General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Edit.....BMW 320 cd sport, turbo knackered?????? FIXED IT

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2010, 09:35 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Edit.....BMW 320 cd sport, turbo knackered?????? FIXED IT

I cant clear this fault code on a 320 cd sport 53 plate, bought the thing at auction and i think its on limp mode, managed to clear a EGR fault code and oine for 02 emissions, thought it might be cos the battery was flat and had to jump it, There was no oil in it when i checked before starting so i put some in, got it running but it wouldnt rev past 3grand. I have left it at the auction to go back through but would like to fix the problem it said it was a BMW specific code, is that why we couldnt clear it with our diagnostic???

Any help would be appreciated, i've got a lot of money now tied up in a car thats not running right!!!

Last edited by cutch; 07-04-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 16-03-2010, 10:38 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P1253 Pedal Correlation PDS1 and LPDS Low

Is what google comes up with...

So I'd guess a throttle pedal fault - but impossible to say without proper BMW diag kit on the car..
Old 16-03-2010, 10:50 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just checked Autodata and it says "No vehicle specific P1 codes available from manufacturer"
Old 17-03-2010, 08:06 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Throttle pedal, that might explain why it wouldnt rev past 3 grand.

bigern thats what the diagnostic said when we plugged it in to the car too. Well something like it!

Going to give BMW a bell.
Old 17-03-2010, 08:32 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I would spend the cash on a quick test at a dealership mate we charge £45 plus vat just a petty your a little bit far away! We get ppl calling in all the time with fault codes from scanners ect they mean nothing to us. I cant ever mind a 320d not revving past 3k, is the cat broken up & blocked? might cause egr/back pressure faults as well.
Old 17-03-2010, 09:30 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

I pu tthis in the techy help bit and oldford replied with this

P1253 - Boost Pressure Positioner Circuit open.
You can clear the code, but it's back before you had a change to reread the codes.
So, it's a hard fault. Either the "Positioner" or the wiring is disconnected.
I think this means a waste gate valve.

You would be better off reading BMW codes with a factory (or equivalent) tool.
There's not much to find on the internet about the BMW's specific codes.
Use a tool like this: http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

i just talked to douglas park and they said dont have a clue,

carlo i dont really want to take it away from the auciton, i am pretty far away and wouldnt like to drive it to glasgow on limp mode?? Think i am going to bite the bullet and put it back through and take the hit.

There was oil under the plastic top cover but we didnt have any tools and couldnt get it off, bearing in mind there was no oil when we first went to start it, do you think the turbo could be fkd, there wasnt any smoke ou the back but when we were trying to rev it etc and figure out what was going on the interior was full of fumes (like burning oil on exhaust)

any ideas??>?
Old 17-03-2010, 09:45 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

They are notorious for turbo's mate there is a boost pressure sensor & they can go faulty still dosent explain the oil, there are normally a bit of oil in the boost pipes in these cars if you can walk away i would failing that add about a grand onto the price of the car for a turbo for starters!
Old 17-03-2010, 09:50 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

A leaking injector can also make the interior smell as it comes in the vents ! but these cars have oil speperators & they can also block up along with swirl flaps breaking off causing damage , along with turbo's failing it could be a total mine field your getting into! When they are going they are great but not so when they start to fail , if you get them on time its not a big fix but if they over run / or suck them swirl flaps in you have had it. It would still rev past 3k if the boost solenoid valve was fucked just wouldnt boost properly
Old 17-03-2010, 10:12 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Cheers carlo, will just let it run back through the auction then. I had a funny feeling it was going to be a problem when i got it.......you know.....gut feeling, bought loads of cars from auction never any bother...usually, just knew this one was going to be a pain......

cheers mate
Old 17-03-2010, 10:23 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

