General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

cashing a cheque without a bank account

Search this Thread

Old 20-12-2009, 10:38 AM
geordiegooner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cashing a cheque without a bank account

how can you cash a cheque without a bank account?my partner got a cheque from the lloyds bank (in her name)but has closed her bank account before it arrived,and now has trouble opening a new one anywhere so cannot pay the cheque into a bank to cash it.
could she just cross the name out and pay into my account if she took some id with her?

FOCUS ST PARTS WANTED!
REAR QUATER NEEDED URGENTLY.

Last edited by geordiegooner; 20-12-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 20-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Jessica.
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they probably wouldnt let you pay it into yours unless it had been signed by the person who gave it to her near the alteration. could try western union but they take commission
Old 20-12-2009, 10:41 AM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

no you can not cross the name out but there are places like cash converters,cash wizard,cash genator the will cash it for a small fee depanding on how large the amount is,otherwise use the cheuqe to open a new account
Old 20-12-2009, 10:42 AM
dave_y

not gonna happen I am afraid, she will need to get a bank account.

if she has poor credit then she can open a basic bank account.
Old 20-12-2009, 10:44 AM
geordiegooner

tried to open a basic account because of poor credit rating and going to take a month??
cheques only for Ł50
Old 20-12-2009, 10:47 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_y
not gonna happen I am afraid, she will need to get a bank account.

if she has poor credit then she can open a basic bank account.
no she won't, she needs to take ID, home address, etc into one of the cheque places, they take a commission of around Ł4-6 per Ł100.
Old 20-12-2009, 10:50 AM
whosyadaddy

she could try somewhere like the money shop etc,
Old 20-12-2009, 10:51 AM
pullo
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by wirralphil
no she won't, she needs to take ID, home address, etc into one of the cheque places, they take a commission of around Ł4-6 per Ł100.

Spot on mate.
Old 20-12-2009, 01:01 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot easier way if you have good credit status would be for you to approach your bank, as they can process it even though she doesn't have account, I get this done through a LLoyds account, even though the cheques are in my name, it is up to the individual manager to decide, so not a routine thing, but I know the manager quite well.
tabetha
Old 20-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As said just cos shes got a poor credit doesnt matter, or shouldnt anyway. My partner has shit credit history and got a bog standard basic account with Abbey on the same day as going down there!!!
Old 20-12-2009, 01:32 PM
mcst

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
As said just cos shes got a poor credit doesnt matter, or shouldnt anyway. My partner has shit credit history and got a bog standard basic account with Abbey on the same day as going down there!!!
Same here, we had piss poor credit history and had a load of issues with Halifax. Walked in to Natwest and put our money into a basic bank account within a couple of hours. Phone and ask whoever you are trying to open an account with beforehand to make sure you take all the right id etc... and they should be able to open it easily.
Old 20-12-2009, 01:32 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by geordiegooner
tried to open a basic account because of poor credit rating and going to take a month??
cheques only for Ł50
i opened up an basic non credit checked account last week for stashing things away, took 15 minutes and its all sorted.id required was driving licence and passport.

Last edited by fuzzy; 20-12-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 20-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

My little bro has the worst credit rating ever, He has a "CASH" account with lloyds now, took 15mins to open, no credit check, and you get a visa debit cars,
Old 20-12-2009, 03:01 PM
geordiegooner

we went into abbey and they wont let her open a basic account as the only id she has was a provisional licience,birth certifacte and letters with address on .she doesnt have a passport,all bills ect are all in my name so has nothing else.halifax went through all the paperwork then when got to the credit check she was knocked back.she was given a pack to send away to get an account but could take upto a month with xmas ect then try to up date to a basic account in 6 months time.we didnt think it was so hard to open an account

FOCUS ST PARTS WANTED!
Old 20-12-2009, 03:20 PM
mcst

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

we went into abbey and they wont let her open a basic account as the only id she has was a provisional licience,birth certifacte and letters with address on .she doesnt have a passport,all bills ect are all in my name so has nothing else.halifax went through all the paperwork then when got to the credit check she was knocked back.she was given a pack to send away to get an account but could take upto a month with xmas ect then try to up date to a basic account in 6 months time.we didnt think it was so hard to open an account.

