General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

any shed experts , joiners ????

Search this Thread

Old 27-01-2010, 04:50 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default any shed experts , joiners ????

ok folks ,

been working on the idea of building a workshop / big shed lol in me back gardern , anyway long story short i may have the base sorted ,

now the advice ive been give is basically , i can build a good size shed in me back ,as long as its portable /removeable ,

is there a reg on a minimum distance away from the house id this is the case ?

also is there any websites out there that could make me plans for a timber built flat roofed shed around the size of 21x23x9ft ??

for free prefrably ,

so i had an idea of meterage of materials ect ,

anyones opinions own advice ect would be appriceated ,

beef
Old 27-01-2010, 05:05 PM
The Joker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt think there was those sort of regs in place at it would only be classed as a temp structure(timber). I think as long as it doesnt block view for next doors light it shouldnt be a problem. Run through your plans with you folk next doors.
What you got in mind for your roof ? Timber beamed with poly carb sheets is what i done. Lets a fair bit of light in of the day time and helped me make smaller more secure windows for it.
Old 27-01-2010, 05:12 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

yeah , the neighbours are cushty mate , ive one got one being semi detached but they dont have an issue , currently have a 8 ish ft hedge that ive said im willing to chop out and replace with fence panels ,

it wount have any windows, and for the roof i was thinking wbp and a wether proof membrane or roofing felt something good quality not the tat for rabbit hutches lol ,

security is paramount , and it may end up housing my car or other projects such os bikes ect ,

im just thinking regards what id need for a 23ft span timber wise ,

i was also looking at the sectional garage route with a timber roof ??

opinions , ideas

beef
Old 27-01-2010, 05:25 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

it needs to be a 'non perminant' structure or you need planning permission i beleive, so a timber structure is the way to get around this
Old 27-01-2010, 05:35 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

hence why im building a big shed .

not a garage lol

beef
Old 27-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I'm building a shed as well, going to be 10ft by 20ft but still haven't sorted out plans, and I keep fookin' up my drawings so as Beefy said, anyone know of a cheap/free site that can do them for me and then I can work out what timber I need !
Old 27-01-2010, 06:34 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

http://www.waltons.co.uk/workshops-a...ages/workshops

Nice big wooden workshops!
Old 27-01-2010, 06:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if it's "temporary" then make the shape out of scafolding poles
you can then put a bit of a pitch on the top and basicly board it up with some studwork inbetween the poles to stop the draft coming in

only real consideration though is to make sure it's securely fastened to the ground as you don't want it to lift off with a sudden gust of wind do you
Old 27-01-2010, 07:40 PM
The Joker

Just been doing a bit of googling and i think for the size your looking plans as such are gonna be a bugger to find. It might just come down to a bit of good old fashioned brain power lol. Ive found a few for your standard 10x12, 8x10 but there a bit standard and dont give much help (your basic budget studs & feather edge).
I think its all dependant on your budget really. I went for

Timber studwork 75mm x 50mm with 150mm feather edge outside.
studs every 600mm with plyboard internal.
poly carb roof panels pitched at 10.
front upvc french doors at front.
side upvc window x 2.
bit of trim/cladding and guttering later job was mint.
I loosely based it on plans from when i was at college and a LOT of materials from work. Mine was more a workshop for diy rather than a garage but it turned out to be a decent size. Shame i bloody moved a year after i done it.

Last edited by The Joker; 27-01-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 27-01-2010, 10:28 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

yeah , i mean realistically its just a case of framing out a 23ftx9ft wall , plying it standing it up and the same again for the other 3 walls ,

that i can manage , just unsure what thickness trusses id need for a 2odd ft span ??

beef
Old 27-01-2010, 10:53 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is your base/floor raised? as this can then be like your damp course to help keep dam out, use a damp proof membrane then if you want a nice solid structure to hang stuff on walls etc id use minimum of 4x2 studwork i'd personally go 5x2 if using 600 centres then in regards to your rafters thats over a 7m span so either shop around to get joists that long as get expensive and would want big joists as will bow or fit timber lintal (3 joists bolted together in a zig zag form at every 600mm with dog washers) or drop to around 18ft which is about 5.4 m which are easily available. roofs best joisting at 400mm centres as 600 bounces and requires loads more noggings and will prob end up with puddles on the roof then get firring ripped up from 8" down to 2" to give a nice fall, ply and 3 layer felt will give you around 30 years protection
Old 27-01-2010, 10:56 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a pic of my roof i done in summer
Old 27-01-2010, 11:15 PM
PAUL V
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a look here mate, the sticky part is you have to be 2 meters away from the boundry
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...noutbuildings/

Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
  • No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
  • Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
  • No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
  • On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.
Old 27-01-2010, 11:20 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you can get away witha lot aslong dont have concrete floor i put 50b20 horse stables up in our lasses field didnt need planing as it not perminant
Old 27-01-2010, 11:49 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

the floors getting done as the soils usless, the shed would have the perimiter fence between it and the boundery only ,

i did consider putting up a slightly taller fence to hide it

maybe my best case is to just pop into the local council and see what there take on it is ,

beef
Old 28-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Paul Serious One
BANNED
BANNED

beef i built mine on my tod

3x2 framed with 10mm tounge and grove
8x2 roof joists
8x4x18mm roof sheets
3 layer tourch on felt (flat roof )
concrete base
concrete drive
fence
locks
fuse board lights sockets
alarm
cctv
paint

all in for Ł2.5k matrials i done it all so no labour

size is 22ft x 16ft x 6.6" high

pics if need

nice build painted inside and out

paul
Old 28-01-2010, 05:53 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In a similar situation but something a little smaller, I would like to build one about 12ft x 8ft, not as a car workshop, purely as a summer house / shed type thing. What sort of base would be best, would it be concrete then build on top of would I sink the uprights into the concrete so it sets? (early days yet, havent looked too much into it).

Cheers
Chris
Old 28-01-2010, 07:40 AM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cfoster
In a similar situation but something a little smaller, I would like to build one about 12ft x 8ft, not as a car workshop, purely as a summer house / shed type thing. What sort of base would be best, would it be concrete then build on top of would I sink the uprights into the concrete so it sets? (early days yet, havent looked too much into it).

Cheers
Chris
if you're not bothered about regs etc just put a concrete base around, one course of blocks on edge, damp membrane then build studwork off that
Old 28-01-2010, 10:08 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if thats a wise idea in case I decide to move and it gets noted by the surveyor.

I want to build something like this but 8foot deep rather than 12ft!