If you were ever going to buy a 320d i would always want to spend top end money for the right car witht he right history & properly checked. I just bought a 325 ci sport 04 plate 2 month ago couldnt be bothered with the hasles of a 320 d
Old 22-03-2010, 09:20 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

went and picked it up, rev'd it up and the hose on the inlet manifold collapses, and theres oil coming out of it, i removed the hose to get it to give me some more power, got it back to glasgow, think the turbos knackered!
Old 22-03-2010, 10:45 PM
steveo135
PassionFord Regular

Default turbo

i helped my pal last month with a diesel 3 series same problems you appear to be having, changed the turbo like brand new again, just smoked a little whilst burning the oil in exhaust.
hope this helps

steve
Old 22-03-2010, 11:01 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

how much it cost for a new one and where did you get it?
Old 22-03-2010, 11:02 PM
steveo135
PassionFord Regular

Default turbo

ill find out off him tomorrow, im sure it were a recon unit, but illfind out for sure.

thanks
Old 22-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Livingston SMA? Been in there for months.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:50 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

The 320d's fuck turbos because the oil breathers become blocked and excessive crank case pressure occours. Change the breather for a new "vortex" item.

Also, while your at it, remove the swirl flaps in the inlet and replace them with alloy blanks, these ae another 320/330d favourate and break up sending a flap/screw combination through the engine! Only £24 to replace as a preventive measure. Think the breathers are £18.

Can't help with the fault code/not revving though, but get those two issues sorted
Old 23-03-2010, 07:02 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Originally Posted by Ollie.
Livingston SMA? Been in there for months.

where were you last monday!
Old 23-03-2010, 08:56 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

pull the boost hose off the turbo and feel for play...

any in and out = dead turbo
Old 23-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by cutch
where were you last monday!

Sorry mate i was there last monday as well. It was already in from the trade cos it was fucked. Why didnt you inspect it properly before buying? I say this time and time again but its why public shouldnt buy cars from auction. Your best bet apart from shelling out to fix it properly would bne moving it to another auction.

Last edited by Ollie.; 23-03-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

ach no matter, bought loads of stuff from auction before first one thats bit me! The only difference from the hundreds of times i have bought before was i had the missus with me! Went over the budget we took and everything, she is now banned from coming with me again......

Right i took off the inlet manifold last night and #3 swirl flaps not there! From the looks of it someone has had it off before and found it broken and put it back together.

there isnt any chance that its sitting down inside the head is there? I put my fingers down the inlet port to feel but cant feel anything.

So i presume that the swirl flaps broken the wee screw has gone through, fkd the turbo and someones started stripping to have a look then thought "i aint fixing that".

So on the look out for a cheap turbo and have phoned BMW for all the gaskeets bolts nuts etc. I asked them for a new vortex style breather and he wasnt sure which one it was, can someone tell me which one or ones i need so i can tell him, also asked for new swirl flap blanks and will do them while its apart.

Any thoughts guys??
Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Its fucked mate. I know the boy that had it in there. He owns 6 garages in edinburgh and had his mechanics look at it for ages as far as i was aware. NEVER buy cars from the auction if they're in from the trade.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Its cool mate, just had thebigyin round, the guys a true gent and he's found the problems, going to double check tomorrow but it looks like its not that bad. We knew someone had been messing around with it cos theres nuts washers etc missing from where they took stuff off,
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Ideal man. What do you think it needs? You'd be better off removing all the swirl flaps. Its easy to do. Nice car otherwise. Some stole the gear know as well eh...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

yeah replaced the gear knob already, just needs a new turbo by the look s of it, taking it off tomorrow and checking to see if we can get away with just fitting a new rebuild kit to it, new gaskets etc. The #3 swirl flap has broken off at some point and the wee screws gone right through and fkd it. The bigyin ran a diagnostic on it but most of the stuff that came up is cos the turbos goosed.

will have more news tomorrow but looks like i will have it on the road in a few days.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by cutch
yeah replaced the gear knob already, just needs a new turbo by the look s of it, taking it off tomorrow and checking to see if we can get away with just fitting a new rebuild kit to it, new gaskets etc. The #3 swirl flap has broken off at some point and the wee screws gone right through and fkd it. The bigyin ran a diagnostic on it but most of the stuff that came up is cos the turbos goosed.

will have more news tomorrow but looks like i will have it on the road in a few days.

