General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Peeps who are in a GYM...........

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 12:27 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Peeps who are in a GYM...........

Ok..............

New years has been and gone, so this year im going to REALLY try to keep to my ressalutions!!!

Smoking,2days now!!!!

But ive had to go and kick fuck out the garage door 4times in frustration!!!

But ive got a right beer belly on my now,so i wanna start going to the gym..

Thing is ive NEVER been to one in MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What they like,is there a atmos in there?? Gonna feel REALLY intimidated 1st time (if) i go,is it like that!??!?!?!

Vernon Kay with a belly walks in,and all these mussle bound monsters givin me the eye,go a feeling clarret will be spilt!!!

So what they like?? What do you do there???

Pete...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:31 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Depends on what gym you join Pete.

You can get a personel trainer at the one i'm in, David Lloyd, but i have never used them.

Get all the advise from them and then you can consentrate on losing your gut.

Hope you enjoy it.

Dave.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

come wi me to the new one by me

tennis, badminton, squash, swimming, running machines, fookin everythin

GOTTA BE PREMIUM THO MAN

Old 02-01-2005, 12:34 PM
slowpoke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

im a member of esporta in here in manchester, £50 a month for gold membership which means you can go any time you like etc

i felt a bit weird at first but no one bothers m8

esporta are more aimed at keeping fit ie cardio than all these big gorrilas walking about i mean they do have weights there but its not like a proper mans gym

i just put my headphones on with mtv dance and im well away and if im in a good mood i will do around 90 mins cardio

not been for a good while now but one of my resolutions is to get rid of all this lard so im gonna start going again if for the very least a good swim

just remember to build up slowly pete dont go mad at first or you will be sore after

matt
Old 02-01-2005, 12:36 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

slowpoke,
im a member of esporta

you want to start going a bit more then.

Dave.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:42 PM
slowpoke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i was waiting for that

piss off lol

matt
Old 02-01-2005, 12:42 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

defo dont over do it the 1st time cos believe me you will regret it for the next 3 days
Old 02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
ADUSR33
Advanced PassionFord User

the smoking bit is easy..i went to be hypnotised and havent wanted one since

And with reagrds to the gym fook everybody else and do your own thing..those beefcakes who grunt and groan just make me laugh..good luck geezer
Old 02-01-2005, 12:52 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers Guys!!!!!

Well i dont wanna go in like harry potter,and cum out like Arnie!!!

Just wanna go..

A.. to perve

And

B.. To just get abit more healthy!!

ADUSR33,
the smoking bit is easy..i went to be hypnotised and havent wanted one since
Heard about that, does it REALLY work?!?!?Or just aload of bollocks?!?!?!

Yeh i know not to go balls out 1st time guys,cus i KNOW il regret it..

Still really parranoid about the 1st time i go in, gonna go with a few mates ,might even try and get Brom down too!!

Pete!!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:54 PM
james_birch
PassionFord Post Whore!!

dude if you were muscle bound would you go to a gym?! no exactly you will find most people (esp this time of year) will be the same as you!

just bite the bullet and go!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I felt a reet joey first time i went to the gym (JJB).

Got into a routine of 3 or 4 times a week, met a few nice people (n some tasty wenches) went on holiday in October and not been back since but have burnt up the calories thinking about it
Old 02-01-2005, 01:02 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Pete,

Re: the smoking thing.

I'm six months down the line without a ciggy, and you feel so much better. Find out what your motivation is though? Mine was health and money, as I noticed that I might not have enough cash to get food one night, but I'd always find the way to get enough for a pack of fags.

Also, and this links the two up, joining the gym a few months before I gave up showed me exactly how unhealthy I was.

Re: the gym, I'd look at it like this:

1. There's always someone else there who's more unfit/overweight than you and therefore probably even more paranoid.

2. Get a programme worked out for you by the instructors. They do it for a living, and do know what they're talking about, so use their expertise. They'll also give you a programme that suits what you're after - weight loss, improved health, etc... Mine did, and knew I had given up smoking, so redesigned the programme to include more cardio to force my lungs back to working order.......

3. Enjoy it. Most people I know join and then give up because they find it boring. If the gym has TVs and headphones, then go when there a programme on that you'd normally sit at home and watch, and walk/run for 30 mins in the gym with it on instead of watching it in front of the telly at home. Otherwise, get yourself an MP3 player as they're small and lightweight, and get some good music on the go whilst doing your workout.

