General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Wheeler dealers new series.

Search this Thread

Old 28-05-2010, 09:07 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheeler dealers new series.

Just wondering if anyone on here's following this,obviously the saff they did has been discussed in depth but what gets me about the program is the amount they spend on paintwork,I mean poor old Ed does most of the prepwork and they still seem to pay well over the odds.on the last car,BMW 840 they paid £1000 for a door and bumper to be painted and the whole car buffed,ok there's a bit of blending but that's fucking ridiculous,I would have struggled to get £300 odd quid for that.are my prices too low or do you all think that they glamorise it a bit for the cameras?
Old 28-05-2010, 09:10 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

are they down south? different money league down there aint it...
Old 28-05-2010, 09:16 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Its been discussed on here a thousand times before. Just watch it for a bit of light hearted entertainment. Yes mike is a chump, yes ed needs to give him a thump, but who cares!
Old 28-05-2010, 09:27 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rik-rs
are they down south? different money league down there aint it...
Good point,think they are south coast way,but it seems very expensive to me!!
Old 28-05-2010, 09:32 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rich170
Its been discussed on here a thousand times before. Just watch it for a bit of light hearted entertainment. Yes mike is a chump, yes ed needs to give him a thump, but who cares!

Oh I love watching it tbh,I don't even mind mike brewer but he is a bit of a trumpet!!no,it just seems to me they pay or quote well over the odds for paintwork when where I'm based I struggle to get people to pay £100 for a job!!!
Old 29-05-2010, 06:27 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's because the welsh are tighter than the scots.
tabetha
Old 29-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Love watching it, but I think they could shop around for cheaper prices. Maybe Discovery have a deal with the companies
Old 29-05-2010, 07:25 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

I can get paint done cheap through knowing a bloke with a bodyshop, although paint is expensive nowadays being waterbased it ain't that expensive.. you would have thought ed would have known someone that could do it cheap being in the trade.. makes me wonder how much the paint bloke charges the general public!!! an in fairness some of the work he has done doesn't exactly look superb
Old 29-05-2010, 08:14 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

you have to take it with a pinch of salt, like the time brand new discs and pads appeared on the car but never got mentioned, or the fat that most have brand new tyres at the end but again, aren't mentioned.

We all know that in reality making a profit out of buying an old classic and fixin it up is difficult and if you threw in the man hours they would never make a bean let alone the £100 they seem to acheive on most cars lol!!
Old 29-05-2010, 08:19 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matts1

We all know that in reality making a profit out of buying an old classic and fixin it up is difficult and if you threw in the man hours they would never make a bean let alone the £100 they seem to acheive on most cars lol!!
exactly. if you spend only a day fixing up a car at a garage the labour alone is £300. let alone the weeks ed seems to spend stripping, prepping and rebuilding full respray cars.
i could never make a profit on any car spending the money they do on them. mike buys a lemon and the sell a decent enough car. it cant be done in the real world.

i enjoy watching it though. Ed is a quality mechanic at the back of it. i remember him in max power years ago

Last edited by orionmojo; 29-05-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 29-05-2010, 08:48 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

not forgetting that Ed unlike most of us has a fully loaded work shop with all the tools to hand!!

Should be more shows like it tbh as they are entertaining to watch.
Old 30-05-2010, 01:57 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
That's because the welsh are tighter than the scots.
tabetha
Too true,if one more old cunt enters my workshop telling me "that someone hit him in tescos carpark so can you do it cheaper" I'm going to be sent down for murder!!!!!And yes,it is my best fucking price!!!main reason why I'm wrapping it up,word of advice,nobody is interested in the paint game (fast forders aside) in you doing a good job,the only question they ever ask is " how much?" " he'll do it for less" fuck off!!! Apologies for rant!!
Old 30-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They aren't far from Maidenhead in Berkshire, where Mike takes the cars for a "test drive" is always around Pinkneys green and Bisham That's a long test drive Mike Where they used to sell the cars by the river was Hurley with the Thames in the background.
Old 30-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely love the series... take away the bullshit and IMO you are left with two enthusiasts who really seem to enjoy what theyre doing!!

Also... i sent an email to Edd China about 2 months ago just saying that i thought his wacky road creations were brilliant and i got a reply from him so a top lad IMO!!

As people have said before you have to take certain aspects of the show with a pinch of salt but on the whole Mike seems a good bloke and Edd seems to know his stuff and neither patronise which i like.
Old 30-05-2010, 11:08 AM
ECOS95
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by markyd3
I absolutely love the series... take away the bullshit and IMO you are left with two enthusiasts who really seem to enjoy what theyre doing!!

Also... i sent an email to Edd China about 2 months ago just saying that i thought his wacky road creations were brilliant and i got a reply from him so a top lad IMO!!

As people have said before you have to take certain aspects of the show with a pinch of salt but on the whole Mike seems a good bloke and Edd seems to know his stuff and neither patronise which i like.
Couldn't of said it better, always puts a smile on my face watching the show.
Old 30-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep quite enjoy it. You have to take it with a pinch of salt but it's good entertainment