How can the wee screw go through the turbo? Hope thats all it is mate. Nice car for the money if it is.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

looks like you might have had a lucky escape.

Never buy a car at auction from the trade, will always have issues.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

looks like whoever had this before was a cowboy! just took the turbo off and its totally fkd, the electornic actuator??? is missing! why would you go to all the bother of taking everything off and not replace it! heres some pics....

Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
steves24V's
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch thats fucked we've done one of these at work, looked the same as that there is also a breather that has now been modified that goes on the top of the rocker cover you MUST change this for the newer one or it will put oil into the in let, you'll want to take your cat off and steam clean that out too and the intercooler.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:01 PM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

Fucked
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a bit broke
Old 03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Cutch how could the wee screw go in the turbo? I thought it wouldve gone straight into the engine?

The boy paid pennies for it as a trade in and made money selling it still sorry mate but you should never buy trade cars in an auction.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Already done the new breather and BMW told me to put a new oil feed pipe onto the turbo, done that too, i have taken off the intercooler and the pipes, mates taking them to work to clean them out, trying to get the correct turbo but everywheres shut cos of easter weekend!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:43 PM
thebigyin
BANNED
BANNED

Cutch how could the wee screw go in the turbo? I thought it wouldve gone straight into the engine?

The boy paid pennies for it as a trade in and made money selling it still sorry mate but you should never buy trade cars in an auction.

cutch was just assuming something like that may have happened, thats all, no one is saying it did or didnt, the fact remains though that the turbo is gubbed and various macomics have had there hands on this and been unable to get to the bottom of what is a well known failure on this model.

Last edited by thebigyin; 03-04-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

if your lucky the wee screw goes right through the engine and doesnt damage it but will fk the turbo, as it has done here, dont know what your mate has done to it but its an easy fix, done most of it already, they must have had most of it apart in the first place, why didnt they just stick a turbo on it???? my missus has just looked at it and said "it looks a bit mushed up" surely the mechs would have figured it out...i wouldnt mind knowing why they took the actuator off??

As i said before bought loads at auction before and never had any bother, i can fix this for 350 quid and still spin it and make money off it, dont know how your pal didnt manage it.

the cats fine, theres no oil or shite in there, only oil in the intercooler side and thats getting cleaned, cant wait to get it back together and go for a spin!

thanks to all the guys that put some input in, cant thank thebigyin and carlo enough, true gents,
Old 03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Cutch hes not a mate. I only know him through going to livi auction for years. The guy sells over a 100 cars a month so one fucked bmw trade in isnt worth bothering about id imagine. Lucky escape the wee screw didnt go into the engine though. Defo get onto PMW and buy the blanks since you've go tthe engine stripped.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 PM
thebigyin
BANNED
BANNED

made many pounds over the years buying at trade auctions, yes there are lots of junk and problem cars but thats where experience comes in to play.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:20 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

yeah thats usually what happens with the big boys, my mates the same puts undreds through auctions every year and said the same, well overall pretty pleased.

already ordered the blanks, should hopefully be here on monday-tuesday, along with the turbo.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

ops even bmw's go wrong.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
thebigyin
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
ops even bmw's go wrong.

with insight like that you must be a hell of a guy to have aroundwhere were you when the fault was being discussed? could of saved me a trip
Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Bad news mate.

Another victim of swirl flap failure!

I deflapped mine the other day, replaced the breather and cleaned the EGR valve too, took about 3 hours.

PWM are quite expensive for the blanks, they are available on ebay for £6/ea posted (including new seals).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Swirl-Flap...item3a59315094

Quick Reply: Edit.....BMW 320 cd sport, turbo knackered?????? FIXED IT