Good luck with it all mate
Old 02-01-2005, 01:04 PM
jamesXXX
PassionFord Regular

i do alot of weights fella, the gym i go to is just a free weights one, but you couldnt meet a nicer bunch, and someone is always willing to help, and give you advice
it doesnt matter how big they are , they dont go to intimidate people, just to work out

join a gym, and once you start training, whether weights, or cardio, you will love it, builds your confidence, makes you feel good in yourself
Old 02-01-2005, 01:11 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Really liking what im reading here guys!!!!!!!!

Gettin more confident!!!

As ive said im not going to be some kind of adonis!!!

I just want to get abit healthier.. I dont wnat to wheez when i get up in the mornin,have a beer gut,or die before im fookin 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did try quittin once,and have to say for the week i was off them,i felt GREAT,but the temptation was too great that the time,cus with the band,and the whole music thing,theres ALOT of smokers around,and its VERY VERY hard!!!!!!!!

But at least if i do start this gym thing, there will b no smoke,so it will help me even more as there wont be fags about,so i wont want 1 either!!!!!

Just got to pluck up the courage to get in there now...

P.S cheers to Stu H for his offer!!!

Pete...
Old 02-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by warleydaddy
I just want to get abit healthier.. I dont wnat to wheez when i get up in the mornin,have a beer gut,or die before im fookin 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same ere, still on 20 a day tho

Weird thing is me mates just rung me to ask me if i fancy an hour up there, i said "Nah, we'll go 2moro" Yeh rite
Old 02-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hey mate
I am starting my new gym plan next week, ( i already used wieghts before etc, but this is a more hardcore appoach), basically as most know on here i aint exaclty big and tall, so expect there to be lots of poser types lording it etc, but i know what i want, how to use the equipment and couldnt give a fook about anyone else there or what they think, so just dont worry about it, go there do your thing, good luck BTW
Old 02-01-2005, 01:39 PM
RstNut
PassionFord Regular

I joined a gym last year and am proper hooked - i go at least every other day.

I know what your saying about being intimidated but trust me dont be, as 99.9% of em are sound

Get down there you will feel great after a week and start seeing changes within 4 - 6 weeks. Got to sort your diet a bit to tho. And dont give up going - its to easy to do that m8

Good luck - keep us posted on how you find it
Old 02-01-2005, 01:42 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok, just spoke to my friends whos a fitness instructor!!

Told her that i wanna come down to see what its like/all about,sia dno worrys,and shes gonna run me through a few things to get me started!!!

Dont think il feel so bad,knowin that its a mate with me?!?!

Man i fee llike a 7yr old startin at a new school!!

Pete..!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Chrissy_bwoy

pete, if its a good gym they will have a variation of equipment, and will also give ya an intorduction to all the machines, how to use em what they are for on your body etc. takes a while to get used to what your body can do but when ya get there its easy

most places is a good atmosphere, and if u need help etc just ask, n ull find if ur doing summit wrong or others know a better way to do summit some1 will mention it.

best o luck
Old 02-01-2005, 02:51 PM
GAZ W
PassionFord Post Troll

I joined a gym about a month ago and was shitting it the first time i walked through the doors , and that was only for the induction , Honestly mate no one gives a shit about you and they not all standing there looking at you and taking the piss .
I am not really into the weights side of things, more the cardio but still go around all the weight machines

I consider myself pretty fit on the cardio side of things but hopeless at the wieghts
Been today for a couple of hours and burnt off 1100 calories

The gym i go to is £32 a month and that includes all the latest gym equipment that is all computerised and all linked to a main computer that you put your own personal electronic key into and everything you have done that day is downloaded from you key to the computer , it also includes use of the the spa, sauna, steam room, and the swimming pool .

