General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Claiming - Potholes (Now With Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 19-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Claiming - Potholes (Now With Pics)

Am I waisting my time, or is it worth persuing ?. Just hit the biggest pothole I've ever seen, unavoidable as car was coming the other way, so was either hit the car, or the pothole. Had front and rear wheels on a balancing machine, both are proper fucked, and over 70 the car starts to shake badly. Wouldn't mind, the guilty pothole is directly outside the council offices.

Last edited by Fiddy; 20-01-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 19-01-2010, 06:17 PM
squizxr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were talking about this on the radio the other day, a fella in a BM done 5k worth of damage, and his council payed out, even payed for a curtesy car while the work was done!!
Old 19-01-2010, 06:24 PM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First step is to get pics IIRC before they fill it in and use something to give an idea of the size and depth!! Can't help with the rest though but would think its well worth it.
Roads are terrible round here, all the patches they have done have just crumbled away, they weren't great to start with but the weather has made it worse. Hardly surprising when you see the contractors idea of how it should be done!
Old 19-01-2010, 06:25 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

yes i would . i would take pics of the area and also of the damaged rims
then pursue

i can see alot of people doing this as the roads everywhere are scunted
Old 19-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Cheers gents, I'll go take a few pics in the morning, I kid you not when I say it's huge, 40mph road aswell. Thankfully it's just the wheels, checked everything else and it's fine, drives straight aswell, but as I said, upwards of 60 it gets pretty bad
Old 19-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

or the buckled mate. There the worst ive ever seen. Fookin shit roads in this shit country. What the fook do we pay road tax for.
Old 19-01-2010, 06:38 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

use a newspaper to confirm the date of the incident as well as the size
call the ocuncil and ask for their insurance department
tell them where the pothole is
they will either send you a form to fill in or will ask you to wait until they figure out who was responsible for the hole
it may be a thrid party contractor and then you ahve to claim off of them
just phone every day and speak to the same person, they soon get pissed off, the head of refuse gave me his own pesonal company mobile number in case there was a problem with the collections in the future, after about 7 weeks someone else now answers the phone

Trending Topics

Old 19-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
or the buckled mate. There the worst ive ever seen. Fookin shit roads in this shit country. What the fook do we pay road tax for.

all that salt had to be paid for somehow glenn

as for who contact about this try dojj bud he did quite a comprehensive list in a recent post look through his last few (hundred ) it will be there
Old 19-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

bugger too slow !!!
Old 19-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

salt what salt lol dojj is the man to see. Fiddy i would give it a try. The car drove spot on without any wobble. So it must of been that pot hole.
Old 19-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

tell ya what am keeping an eagle eye out for when they refill the salt bins and i`m stocking up as soon as
Old 19-01-2010, 07:16 PM
danb21t
PassionFord Regular

http://www.potholes.co.uk/claims/how_to_claim

All the information you could need.

Badger then, then badger them, and then for good measure badger them somemore
Old 19-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
or there buckled mate

When you put them on the balancer mate, i expected them to be buckled, but there fucked all the way up, they couldnt be anymore buckled i dont think. like you said, you had never seen as buckled as the front one, till you checked the back one
Old 19-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's worth a try but I got nothing, though they did come out and fix the hole.

The rule seems to be that if someone REPORTS the hole and the council do nothing they become liable for any subsequent damage cause, but if no-one has reported it they aren't negligent so don't have to pay, just fix the road.
Old 19-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
It's worth a try but I got nothing, though they did come out and fix the hole.

The rule seems to be that if someone REPORTS the hole and the council do nothing they become liable for any subsequent damage cause, but if no-one has reported it they aren't negligent so don't have to pay, just fix the road.
Sounds about rite. but, how would i go about proving someone had reported it, there not going to admit someone has if its going to cost them money.
Old 19-01-2010, 08:06 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiddy
Sounds about rite. but, how would i go about proving someone had reported it, there not going to admit someone has if its going to cost them money.

