General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Hub Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 19-04-2010, 08:36 PM
pauljh
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Hub Dyno

Has anyone had any experience with these? There is a lot of posts about rolling roads but nothing i can find about hub dynos.
I am assuming they are more reliable as you eliminate the wheel spin issues associated with rollers?
Old 19-04-2010, 08:40 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

they are supposed to be more accurate due to eliminating tyre to roller potential issues.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No. They aren't.

OK, so the chance of wheelspin is eliminated, but thats an easy one to sort out if you know what you're doing anyway. We find that Hub Dyno's chronically over-read. Usually, in my experience, a wheel-figure generated on a Hub Dyno is roughly the same as a 'Flywheel' figure on a DD Dyno. So, OK if you want a figure to impress your mates with.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:47 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
No. They aren't.

OK, so the chance of wheelspin is eliminated, but thats an easy one to sort out if you know what you're doing anyway. We find that Hub Dyno's chronically over-read. Usually, in my experience, a wheel-figure generated on a Hub Dyno is roughly the same as a 'Flywheel' figure on a DD Dyno. So, OK if you want a figure to impress your mates with.

i didnt know that mate

theres a few guys on gtroc who seem to have v high wheel figures for there gtrs on the same spec as me, i understand why now as there getting roughly at the wheels what i get at the flywheel on dd.
Old 19-04-2010, 08:55 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd agree with C&B...

Setting them up is also a PITA!
Old 19-04-2010, 09:18 PM
pauljh

Why would they read high, surely they would be calibrated like any other type of dyno?
Old 19-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A hub dyno will always read higher due to less transmission losses won't it?
How much difference would you expect between the hubs and the wheels?

I've been on AET turbos hub dyno and got 237bhp at all 4 hubs, if that's over reading then I'm happy with whatever power I did have to go 12 dead.
Old 19-04-2010, 10:42 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Its not wheel spin that you would be looking to eliminate its the tyre rolling resistance.

If calibrated the same as a normal chassis dyno they would read slightyl higher due to no RR loss.

JAmes.
Old 20-04-2010, 06:43 AM
pauljh

So i assume the result would be more like a bench dyno?
Old 20-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

People batter on about calibration, but calibration to what? It's each companies beliefs and methods of how things are done thats the problem.

It's one of those ideas that looked great when it was originally released, but in reality they aren't that great. Dynojet dyno's also have a tendancy to over-read. It's just down to how they are spoken about globally, if the majority of people find that the results from them are higher than other RR's they use, then really, thats point proven.
Old 20-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What about comparing a DD RR to a DD Hub Dyno? How much are the figures likely to alter?
Old 20-04-2010, 07:34 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljh
So i assume the result would be more like a bench dyno?
this sounds like a challenge one of the mags would be possibly intrested in covering if there was some actual clinical proof at the end of the day

you could look to see a set up where you had an engine on the bench dyno, stuck it into a car and then taken it to "secret locations" to see which sets of rollers gave the closest resluts (i know they've done something like this previously but can't remember which mag it was that tested a bunch of rollers)

but this way you could compare the runs acros a wider spectrum of rollers as well as variying days with different temps, different parts of the country, etc as long as you used the same petrol/diseasal and so on and so forth

much beter i would assume nowadays seeing as the temps are going to be hgher due to it being the summer and it would possibly eliminate the "my cars got more power than yours because it was done on a hub dyno" pub talk
Old 21-04-2010, 11:29 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

What does it matter ??

They are all for pub talk if you just want numbers.

A Dyno just needs to offer repeatable and reliable results. That defines how accurate it is. The numbers could be anything. Its hard for some to grasp, but a dyno is actually a tuning tool. Not something for gimps to boast about down the pub.

If the car is tuned on a dyno, and makes good gains, and runs fast on the road/track...that is what matters. The PHP numbers really dont matter ( Pub Horse Power )
Old 21-04-2010, 11:49 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What does it matter ??

They are all for pub talk if you just want numbers.

A Dyno just needs to offer repeatable and reliable results. That defines how accurate it is. The numbers could be anything. Its hard for some to grasp, but a dyno is actually a tuning tool. Not something for gimps to boast about down the pub.

If the car is tuned on a dyno, and makes good gains, and runs fast on the road/track...that is what matters. The PHP numbers really dont matter ( Pub Horse Power )

this attitude does make me chuckle lol

maybe people just want an idea what power there running it doesnt mean there gimps ffs
Old 21-04-2010, 11:58 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
this attitude does make me chuckle lol

maybe people just want an idea what power there running it doesnt mean there gimps ffs
When everyone knows dynos read different...that's what they are getting. an IDEA of power.

Not an exact figure, not an accurate figure...but it is a figure.

If its a big number they are happy, if its low, there is something wrong with their car.

So do you see my sceptisism ?

ive seen people with very slow cars go to a RR and make big numbers. They go away happy as a pig in shite. Yet wonder why everyone smokes them.

Ive seen people with cars that perform very well, they go to a dyno...and get low numbers and start searching for problems with the car.

Then of course there are operators who fudge numbers on "health checks" to try and convince the person the car needs remedial work. When in actual fact there is fuck all wrong, apart from a gullible owner.

In short....before/after numbers whilst tuning are valid. Everything else I take with a large pinch of salt.
Old 21-04-2010, 07:07 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
People batter on about calibration, but calibration to what?
national standards perhaps?
Old 21-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
national standards perhaps?
Would be nice in theory, but until anyone agree's on one method, it's not going to happen. Until then, we just need to know whose results to believe and whose results to take with a pinch of salt.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:13 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

The real dyno is black. When its proven there....the rest is irrelevant.

Its better to go fast with a low power figure...than slow with a high one.

But a dyno is a good tool to help make a car go fast.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:13 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

you seem to be talking about something different. i am talking about calibration of the load cell to national standards. that is the basis of getting an accurate measurement. if that is not right, nothing will be right.

how you ramp the load, do the coast down, compensate for temperature etc will affect the reading of course - more so on a chassis dyno than a hub one.