What about a basic savings account in joint names?? IIRC we didn't need any ID at our existing bank when we opened one. Open it in your name and see if you can add her. Some have a cashpoint card instead of a pass book. If the only aim is to cash the cheque and will need to pay cheques into it in the future it could be an option, as long as its not a notice account just withdraw the cash as soon as its cleared.
Old 20-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Dexy
DTFTW

when i need a cheque cashed asap i sign the back of it and my dad puts it through his company and gives me the cash. Not sure if you can find someone you know with their own business that could do that.
Old 20-12-2009, 03:31 PM
steanlol
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought that you could put your name and address on the back and sign the cheque and put it in anyboby's account

I've done this many years ago so shouldn't see why it cant be done now .
Old 20-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

post office account.

I dont see why theyve rejected her. provisional is both photo and address id.
Old 20-12-2009, 03:38 PM
dave_y

provisional licence isn't accepted as a form of ID (unless under age of 18) where I work.

Basic accout takes 1-2 weeks to open
Old 20-12-2009, 03:45 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i opened one on friday in 15 minutes...go see another bank.
Old 20-12-2009, 04:03 PM
geordiegooner

its a f@@king joke really she had loads of hassle from lloyds so closed the account and she's tried abbey and halifax to open account and both said no.shes only after the basic account to pay her wages in and 2 direct debits outs i thought the banks are crying out for peoples money.

FOCUS ST PARTS WANTED!

Last edited by geordiegooner; 20-12-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 20-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

whats with the 2 week delay? Theres no good administrative reason for it.

Is it just a 'lets fuck over the non-preferential customers we dont want the business from anyway' attitude that a lot of banks now have? just the same as a current account clears a cheque in 3 working days yet on some basic accounts they take 7 working days! there is NO good reason within the banking system for this other than fucking over customers they dont want.

I was perfectly happy with the cardcash account id had since 16 and even earning Ł40k plus it had all the facilities i needed, then in 2007 the banks all started gettting anal towards non-current account holders to the point where i had to upgrade just so i could use the bank! at the time i upgraded it was telephone only, no counter service, and 7-10 days to clear a cheque!
Old 20-12-2009, 04:15 PM
geordiegooner

abbey rejected her as a provisional licence isn't accepted as a form of ID unless under age of 18 which is just a joke.didnt even get to fill out any forms to open account.

FOCUS ST PARTS WANTED!
Old 20-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

i thought the banks are crying out for peoples money.
no the banks are out for profit.

Your g/f wont make the bank much money, as low income, poor credit rating etc. they will assume her account will be mostly at zero from the day after payday, as her credit history tells the bank she cant handle her money.

Also remember credit scoring is about profit. protecting consumers from bad debt is secondary. You can be mr perfect paying all your bills, mortgage on time etc only use credit card occassionally for expenses and clear it quick- a good manager of thier finances most people would say, but his credit score would not be that great as he doesnt use credit much and doesnt make the lenders much money.
Old 20-12-2009, 04:20 PM
pollocks
Advanced PassionFord User

why doesn't she open a think banking account ! everyone can have one of them no matter how bad your credit rating and you pay your cheques and cash in via rbs
Old 20-12-2009, 05:11 PM
dave_y

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
whats with the 2 week delay? Theres no good administrative reason for it.

Is it just a 'lets fuck over the non-preferential customers we dont want the business from anyway' attitude that a lot of banks now have? just the same as a current account clears a cheque in 3 working days yet on some basic accounts they take 7 working days! there is NO good reason within the banking system for this other than fucking over customers they dont want.

I was perfectly happy with the cardcash account id had since 16 and even earning Ł40k plus it had all the facilities i needed, then in 2007 the banks all started gettting anal towards non-current account holders to the point where i had to upgrade just so i could use the bank! at the time i upgraded it was telephone only, no counter service, and 7-10 days to clear a cheque!
2 week delay is due to the basic accounts not being opened in branch, they are sent away and processed. The bank barely makes any money from opening them so don't waste members of staffs' time when they can be doing something else to generate revenue for the bank. that is why they do not advertise basic accounts either.

basic account and current accounts clear cheques in the same timescales although basic holders have no access to counter service.

the only reason banks do basic acounts is because they HAVE to otherwise they would fuck them off.
Old 21-12-2009, 12:00 AM
STURS2
Part of the Furniture

its a f@@king joke really she had loads of hassle from lloyds so closed the account and she's tried abbey and halifax to open account and both said no.shes only after the basic account to pay her wages in and 2 direct debits outs i thought the banks are crying out for peoples money.

FOCUS ST PARTS WANTED!
why on earth would they say no?!