I have got my assesment next week with the instructer so they can work out a programme for me
Old 02-01-2005, 03:40 PM
ADUSR33

with regards to the smoking thing..i talked to the women for about 30 mins..then she did light hypnosis for bout 35 mins and ive never even felt like a fag..ive tried everything and just couldnt give up..i was quite a sceptic but it actually worked ...and im abit richer aswell
Old 02-01-2005, 03:56 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ADUSR33
with regards to the smoking thing..i talked to the women for about 30 mins..then she did light hypnosis for bout 35 mins and ive never even felt like a fag..ive tried everything and just couldnt give up..i was quite a sceptic but it actually worked ...and im abit richer aswell
Tell me more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Info,info,info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete...
Old 02-01-2005, 03:57 PM
ADUSR33

hold on mate ill find u the link
Old 02-01-2005, 04:05 PM
ADUSR33

pete cant find the fookin page now but my place was called newstart therapies based in cheshire near me but they have clinics all over the uk...just do a google search for clinics near you..there's loads
Old 02-01-2005, 04:06 PM
ADUSR33

and if it doesnt work first time(BOUT 5%) then you can go back until u give up for good all included in the price
Old 02-01-2005, 04:07 PM
ADUSR33

or try this one www.stopsmokingforgood.co.uk
Old 02-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Ish

pete download this prog to help you give up smoking. it may shock you when you realise just how much you spend/smoke!! http://www.silkquit.org/meter.html

i've not had a ciggy for 1 month & 4 days now
Old 02-01-2005, 04:40 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Ish,

Old 02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BLOODY HELL PON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, got minr runnig now, lets see how i get on?!?!

Pete...
Old 02-01-2005, 05:53 PM
christianh3
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

warleydaddy,

you'll be fine m8. i've been training off and on for 12 years, training solid for last years, don't want to sound big headed but some people might say i'm one of the more experienced who train at my gym, gymnasium1 in Chester.

as a newbie no-one will say anything, or if they do it'll be 'hiya' most probably. the vast majority of the bigger blokes are friendly and in my experience it'll be taken it as a compliment if someone asks their advice on a certain exercise etc....however don't go overboard and never shut up as that can be irritating.

most people are concentrating on doing their own workout and not watching others. don't expect everyone to be going out of their way to speak at first....but once you've been training a few month and become a regular face you will find yourself speaking to other gym goers etc.

get in there, get stuck in, concentrate on what you're doing. read up on training routines etc...learn stuff.

if you can stick the first month or two your laughing.

best of luck
Old 02-01-2005, 08:16 PM
warleydaddy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right...........

My clock is running (cheers pon) Im £7.34 up,wanna smash my house in,and ive ate half the house,and im STILL hungry!!!!!!!

Full gym report next week!!!

Pete...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:26 PM
ADUSR33

use the power of the force
Old 03-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Pete

As you know, I joined mine just before crimbo and managed to get 1st month free.

I pay £54 a month, this includes infinite bookings for the tennis court, squash and badminton, and unlimited use of all the gyms features.

Although I had to join for a year minimum, I feel I will be getting more out of it rather than saying I cant be bothered.

Went to the 1st session, this was basically just to be shown round all the equipment how it works etc. Then got booked in again to have a full program tailored to me, that was this morning.

well, the instructor walked round with me putting a prog together, and ive basically gotta start on cardio for 10 mins warm up (running machine) then onto weights, big bench press machine, then another type then a pull down thingy etc etc

ive gotta stick to this for 8 weeks (this is more aimed to getting my body weight down) and i increase the weights etc as i feel necessary, then I get a full re-assessment where if im down to the weight i wanna be (aiming for 12.5 stone) then i will then think about taking creatine and start some serious weights.

ive gotta say tho, i feel 1000% times better when i walk out than when i walk in, although im dreading waking up tomorrow morning

good luck mate, any tips or owt u want, give me a shout.

a good reference forum is www.bodybuilding.com - its not what u think ie people all up themselves and massive, its mostly people who are overweight posting up pix etc of themselves and then pictures as they progress, losing weight etc

some of them are really good motivation posts

Old 03-01-2005, 06:39 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Keep with it Pete.

£1200 a year is a lot on fags, and that's only calculated on 12 a day or something.

Put it this way - on a 60k house, my the cost of ciggies for me would cover the mortgage repayments
Old 03-01-2005, 06:41 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Keep with it Pete.

£1200 a year is a lot on fags, and that's only calculated on 12 a day or something.

Put it this way - on a 60k house, my the cost of ciggies for me would cover the mortgage repayments
Old 03-01-2005, 07:04 PM
kjc300
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Pete, I'd keep eating for a while yet... before you go to the gym!!!!

Cos your like a match with the wood shaved off!!!!