General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Free Laptops and Internet......

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM
bil_s2
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me who's astounded by the passion this thread has created? Passionford sounds very apt!

I was unfortunate enough to go to a very poor school in a deprived area. However, the school was given substantial money (from you/your parents hard earned tax pounds) to invest in a state of the art computer suite. (Kids from other schools were allowed to use the facility 2 afternoons a week, but we had daily use of it) This allowed me to develop a career in IT and after years of hard work am very well paid.

I do agree it's definitely galling for people who work hard to see their tax pounds being given to others who may or may not have the same work ethic, but if it helps 10% of those kids create a better life for themselves then I think it's money well spent.

Just my thoughts; I appreciate people will disagree.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
cossiejay! 10 fucking kids

do you just have to loook at your missus for her to get preggars or was it she done a " im having a boy" or similar?
i have 4 from my last relationship but they came with me when we split my wife had 4 herself and we have had 2 together it is fun ,i am well out numbered 9 girls,one boy and the wife
Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
TWoods
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny how these half baked schemes Brown comes out with when his trying to mask over a far bigger fuck up!
Old 13-01-2010, 03:45 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

cossiejay your more nuts than me! you got the snip now?
Old 14-01-2010, 06:32 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

If this government truly wanted to help low income families (and the majority of others for that matter) why doesn't he lower some of the ridiculous taxes that we have to pay. If we didn't pay so much tax on petrol & road tax then maybe the lower income families (and others) would have more money available to them. They could then buy their own laptop if they value their kids education. Ok so he gives the low income families a laptop but then he increases the taxes on petrol - which leads to a knock on effect of the prices of everything delivered to shops by road being increased, cigarettes, alcohol etc and this poor family are even worse of than before they had their shiny laptop. Basically, in the long run this government don't give a shit about our incomes low or otherwise.

I am still not convinced that providing laptops will make that much difference to a childs education but if that is what the government decide to do then i still stand by what i said earlier and think that reconditioned units would be the answer.

By the way Chip, you may have some valid points but your constantly snotty tone often puts me off reading your posts (not on all discussions but certainly this one), try being a bit more open to other opinions and a bit more tactful with your replies and you may win a few people over (oh my god i've asked for it now haven't i lol).
Old 14-01-2010, 07:08 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

So the Government thinks by giving free-laptops(whos paying for the software and Internet Access by the way) that kids will improve their education......... Well I suppose you can learn alot from Farmville, Bin Weevils,Mafia Wars carnt ya!!!!

Sorry forgot to ask, is there really people in the uk with families that dont have access to the Internet WTF!!!! not even with their phones........or will they just say they havnt so they can get one!!!!

Where do I apply for one then????

Last edited by bouncy; 14-01-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 14-01-2010, 07:13 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

He wants to give them free laptops and broadband internet.

And on the other hand.

He wants to introduce an broadband internet tax...

Huh ?

Maybe he just wants more people to tax.
Old 16-01-2010, 02:01 AM
RS500

Originally Posted by Chip
I think its a great thing if low income families can be helped to have internet access, it will allow their kids to stand a change doing their homework, it will help them find a better job potentially.

I believe that a decent highspeed internet connection these days in the UK should be considered a human right, and I think its a tragedy if some kids are deprived of it because their families are on low wage jobs etc.
Do you really think those pc will be used for boring stuff like homework
Old 16-01-2010, 10:42 AM
callummarshall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

thats gordon brown just bought 270,000 votes
Old 16-01-2010, 10:44 AM
stishy
n00b

there is 1 reason why the government wants every person to hav a laptop.. they dont want to do it for the poor people who cant afford it.. when hav they ever cared bout any1?!?!?! its so they know what every cunt is up to and so they can spy on every1!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RS500
Do you really think those pc will be used for boring stuff like homework
I believe that:
Some will get used for nothing school related
Some will get used 50/50 for school and other
Some will get used mainly for school

If only 10% of them end up make a significant difference to the education prospects of the kids given them, I am happy to pay my 1p a week or whatever it ends up costing me, as in the long run that will mean tens of thousands more people who are qualified and harder to replace with immigrants.
Old 16-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stishy
there is 1 reason why the government wants every person to hav a laptop.. they dont want to do it for the poor people who cant afford it.. when hav they ever cared bout any1?!?!?! its so they know what every cunt is up to and so they can spy on every1!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its not about spying on people, the reason they want EVERY person to have internet access is simply so then they no longer need to maintain all the other methods of communication which are more expensive to maintain alongside the web than doing just the web.
So a simple example of that is school closure details during times of adverse weather, they dont want to be talking to hundreds of people on the phone, already they use things like answering machine messages but they cant be accessed simultaneously by parents like the web can.

Most companies have realised the efficiency gains that can be had by using the web, so its hardly surprising that schools want to as well.
Old 16-01-2010, 11:48 AM
gaz s1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...765413&afsrc=1
Old 16-01-2010, 11:28 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Excellent.
Old 16-01-2010, 11:35 PM
callummarshall