General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Magnetic sump plugs for a fiver!

Search this Thread

Old 13-01-2010, 08:18 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
im just saying id be more worried about where the swarf has actually came from and why as my filter not caught it either..... it seems too much like the turbo pre filters that dont filter as good as the general oil filter,,,, which ill let you decide on that

i aint bothered with one on my car and,, well i dont have any swarf in my oil thats killed my engine
do your gearbox and diffs have oil filters too?
Old 13-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Turner RS
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do NOT need a magnetic sump plug. PERIOD.

BUT big up anyone selling them, loads of gullible idiots about. LOL.
Old 13-01-2010, 08:26 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

these plugs are defo a good idea many of the fine metal particles in your engine are smaller than 30 microns and this magnet will grab them which can only increase engine life, another reason for them being a good idea is that without them you are only relying on the oil filter to get them and to get to the filter they have to pass through the oil pump first!!
Old 13-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Turner RS
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by botters
these plugs are defo a good idea many of the fine metal particles in your engine are smaller than 30 microns and this magnet will grab them which can only increase engine life, another reason for them being a good idea is that without them you are only relying on the oil filter to get them and to get to the filter they have to pass through the oil pump first!!
BOLLOCKS! Your engine is NOT at any risk.
Old 13-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James @ M Developments
do your gearbox and diffs have oil filters too?

nope they have a different type of oil, different oil grade and aint got the same job as engine oil has as such,,,, its just cogs and different bearings that they lubricate,,,,, ever wondered why they dont have filters ?

auto boxes have filters and some boxes have oil coolers and pumps,,,, as they NEED them

car companys test cars to some of the harsh standards we would NEVER see and make there choices from there,,,, im about to take a gearbox out of my subaru,,,, wonder if that was oil contamination or if it was just a bearing failure/burnt bearing thats broken down over the last 10k that killed it,,,,, would a magnetic sump have solved that issue i wonder,,, well actually im sure my subaru has one fitted to it from the factory though not strong enough maybe

i would recomend these for scalectric car sumps though,, save you loosing a car under the welsh dresser again on the bends perhaps
Old 13-01-2010, 08:34 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it would be interesting to know the specification on these £5 ones as i've seen demos of the more expensive ones , bout £17, and they are VASTLY superior.

the trouble with the cheaper ones is when the oil is hot they lose there ability to hold onto the previously 'caught' fragment let alone attract more!

i'd be willing to pay £17 each for the pucker ones and get enough for gearbox and diffs etc!!!
Old 13-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by botters
erm you sure about that,,, and do you know how small 30 microns actually is ?

think about it,,,,, they work really well,,,,,, im sure LOADS of failed engines have collected loads of swarf when taken apart for inspection....... i recon a oil pressure gauge is also a better option,,,, and they are sort of pointless as when the oil looses presure its cause its fucked also and its just telling you its fucked
Old 13-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by phil_focus
it would be interesting to know the specification on these £5 ones as i've seen demos of the more expensive ones , bout £17, and they are VASTLY superior.

the trouble with the cheaper ones is when the oil is hot they lose there ability to hold onto the previously 'caught' fragment let alone attract more!

i'd be willing to pay £17 each for the pucker ones and get enough for gearbox and diffs etc!!!
thats not shy of 100 quid for sump plugs !!!!
Old 13-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Turner RS
Regular Contributor

As an engine tuner msd, i am VERY surprised to see you selling these not needed items. BUT i really admire your business sense. Money talks and if stupid people buy and i guess you sold a lot on the strength of who you are then BIG UP, but to some you are simply exploiting the dumb.
Old 13-01-2010, 08:42 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

thats not shy of 100 quid for sump plugs !!!!
where the hell did you get that figure from??
Old 13-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mate most of the tuning world is based on money im afraid,,,, people sell the wrong stuff to people all the time to get rich,,,, its called capitalism, hes selling what HE belives in,,,, hes not selling something he dont belive in so give him some credit,,,,, besides if you could have sold these for 17 quid each would you ???

garages charge 1 hours labour for jobs that take a few moments,,,, ive seen garages charge for jobs they aint even done just cause the problem it came in with as dissapeared !!!...... thats a different subject though
Old 13-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by phil_focus
where the hell did you get that figure from??
5 plugs for a saph cossie at 17 quid each plus postage ?

i fail to see what the filler plug is gonna catch though but,, again im not a expert in this
Old 13-01-2010, 08:59 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

5 plugs for a saph cossie at 17 quid each plus postage ?

i fail to see what the filler plug is gonna catch though but,, again im not a expert in this
fair enough, i forgot about there being that many on the 4x4's. i do agree about the filler plug. what is that gonna catch?
Old 13-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

I have genuinely LOL @ some of the uneducated comments on this topic. To respond to a couple...

