General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Separated parents

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:16 AM
turbochild
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Separated parents

I'm a single dad i look after my daughter full time and i have done for 2 years. 12 months after the ex walked out she decided she wants to be a mum again and took me to court for access which i never denied in the first place as far as i'm concerned my daughter has a right to know her mum!! Anyway i recently bought my daughter a quad which she loves and i see it as a bit of fun for the summer well my daughter was on the phone to her mum and told her about the quad now she is saying she is going to seek advice from her solicitor to prevent me letting my daughter on her quad i just told her to away fucking do it as when she lives with me and in my care it is me that will decide what she can and can't do

Am i in the wrong? I don't think so my daughter has all the safety equipment i can get her cost me a fortune helmet body armour etc but you can't put a price on safety but i aint gonna stop her having fun on her mum's say so.

Opinions please does anyone see a solicitor taking this seriously?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 AM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What age is she?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

dont wrap her in cotton wool. the dirt will do her good. no freak allergies or weak immune system as she'll actually develop one as she grows up, unlike half these H&S obsessed parents who over protect their kids so they end up developing asthma, allergies etc etc and then get ill all the time from bugs outside

very little the mum can do. im sure she will lie through her teeth to try and make out you are reckless.

has the cow bothered to actually ask what your daughter wants???

funny how in so many of these kinds of cases no one actually asks the child what they think I presume she enjoys riding it otherwise she wouldnt bother!!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 AM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

Warren but I do think in the eyes of the law a child has to be 14 or 16 to use a atv but I think you can get around it with a remote control kill switch
Old 08-05-2010, 02:13 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

I take my hat off to you mate .

Parenthood is hard enough as a couple.

I hope it all works out for you and your girl.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no nothing the ex can do. and if she goes to get legal advice they will just laugh at her. Sounds like shes just trying to cause u trouble and heartache.
Its not an easy job bringing a kid up on ur own, and its even harder when the ex is being a arse.
Aslong as your daughter is happy thats the main thing. Keep up all the good work
Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why does she care now, when she didnt care when she walked out ???

Just sounds like she is jeleous that you got on with your duties as a father and have bought her impressive presents along the way and she cant do that or will have the bond that you and your daughter have.

Fuck her the daft mare

If you have all the equipment needed to make it safe as possible then she will get laughed at and made to look an arse.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
cozzy940
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by NoRubNoDub
Warren but I do think in the eyes of the law a child has to be 14 or 16 to use a atv but I think you can get around it with a remote control kill switch
dont think so mate
Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

The way I see it is, if she cared that much about your daughter, she would have been there for her all this time. She has a cheek to tell you what's good and bad for her in my opinion, considering she's not been there for her. Does she think she can come from nowhere and call the shots?

I always wanted a quad as a kid and my Dad always said no which was a pisser. It's decent that you let your daughter have one I reckon'.

Benni.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fair play to you make,

there are a few things which both parents should have a say in but something like that is down to you.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:15 PM
turbochild

Cheers for the reply's people as far as safety features on the quad all can be proved via all the books etc you get with it, Oviously i know ther are risks involved as with anything i minimise them as much as i possibly could at the end of the day there is an eliment of risk involved in anything you let you kids out on a bike they could come back with a broken arm let them out without one they still could come with a broken arm or leg. At the end of the day i want my daughter to enjoy her upbringing as much as i can possibly allow she goes to dance classes i get no complaints about that lol what i am trying to say is we can't give them the freedom we had so if she wants to try something and i can make that happen then i will let her try it if there is risk involved of course i will minimise them as much as i can but i'll still let her try and it isn't just a mother that doesn't want harm to come to there kids i don't either but you still need to loosen the raines a bit imo

Oh and age wise she is about to turn 6 in my defence she does dance classes too lol

Last edited by turbochild; 08-05-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tbh you sound like a decent farther,
Old 08-05-2010, 02:29 PM
turbochild

A bit of the background on the ex

She walked out after saying she didn't wanna be a mum and hooked up with a guy lost interest in my daughter i had a step daughter also because i kept my daughter and the ex didn't wanna know when it came to even talking to her on the phone which i insisted on as it is my daughters right to have her mum in her life imo or until she decides not to as my daughter never asked to be brought into the world we chose to at the time. Anyway her mother (ex mother inlaw) in her wisdom got social services on me to try get my daughter it backfired bigtime as social services took interest in my step daughter also they done there checks on her. I welcomed them back anytime told them i hadn't been a single dad before if they spotted anything i was doing wrong please to tell me. My social work report couldn't of been any better infact the only thing they said i should do was take more time out for myself. The ex on the other hand still has them on her back her 7 year old daughter is on the child protection register and is visited twice a week. Social services were the one that caused problems with the court for access as i never denied her access but to prevent my daughter from been put on the at risk register i am only allowed to let her see her mum once every six weeks for 3 hours
Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

The at risk register doesnt mean a great deal to be fair. Social services are so inefficient these days anyway You certainly dont have anything to be worried about.

Your ex sounds like a bit of a psycho/damaged goods
Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got a 6 year old daughter, and TBH I wouldn't let her ride a quad. But that's for you, as her primary carer, to decide, and is nothing to do with me, nor her lousy mother! Tell her to get to fuck!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:03 AM
turbochild

If only i knew then what i do now Warren then maybe i wouldn't be in this perdicament but then i certainly don't regret my daughter that is for sure

Fair enough Dan i can see your point it isn't for everyone letting there kids on a quad. I just don't see the harm in it within reason it is restricted heavily at the min but in time will eventually be opened up as she gets older. We always had bikes etc when we were younger my dad prefered us to be on the farm on a bike then hanging about the local shops etc i know kids as young as 4 to have had them and racing bikes from the age of 8 upwards
Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 AM
JohnnyP
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

sod the ex mate, couple of my mates have got quads for there 4 and 5 year old kids,boys and girls,and they have every piece of protective clothing you can buy and the kill switchs that go round the rist,the engines are limited so they cant go fast enough to roll it on its side.every parent is different with there children when it comes to somethin with an engine in it. your ex needs shooting or somethin!the lawyers will just laugh in her face when she says anything! go out and have fun! its just like learning to ride a bike with out staberlizers,your bound to crash a million times before you get used to it!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 AM
turbochild

That's what i thought mate sod the ex lol, if she says anything else about it i'll just tell her shouldn't your solicitor be telling me this, at the end of the day my daughter loves it and is happy. As far as safety i've done everything in my power to insure her safety i've got an appointment with my solicotor so i may give it a mention!