General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

old-skool pink fuel relay problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
V8monster
Grease Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old-skool pink fuel relay problems!!!

hi can anyone help me out on this old-skool problem?? my fuel pump relayand moreover the fuse on the side of it gets very hot, to the point where the old relay eventually got slightly melted and i broke down! i have since fitted the perfectly good relay off a friends car, which has now got some slight heat damage around the output terminal and the fuse holder is beginning to look slightly melted!! aaargh the car is a 2.8i Sierra XR4, same bosch system as all your xr3i's etc. I have measured the resistance on the wiring and its virtually nothing, iv cleaned the fuel pump terminals and replaced the rotten connectors with female bullet connectors crimped up nice n tight. could the pump be drawing too much current? (surely that would blow the fuse??) any knowledge or experience of this situation would be much appreciated all
Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

If the wiring and connectors to the fuse and relay are all in a good condition it sounds like your pump is drawing too much current.

This could be the pump itself failing due to a burned out winding or a partially blocked fuel line or fuel filter.
Old 13-04-2010, 10:45 PM
V8monster
Grease Monkey

cool thanks for that mate iv heard that old pumps can cause problems. my pump itself looks very old probably original, the bracket is absolutely hanging! seems strange that it doesnt blow the fuse tho :-s but its the fuse getting hot more than the relay itself since i repaired some dodgy wiring at the pump end, so hopefully its just time for a new pump then??? im really crap with electrics but theres not much else i can see that could cause the problem!
Old 13-04-2010, 10:47 PM
V8monster
Grease Monkey

Oh its definitely not a blocked filter, cant verify fuel lines for sure but there seemed to be plenty of pressure at the filter when i changed it! and fuel gushed pretty freely out of the tank when i undid the pipe to check the pump after the car broke down