General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Finding owner of a car ( owner caught )

Search this Thread

Old 21-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Finding owner of a car ( owner caught )

Some wanker hit my BMW in the supermarket car park today

Now its only a minor scratch on the bumper but he was seen by a bloke who tried to stop him before he set of like a nutter to get out of this fellas way

I have the reg number of the car but just wondered if anyone had any ideas how i could trace the owner

Cheers Paul

Last edited by Mr RS500; 21-12-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 21-12-2009, 06:13 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

give it to the police tell them he left the scene of an accident
Old 21-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by jacko
give it to the police tell them he left the scene of an accident
I have mate , THey say that they will contact him but as it was on private property if he tells them to do one there is nothing they can do and they wont tell me his details
Old 21-12-2009, 06:16 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thats shit
Old 21-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by jacko
thats shit

Not as shit as his face will look if i find out who it is
Old 21-12-2009, 06:18 PM
cossiejsy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I am gutted for you mate and that piss me off when people just drive off and they wouldnt like done to them
Old 21-12-2009, 06:19 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just bgo shoping in a car your about to strip and when you see his car drive down the side of it then say oh we are on private land so it dont count
Old 21-12-2009, 06:19 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant take that much mate to find if its local. Maybe a pi could do it for a one'er
Worth it though
Old 21-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by cossiejsy
I am gutted for you mate and that piss me off when people just drive off and they wouldnt like done to them
Exactly mate

Now im far from Mr perfect but i defo would have left my number and offered to pay for the damage ,
Old 21-12-2009, 06:29 PM
utternutter
BANNED
BANNED

http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx
Old 21-12-2009, 06:30 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it helps you can check wheather he is insured or not
http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

*edit*

beaten to it
Old 21-12-2009, 06:30 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

some hpi companies still give owners details if your a trader just ask for name and adress say you are checking owners details to make sure its his car to sell
Old 21-12-2009, 06:31 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i dont get that theres nothing they can do because its on private property. so if you went around to his house and smashed his face with a bat they wouldnt do anything because it was on private property?
its to late now as youve contacted the police but an old way i use is to go into a police station and tell them a bollocks story about me about to buy a car. i tell them i think the seller is dodgy , te;ll them the car details and a made up name and address and ask if it matches their records. 9 times out of ten they will say "no weve got it down as being owned by mr such and such from xxx address" before turning their screen to face you.....

Last edited by fuzzy; 21-12-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 21-12-2009, 06:32 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
Exactly mate

Now im far from Mr perfect but i defo would have left my number and offered to pay for the damage ,

how many cars do you have
Old 21-12-2009, 06:33 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

private land or not,if the public have acces you must have insurance and as far as i can remember if you tell the police you need his details for the insurance claim they have to give it to you but it may well have changed now
Old 21-12-2009, 06:34 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
i dont get that theres nothing they can do because its on private property. so if you went around to his house and smashed his face with a bat they wouldnt do anything because it was on private property?
they wouldn't come out to me when i caught a chav scrote rocking my car checking for an alarm. They said it was a civil matter and there was nothing they could do.

weird the way the world works now.
Old 21-12-2009, 06:49 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cossiejay
private land or not,if the public have acces you must have insurance and as far as i can remember if you tell the police you need his details for the insurance claim they have to give it to you but it may well have changed now
Afaik when our lass's car got wrote off in asda the bloke admitted it was his fault so we could claim on his insurance, but only did that after i booted off on the cunt. If he'd of shrugged his shoulders so to speak we'd of been fucked. Thats all i can remember from what the ins said.
Old 21-12-2009, 06:52 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

so if you have a bump in tesco car park you can tell them to get fucked , drive away and all youll hear is possibly the police asking nicely if youd play ball?
Old 21-12-2009, 06:59 PM
ronf42
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

happened to my missus' zafira a few weeks ago, the fucker hit the passenger door leaving a nice dent in it and then fucking off leaving me to deal with the damage. I think it will push out but will still leave a dent on the swedge line
Old 21-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Update ,

the police have just rung me and said it was an old dear who didnt have a clue she hit my car and she is willing to pay

So im chuffed ,,BUT,, You have to say that if the bloke never took her number she would have just fooked of even tho he was banging on her read side window to make her stop

she claims she was scared when he was banging so kept going , lol,
Old 21-12-2009, 07:06 PM
j6kyt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

what about hpi would that work?
Old 21-12-2009, 07:10 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

good result, tbh and no excuse but some old duffers are oblivious, I had a woman roll back at a junction into me, she was shaking and all panicked.

I told her to get back in her car and not worry about it and try an be a little more aware when on the road. She looked relieved, and tootled off.

Then I shopped her to the police for hit and run...