Some simple questions for you to consider...

What causes wear in a hydroscopic bearing?

How does an oil pump usually wear out and Is it usually before or after the oil filter?

Why do high end cars like Porsche's still have magnetic sump plugs?
Are the manufacturers idiots?

Why is there metal in the oil? Why doesnt the filter grab it?

As for gearbox's and diff's not needing them, why do they allready have them AS STANDARD? Come on guys... thats not even worth arguing!
Old 13-01-2010, 09:46 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

its simple really you want one you buy it,you dont then you dont buy one not worth a thread really imho
Old 13-01-2010, 09:55 PM
RST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Who gives a fuck. I have one, And it can only be better for your engine.
Old 13-01-2010, 11:02 PM
PAUL V
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry can not find and info on hydroscopic bearings ???

How does an oil pump usually wear out and Is it usually before or after the oil filter?
I also don't see many oil pumps that have worn out and the likewise i have not seen a oil pump “swarf” cause premature engine wear.

I don’t think they are idiots, and i think that is a sweeping statement to make. Are ford / cosworth idiots for not fitting a magnetic sump plug or did they think that there is little advantage to fitting one.

There is metal in the oil due to ferrous and none ferrous metal fragment that come from engine wear. The oil filter does "grab" it, i am sure you have taken one apart and looked at the partials they collect.
As for gearbox's and diff's not needing them, why do they allready have them AS STANDARD?
I have been on a fare few training courses for different manufactures and i have been told it in the case of gearboxes, if you see swarf on the plug then there is a problem and you should investigate further especially if there are large metal parts stuck to it
Old 13-01-2010, 11:14 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can see this going on Jeremy Kyle

[Jeremy Kyle Voice]Does Stu's nut work as good as the rest of them? or is that just bollocks. Lie detector results coming up.[Jeremy Kyle Voice Off]

Old 13-01-2010, 11:20 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
I have genuinely LOL @ some of the uneducated comments on this topic. To respond to a couple...

Some simple questions for you to consider...

As for gearbox's and diff's not needing them, why do they allready have them AS STANDARD? Come on guys... thats not even worth arguing!
in regareds to the gearbox one ill back that up 100% as when i took my old box apart you could see tons of swarf all built up on the standard magnet, all them microns mount up
Old 13-01-2010, 11:27 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

the cosworth diff bungs had swarf contamination at the first service interval, they all do it!

our replacement bungs for these are offensively strong, ive got the scars to prove it lol
Old 14-01-2010, 02:22 AM
my-first-rst
tokey smurbo

i have a cheap ebay one in my zetec turbo, and after a 1000miles i done a oil change to have a look at it, looked like a hedgehog with all the metal on it !

in my opinion its better to be stuck on the plug than floating around in your engine??
Old 14-01-2010, 02:36 AM
WENNY
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i havnt read most of this thread but my opion is if you need a magnetic sump plug to collect engine swarp, you need a serious look at your engine. a diff is a different ball park
Old 14-01-2010, 04:02 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a neutral as I have two cossies, but no magnetic sump plugs... However, I DO work in aviation engineering, maintaing jet engines. There is not an engine out there that does not have magnetic plugs in the oil system.

They exist for two reasons, one is early failure indication, as they are checked every xxx flying hours for contamination ( time depends on aircraft). The second is to hold the debris that is the result of internal damage of any wear, to prevent any further damage from the "snowball" effect.

On a car engine, remember the oil pump is generally before the filter, so any nastys floating round will go through thefine tolerences of the oil pump before the filter.

No one is saying they are vital, but IMHO is a nice little cheap product to monitor your engines health at service time, and maybe even prevent further damage from anything it picks up... It might just save a catastrophic failure at a later date.

On another note, do you ever cut open your oil and fuel filters and inspect them for debris? They can be excellent indicators of each respective systems health for five mins work!
Old 14-01-2010, 07:20 AM
dom123
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

http://outboundlink.net/out.php?cid=...r-a-fiver.html

i have one of these sump plugs and i boiled it in water and and picked it up with pliers and it held shit loads of cutlery at 100degrees very impressive... but, my only concern was it didnt have many threads but its been fine on my engine... delivery is about 5 to 7 working days...
Old 04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
botters
competant bodger

Originally Posted by Turner RS
BOLLOCKS! Your engine is NOT at any risk.
it aint bollocks at all pal and your correct my engine isnt at risk as i have one fitted, yours however is at risk and that makes me smile
Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 PM
botters
competant bodger

erm you sure about that,,, and do you know how small 30 microns actually is ?

think about it,,,,, they work really well,,,,,, im sure LOADS of failed engines have collected loads of swarf when taken apart for inspection....... i recon a oil pressure gauge is also a better option,,,, and they are sort of pointless as when the oil looses presure its cause its fucked also and its just telling you its fucked
i am sure and yes i do know how small 30 microns is
as for the oil pressure guage idea yes its good to have one for monitoring your engine condition however when you notice the oil pressure getting weaker this is a sign of the damage already being done!

im not trying to say one of these plugs will stop that ever happening just that for the price they are a worthy investment to slow down engine wear
Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Rolls
Indeed, but if you believe all you read on the net, all engines built over the last 100 years have been at risk as none have previously used magnetic sump plugs...

