General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Rant time- what is going on in this country??

Search this Thread

Old 17-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Tank Mike
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant time- what is going on in this country??

Firstly, what the fuck is the deal with fuel prices at the moment. £1.26.9 for v power at the moment. And I heard on the radio today they want to up it by 3p and the barrels at an all time low. I use a good 20l a day so that's 400l a month. The constant hike is killing me.

Secondy the barstards bang on about using lower revs to use less fuel to make the plannet greener. Why the fuck do the cone off 3 out of 4 lanes for 4 miles before you see anyone doing any work, if any at all, then 4 miles after. All this causes is a traffic jam where fuels being uselessly burnt! All for something that could of been done with just 1 lane closed.

The way the motorist is treated in this country really pisses me off.

Rant over
Old 17-03-2010, 12:22 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you act surprised?
Old 17-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Tank Mike

I dunno maybe I'm just disapointed in the fact that, GREAT britian is 90% populated with thick idiots, and a group selected from that 90% have been selected to run and maintain our country.
Old 17-03-2010, 12:34 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tank Mike
I dunno maybe I'm just disapointed in the fact that, GREAT britian is 90% populated with thick idiots, and a group selected from that 90% have been selected to run and maintain our country.
Yeah cos dictatorship is a much better choice.
Old 17-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corporate dictatorship already... bastards

Last edited by Ad4m RST; 17-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 17-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

IMHO we are going to continue to experience a correction to our excessively cushy lives which was previously had off the backs of exploiting people in poor countries who are now more empowered and hence less easy to exploit.
So the pound is going to continue to slide against other currencies, particuarly 3rd world ones.
Old 17-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Spot on As soon as there is a window for me to work in the middle east, Im gone. Il be taking IT work with a company house and tax free money please
Old 17-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I hate this country.They have us all by the balls.Most people need there car for work so they need to put fuel in them.Im just sick of paying out all the time.
Old 17-03-2010, 02:04 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

its hideous and it,ll always rise , think we,re due another Blockade , tht was cool ( i was allowed in for fuel) )and helped the rise slowdown iirc. That was at 70-8-pence era, by 2020 it will be £2 per L or more probably. Wankers!!
Old 17-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Chip

A blockade isnt going to help at all in anything other than the very short term, and anyway its illegal now under antiterrorism rules as it effects the operating of the country.

Fuel prices are going to be going up, and we all have to get used to the idea not complain about it TBH.
For a couple of years now I have had a daily driver where all that matters to me is economy, and thats going to be how I continue to be, its not worth paying the premium in fuel consumption to drive a nice car just to sit in traffic.
And for stuff like trackdays, i dont really care if fuel price doubles as its a small part of the cost of the day anyway TBH
Old 17-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Scott-rs2k
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i feel the pain for what its worth right, filled the mondeo up last night from the light just coming on £67 for a full tank .. wtf ! it lasts me a week at best .... like you for work etc £350 a month (depending if your a 4 week / 5 week month)

not alot we can do
Old 17-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I can see you all wanting a poous like mine
Old 17-03-2010, 04:29 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

fucking shit init. that and insurance prices make it well expensive
Old 17-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Its all part of the governments green agenda. They make driving too expensive, so you Have to use public transport. No choices at all.
Old 17-03-2010, 04:46 PM
dom_xr3i
why poke the animal

Originally Posted by DarylC
Its all part of the governments green agenda. They make driving too expensive, so you Have to use public transport. No choices at all.
i need my car cos just 2 get a loaf of bread i have to drive 6 mile round jurney and buses only come couple of times a day its proper fucked up
Old 17-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by opposite lock
by 2020 it will be £2 per L or more probably. Wankers!!
by 2011/2 if the hikes continue as they are, which they will.

Just have to look at the strength of the pound versus other currencies. We're not far off 1:1 with the € !! The next few years would be a really good time to find MASSIVE extractable reserves of oil in the falklands EEZ to help balance things out again.
Originally Posted by Tony Mannock
I can see you all wanting a poous like mine
Sadly you may be right we will all drive shitters/electrics to work and keep the decent cars for fun only.