Nah, not really, would have been funny though.
Old 21-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

The silly old tart.I hope your car isnt to badly damaged.I can remember a few years ago when i had my old sierra.I went to morrisions and when i come out some one had reversed into my car,the corner of the bumper was on the floor,the headlight smashed and the bonnet bent.I asked morrisons staff to look on there cctv but i had no look.
Old 21-12-2009, 07:16 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

it can happen to the best of us,i once reversed into a police car looked in the mirror saw it was a copper thought it would be wise to pull up was still in reverse and hit him again he was not amused at all for some reason .i thought it was funny as fuck
Old 21-12-2009, 07:38 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so if you have a bump in tesco car park you can tell them to get fucked , drive away and all youll hear is possibly the police asking nicely if youd play ball?
Well basicly mate yeah, from what i can gather anyway
Old 21-12-2009, 07:45 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
Well basicly mate yeah, from what i can gather anyway
if thats the case how come you can still get done for driving in tesco car park if you have no insurance? and careless driving if doing doughnuts etc ? unless its different up here? if the car park isnt gated and locked it counts as a public area as the public have continuous access.
Old 21-12-2009, 07:53 PM
JK99

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if thats the case how come you can still get done for driving in tesco car park if you have no insurance? and careless driving if doing doughnuts etc ? unless its different up here? if the car park isnt gated and locked it counts as a public area as the public have continuous access.
That's true up here too - 2 of my mates got done for no insurance and dangerous when they swapped cars and had a wee race in the Homebase Car Park.

1 year ban and fines for both of them but they thought they'd get away with it as it's supposedly Private Property - they were told it wasn't and got humped.
Old 21-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by cossiejay
it can happen to the best of us,i once reversed into a police car looked in the mirror saw it was a copper thought it would be wise to pull up was still in reverse and hit him again he was not amused at all for some reason .i thought it was funny as fuck
Ops ha ha.
Old 21-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Hitting another car in a car park is classed as a sivil matter

Driving with no insurance or driving like a twat isnt , simple realy if you think about it
Old 21-12-2009, 08:50 PM
COS 22

good result

better than we got at croft !

i even gave police his address and they still did nothing about it !!!
Old 21-12-2009, 09:30 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

Hey up Paul,

Someone hit the wifes BMW rear bumper in Morrisons car park, it was only a small mark about the size of your thumb. Cost Ł700 at Malton Motors to put it right............WTF.

The car was 2 weeks old!!!!

Lee
Old 21-12-2009, 09:45 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

bloody hell, good result..

some arseholes about tho.

remember my mate doing a milk round and he said he was parked up in the float when some stupid cow crashed down the side of it in her car taking out her side windows etc, and she just carried on without stopping..
Old 22-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Old people are madness. Could have been squashing a kid and wouldn't have a clue. Then again, a lot are not as soft as they make out, and she may have known full well and played on her age.

Benni.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by orionmojo
they wouldn't come out to me when i caught a chav scrote rocking my car checking for an alarm. They said it was a civil matter and there was nothing they could do.
yet i bet if you did the same you get done for interfering with a motor vehicle.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Isaac.Hunt

Too late now but details of the registered owner of a vehicle are freely available from the DVLA for a small fee and also on the provision that there is just cause for someone requesting them.

The scenario described by the OP is more than just cause.
Old 22-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

gated and locked is a bit over the top for down here. in tescos you will also find that the supermarket has an agreement that the police can enforce the RTA. also you will find that the police wiill enforce it elsewhere where they know the landowner would agree.

Also you have local authority bylaws to deal with. some areas have bylaws adopting such public access areas for the purposes of enforcing RTA. Its not everywhere though. many public accessable places dont come under RTA such a military bases, some ports etc.

If you have the landowners permission and its not public access then police can do fuck all. gated and locked is not necessary down here. As long as the signage is clear that its not public accessable then any charges wouldnt stand up in law. so eg contract car parks where you need a prior contract would be fine but a private pay and display would not. also if you owned an industrial unit with off road yard then no one can stop you gate or not.

Obviously proving it in court is the hard bit.
Old 22-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Spoony.
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by matts1
good result, tbh and no excuse but some old duffers are oblivious, I had a woman roll back at a junction into me, she was shaking and all panicked.

I told her to get back in her car and not worry about it and try an be a little more aware when on the road. She looked relieved, and tootled off.

Then I shopped her to the police for hit and run...

Nah, not really, would have been funny though.
arrrrrhh mate u had me goin then,i proper cracked up...............u swine lol
Old 22-12-2009, 04:21 AM
JamesHenderson
Virgin

Default I'm new to the forum

What's up everyone, my name is James. I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi.. I hope I posted this in the right section.
Old 22-12-2009, 04:57 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
Afaik when our lass's car got wrote off in asda the bloke admitted it was his fault so we could claim on his insurance, but only did that after i booted off on the cunt. If he'd of shrugged his shoulders so to speak we'd of been fucked. Thats all i can remember from what the ins said.
Admitting fault to a incident is the worse thing to do, some insure companies will void your insurance if you do.
In the event of a incident it is up to them to gather the information from both parties and decide who is at fault.
Check your paper work as for some its in there, think it was either Tesco's or Greenlight that told me that.
Old 22-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Old cunts

Most of them are fully aware that they are hitting a car or scraping past it but dont give a fuck in the slightest and just act as if its normal to do it.

Old dear at my mum and dads area was really really bad for it and hit all our cars at some point and would just drive off buring the clutch out as normal without a care in the world, she would reverse back till she hit your car and couldnt go any further as if it was teh kerb edge then just drive off

Always drove into parking bay head first rather than reverse because she would have knocked the fuckin houses down if she tried reversing in

Fuckin nissan micra aswell

Quick Reply: Finding owner of a car ( owner caught )