General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Back pain?

Search this Thread

Old 31-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Mrs Jtechsaff
500bhp saff cossie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back pain?

Does anyone suffer from back pain??

James is suffering with lower back pain (after working on engines for years on end!!) and he is being a woman and wont take anything so I am looking for suggestions with what to offer him.

I used to use heat pads but he says they dont work!!

Suggestions please
Old 31-03-2010, 09:34 PM
neil andeRSon
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've suffered for yr's now. heat pad's are ok but i've never found them to be all there's cracked up to be. i did get acupunctre done a few yr's back and that made a huge difference!!

note to self go get it done again!!
Old 31-03-2010, 09:43 PM
bamba
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

the only thing that helped me were pain killers called diclofenac from the doctors and rest.i get it at least 3 times a year.apparantly its common with being a mechanic,you put too much strain on your lower back.i was also offered physiotharapy to strenghten my lower back muscles.good luck..
cheers glyn
Old 31-03-2010, 09:44 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

best to go and get it checked out, see if it is muscular or the bones.

If muscular then as said, acupuncture is really good, no pain, quick and easy and instant.

I have had it done a few times, the idea is that you over time knot muscles up and it releases them, follow it up with a good massage to help work them out.

There are also excersise you can do to help stretch the muscles and keep them from knotting up.

Also, molton brown cracked black pepper bath soak is good, use a good bit of it and ot will heat throught the muscles, no matter how cold the house is when you get out of the bath you will be toasty, and the heat stays.

Finally, try not to stress your back, lift properly and change how you do things.

Will be a collection of things but it makes all the difference. Keeping your back warm will also help as cold can tend to stiffen you up from experience meaning you muscles are tensing.
Old 31-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Mrs Jtechsaff
500bhp saff cossie

Thanks for the suggestions so far I do pilates to strengthen the muscles in my back and that seems to be working but I cant imagine James doing that with me lol

I will have to suggest acupuncture.
Old 31-03-2010, 10:19 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

my bro in laws back is completley fooked,worn out from heavy labour and only solution for him is to do pilates every second night to strenghten his core muscles ,and seems to be keeping the pain at bay.
Old 31-03-2010, 10:21 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've had acupunture and worked a treat.
Old 31-03-2010, 10:24 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Yoga, pilates or something similar.
Old 31-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Mrs Jtechsaff
500bhp saff cossie

Do any of you actually go to classes or do you do it at home? I really cant imagine James doing a class as they are mostly women and he would probably fart and put us all off!! lol
Old 31-03-2010, 10:27 PM
CHRISP
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

i've had a one slipped disc and one prolapsed disc around s1 level in my back for a few years now and the only thing that has eased the pain is acupuncture.. i also have narrowing of the spinal column and it tends to trap nerves in my upper right leg, again acupunture, needles from my lower back all the way down the leg and into the ankle.

Last edited by CHRISP; 31-03-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 31-03-2010, 10:36 PM
kidsRS
"Ill check the stock"

He needs to be hung upside down by his feet.
Old 31-03-2010, 10:53 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i get this alot now after a days work an am only 17
Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Mrs Jtechsaff
500bhp saff cossie

I would get it sorted early on
Old 01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Needs to exercise his back and stomach, get a strong stomach and it will help support your back.
Exercises, stretches etc just build up a core strength, sooner he starts sooner the pain may go away, if he leaves it he will be a sore old man.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andy130
i get this alot now after a days work an am only 17
i get it alot from bmx riding and im only 17 as well

good luck to us when were 70
Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

I have 2 prolapsed discs in my lower back (controlling lumber) and use Codeine, diclofenac and diazepam to cure it, but it never solves it completely. Acupuncture worked a dream and really helped but putting my jeans on 2 days ago and I've done it again. Doctor reckons at 25 I'm to young to have surgery.

I would also recommend a full massage!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM
ScORTED
Project Money Pit

I cba with pain killers, I had a compressed disc and trapped sciatic nerve after a bad collision playing american football, had physiotherapy for a few months and that sorted most of my problems. most of the general advice is pretty good, acupuncture sounds good for next time too. Ibuprofen can be good to take the edge off though.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Pain killers are a blag and not really good for you, they do what they say and kill the pain, but the bigger issue is that the problem is still there.
I fucked pain killers off as I wanted to find and resolve my problem, ok so it aint and never will be 100% right but its alot better than tearing it to bits while on painkillers.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as above pain killers just hide the problem, i had accupunture a few years back, you get about 6 sessions on the nhs but have to pay after that, it worked a treat though, i ended up having a load more sessions at around 30quid for 30 mins.

Altough seems to be coming back recently whaichj aint good
Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
ScORTED
Project Money Pit

ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory not a pain killer and it does help with muscular pain
Old 01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its anti-inflammatory AND a pain killer
Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

diclofenic is good just to get the inflamation down but as said not a long term solution, i have back problems and neck problems and having them even now, i took some diclofenic which has eased it but need 2 sort the main problem.

The thing u find is one thing affects another, eg i have weak back muscles which is affecting the joints due to the extra stress on it, i was seeing a chiropractor regularly which was sorting the joint but not strengthening the muscles so wasnt really helping myself.
Need to get ontop of both again or its just gonna carry on, been like it on and off for years now!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Mrs Jtechsaff
500bhp saff cossie

ok, so I have now been shopping and got the following for him to choose from:
Heat patches
Ibuprofen gel
Ibuprofen tablets.

After driving for five hours I think he might need something.

He wont allow me to book him an appointment to get it sorted. Why are blokes so stupid when it comes to Doctors and stuff???
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use tramadol every day and some days use morphine for a week,, my back pain is major but i have a high tollerence to drugs for some reason which means that diazipam ect dont work and tramadol seems to take the edge off,,,, but as said that wont cure the issue,,, just "helps" the pain, tell him to work on a few exercises plus some stomach work too that will help relive the back muscles IF its hes muscles and not hes joints . was told that heat works on muscle pain and cold works on join pain i belive,, though dont quote me as mine is muscle pain hence heat works better than any pain killer
Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Originally Posted by Ginge !
i use tramadol every day and some days use morphine for a week,, my back pain is major but i have a high tollerence to drugs for some reason which means that diazipam ect dont work and tramadol seems to take the edge off,,,, but as said that wont cure the issue,,, just "helps" the pain, tell him to work on a few exercises plus some stomach work too that will help relive the back muscles IF its hes muscles and not hes joints . was told that heat works on muscle pain and cold works on join pain i belive,, though dont quote me as mine is muscle pain hence heat works better than any pain killer

The exercises are always a good idea, even if its join or discs your muscles stiffern to prevent you doing anymore damage. you have to build up the muscles around the area of pain while its low to help protect and provent it from happening again. i use a gym ball and do easy to medium work out to build up the muscle band around the lower park of the body to protect my discs from getting any worse. Ask him to go see a physico and just have an open mind. i was the same 'needles in my back, jog on....' but it really does up and the exercises are a must. Had mine for over 3 years now and its improved 10 fold...
Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell James that if he wants accupuncture i've got a box of 6" nails doing nothing...

On a serious note - if he does find somewhere local (up here!) that does it, i'll go with him because my back is wrecked at the moment too!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not all blokes have a problem getting help with things like that!! I've actually been seeing chiropractors on and off since i was at school!!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get bad back working on cars, my mum is a awsome sports injury/massage therapist and it does me wonders

find yaself a good one not one that just wastes half hour and it will help, worth it