General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MOT Advisory rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:31 PM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MOT Advisory rant

Last year when I put my car in for MOT, I had a number of advisories, both front tyres which were on their way out, both front discs and pads and ball joints worn. I had the tyres done, had the brakes checked over when I replaced the rear pads and was told nowt wrong with the front discs or pads, so I left the ball joints. Now, I was under the impression that if a part warrented an advisory then it was on its way out, so therefore when this years MOT was carried out, it could fail on those parts if they hadn't been put right? The car sailed through, no problems, no advisories, showed the tester last years advisory sheet, told him apart from the tyres nothing had been changed, he said he couldn't see any problems and last years tester must have been taking the piss. Just to add, this years and last years MOT were done at different garages.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, look on the bright side. At least you know which garage you're taking it to next year!!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

was last years garage shit fit?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Fiesta SuperSport
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which ipswich garages were they, just for information?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 PM
285andy
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

wouldnt worry about it mate. most advise these days seems to be arse covering for the tester. understandably
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

last few times we've MOT'd the 205 the tester has put the advisory
"prepared for motorsport use"
what the fuck has that got to do with the price of fish?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
KregRS

Originally Posted by Fiesta SuperSport
which ipswich garages were they, just for information?
The piss take garage was on Dales Road, cant remember the name, and todays garage was GW Autoserve,

Originally Posted by 285andy
wouldnt worry about it mate. most advise these days seems to be arse covering for the tester. understandably
There's covering his arse, and advising on stuff that don't need doing....
Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM
MarkyMark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

but stuff they would quite happily do, charge you a fair whack for, and not take up a load of time, easy money imo
Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
D16PJM

i have a ford galaxy to cart the kids around and i got an advisory saying rear seats folded unable to check safety belts.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

nearly as good as my. unable to check spare wheel as items in boot!!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:54 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

If you was a mot tester you would understand the scrutiny your under, and if vosa come and do a random re inspection they will be asking why your not advising items, it is as said to cover the testers arse in the event of re inspection or appeal, I advise a lot, if I see it I'm advising it, esp if its a pile of shit.

When your trained as a tester its drummed into you pass and advise
Old 08-05-2010, 07:13 PM
KregRS

Originally Posted by studabear

When your trained as a tester its drummed into you pass and advise
But why advise on a non existant problem?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 PM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

hi mate at my previous garage i worked at i was an mot tester. when advisorys are brought up its a very gery area in the mot world and a tester has loads of options for advisories and also has an option to write any thing manualy. im not sticking up for your old tester as i belive in being honest about someones car and was fair with my advisorys, but i come across alot of testers that were either over the top or just didnt give advisorys atal!
the best bit is something we have all got to remember (inculding me now im not a tester) that is mots are minimum standards. your car has to be pretty fuked to fail. ie rust it has to be either a hole, crack, or fracture within 30cm of a structural point. with bushes or ball joints they have to be so worn or deteriorated they would adversly affect steering or braking, tyres have to be BELOW the limit and splits have to showing cords, brake pads have to be below 1.5mm witch is hard to prove, and discs have to be really fuked to fail but they can get you on brake imbalance, but if you tell them youve got an lsd, or atb diff then they will have to do a decelaromiter test and if you see a tester about to put your lsd equiped car on the rollers, stop them as it will cause damage.
sorry to go on but once i start i just cant stoip
jon
Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

tis a bit strange,
Old 09-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

As the saying goes "pass with as many advisories as possible". Like everyone is saying its just them covering their back.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 AM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

when i was trained as an MOT tester i was told to see it as instead of "pass and advise" but more of a "pass and cover your ass" maby the last tester felt a little bit of play and "covered his ass" by pointing it out..... but the new tester did not notis it being lazy as we all can??
Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 AM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by jon_ross
hi mate at my previous garage i worked at i was an mot tester. when advisorys are brought up its a very gery area in the mot world and a tester has loads of options for advisories and also has an option to write any thing manualy. im not sticking up for your old tester as i belive in being honest about someones car and was fair with my advisorys, but i come across alot of testers that were either over the top or just didnt give advisorys atal!
the best bit is something we have all got to remember (inculding me now im not a tester) that is mots are minimum standards. your car has to be pretty fuked to fail. ie rust it has to be either a hole, crack, or fracture within 30cm of a structural point. with bushes or ball joints they have to be so worn or deteriorated they would adversly affect steering or braking, tyres have to be BELOW the limit and splits have to showing cords, brake pads have to be below 1.5mm witch is hard to prove, and discs have to be really fuked to fail but they can get you on brake imbalance, but if you tell them youve got an lsd, or atb diff then they will have to do a decelaromiter test and if you see a tester about to put your lsd equiped car on the rollers, stop them as it will cause damage.
sorry to go on but once i start i just cant stoip
jon
no way mate as an mot tester my self if some one comes up to me and says "ive got an lsd/atb so dont put my car on the brake rollers!!" i would say no problem mate and push the very kool button on our brake rollers (and many others) thats marked 4x4 witch lest the other wheel free spool (ie terning any way it wants) so not only will i be carring out an mot test i will also be telling them if there diff works propaly
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM
jon_ross
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by clarke5700
no way mate as an mot tester my self if some one comes up to me and says "ive got an lsd/atb so dont put my car on the brake rollers!!" i would say no problem mate and push the very kool button on our brake rollers (and many others) thats marked 4x4 witch lest the other wheel free spool (ie terning any way it wants) so not only will i be carring out an mot test i will also be telling them if there diff works propaly
if thats the case then fair enough, but the rollers i used to use were fairy old and alot of testing stations have old equipment so just bear it in mind
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Had it with a friends car at Kwik Shit. Advised a load of work needed doing so I went down as she was in a panic at £400 worth of work on top of the MOT. Asked the guy to show me the defects which he was reluctant to do and then told me they failed it for 2 tyres being low on tread and the reverse light being broken. I took my tread depth guage and recorded 2.?mm across the whole tyre and the guy looked really pissed when I pointed out the revers light was not part of the MOT test. Spent the next 30 mins with the manager trying to get an explanation. He kept trying to fob me off and insisted the reverse light was a fail. Only when I threatened to report him and the garage to VOSA and Trading Standards did he start to back down. Cunts!! They must be on a commision of some sort
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 AM
D16PJM

