General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Who plays Guitar

Search this Thread

Old 30-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Phil2002
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who plays Guitar

Anyone on here play the guitar?

Hows the best way to learn i have a book and cd called 'Jamorama' but it is very slow what have people had a good experiance with book, cd, or get a one to one tutor?

cheers,
Phil
Old 30-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Tommen
My pet is Moonstone blue!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil2002

Hows the best way to learn i have a book and cd called 'Jamorama' but it is very slow what have people had a good experiance with book, cd, or get a one to one tutor?

cheers,
Phil
Hello! been playing guitar since I was 7, and I'm 30 now..
And I have to say.. first, get a teacher for the first 2 years and then youtube would help you out
Old 30-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been playing for years,,,,, but never been dedicated tbh

i spent 2 years trying to learn sweet child of mine from a book,,,,, from listening to it and just couldnt get it at all

i accidently found it on youtube and was shown what fingers to use ect and now i can finally play it

YOU TUBE is the quickest way to learn how to play BUT you wont be a actually muscian but it will still be impresive when your with mates ect playing famous riffs out

oh and oasis chords are also a good thing to learn,,, not that difficult and again spoon fed on you tube

do a search on "come feel the noise" and it will show a good change that noel does to make the cords far more impresive

ps: the only thing you wont learn on youtube easy is apagios,,,,,, but they are just too fucking hard

oh and learn "blues box" and general petonic scales to help your fingers move around the guitar and in a year you will look like slash to all your mates,,,,,, unless they also play guitar
Old 30-05-2010, 02:35 PM
richard caine
rs enthusiast

teach yourself mate, and play by ear, it's the best way. thats what i did 30 years ago
Old 30-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by richard caine
teach yourself mate, and play by ear, it's the best way. thats what i did 30 years ago
that aint the easiest way,,,, the easiest and quickest way is to be taught for hints on how to finger the board

having a ear for music is sort of a skill that dont come natural to everyone, i have a ear for it but im crap and writing tunes that sound good,,,,,then tend to either sound crap or,,,,,,, its ends up being a tune ive already heard and im playing it a bit wrong pmsl

seriously youtube taught me some riffs that i struggled with,,,,,, its like having a teacher beside you when ever you want for as long as you want
Old 30-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

i would love to play the guitar.
Old 30-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Dav134

I'm learning to play but not very good at the moment only started last week.

Trending Topics

Old 30-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Bev79

Ex hubby played guitar in a band, our son now wants to play and he hasnt even offered to teach him....the twat! Put him in music lessons but cost me way too much. Youtube does some good stuff on there, and its free!
Old 30-05-2010, 06:46 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

I've played the guitar and various instruments in brass bands all my life, and although tuition helps with technical development, you can't really beat your own ears. Learn some chords and listen to music, eventually it will click with enough practice and you'll be amazed to find yourself playing difficult pieces of music without even stopping and starting.

Youtube is ace if you want to learn chords or specific pieces of music, plenty of videos that break songs down with close ups of each and every chord
Old 30-05-2010, 07:30 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Learn the basic chords,e a g f d c and b,which is basically a power chord.choose a few songs that you like and try and work out the chords involved first or even look it up on t'internet.learn tab rather than music as it'll make more sense to technical minded types!!! To be honest with a guitar it's practice practice practice,you'll just get to one day and think"hmm,I'm finally getting this!!!".lessons are great but not cheap and you may even struggle to find anyone to teach you as their very popular with the kids as well.but believe me,it's a great hobby!!
Old 30-05-2010, 07:33 PM
rsturbo27
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

lean ur scales first that will give u finger movement and a bit of inprovisation and u tube is good
Old 30-05-2010, 08:33 PM
baz walton
Rock Out!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First ask yourself what you actually want from learning to play. If it is just to learn a few licks then as said above, you tube the song your looking to play. ( but don't forget you may be watching a player with years of ability) If you want to become a musician then a teacher is a very good way, mostly because of their ability to slow you down to learning at a pace that is right for you, not what you "think" is right for you. learning to play an instrument is the same as any other learning process, your body and mind have to be conditioned to it slowly. Rush at it and you'll soon be discouraged and it'll become just another ornament in the attic.
Old 30-05-2010, 08:45 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

cheers,
Phil

Some pointers in here if you're just starting out:

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...r-players.html
Old 30-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Everyone has a different way of learning. I've been playing since i was 9 and i'm hitting 24 in a weeks time. Been playing as a professional since 19.

In all honesty its about what you want to play. Forget learning chords or scales just yet. They are not important when starting out.

Best way to learn is to learn to play what you want to play and you'll start to learn more and more. When you start to learn your chords, you'll realize that most the stuff you've been playing is whatever chord you maybe learning.

Everyone is suggesting to learn Scales and Chords straight out but trust me when i say you'll give up learning because its not what you want to play.

I've been teaching for the past year now and i found students losing motivation when you tell them what to learn. Now i ask them to bring in a piece they want to learn and i'll break down to make it easier to teach.