And public transport wont be improved unless its profitable. Government has no interest in public transport for the masses. In the medium/long term (next 30 years), this government NEEDs the tax revenue from fuel and proportionality it gets much more money from us driving than using public transport. If we all jumped on buses over night, not only would they not have enough buses but once thats sorted, i suspect fuel tax would sky rocket to hit the diesel users to make up for the revenue loss making public transport even more of a rip off than it already is in most areas.
Old 17-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

they wanna get this roads sorted too. Where i live they are shite.
Old 17-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Chip

The roads are fucked nearly everywhere in this country at the moment, this winter seems to have really hammered them.

Fuck knows how the hell they will ever afford to fix them!
Old 17-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Rs(555)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

boils my piss ,talking about fuel prices take ,take ,take ,them fookers are !! trying to make a living now is getting near impossible ,,,, politicians ,all cunts and dont give a shit , banks are cunts , interest rate is .50 or whatever my mortgage isnt at that rate so when rates go up my mortgage goes up but when it comes down ,my mortgage payments dont,,big bonuses for them out of our money to bail em out better stop now going to blow my headgasket v rant over cunts
Old 17-03-2010, 05:50 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My question is: once everyone drives hybrid or electric cars what will the Gevernment TAX to make up for lost revenue?
Old 17-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by FletchCossie
My question is: once everyone drives hybrid or electric cars what will the Gevernment TAX to make up for lost revenue?
They will have to find a way to tax those cars too, hybrids arent a problem as TBH they arent greatly more economical anyway (prius is worse on fuel an an aygo) and still use fuel.

Its pure electric cars that are the problem to the government, a fella i know can do 50 miles on a charge of his golf that costs him less than 50p and contains no fuel tax at all.
Old 17-03-2010, 06:03 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the goverment will tax everything eventually,we all go electric they'll find a way to tax it,be nice if wages went up accordling,im just going to dole it if they carry on,seem better off than me at the minute
Old 17-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Chip

Wages have been artificially high for years IMHO, this is just a correction, cant see why people are so annoyed TBH surely it was always obvious at some point our economy would have to reflect the fact that we produce almost no goods in this country, import everything, have few natural resources etc.

There just simply isnt any good reason for a pound to be worth more than a euro
Old 17-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
The roads are fucked nearly everywhere in this country at the moment, this winter seems to have really hammered them.

Fuck knows how the hell they will ever afford to fix them!
There using the harsh winter as the reason for the roads, when in reality it was just the final straw. There was a guy doing an interveiw on skynews last week, some guy high up in an independant company who survey the condition of the highways and byways. He said he had been investigating the state of the Tarmac on the roads for the last 14 years, and every year there has been a big decline in the state of the roads. Said he has interveiwed highways agency employees all over the country, and for the 14 years consecutive they have told him the same thing, the roads are a mess, getting worse each year, and for each of the 14 years, there hasn't been one where they have had anywhere near the budget to maintain them in an acceptable manner, they either bodge them, or leave them. He said the winter was just the straw that broke the camels back, as it's been inevitable it was going to happen, was just a matter of time. So according to him, it's not the result of a harsh winter, it's the result of 14 years of neglect.
Old 17-03-2010, 07:01 PM
chris m1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

As said the reason that fuel is going mad is down to 3 real reasons..

