General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! turbo problem BMW 530d

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
paul thornton
BMW RS DIESELWORTH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! turbo problem BMW 530d

Hi, I know its not a ford but I have a bmw 530d m sport 2001 y reg with 148000 miles on the clock, which has had a new turbo fitted at about 100 000 miles buy its previous owner. I had the car remapped when I bought it about 6 months ago and apart from a split inlet manifold its been fine. Recently I have noticed when driving the car hard, ie. accelerating from about 40 upwards in 5th gear that the turbo makes a fluttering sound between about 2000 - 2300 revs but gets past it and just accelerates and still pulls hard as normal, but if you drive the car hard through the gears it doesnt do it at all, so I presume its doing it at peak boost. This weekend has now highlighted my concern as now when it flutters its making an audiable squeel and you can def. notice a power loss, but before 2000 revs and after 2300 revs its fine, doesnt flutter and doesnt make the noise, you can just hear the turbo wistling and it accelerates as normal. Id like to think it isnt the turbo on its way out as its relatively new and the car doesnt smoke at all, so im wondering could it be the wastegate or the actuator or something else? I have noticed that I can move the actuator rod by hand with the engine switched off, dont know if this is normal but I def. couldnt do it on my cosworth ? it does stiffen up when the engine is running though so the vac side of it must be working,Anyone any ideas? Any help would be much apreciated as its now starting to worry me a bit! Many thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be a vnt turbo, they suffer with the veins sticking due to carbon build up, it may be worth running a fuel treatment through it, sometimes that can help.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

if the veins are sticking a fuel treatment will not help the only cure is removing the turbo and having them cleaned it costs around 80quid to have them cleaned, get a mate to start the car for you while watching the actuator, on startup it should move in and out once have a look to see if it does this it should move freely and if it is juddery it will need cleaning
Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the veins are just starting to stick then sometimes a fuel treatment can work if there to bad then its turbo off & hope its not an electronic actuator!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
if the veins are just starting to stick then sometimes a fuel treatment can work if there to bad then its turbo off & hope its not an electronic actuator!
i know what you mean with the electronic actuator even the manufacturers arnt always sure which one to supply! and getting a second hand one that is set the same as the one you have is like a needle in a haystack! ill have to give the fuel treatment a try on the next one i get in at work, i always presumed by the time it had been burnt in the engine it was useless so no good for de-carboning the veins
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 PM
paulj
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

just replaced the turbo on mine,last sat,95000 miles exact same symptoms as yours!!
when we insp the turbo,there was a little piece missing off one of the vanes,
got one through turbo technics next day,runnin like a dream again.
hope you sort it.

cheers paul
Old 06-05-2010, 05:58 AM
paul thornton
BMW RS DIESELWORTH

Originally Posted by paulj
just replaced the turbo on mine,last sat,95000 miles exact same symptoms as yours!!
when we insp the turbo,there was a little piece missing off one of the vanes,
got one through turbo technics next day,runnin like a dream again.
hope you sort it.

cheers paul
How much did that cost you then? got a receipt for the previous one and thet was 1100 quid, 3 years ago!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:41 AM
paulj
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by paul thornton
How much did that cost you then? got a receipt for the previous one and thet was 1100 quid, 3 years ago!

cost me £528 all the gaskets inc,and a 2 year warranty your old turbo in exchange,give you 14 days to return the old unit,courier picks it up foc.

ordered mine last fri,delivered sat morn,fitted sat afternoon,old one picked up on tues,

cheers paul
Old 06-05-2010, 11:21 AM
paul thornton
BMW RS DIESELWORTH

Originally Posted by paulj
cost me £528 all the gaskets inc,and a 2 year warranty your old turbo in exchange,give you 14 days to return the old unit,courier picks it up foc.

ordered mine last fri,delivered sat morn,fitted sat afternoon,old one picked up on tues,

cheers paul
Don't sound too bad. What are they like to fit? Looks a bit tight.