Here's me playing a piece i wrote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HMQhuml0uc

Last edited by Pardeep; 30-05-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 30-05-2010, 09:02 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got an electric guitar and an amp from a mate. Ive had a wee look on youtube and tried to copy the tutorials and stuff on there but its really hard!

I did manage to rattle out the simpsons, but it was really really slow
Old 30-05-2010, 09:12 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Agree with pardeep,you'll find from learning chords that you'll find certain songs come from just basic chords like "every rose has it's thorn" by poison is basically gggggggccccccccgggggggccccccc....it's not the best song admittedly!!!just gets ya learning!!!
Old 30-05-2010, 09:46 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Always found guitar to technical for me, i'll stick to being a drummer.
Old 31-05-2010, 10:02 AM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

Pardeep, Just watched your clip mate... Quality

Would love to learn to play..
Old 31-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by fish99
Pardeep, Just watched your clip mate... Quality

Would love to learn to play..
Old 31-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Phil2002

Thanks for all the replies guys. i really wanted to learn smells like teen spirit but fuck me thats hard. I laughed at the simpsons but now i think thats a really good idea. I 'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for all the links.

cheers,
Phil
Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Thanks for all the replies guys. i really wanted to learn smells like teen spirit but fuck me thats hard. I laughed at the simpsons but now i think thats a really good idea. I 'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for all the links.

cheers,
Phil
It seems hard but its not. 2 positions, different strings. You just need to get use to playing power chords.

Good Luck
Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 AM
paul0461

the way forward with guitar is to learn TAB, then just tab every song you want to learn. eventually after a while you will be able to play a shit loads of different songs, and then you just keep practising those songs, and perfect the TAB by ear then. thats what i did 3 years ago with metal music. now i can play pretty much all trivium solos nice and fluidly. alltho im more into acoustic now.. but trust me mate,, TAB IS THE WAY TO GO
Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Phil2002

I've looked in to learning TAB thats the way i'm going to go I don't want to be a proper muscian just be able to play my fav songs on the guitar.
Thanks again for all the advice.

cheers,
Phil
Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been playing on and off for the past ten years or so, but I wouldn't clasify myself as "being able to play guitar". I mean I can play - loads of songs, riffs, improvise stuff etc, but I don't actually know what I'm doing.

And thats the problem with YouTube and self teaching. I can sit down with a CD and after a while be able to play most of it. Rage Against The Machine's self titled record took me about a week or so to learn from start to finish. But you're not actually LEARNING what you're playing - you're just copying it. Same with YouTube - you can watch someone play Sweet Child O Mine and copy where they're fingers are on the fretboard, but you still don't know what you're playing.

You need a teacher, at least to learn the basics. I don't know what key stuff is in, or what note progression that particular run takes, certainly not stuff like pentatonic scales etc. A proper guitarist can look at a fret board and see note patterns through the frets and strings. He'll know before he even gets there what the 6th note will be and where it is on the fretboard, whereas I have to "find" it.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Pardeep

Nice mate, nice. Can I just say two things tho? (well three actually)

1) the second "riff" - any reasons you kept flying up and down the board as opposed to switching stings?

2) the last section, where you used the bar, would have been PERFECT for sweeping!

3) where are the pinch harmonics?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Phil2002

Originally Posted by Thrush
I've been playing on and off for the past ten years or so, but I wouldn't clasify myself as "being able to play guitar". I mean I can play - loads of songs, riffs, improvise stuff etc, but I don't actually know what I'm doing.

And thats the problem with YouTube and self teaching. I can sit down with a CD and after a while be able to play most of it. Rage Against The Machine's self titled record took me about a week or so to learn from start to finish. But you're not actually LEARNING what you're playing - you're just copying it. Same with YouTube - you can watch someone play Sweet Child O Mine and copy where they're fingers are on the fretboard, but you still don't know what you're playing.

You need a teacher, at least to learn the basics. I don't know what key stuff is in, or what note progression that particular run takes, certainly not stuff like pentatonic scales etc. A proper guitarist can look at a fret board and see note patterns through the frets and strings. He'll know before he even gets there what the 6th note will be and where it is on the fretboard, whereas I have to "find" it.

Thats pretty much what i want to do just play the songs i like not really interested in writing my own stuff and not bothered if i don't no what note i'm playing.
I'm sure a proper guitarist will call me a wanker for saying that!!!

cheers,
Phil
Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone has a different way of learning. I've been playing since i was 9 and i'm hitting 24 in a weeks time. Been playing as a professional since 19.

In all honesty its about what you want to play. Forget learning chords or scales just yet. They are not important when starting out.

Best way to learn is to learn to play what you want to play and you'll start to learn more and more. When you start to learn your chords, you'll realize that most the stuff you've been playing is whatever chord you maybe learning.

Everyone is suggesting to learn Scales and Chords straight out but trust me when i say you'll give up learning because its not what you want to play.