How long till this is binned like aroncastmajigs posts were?
Except for the millions of engine that have... like Minis with A-Series engines.....
Old 05-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

its a shame my cossie doesnt have a metal sump cause i would just stick a car speaker to use bottom of it. Now that would pick up the metal fileings.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:34 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Turner RS
As an engine tuner msd, i am VERY surprised to see you selling these not needed items. BUT i really admire your business sense. Money talks and if stupid people buy and i guess you sold a lot on the strength of who you are then BIG UP, but to some you are simply exploiting the dumb.
LOL!

Your basis for this assumption is what exactly?

Have you worked for a major tuning company yourself? Or better still a manufacturer?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:38 AM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MunkeyboyRS
I got myself one of the expensive strong ones and managed to stick in to my work bench and took me ages to get it off, they got some power to them. Not taken it out yet, so dont know whats stuck to it.

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
They are cheaper here if you want a cheap one guys:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magnetic-Drain...item518ed34fb0 Not bad supply times either as I ordered from them during testing.

Also, a few members on here have taken those out and fitted mine, so a quick ad in wanted section may get you a used one even cheaper!

As for why was Aaroncasts post deleted, its simple. He was banned and made a new username to cause trouble. I dont care about competition at all, if people want to compete on quality or price then bring it on, I welcome it.

Ref the oil temperature test, dont forget that you need MOVING oil to test it as the magnets strength doesnt dissipate totally it is just heavily reduced above 80C. Its moving oil and high G force that throws the contaminant off it.

For reference, our magnets are the new N45SH High temp Neodymium magnets which only very recently became manufacturable to us. There is no stronger High temp Neodymium magnet on the market today.

All magnetic drain plugs are not created equal and one should examine and see how powerful a Dimple® drain plug is to fully understand it's potential to rid your oil of contaminants. As with most things, you get what you pay for.
Personally I dont think the point here is if it works or not, do we not decide to use genuine ford oil filters based on the fact they may filter better than the cheapo generic "OEM Quality" filter? they only cost a couple quid more and I dont see anyone arguing the toss about this

I myself when I build my YB for the saph, will be putting one of Stu's plugs in the car, as £17 for a product which can provide a little extra peace of mind in a 2k+ engine build seams worthwhile, Sure I can go out and get things cheaper from elsewhere, but at the end of the day, £17 is 1% of the engines cost. I dont understand what the problem is, Stu's plug has proved itself in tests (admittedly in a environment controlled by Stu), yet people still slate it. He is in business with the end goal of making a profit and not being friends with all of us, thats just a by-product
Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by PAUL V
I don’t think they are idiots, and i think that is a sweeping statement to make. Are ford / cosworth idiots for not fitting a magnetic sump plug or did they think that there is little advantage to fitting one.
Well, they only engineered the car for lets say 150000 miles. Plenty enough as they only give a two-year warranty. Since it will easily do this mileage without a magnetic sump plug and most manufacturers are run by tight-arse accountants, they obviously didn't fit one. Even though they knew it makes sense to have one from an engineering point of view.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by WENNY
i havnt read most of this thread but my opion is if you need a magnetic sump plug to collect engine swarp, you need a serious look at your engine. a diff is a different ball park
i agree.regular oil changes keep an engine good.and if a plug picks that stuff up then i,d like to know where its coming from as it isnt good
Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Originally Posted by Bullett
i agree.regular oil changes keep an engine good.and if a plug picks that stuff up then i,d like to know where its coming from as it isnt good
so engines last forever? as they never wear?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cant believe how some people think engines dont wear because they have oil in . why do engines wear? these microns add up and you may aswell be using wet and dry paper lol. yes a filter works well and regular oil changes but when you drain that sump i bet hald of swarf settles and sticks to bottom of the sump where the magnet will keep hold of them so come out with the oil change.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Northern Bloke
PassionFord Regular

Yep, lots and lots of metal parts moving against each other = wear = some metal in the oil. Why not catch what the filter doesn't it can't hurt

And yes, my Porsche had a magnetic sump and transaxle plug, and my RV8 and LT77 box both have a magnetic plugs so not sure where this stuff about manufacturers not fitting them comes from.