Firstly the cost of the pound against the doller, we simpley lost the exchange rate bargin

Second is the loss of refinery cappaciticy.. Total europe is set to close is dunkirk refinery and Chveron is set to close its elsmere port site in july meaning that we will simpley have to go further to find are suppliers

Thridly is demeand from the far east.. As with steal, china is now craving a huge 700% increase in oil for development and given the size of the econmy they can simply afford to pay more and like all bussiness the oil suplies are gonna go with the money

The current planned duty increase is set to be susspended in April until such time as the exchange rate lowers
Old 17-03-2010, 07:05 PM
cosevo

agree its all bollocks, i use 60-65 litres every day, over £400 a week in diesel, so any small increase hits me hard, company i work for wont let me charge any more saying they need to save money not spend more.....cnuts
Old 17-03-2010, 07:09 PM
squizxr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Another thing that would save fuel, is chagning the way the traffic lights work!!! Round here they change for no reason, on a 8 mile trip i got stopped at 9 sets of lights, not once did a car come the other way, granted it was 2.30 in the morning, but i was using the main road, surely at night it should work on a trigger system or something, i would have used a lot less fuel had i been allowed to carry on without stopping and starting!!!
Old 18-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Wages have been artificially high for years IMHO, this is just a correction, cant see why people are so annoyed TBH surely it was always obvious at some point our economy would have to reflect the fact that we produce almost no goods in this country, import everything, have few natural resources etc.
So true, what really does Britain offer the world other than riding on false promises based on a reputation based on our former glory over 100 years ago??

Even if the wages are corrected, compared to other people around the world we as employees just dont cut it any more. The working class may not like it but in many manual/unskilled/semi skilled trades brit workers are considered lazy, inefficient and poor quality employees. unfortunately its a small minority that have got us this reputation. The "Chav culture" and its media notoriety doesnt help either.

From a business perspective, why come here when you can get the same job done cheaper, quicker and to a higher standard both all over europe and especially in china if you dont mind the lead times.

2nd world country like romania is where Britain is heading and IMO without a radical change in the countrys method and style of leadership and democracy then nothing will stop it. Cant see anyone having the balls to make the decisions necessary!

They will have to find a way to tax those cars too, hybrids arent a problem as TBH they arent greatly more economical anyway (prius is worse on fuel an an aygo) and still use fuel.
Simple, implement pay per mile taxing once theyve sorted the technology. Or make it so that the electric cars can only be charged from monitored (and hence taxed) electric charging points. Relatively easy to do and with modern online tech they could easily download data from the pick up points direct for taxing as well. Plus relatively easy to make it relatively secure so the car wont charge from a non-authorised charging point.
Old 18-03-2010, 09:36 AM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Originally Posted by Kam B
Spot on As soon as there is a window for me to work in the middle east, Im gone. Il be taking IT work with a company house and tax free money please
For the past 2 years, I am doing what your currently saying above. It isn't all that. I want to come home. Britain is what you make it, fucking off somewhere else won't help it get better. It needs people to stay and fight for what they believe in. I only left because I had a dire need for a job and it was a quick and easy transfer out at the time.

Originally Posted by Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
So true, what really does Britain offer the world other than riding on false promises based on a reputation based on our former glory over 100 years ago??
The high wages, yes I agree with, everything was getting more expensive as wages stayed stagnant. Something had to give, anyone with common sense (not the government then) could see that.

Even if the wages are corrected, compared to other people around the world we as employees just dont cut it any more. The working class may not like it but in many manual/unskilled/semi skilled trades brit workers are considered lazy, inefficient and poor quality employees. unfortunately its a small minority that have got us this reputation. The "Chav culture" and its media notoriety doesnt help either.
That I don't agree with. We live in a country with high living expenses. Now admittedly some of that is due to fuckwits in power making policy decisions which have adversely affected how much we spend. That doesn't make Britain as a nation overpaid and lazy. Being in Qatar for the last two years has shown me some incredibly talented people who work hard and earn every penny. There are plenty of people in the UK like this who you never hear about. The media prefers negative news and rarely reports a feelgood story.

From a business perspective, why come here when you can get the same job done cheaper, quicker and to a higher standard both all over europe and especially in china if you dont mind the lead times.
Apart from the higher standard, I agree with that. Have you seen building quality in China and India. It is epically shite.

