42
It is always the case that when a tragedy like this happens it is usually followed by a kneejerk reaction from the government.
After Hungerford, automatic weapons were banned, after Dunblane handguns were banned.
In these two cases, these measures were taken to make the country safer. My question is, why do we have more shootings with illeagaly held weapons than that of people who have held the guns with a licence. Something is amiss here.
After every shooting in London, Manchester etc, I never hear the government saying how they are going to combat and clamp down on the banned weapons being used in these crimes and how the criminals are getting hold of them.
It is too easy for them to take them away from law abiding shooters.

There have been more deaths on the roads involving vehicles this year than gun deaths, are people calling for them to be banned?

Remove one type of weapon used to kill people will only cause another weapon being used in crimes. where will it end??
As stated already, ANYTHING can be used as a weapon.
Exactly!!!

The politicians in most cases LOVE knee jerk reactions as the ban effects a small minority of the population and makes happy a large number of ignorant ill-informed members of the public.

Giving credit where credits due, cameron hasnt followed the typical pattern so far! Although i will wait a while to see if his promise comes true or he backs down due to the popularity contest the media panic will obviously cause.

People need to learn to accept that often they are ill-informed on such matters and hence its unwise for our leaders to pander to the ill-informed. Part of the flaw in our political system is the current generation of MP's who are more interested in a popularity contest than taking the hard and necessary decisions the average joe wont understand and may not like. But thats what our leaders are for.

Just think of the fuck up over nuclear power due to the millions of morons in this country panicking over something they know fuck all about and hence the weak, pathetic politicians refusing to make the decision to build new plants until they were forced by the prospect of blackouts and horrendously expensive electric as we more heavily depend on imported energy. Yeah well done people

Things are never as black and white as people like to think and people if they dont understand something should reserve their judgement until they have spent time to find out so they can make an INFORMED DECISION rather than basing thier decision on prejudice, emotion or unfounded bias.

But then we shouldnt be surprised with such a poorly educated population we have.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
dp1958

For once i agree with a politician, Cameron stated that they do not intend to do any knee-jerk gun law changes as you simply cannot legislate and outlaw someones head from cracking.

And as said, we already have one of the lowest legal gun ownerships in the world and the occurances of gun crime with legal weapons is VERY VERY RARE.

People need to put things into perspective!! for example 32 people die EVERYDAY from breast cancer in the UK alone.

no it doesnt support your points. The only person who flew off the handle was you.

Exactly!!!

The politicians in most cases LOVE knee jerk reactions as the ban effects a small minority of the population and makes happy a large number of ignorant ill-informed members of the public.

Giving credit where credits due, cameron hasnt followed the typical pattern so far! Although i will wait a while to see if his promise comes true or he backs down due to the popularity contest the media panic will obviously cause.

People need to learn to accept that often they are ill-informed on such matters and hence its unwise for our leaders to pander to the ill-informed. Part of the flaw in our political system is the current generation of MP's who are more interested in a popularity contest than taking the hard and necessary decisions the average joe wont understand and may not like. But thats what our leaders are for.

Just think of the fuck up over nuclear power due to the millions of morons in this country panicking over something they know fuck all about and hence the weak, pathetic politicians refusing to make the decision to build new plants until they were forced by the prospect of blackouts and horrendously expensive electric as we more heavily depend on imported energy. Yeah well done people

Things are never as black and white as people like to think and people if they dont understand something should reserve their judgement until they have spent time to find out so they can make an INFORMED DECISION rather than basing thier decision on prejudice, emotion or unfounded bias.

But then we shouldnt be surprised with such a poorly educated population we have.
you realy talk some pish
Old 03-06-2010, 11:07 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

you realy talk some pish
Old 03-06-2010, 11:19 PM
dp1958

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
scary stuff, a real wacko
Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 PM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

rip to the victims but tightining up gun laws aint the answer, maybe this country should look at how it fails on mental illness as obviously this guy was mentally ill and obviously wasnt picked up,
but even if it was the treatment and attitude to it in this country is totally shocking and yes i speak from experience,
its obvious the guy had issues which wasnt picked up and this is what happens im afraid, the guy cracked and wasnt thinking straight and no amount of laws can stop that, helping and picking up on mental issues will stop shit like this happening again.

Trouble is men in general wont go to the docs if they aint feeling right in the head due to the the stigma and the general male i can handle it type attitude and then it goes tits up
Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

you realy talk some pish
Oh really???

Im not surprised you couldnt come up with a well thought out, reasoned and logical response so just turned to attempting to slag me off
Old 03-06-2010, 11:49 PM
dp1958

Oh really???

Im not surprised you couldnt come up with a well thought out, reasoned and logical response so just turned to attempting to slag me off
one reasureing thing,for the amount of people that have looked/comented on this thread theres realy only a couple of looneys on here...
Old 03-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by gaz s1
but even if it was the treatment and attitude to it in this country is totally shocking and yes i speak from experience,
its obvious the guy had issues which wasnt picked up and this is what happens im afraid, the guy cracked and wasnt thinking straight and no amount of laws can stop that, helping and picking up on mental issues will stop shit like this happening again.

