General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Manual Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2009, 07:55 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Boost Controller

can some one tell me the differance between a Manual Boost Controller and a bleed valve?
cus i thought they were the same thing??

thanks
andy
Old 30-12-2009, 08:07 PM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Same thing just sounds a bit better i guess even though there not !!
Old 30-12-2009, 08:11 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

just found this from a post off here

a bleed valve does what the name surgests, it bleeds a set (set by a screw) amount of boost away from the accutrator. Whilst a MBC (dawes device) masks all of the boost until a set point (set by up again) usinf a ball and spring arrangment. Google dawes device, should show you

the dawes is the same as a boost controller
Old 31-12-2009, 12:06 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jaiscossie
Same thing just sounds a bit better i guess even though there not !!
Ball and spring controllers are not the same as bleed valves. Bleed valves are rubbish. Ball and spring actually work very well, dawes device is good (but costly) I've used one like the r-spec ones on my old evo 5 and it was great, awesome for spool and didn't spike, held good too.
Old 31-12-2009, 12:40 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

they are awesome. got an apexi avcr boost controller on my skyline.
you can set a spike of boost for the big punch then tail it of however you want.
basically with a controller you have BOOST CONTROL.
with a bleed valve you have a little knob to make the boost go up and down a bit like the flintstones had on there car lol
Old 31-12-2009, 07:11 AM
fordpop
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
basically with a controller you have BOOST CONTROL.
with a bleed valve you have a little knob to make the boost go up and down a bit like the flintstones had on there car lol
So if you turn a knob up or down are you not controlling the boost? Is that not boost control? How can you set spike and tail off with a manual boost controller over a bleed valve? Electronic boost controller yes, manual controller NO!
Old 31-12-2009, 11:36 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by fordpop
So if you turn a knob up or down are you not controlling the boost? Is that not boost control? How can you set spike and tail off with a manual boost controller over a bleed valve? Electronic boost controller yes, manual controller NO!
dont quote half my quote you half wit !

thats exactly what ive said in the part you didnt quote about my apexi avcr, surely even you realise its an electronic controller ! lol

Trending Topics

Old 31-12-2009, 11:54 AM
RSargie
PassionFord Regular

on the subject, has anyone treid one of thease yet?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Manual-Boost-C...item518da6b3dd

they are ball and spring type, like a dawes i belive, price looks good as well.
it says it dosent bleed, so no loss of metered air and just opens at set pressure?
Old 31-12-2009, 12:00 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RSargie
on the subject, has anyone treid one of thease yet?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Manual-Boost-C...item518da6b3dd

they are ball and spring type, like a dawes i belive, price looks good as well.
it says it dosent bleed, so no loss of metered air and just opens at set pressure?

they are fine if you want to just set a boost pressure at a certain level and leave it.
if you want a varying boost curve proper controller or mapped air injectors are needed.
my cos had 22 psi to 4700 rpm, 25 psi to 6300 rpm then 32 psi to 7800 rpm so as to prevent surge issues. air injectors were set in the map by msd.
Old 31-12-2009, 12:30 PM
GTi-R23
The ladies love it French

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a dawes type valve on my Punto GT, worked well if you want to set a boost limit and leave it there.
Old 31-12-2009, 12:40 PM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Manual boost controllers and bleed valves are sh*t your better off paynig for and electronic controller such as scoobyslayers apexi as you can set them up with various amounts of boost and you just switch between them to suit your stlye of driving at that point.( you wanna go quick switch it to a higher boost, if your just driving normal have it at standard settings) all in all a better system
Old 31-12-2009, 12:50 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by stevos
Manual boost controllers and bleed valves are sh*t your better off paynig for and electronic controller such as scoobyslayers apexi as you can set them up with various amounts of boost and you just switch between them to suit your stlye of driving at that point.( you wanna go quick switch it to a higher boost, if your just driving normal have it at standard settings) all in all a better system
they are awesome mate

mine was set up yesterday to 1.7 bar spike, 1.5 bar held tailing to 1.4 at the limiter due to injectors getting to the limit.
with a bleed valve or manual would of been 1.4 bar and thats it or £660 for new injectors
Old 31-12-2009, 12:55 PM
stevos

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Its a much more sensible way of controlling boost as you say you can control your spike where as the manuals just spike like f**k had both on my pulsar and the manual used to spike around 4-5 psi, did't stay on long until i bought a blitz spec r for it as it was only £200. better that than rebuilding an engine due to a s**t £20 maunal one
Old 05-01-2010, 05:44 AM
fordpop
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
dont quote half my quote you half wit !

thats exactly what ive said in the part you didnt quote about my apexi avcr, surely even you realise its an electronic controller ! lol
I don't use them so I don't know what they are you pratt, people that use bleed valves are morons, and boost controllers are for to55ers that can't drive without the boost being reduced for bad road conditions............... Which one are you?
Old 05-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

I don't use them so I don't know what they are you pratt, people that use bleed valves are morons, and boost controllers are for to55ers that can't drive without the boost being reduced for bad road conditions............... Which one are you?
no need for that mate!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:51 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

you sir are an absolute tit ! do you have any understanding of a turbo engine ? when pushing the boudries of a turbo charged engine with a big turbo they can create surge as the turbo is so big the boost has to be held back as the engine cannot consume it in lower revs.

my skyline gets on the limit of fuel at around 580 bhp so boost has to be held back slightly to keep inj duty at 90 %.

why are you commenting on something you clearly know nothing about ?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Chris69

I had a bleed valve then switched to a cheap manual boost controller- the difference is like night and day- the manual boost controller hardly spiked at all and held the psi much better.
big difference in the way they operate- you wann make sure its the ball and spring type not the simple screw in and out bleed valve.
I think a few of you missed the point aswell- he was asking about
A MANUAL boost controller vs A bleed valve not a relatively expensive electronic unit.

Last edited by Chris69; 05-01-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boost controller is always a tarty part of the spec so people are bound to chirp up with expensive electronic ones...gives people incredibly passive access to the cars map so always good for performance involvement. Shame it makes a tuner of everyone... lol

I'd use anything over a bleed valve, had a 'dawes' manual valve on a ZVH running a nice surgey T34 and held brilliantly, only 12-13psi to be fair.