I've been teaching for the past year now and i found students losing motivation when you tell them what to learn. Now i ask them to bring in a piece they want to learn and i'll break down to make it easier to teach.

i dont play but wish i could my mates son plays and for his age i think hes awesome

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...subj=851359270

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni6OZCynHUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYSuUmW8uo
Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Rides

Fuck me just watched this..frigging wished I could play like that... I'm finding it hard where to palce my fingers and get them into the right place pmsl, if you understand that lmfsao... just find it hard to bend my hand into that position if you know what I mean..

and trying to understand which notes are the correct ones..yep I'm crap at the mo..but really want to learn how to play..even just a few tunes would be great...
Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Phil2002

Originally Posted by Rides
Fuck me just watched this..frigging wished I could play like that... I'm finding it hard where to palce my fingers and get them into the right place pmsl, if you understand that lmfsao... just find it hard to bend my hand into that position if you know what I mean..

and trying to understand which notes are the correct ones..yep I'm crap at the mo..but really want to learn how to play..even just a few tunes would be great...
yep i know that feeling.
I'm shitter than a shit thing with shit written on it.

must keep practising.

Phil
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Nice mate, nice. Can I just say two things tho? (well three actually)

1) the second "riff" - any reasons you kept flying up and down the board as opposed to switching stings?

2) the last section, where you used the bar, would have been PERFECT for sweeping!

3) where are the pinch harmonics?
Hey Dude

I am switching strings but i'm using octaves on each string

I tried sweeping and it sounded to mechanical for my liking lol

No pinch harmonics Zkk Wylde has taken the fun out of it for us guitarists LOL

Originally Posted by danneth
He's good for sure

Originally Posted by Rides

Thanks man

Just practice, practice and practice.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:48 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

pardeep - thats wicked dude
Old 01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Yeah I've noticed some peoples sweeps sound mechanical and then some peoples sound very "organic". Guess it's just practice I guess....

But pinches are great! Fuck Zakk, he just over uses them! A well placed harmonic can be perfect, specially in a slower tempo solo piece like yours. A little sustain feedback would have worked in it too...

Damn, I should go into producing lol
Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Phil2002

Originally Posted by danneth

very impressed he's really good.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

i really wanted to learn smells like teen spirit but fuck me thats hard.
Its not hard, even the solo is really easy and after a while you'll think that too. Just break it down into small chunks, even a bar at a time if you need. Get it in your memory then you can play it over and over until its smooth. Tab programs help because you can hear how it should be whilst seeing what you should be playing.

I've looked in to learning TAB thats the way i'm going to go I don't want to be a proper muscian just be able to play my fav songs on the guitar.
Thanks again for all the advice.

cheers,
Phil

Have you got tablature software already? If not you can download a free one, Powertab, below. You might also like Guitarpro 5 which you can get by searching for it off the below torrent site.

http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
http://btjunkie.org/

Then just search for your favourite songs you want to learn and download the relevant file, a lot better than looking at the plain old text ones.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
Old 01-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Dav134

Pardeep that is awesome guitar playing.... I have so far to go
lol. Can you do any tutorials on YouTube for us people who aren't very good
Old 01-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Phil2002

Originally Posted by skeg
Its not hard, even the solo is really easy and after a while you'll think that too. Just break it down into small chunks, even a bar at a time if you need. Get it in your memory then you can play it over and over until its smooth. Tab programs help because you can hear how it should be whilst seeing what you should be playing.

Have you got tablature software already? If not you can download a free one, Powertab, below. You might also like Guitarpro 5 which you can get by searching for it off the below torrent site.

http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
http://btjunkie.org/

Then just search for your favourite songs you want to learn and download the relevant file, a lot better than looking at the plain old text ones.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Thanks for the links i was just looking a plain text ones i had found on the internet i'll definatly give them ago.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Phil2002

I had an electric guitar coach program that had a guitar tuner built into it but for some reason it doesn't work on my new laptop(windows 7) any one no of a free downloadable one that's any good.

cheers,
Phil

Last edited by Phil2002; 01-06-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Purple Jw

I used to play the Clarinet years ago ¬_¬, that tought me how to read music and all.

Like Pardeep said: 'Best way to learn is to learn to play what you want to play and you'll start to learn more and more. When you start to learn your chords, you'll realize that most the stuff you've been playing is whatever chord you maybe learning.'

Thats what I did learnt some easy stuff when starting out, then started to link the theory to it, you realize you've learnt alot of the basic theory just from playing your favorite tunes.

Just keep at it
Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Phil2002

I have just learnt to play my first tune it's not perfect and a little slow but it actually sounded like the song. I have to admit a one armed monkey could have proberly played it better but i can still say i can play come as you are by Nivarna on guitar. sweet well pleased with my self.

cheers,
Phil
Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

I'll do a chord video this weekend. I'll keep it simple. Just the Basic A B C D E F G!!!

I may throw in a quick 1minute showing the basic pentatonic scale (the easiest scale ever)

Quick Reply: Who plays Guitar