General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Claiming - Potholes (Now With Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 20-01-2010, 03:25 PM
danb21t
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woo that looks like a good'en

pot holes always come after snow/ice, and ALWAYS at the seams of repair patches. Stupid b*stards should either get all the cabling/pipe work done in the first place then we wouldnt be in this mess or resurface the whole road.
Old 20-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by stigger_darlo
fiddy have you been past the burtree pub back towards heighington way. if ya havent and you do go that way stay in the outside lane. holes are fookin huge on the inside
I know which ones you mean. I travel down that road a few times everyday. That part of the road needs redoing.
Old 20-01-2010, 03:33 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

jesus that a fair sized pothole!

hope you get sorted m8

steve
Old 20-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
have you got the claim form yet fiddy?
ge tthem pics attached to it and i'm pretty certain that someone will get the blaim for the hole, mainly because it looks like it's a repair to the road whre it's been reseurfaced so you need to see who did it
the council "should" help you by telling you but they mght not because they tend to be cunts
Havnt got a form yet dojj, spoke to loads of different people today. Eventually got through to the guy who deals with public liabilty insurance. He said send him an email explaing, where, how and when it happened, attach pics to the email, and say how much I'm looking for. So did all that, then an hour later, he phones me and says, I've been and had it look, it is a very bad one, but unfortunatly that bit of road is right on the border of the town, were not responsible for it, so you will have to take it up with darlington council. So now I've got to go through the thing again lol, talk about passing the book.
Old 20-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by the youth
jesus that a fair sized pothole!

hope you get sorted m8

steve
Cheers ste, I won't be holding my breath though mate. It's a good 5 inch at the deepest part, it's one of the deepest I've seen, I'm very surprised it's only buckled the wheels and not damaged anything else. Wheels have held up pretty well tbh, few marks on them, but there not cracked, but there far from round anymore. I nearly shit when I hit it, proper big bang, back wheel went straight into it aswel. Glenns face was a picture when we put them on the balancing machine, he looked shocked to say the least lol
Old 20-01-2010, 03:56 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

fuck me i wouldnt like to twat that in my standard golf with massive tyres nevermind my cossy with tiny tyres and fuck all suspension,hope you get paid out dude.
Old 20-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Use a ruler in the picture for a bit of scale.. Try and get an angle so you can see how deep the hole is!
Old 20-01-2010, 04:32 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiddy
Havnt got a form yet dojj, spoke to loads of different people today. Eventually got through to the guy who deals with public liabilty insurance. He said send him an email explaing, where, how and when it happened, attach pics to the email, and say how much I'm looking for. So did all that, then an hour later, he phones me and says, I've been and had it look, it is a very bad one, but unfortunatly that bit of road is right on the border of the town, were not responsible for it, so you will have to take it up with darlington council. So now I've got to go through the thing again lol, talk about passing the book.
at least you now know who to pester

just keep pestering, and if you need some help, i'm sure i could pester for you as well
Old 20-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Typical councils doing the job cheap rather than right (although I shouldn't say that). My lot seem to have this fascination with surface dressing. They did my mums road just before Christmas and it's filled from end to end with holes where the new surface has lifted and broken up. They use it because it's cheap but it's so fucking shit!
Old 20-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by kosman
fuck me i wouldnt like to twat that in my standard golf with massive tyres nevermind my cossy with tiny tyres and fuck all suspension,hope you get paid out dude.
Mate mines got standard suspension, and it was bad, having 40 profile tyres probs didn't help like, but i think even with 55 profile it still would have done damage. I thought with me being stood there with a camera for 10 mins today, people would have slowed down, but no, they were just banging through it.
Old 20-01-2010, 06:21 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

people banging through em havent got a clue,i go round any i see unless in lorry,i smacked a big fucker in my mates gti yesterday but it werent that bad,waiting for big bang but i got away with it,what damage it done then? wheel,tyre and broke suspension?
Old 20-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Turbo Al
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did the same in the wifes focus, cracked a wheel. just sent a letter and pictures to the council, hole has been filled. just wait and see now.