What your meant to do is report the hole and they have so much time to come and fix it, i think one or two weeks? if its not done by then ring again and tell them you damaged your car on it, then they have to pay because it was reported, and you'll know for a fact its been reported because it was you that did it

But as above you will need pics of the damage, pics showing the car next to the hole, the hole itself and put something inside it to show how big/deep it is

Last edited by BM08; 19-01-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 19-01-2010, 08:09 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

m65 near blackburn is full of potholes since the snow its a joke
Old 19-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Or you could lodge a Freedom of Information request to see if and when the hole had been reported and when the repairs were actually completed.
Old 19-01-2010, 08:24 PM
BlairM
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Iain is right - last January I hit a 5" deep pothole. I reported the hole to the council, went out the next morning and took pics. They sent me a claim form, drew all sort of diagrams on it of road layout, basically at the end they said they had complied with the legislation they are forced to follow - it was something like once every month they had to visually inspect the roads. You have to believe the council guys that inspected it actually checked it.

I think maybe one place I went wrong was I went and got a new wheel and it changed the next day - I think they prefer if you have a report from the garage to say it's done damage.

So that was Ł140 down for a new wheel and changing of tyre, luckily the hole didn't fuck the tyre too.

Last edited by BlairM; 19-01-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 19-01-2010, 08:43 PM
darrenr1969
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear the wheels are fooked already Fiddy
I must have passed on the( dreaded curse of the buckled wheel) to you..

Just kiddin, what a total pisser !
Old 19-01-2010, 08:54 PM
.Ross.

Watched that Vroom Vroom shite and they did a little piece about Pot holes ..

If they are 70mm or deaper you have a case. Take a pic with a ruler in it and a slide for depth ... Newspaper in the picture is a good idea.
Old 19-01-2010, 09:05 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

I posted about this a couple of days ago.
I took a trip to my local council office and apparently due to the high influx of complaints and claims every case is being checked thoroughly to ensure there are no false claims being made . This means instead of taking the average 6 weeks they might take 5 months to sort a claim

I cant be arsed with all the fucking about , i have ordered a new rim to replaced the dented one .
Old 19-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

How about accepting that shit happens when we have had the worst snow in 30 years which has caused loads of potholes in the roads, and existing small ones to get worse and the council have been so busy trying to keep the roads clear so you can actually use them to get to and from where you need to be? Or is there only me that thinks normal? Dont your own insurance pay out for this?
Old 19-01-2010, 09:21 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

FIDDY THIS ONES FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUPp...eature=related

Old 19-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
How about accepting that shit happens when we have had the worst snow in 30 years which has caused loads of potholes in the roads, and existing small ones to get worse and the council have been so busy trying to keep the roads clear so you can actually use them to get to and from where you need to be? Or is there only me that thinks normal? Dont your own insurance pay out for this?
Well how about I don't pay my road tax as the roads are not fit to driven on ?

On the town where I live there must be atleast 25 BIG potholes, and I would lose count of the small ones

and as far as insurance, I had to claim just before Christmas when some theiving cunt pinched my alloys. So I WONT be claiming again.
Old 19-01-2010, 10:10 PM
stigger_darlo
Regular Contributor

fiddy have you been past the burtree pub back towards heighington way. if ya havent and you do go that way stay in the outside lane. holes are fookin huge on the inside
Old 19-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Well how about I don't pay my road tax as the roads are not fit to driven on ?

On the town where I live there must be atleast 25 BIG potholes, and I would lose count of the small ones

and as far as insurance, I had to claim just before Christmas when some theiving cunt pinched my alloys. So I WONT be claiming again.
Dont pay it then......

Some folk make me laugh. Road tax goes up 5 quid and theres hell on, yet they want all roads to be resurfaced every year, new roads to bypass vilages and towns, and all these roads 100% clear of snow and Ice!
Old 19-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Dont pay it then......

