General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ceiling repair quesion, came home from holiday to find a water leak!

Search this Thread

Old 15-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ceiling repair quesion, came home from holiday to find a water leak!

I came home from a weeks holiday and the first thing I saw as I reached the top of the stairs (I live in a town house) was a rather shiny looking wood floor I looked up and I saw water dripping out of my living room ceiling and water all over the place, why does it have to happen while you are away

I found the source of the leak in the airing cupboard upstairs and I've bodged that until the plumber can get here but the living room ceiling is bowed. As soon as I got some charge into the drill I drilled a couple of holes to drain the water but it was too late and it looks like it's ruined the ceiling.

The ceiling will have to be repaired due to the water damage & holes but will they have to rip it down to repair the fact it's now bowed?I'm guessing so but I hope not because that'll create even more mess! Because it's a townhouse it has also leaked through the floor into the garage below but luckily it didn't hit the cossie because I always leave the windows open on it! I think the wood flooring in the living room may survive but what a mess to arrive home to.

Anyone had any experience of this?
Old 16-05-2010, 05:45 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah ... claim off of your insurance .. they will remove the damaged water affected bits fit new boards, reskim it and paint it .. should take around a day to do the repair and skim..wait a few days then paint it so allow a week all told .... had our bathroom done..
check the floor though it might swellup or distort when it dries ...
Old 16-05-2010, 08:22 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

wait for it to dry out, you'll be amazed how it goes back to shape. Having said that, I went out for the day on my birthday about 18 months ago and came back early evening to find a joint on the cold water supply had burst upstairs and it had been coming into the house at mains pressure all day, my lounge and downstairs hallway was fucked.

Insurance didnt want to know to begin with, then after I got all my quotes ( about Ł20k ) to replace damaged stuff and have it redecorated to exactly the same spec they offered me Ł7k!!!!! I was like WTF, as I didn't take the piss with the claim, so I had to get an independant loss adjuster involved and threaten them with the obmudsman. Cunts. Got it sorted in the end but they try anything they can not to pay!

Good luck with yours, but you'll have to dry it out before they will look at anything, they may send round a company with some drying equipment.
Old 16-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

i did the same came home from holiday to find an inch of water on the livinroom floor..totally devasted me and the mrs...cost circa 10k to fix.
Old 16-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Why does it always happen like this The ceiling is still bowed today and the laminate flooring looks like it's fucked but I don't think it'll cost much to sort. It seems to be drying out quite quickly now but I have no idea how bad the damage is to the stuff you can't see.

See what the insurance company say tomorrow...

Thanks for the comments, seems I'm not on my own
Old 16-05-2010, 12:34 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

ps, it took 2 months for my lounge to dry out, with central heating on 24/7 and two large dehumidifiers and an air mover
Old 16-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fucking hell! There must have been some serious amount of water come down The ceiling is still damp and god knows about the floor but it isn't all that bad, luckily the floor isn't carpeted because that would be a nightmare.
Old 17-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The builder has been over tonight and it's going to be a big job, new floor, new ceiling, new coving, new ceiling in the garage and he is also talking about replacing the floor on the landing because it's a bit dodgy and water could have got underneath it. I wonder if I can claim that the rickety shed was in the lounge while I was on holiday

It could be a good opportunity to get the place done up nicely and get some insulation fitted under the living room floor to keep the cold out in the winter.

Watch this space......