2nd world country like romania is where Britain is heading and IMO without a radical change in the countrys method and style of leadership and democracy then nothing will stop it. Cant see anyone having the balls to make the decisions necessary!
Democracy is fine, its the idiots in power who need a good shoeing. The one thing about Britain that does annoy me is that its taken 10 years before people saw that Labour were a bunch of inept morons. Funny how union strikes are all over the place again.

Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Simple, implement pay per mile taxing once theyve sorted the technology. Or make it so that the electric cars can only be charged from monitored (and hence taxed) electric charging points. Relatively easy to do and with modern online tech they could easily download data from the pick up points direct for taxing as well. Plus relatively easy to make it relatively secure so the car wont charge from a non-authorised charging point
You pay tax inadvertently anyway don't you on the electric you need to charge the damn thing. Surely, they will put this up first as an easy counter?
Old 18-03-2010, 10:16 AM
cjwood555

The thing with tax though is that since we've been off the gold standard, we can create as much 'money' as we like. So has anybody actually calculated the impact of just creating the money and paying of the national debts? Would the rise in import costs over the susequent few years due to currency devaluation actually outweigh the potential reduction in taxes for the next 30-50 years?

(And yes, you can just create money. Money has no value and is just representative of price, not value.)

Chris
Old 18-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by collierm
You pay tax inadvertently anyway don't you on the electric you need to charge the damn thing. Surely, they will put this up first as an easy counter?
To make back the same amount of tax per mile as they do now (around 10p a mile on average for a family car) they would need to put a tax of 1000% onto current electric prices for the household in order to recover the same on homecharged electric vehicles.
And that would of course put the average heating bill in this country up by quite a few grand, which isnt realistic.
Old 18-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by cjwood555
The thing with tax though is that since we've been off the gold standard, we can create as much 'money' as we like. So has anybody actually calculated the impact of just creating the money and paying of the national debts? Would the rise in import costs over the susequent few years due to currency devaluation actually outweigh the potential reduction in taxes for the next 30-50 years?

(And yes, you can just create money. Money has no value and is just representative of price, not value.)

Chris
In doing so, they risk angering anyone with savings, as every time they insert more money into the system, they devalue those savings.

As someone with almost no cash savings (my money is in property and shares) it would suit me down to the ground if the pound dropped in value by 90% overnight though as the tenfold increase in my salory (and every other cost in life) would make my mortgage very affordable!
Old 18-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by cjwood555

Chris
Thing is debt is the driving factor because it levers on credit, there's an infinite money supply to be injected as you say because of this Zeitgeist setup, 90% can be fabricated from 10% actual funds. If we cleared national debt on 'fake' money it would be in credit somewhere and we'd have nothing to borrow against...it could never even out.

Let alone the fact we're not far from the Euro, they are going to centralise the banks, even now there is only about 2.5% actual cash in the monetary system, the rest is a self-sufficient digital con trying to get as much currency out of circulation, which at the base level takes it out of our control.
Old 18-03-2010, 11:41 AM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

To make back the same amount of tax per mile as they do now (around 10p a mile on average for a family car) they would need to put a tax of 1000% onto current electric prices for the household in order to recover the same on homecharged electric vehicles.
And that would of course put the average heating bill in this country up by quite a few grand, which isn't realistic.
Fair enough, I probably worded that wrong in that I didn't mean ALL the money would be recouped that way, only some. Even the government isn't that daft (yet).

Isn't there some sort of green tax being bandied about. Some of this would no doubt pay some of the lost money from fuel tax. Watch road tax go through the roof as well based on amp output
Old 18-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by collierm
Fair enough, I probably worded that wrong in that I didn't mean ALL the money would be recouped that way, only some. Even the government isn't that daft (yet).

Isn't there some sort of green tax being bandied about. Some of this would no doubt pay some of the lost money from fuel tax. Watch road tax go through the roof as well based on amp output
There is a showroom tax being applied to uneconomical vehicles as of next month.

500 quid extra tax at the point of sale in the case of something like a Landcruiser V8!