Trouble is men in general wont go to the docs if they aint feeling right in the head due to the the stigma and the general male i can handle it type attitude and then it goes tits up
Its not just men, woman as well, although with woman being generally more in touch with emotions (hormones and cultural expectations) means someone is more likely to notice if they dont try and get help when compared to many men. Not saying men dont have emotions, just its still a widely held traditional belief that men dont cry and are meant to be "hard" and look after others. As said in predator " i dont have time to bleed" sums up most mens approaches to looking after thier physical and mental health

despite all the so called equality laws and disability discrimination laws and the attempts at reducing the stigma, the stigma surrounding mental health is still as strong as ever!!

The press make it much worse and arent helping.

Whenever theres a serial killing or mass killing they always try and use mental health as an excuse. If you look at the statistics, people suffering from mental health conditions are far more likely to hurt themselves than others. The rate of murder by mental health patients is pretty similar to the rate of murder by the general population.

The reason the press sensationalise such cases is a) it sells papers by causeing fear and b) such an attitude makes a lot of weak people feel safer because they can demonise the bad people as "nuts" or "schizo" or "monster" ie make them out to be different from you and I. That way people dont have to consider that thier own friends and family could go the same way in the wrong circumstances.

The taxi guy was just a normal guy like you and I and something made his mind crack.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

one reasureing thing,for the amount of people that have looked/comented on this thread theres realy only a couple of looneys on here...
So what if im mentally ill. doesnt mean im going to go get a gun and shoot loads of people just because I suffer from an illness.

Youve just shown you are yet another of the bigoted morons furthering the stigma surrounding mental health.

1 in 4 people are effected by mental distress in thier lifetime. Chances are some of your friends are nutcases too
Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 AM
dp1958

So what if im mentally ill. doesnt mean im going to go get a gun and shoot loads of people just because I suffer from an illness.

Youve just shown you are yet another of the bigoted morons furthering the stigma surrounding mental health.

1 in 4 people are effected by mental distress in thier lifetime. Chances are some of your friends are nutcases too
true lots suffer health problems,but for the last time.THEY DONT ALL HAVE GUNS...
Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

You still dont get it do you??

short
two
as
planks
thick

Rearrange those words.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Northants Ford Fan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R.I.P for those who have died
If someone else had a gun when this guy snapped they could of stopped him from killing more innocent people by shooting him, not necessarily killing him. (wait for the slagging off)
as said before banning guns wont stop gun crime as since when do criminals obey the law ? as by the nature they break the law dont they.
But unfortunaly people cant do anything other than dive for cover when someone fires a gun unlike someone with a knife where someone will give it ago while thinking about others before themselves.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

Old 04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
dp1958

You still dont get it do you??

short
two
as
planks
thick

Rearrange those words.
you need help, a total nut job....
Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

I have help thanks!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by Northants Ford Fan
R.I.P for those who have died
If someone else had a gun when this guy snapped they could of stopped him from killing more innocent people by shooting him, not necessarily killing him. (wait for the slagging off)
as said before banning guns wont stop gun crime as since when do criminals obey the law ? as by the nature they break the law dont they.
But unfortunaly people cant do anything other than dive for cover when someone fires a gun unlike someone with a knife where someone will give it ago while thinking about others before themselves.
The film "Hot Fuzz" comes to my mind...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 PM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

warren has his opinions, 99% of the time you have to agree with him because he makes a valid point
but im waffling, with 79 posts in nearly two years i dont think you have the boots to come on here and talk shit
Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by NoRubNoDub
warren has his opinions, 99% of the time you have to agree with him because he makes a valid point
That's the worrying thing. Warren's views on things are normally spot-on and very sensible... He's my moral guidance, a bit like what the Pope is for the catholics...

It's so bad, I actually questioned myself for not agreeing with him...

Well I'm totally with him about the knee-jerk reactions thing at least...
Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

wow i didnt know i influenced people that much Peter!!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:30 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

For a mental bloke, you speak some sence
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

I think it's the gun in your sig...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 PM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

I think it's the gun in your sig...
lol it only airsoft
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by NoRubNoDub
lol it only airsoft
Granted... But it's just the tip of the iceberg... I'm more worried about the bedroom stool that can be converted into truncheon/targe...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

Granted... But it's just the tip of the iceberg... I'm more worried about the bedroom stool that can be converted into truncheon/targe...
you wouldnt like my mates then....................ever seen a lamp post been turned into a turnip launcher?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

The youths round here are launching potatoes with hair spray if thats any good...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 PM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

no just no..............im talking 1km range lol is this off topic?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Probably not the most appropriate place to discuss pikey-style home made weapons? :P
Old 07-06-2010, 11:37 PM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

well ill just be hitting the dusty old trail............ woops found the fire escape..........................

Quick Reply: people shot dead in Cumbria