Some folk make me laugh. Road tax goes up 5 quid and theres hell on, yet they want all roads to be resurfaced every year, new roads to bypass vilages and towns, and all these roads 100% clear of snow and Ice!
I think your missing the point. the road tax goes up, but the roads get worse. i dont know how good the roads are where you are obviously, maybe there perfect ?. but where i live, the roads are atrocious, have been on a decline for the last 10 years, and getting worse by the month. i can appreciate your point about the snow. i was listening to local radio last week, and they had a guy on from the highways agency, who said in the north east since christmas they have filled in 1000 pot holes, when usually they only do 2000 in a full year, so i can see there doing there best and overworked at the minute, BUT, if they hadnt let the state of the roads get into such of state of disrepair in the first place, maybe they would have coped better with the snow. That is why people winge about road tax, it goes up, the roads get worse, if they were driving on perfect roads, they wouldnt have anything to complain about, as there would be evidence of why tax was increasing, and you could see where the money was going.
Old 20-01-2010, 09:02 AM
cossiejay

if the roads had been maintained properly in the first place there would not have been potholes
Old 20-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossiejay
if the roads had been maintained properly in the first place there would not have been potholes
Not actually correct. The water penetrates the gaps between the stones at the surface and freezes. the ice then needs more space than the water did so it expands and pops a stone out. More water slides in, freezes and the process repeats until you have a pothole.

And if we didn't have those gaps, driving on ice would be a piece of piss!

As for Road Tax, we may call it that but it is actually Vehicle Excise Duty - ie a tax on ownership of the car, not a tax for the use of the road.

Most roads are maintained by Councils out of Council Tax so anyone who doesn't pay that, either can't pay, won't pay, or doesn't need to pay, effectively gets their local roads for free and shouldn't complain about whatever state they get into.

Trunk roads and motorways are part-funded by central government, but VED is not ring-fenced for use on roads or transport.

Last edited by Iain Mac; 20-01-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 20-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

done my car in the other day on some didnt see them as i pulled over to let a car go past

what would happen if i claim on my own insurance? would it be suspension damage??
Old 20-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can you claim off asda if you hit a curb in the car park
Old 20-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Ed_van_dijk
Can you claim off asda if you hit a curb in the car park
I wouldnt have thought so, YOU would be liable for hitting the kirb as the kirb is a permanant fixture that was already there
Old 20-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I wouldnt have thought so, YOU would be liable for hitting the kirb as the kirb is a permanant fixture that was already there
No, you dont understand, the snow must of put it there
Old 20-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Pics Of The Pothole

Old 20-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Shame the police car didnt get a blow out, then somthing would have got done!

Its pretty nasty, did you measure how deep it was?

My mate had a 306, lowered was goin down the road and hit a pot hole, done his sump in aswell as the tyre and the wheel, he got paid out!
Old 20-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

jesus they are deep
i went and got pic of were i hit was a pain trying to get pic because nowhere to leave the car,
i spoke to my insurace and not helpful at all, mine is going to the garage in a bit see how bad the damage is
Old 20-01-2010, 02:27 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

so you were stood in the middle of the road taking pictures of a police car and they didnt stop?
Old 20-01-2010, 03:10 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

have you got the claim form yet fiddy?
ge tthem pics attached to it and i'm pretty certain that someone will get the blaim for the hole, mainly because it looks like it's a repair to the road whre it's been reseurfaced so you need to see who did it
the council "should" help you by telling you but they mght not because they tend to be cunts
Old 20-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by stigger_darlo
fiddy have you been past the burtree pub back towards heighington way. if ya havent and you do go that way stay in the outside lane. holes are fookin huge on the inside
I know which ones you mean fella. I travel down that road about 3 or 4 times a day on road test. They have been filled in but its still shit. It needs re doing if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Claiming - Potholes (Now With Pics)