on the other hand, think of the amount of scams going on the now

hope you get a pay out
Old 20-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

people banging through em havent got a clue,i go round any i see unless in lorry,i smacked a big fucker in my mates gti yesterday but it werent that bad,waiting for big bang but i got away with it,what damage it done then? wheel,tyre and broke suspension?
Just bent the wheels mate, glenny boy had the wheels off last night at his place, checked everything over, bottom arm is ok, struts and springs are ok, but as i said, the wheels are fubar, glenn said he has never seen wheels more buckled, and neither have i. i wish id videod them on the balancing machine, you wouldnt believe it. but you dont really feel it till you get over 60, you can feel it a bit under 60, but it starts to shake over 60, and over 70 its really bad. i thought i was getting good at avoiding them, there's loads of bad ones round here, but you need the car control of sebastian loeb, and the reaction times of lewis hamilton.
Old 20-01-2010, 07:27 PM
gingerxr2
Regular Contributor

go back put a spirit level across hole and measure from bottom of level to bottom of hole in deepest spot,looks way over 70mm deep in them pics,but do it quick if you havent already cos it will be filled in before you know it now someone knows about it
Old 20-01-2010, 07:33 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

There not pot holes there bloody trenches
Old 20-01-2010, 07:49 PM
sparticus1
How??

fiddy, i work for the local authority up here in Scotland so not sure if the law is the same down there but as has already been said most councils have liabilty insurane companies who look after this. I have been doing public claims for over 10 years. All councils will tell youif they dont know about it they cant be held responsable. But as others have said to under the FOI act you can ask if its been reported. A pothole MUST be looed at within 24 hrs and as from the pics once seen mst be made safe. If its not been done even though it is the other councils they cant leave it so now you are really set to get money. You just have to be cute when filling in the claim form!!
Old 20-01-2010, 07:53 PM
callummarshall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Cragrat
all that salt had to be paid for somehow glenn

as for who contact about this try dojj bud he did quite a comprehensive list in a recent post look through his last few (hundred ) it will be there
What salt??? WTF is that havent seen any of it
Old 20-01-2010, 07:53 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

thats a bastrd dude,hope they pay you out like,its not on having two wheels fucked up,i know the snow bin a problem but them potholes look like they were there before the snow.
Old 20-01-2010, 08:01 PM
rs tingle
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

iv seen worse on my way to work on the stratford road due to busses there way deeper than that lol
Old 20-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by sparticus1
fiddy, i work for the local authority up here in Scotland so not sure if the law is the same down there but as has already been said most councils have liabilty insurane companies who look after this. I have been doing public claims for over 10 years. All councils will tell youif they dont know about it they cant be held responsable. But as others have said to under the FOI act you can ask if its been reported. A pothole MUST be looed at within 24 hrs and as from the pics once seen mst be made safe. If its not been done even though it is the other councils they cant leave it so now you are really set to get money. You just have to be cute when filling in the claim form!!
Cheers for that mate. ill get back onto them tomorrow
Old 20-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

thats a bastrd dude,hope they pay you out like,its not on having two wheels fucked up,i know the snow bin a problem but them potholes look like they were there before the snow.
Thats not a road a drive along to much mate, i was going to glenny boys work, and thats the back way to darlington, which is quicker to get to glenns work, i usually go the front way. im aware of most of the potholes on the roads i usually use, so that one caught me by surprise, i had to hit it as there was a car coming the other way, so it was hit the car or the pothole, i stamped on the brake and tried to avoid it, but it was unavoidable.
Old 20-01-2010, 08:22 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

good job you hadnt lowered her then,it could have been worse like.
Old 20-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

good job you hadnt lowered her then,it could have been worse like.

That was the next job on the list, i was going to do it february. thats gona have to go on the backburner now, next job is a new set of wheels
Old 21-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

or the wheels are fooked mate. I really hope you can get it sorted fella. I would go to your friend who balanced the wheels up and ask them to write a letter saying that they were ok when they got balanced.
Old 21-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Female)
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive got Ł518 damage to mine without wheels
Old 21-01-2010, 01:31 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

this happened to me a few weeks ago and the car dont drive like how it used and shakes above 60 now.

