General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any Part P Electricians in the house?

Search this Thread

Old 23-02-2010, 08:58 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Shings
What I will do is get one of the guys at work to come and give me a hand to make sure its all nice and safe and find a part p tester to sign it off.

It is funny though I have been advised before that I may have trouble getting a simple Part P sign off as generally the tester will come and want things changing and want to do it them selves to charge more - which is the way it was explained to me- IE make faults up by praying on the un suspecting general public who's scared of electrics to get more than a simple test.

I must say though - thank you for all your help and advice chaps.
having been in a similar position, i would advise you to rethink your position and do as advised and get an electrician in to do the lot from the beginning.

that doesn't stop you doing all the channelling, box cutting etc yourself which is where a lot of the time may be spent and where you can make a saving.

it's very frustrating when you know that you are competent but don't have the necessary paperwork. in my job, i work with de-sulphurised natural gas (no smell), methane and hydrogen in gas boilers and fuel cells, yet i'm legally not allowed to work on the gas circuit in my own house
Old 23-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

With his qualifaications bet he makes a nice job of the bondo
Old 23-02-2010, 09:14 PM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cragrat

Got the book out yet?
No I don’t work that stuff out but from experience it no it wouldn’t in a domestic consumer you only use type b due to the protection they offer isnt a 7ka fault reading a little high?

I still stand by my statement you it’s a book learnt trade you learn the equations from a book sorry if it offends you but thats how i feel now having one hands on trade and one that i think was half and half (mechanics) sorry if it offends you but thats how i feel

i just want to make it clear im not rewireing people houses for them ect lol ive extended ring and made single spurs in my own house and changed socket faces, lights,ect and wouldnt touch something if i was unsure i would call a friend

tbh i think i was a little harsh on you sparks but i have seem to have met some of the worse

dont get me wrong im not against earning money im a plasterer lol
Old 23-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
having been in a similar position, i would advise you to rethink your position and do as advised and get an electrician in to do the lot from the beginning.

that doesn't stop you doing all the channelling, box cutting etc yourself which is where a lot of the time may be spent and where you can make a saving.

it's very frustrating when you know that you are competent but don't have the necessary paperwork. in my job, i work with de-sulphurised natural gas (no smell), methane and hydrogen in gas boilers and fuel cells, yet i'm legally not allowed to work on the gas circuit in my own house

To be honest I probably will do that - but its finding someone with part p to advise me first- hence the post, which has started a bitching contest between some trades people.

I do see it all day long as well and the cutting of wires by the plasterers - happens all the time.

Amusingly I could just use all the old black and red and watch someone prove it wasn't like it when I got the house.
Old 23-02-2010, 09:29 PM
ben_frst

Originally Posted by rstdave
Might have known what your trade was gonna be lol, pity you didn't follow in your old mans footsteps by sound of it instead of spending all those years training to be a plasterer
like most ppl i didnt know what i wanted to do when i i left school i like cars so did mechanics i in no way regret it as i also learnt to weld ect

before i finished my course i decided it wasnt for me but still finished the course

now im happy plastering it gives me flexablity, a good wage ect

and withing the next 5 years i'll probably change again as were planning on emergrating and the mexicans do all the plastering in southern california so will be looking for a desk based job i guess (planning, management, ect)

so in a way im following my old man as hes been there 8 years already
Old 23-02-2010, 09:31 PM
ben_frst

Amusingly I could just use all the old black and red and watch someone prove it wasn't like it when I got the house.

great idea i know someone whos done this lol
Old 23-02-2010, 09:56 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

At what point would anyone make the effort to check it?

are you thinking of selling it soon? even still would they bother in all honousty?
I do have a story about it all, but I wont go into it at this point.
Old 23-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by markk

are you thinking of selling it soon? even still would they bother in all honousty?

To be honest Mark I was going to go into that.

Its sort of the point.... I remember when I brought the house the form re part p has one question.

Has the house had any electrical work that requires a part p certificate?

Answer
YES - Please give details
NO
DONT KNOW

Its just another piece of paper for the buyer to 'look' at.
Old 24-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by markk

Its sort of the point.... I remember when I brought the house the form re part p has one question.

Answer
NO
DONT KNOW

you are right who will ask,its this sort of situation i was referring to when i stated no-one polices part-p until it is nobody will take it seriously as only a few people have been prosecuted

but they (house buyer,surveyor,solicitor) may ask if its evident you have a modern kitchen and want to know about its electrics..!!

all i and most others are saying on here is do it right for your own peace of mind end of the day it wont make any difference to me its not my house

i remember last year when corghi changed to gas safe there was a massive media promotion on tv,in the papers and magazines,what did i see regards part-p ? an A5 ad in the daily mail my father-in-law showed to me what a joke to say it is probably the biggest thing to effect the electrical industry for many years
Old 24-02-2010, 12:35 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Answer
NO
DONT KNOW

Exactly - I have just done a full renovation, bought one and sold one, not once did I have to provide any evidence of part P, just say dont know!

Originally Posted by Cragrat
you are right who will ask,its this sort of situation i was referring to when i stated no-one polices part-p until it is nobody will take it seriously as only a few people have been prosecuted

but they (house buyer,surveyor,solicitor) may ask if its evident you have a modern kitchen and want to know about its electrics..!!

all i and most others are saying on here is do it right for your own peace of mind end of the day it wont make any difference to me its not my house

i remember last year when corghi changed to gas safe there was a massive media promotion on tv,in the papers and magazines,what did i see regards part-p ? an A5 ad in the daily mail my father-in-law showed to me what a joke to say it is probably the biggest thing to effect the electrical industry for many years

I would say, if your profficiant, and competant then just do it.
Old 24-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Exactly...

The only reason I want it done properly and at minimum expense is because I might rent the house to a council tennant ( my sister ) and they will require it testing from what I have been told.

Ahh well.. on wards.

Thanks guys.
Old 24-02-2010, 07:15 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Exactly...

The only reason I want it done properly and at minimum expense is because I might rent the house to a council tennant ( my sister ) and they will require it testing from what I have been told.

Ahh well.. on wards.

Thanks guys.
I have let out to close friends paid by the council in the past and had no issues at all.