General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Speed sensors for gearboxes, Type 9 in particular

Search this Thread

Old 18-02-2010, 05:08 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Speed sensors for gearboxes, Type 9 in particular

A friend of mine is building a kit car which has to use a zetec and a type 9 box as its rwd.

The type 9 he has is mechanical speedo which as far as I was aware was all that was ever used but looking at another they had in at work today we noticed that one had a oe looking unit in the place the mechanical reading is taken from.

Were there 2 types of type 9 ? or is it a seperate sender you can buy ? if so where from ?

The other issue as I wasn't aware how strict they are on a SVA is how would you get around calibrating the speedo if for example you used a oe sender but the car was running far from standard size wheels ?

I can't say I have even seen a aftermarket sender that is adjustable so how do you get round that ?

The old Stack dash I used was programmable but his isn't anything that expensive so we expect its fixed ?

Any info would be good as the car needs to be perfect !

PS Its a wedding car not a track based car or anything so not something they want to start fitting wheel speed sensors to with posh dash displays
Old 18-02-2010, 07:13 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Burtons do the electronic speedo drive for the type 9, as I looked into modding one for a T5, around £40 from memory.
If used with aftermarket speedo it will be adjustable(no of pulses), seems the easiest way.
tabetha