my old company started using kwik fit for there mot's on all our transit connects and every van regardless of milage failed on rear shoes and drums, some had 30k on the clock and others 100k and passed mot's before no problem, when my van went in with 46,000 miles and had to have £600 worth of work on the brakes i asked for the old parts as i thought it was poor that with that milage it needed so much but they wouldn't give me the parts.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 AM
philpy-si
Regular Contributor

I had similar as the OP, took my suzuki sj for mot a few years back, and they advised worn bushes in the rear leaf springs. Been back to the same garage for 2 more MOTS and they have mentioned it again!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Originally Posted by Roosie
nearly as good as my. unable to check spare wheel as items in boot!!!!

Shouldn't even of been looking at the spare - it does not come into the MOT and never has done
Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 AM
rubinsbin
BANNED
BANNED

ok!-garage not doing many repairs at the moment-but wait we have 6 mot's today
lets fail a few to get some work in-do as many advisory's as we can,
HEY WERE BACK IN F--G WORK!!!!!!!
AND ALL YOU GARAGES OUT THEIR DONT SAY IT DONT HAPPEN-- COS IT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
I CAN HEAR YOU SAYING NOW-NOT ME GUV--,
I'M (ME) IN THE MOTOR TRADE --------CHARGE £20 CASH TO THE TRADE-
AND KNOW EVERY LOOPHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Steve the Plumber
The original Rouge Trader

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rubinsbin
ok!-garage not doing many repairs at the moment-but wait we have 6 mot's today
lets fail a few to get some work in-do as many advisory's as we can,
HEY WERE BACK IN F--G WORK!!!!!!!
AND ALL YOU GARAGES OUT THEIR DONT SAY IT DONT HAPPEN-- COS IT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
I CAN HEAR YOU SAYING NOW-NOT ME GUV--,
I'M (ME) IN THE MOTOR TRADE --------CHARGE £20 CASH TO THE TRADE-
AND KNOW EVERY LOOPHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remind us not to use you or your garage. LOL
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Graceland
Shouldn't even of been looking at the spare - it does not come into the MOT and never has done

I'm pretty certain that if there IS a spare wheel there then it HAS to be legal also!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambchop
I'm pretty certain that if there IS a spare wheel there then it HAS to be legal also!
Don't think the spare is even mentioned in the MOT test
Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

IIRC if you dont have a spare in the car its not a failure, BUT if you have a spare in the car, and its not legal for road use then it will fail the MOT!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
rsfido_1989
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

correct caz
Old 09-05-2010, 02:28 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Some testers are mega by the book but others not so,just like police really,some will let u off 34 in a 30 others want to send u to prison for it.I can't mention names as it maybe libelous but there's a garage in the baglan area that is ridiculous on mots,one of these " I won't allow this vehicle to leave as it's unsafe" type of shit,guy is a total nark.my mate sold a stunning mk2 gti to the next unit over.they took it to this prick to get it checked over before they bought it.he refused to allow the car to leave as the suspension had collapsed,major electrical problems and an illegal exhaust.it turned out that the fucking imbicele didn't even know that the car had coilovers hence it was so low,the major electrical problems were a blown light at the rear and the exhaust was street legal,just a full stainless system,he'd quoted them £600 to do the work!!I mot cars every week and 99% of testers are really sound,we take them to Fairfield mot centre in port Talbot and have had no problems at all so far,very fair.I don't believe they offer to do any work on the cars therefore have little to gain by failing them on pointless things.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:30 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just to add I'm not associated to them in any way,just tidy people!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by **caz**
IIRC if you dont have a spare in the car its not a failure, BUT if you have a spare in the car, and its not legal for road use then it will fail the MOT!
the rules changed years ago as it is now if the car had a flat, bald etc tyre it should be passed but an advisory issued,CANT be failed
and as other testers have said pass and advise it
Hth