Went last night to take a pic as have been busy the last few nights and they have filled the hole up

gonna try and find a few other pot holes and say i hit them as at least that way the council will repair the damage to the wheel and suspension.

Oh and you will also need to get a 4 wheel alignment done too which can be added to the bill
Old 21-01-2010, 01:41 PM
dojj

before you may the claim phone call:
write down what has been damaged and what the effects on your life are
when they agree to pay out:
they will ask for 2 quotes for the repairs

once these have been submitted, you will have to wait for them to ok the cost before work can be carried out

in my case i broke the gas seal for the strut on the suspension so i needed a new strut and new top mount, suspension was less than a year old from ford, becaus ei was on about getting coilovers etc, i even printed out pages form the internet to substantiate my claim and the pm from someone who had sold me the brand new shocks
but because it was the only car in the house and i had small kids, i pushed and pushed and pushed, even got the car repaired before they told me i could, then said "look, i've got a months old child, plus a 3 year old, plus a partialy sighted mother and a father who has cancer so i need the car to ferry them about, i can't use the van or else i would have, when am i going to get my money?"

it wasn't an option for them not to pay out but i wasn't pulling a fast one, or trying to scam them or anything, i even offered to pay for the other side as suspension needs to be replaced in pairs to avoid "uncharacteristic handling behaviour" of the car

if you are legit and it's all above board then you can't really fail to win, because youcan speak to the member of prliment that does your area to ask if it's fair and to bring it up in the commons etc
Old 21-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

i spoke to council this morning and he was hard work says you got to prove it and could take a while, think my car will be written off as its only a mk2 golf gti but my excess is Ł350 so going lose out quite a bit if i do that, and lose no claims, tried to see if they will claim off council but they cant
and its only car in the house with a toddler and they wont walk that far

Last edited by Mrs T; 21-01-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 21-01-2010, 02:04 PM
dojj

don't take it lieing down

tell them that they were negligent in not checking the roads and, as a reslut, your car has suffered damage and you want to be repaid the cost of the repairs

talk to the insruance side, not highways, just because roads have to be inspected at least once a year doens't mean that a pot hole won't appear on a major route which may cause millions of Ł worth of damage and claims so they look out for the big roads more often

keep going and don't take no for an answer, you don't need to involve your insurance company at all in this, but if you've only got one car then you may need to get it fixed before they send someone out
Old 21-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

d
keep going and don't take no for an answer, you don't need to involve your insurance company at all in this, but if you've only got one car then you may need to get it fixed before they send someone out
only got that car and its only me and little girl here and need it doing but not sure if let insurace deal with it
bloke in garage told me not drive mine so im without a car now
Old 21-01-2010, 02:17 PM
dojj

cal the council back
ask for a claim form
fill it in
send it back
you can also email stuff like this to them, i've got a letter at work that was emailed to me, i'll see if i can post it up later, but it basicly did the same thing
you just need to get the ball rolling
Old 21-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

cal the council back
ask for a claim form
fill it in
send it back
you can also email stuff like this to them, i've got a letter at work that was emailed to me, i'll see if i can post it up later, but it basicly did the same thing
you just need to get the ball rolling
ive asked for forms saying takes 10 working days to get the claim form, they got forms online but cant email them in and i havent got a printer
i think im going have to go through my insurance i need a car and im not holding my breath from the council
got feeling mines a write off
Old 21-01-2010, 05:51 PM
dojj

go and get one from their offices

i'm sure there's one on margate highstreet, been there and delivered before so if you aren't too far away
Old 21-01-2010, 09:05 PM
stigger_darlo
Regular Contributor

fiddy i went past that one on monday nite. only missed it cos the car in front swerved so i did the same. outside hydro isnt it?
Old 19-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

any news on your claim??
i phoned up about mine yesterday the lady told me there is 8 claims going on for that road where i damaged my car and the road is now shut gettin sorted !!
she said she has to wait from a report from highways to see what they say