General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any exhaust manifold builders on here??

Search this Thread

Old 20-12-2009, 06:03 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
iam not being funny but the quick silver exhaust manifolds are shit as well, they have been crush bent and not mandrel bent which will vastly slow exhaust gas speed down and the collector will create such a bad flowing area that you may lose bhp .
cheers paul
why would they not mandrel bend them????

seems stupid to make a manifold or system if its not bent that way,
Old 20-12-2009, 06:06 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Serious question, why bother with all the hassle for 270bhp n/a when an easy turbo conversion will give you that? Save a lot of £££?
prob for the same reason folk try to get a cossie to 900bhp when there is cheaper and easier ways to do it and because i dont want to turbo this one,i want 270bhp of n/a throttle bodied power....eventually. its not about the money mate can build a turbo zetec tomorrow with 300bhp out of bits i got in the garage.

dont know if any of the scottish boys will remember this from knockhill...but tony caigs dunnell fiesta used to be stuck to the arse of kevin adams 550bhp falkland 3 door in the smrc and northern saloons
Old 20-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Rob84
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about Tony Law?
Old 20-12-2009, 06:12 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

tony law 1350 inc vat want it for 3 days and cant do it till nr feb.so inc fuel hotel etc it be prob 1700 and dont think that was stainless either

Last edited by dug112y; 20-12-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 20-12-2009, 06:29 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

[QUOTE=NEIL A;4588442]I know you said no to AVA but im sure big Tom that use to do alot of the fab at ava has set up himself and his work realy is good.

oh has he really. tom was nice bloke i bought his truck off him years back.whats he called and whereabouts?
Old 20-12-2009, 06:40 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure where he is working out off will try and get his number for you justnow.
Old 20-12-2009, 06:45 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

pm rickylee off here
Old 20-12-2009, 06:51 PM
jamie k

as a few guys mentioned quicksilver ones arnt the best either but if you need someone handy free flow from shotts is a handy place go up and see him if your stuck i was gonna get mine done ther but bought ones from burton to save the hassel of transporting the car about .

i seen a set he made they were ace and were all mandrell bent aqnd welds were brillint he certanly was alot cheaper than any other place i tried after i showed him rms,s disaster

quality guy too came seen my car because i couldnt take it to him .not many people would do that for you nowadays
Old 20-12-2009, 06:52 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

We build all kinds of manifolds,

What is it your wanting? N/a or turbo?
Old 20-12-2009, 06:54 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Originally Posted by jammerrs
so whats happening to it then?
2L, 50mm bodies, 12.1 compression!?

or crazier than that?

also you say you want bigger than 2" diameter, as the st170 is 2.5" but im sure n/a cars need a small bore, so im sure 2.5" would be plently

yep your on the right track mate...12.5 though lol....dont want to give much away just gonna work on that one through the year. the st170 head when ported flows better than a ported cossie or duratec head on cnc heads flow bench!!!!!
building the first engine in next few weeks,should be 210/220bhp.

yep your right ,its a 2.5 inch system i am going to get done,as no one does one as far as i know.
Old 21-12-2009, 06:10 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
iam not being funny but the quick silver exhaust manifolds are shit as well, they have been crush bent and not mandrel bent which will vastly slow exhaust gas speed down
you're not being funny, but you're not being factual either

if you make the cross sectionl area of a pipe smaller, you will speed up the gas flow through it
Old 21-12-2009, 06:37 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL

So your building a 270hp NA engine and your trying to skimp on a exhaust manifold ?

I would advise you do your homework before taking on such a task, a Ashley manifold simply won't be anywhere near upto the job.

Find someone who has done this before and actually made that power (not talked about it) and then you will have some sort of idea what you need.

£800- £1500 is what I would expect to be spending on a manifold and system for such an engine and the engine alone will be around if not more than 10k to build if on a steel crank and dry sump setup.

Oh and don't forget to factor in a gearbox that can take those sort of revs, syncro gearboxes don't like it for long.

I know plenty of people who have tried doing this and many that have, you will need DEEP pockets for a reliable package so back out now if you really think it can be done on the "cheap"
Old 21-12-2009, 09:33 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
you're not being funny, but you're not being factual either

if you make the cross sectionl area of a pipe smaller, you will speed up the gas flow through it
yes thats logic until the engine exhaust gas are flowing that fast that the exhaust has to be increased in size to cope with exhaust gas speed , other wise all cossies would be running 1 1/2 exhaust systems and not 4 inch, and there are other aspects like backpressure etc , so iam being factual for the power hes looking at
on my over the gearbox turbo manifolds that i build i still use 1 1/2 pipe as the headers are alot longer than say a erst manifold so still need good exhaust gas speed to spool the turbo up and these are used on many high powered zetec turbo engine , but i would go up in pipe size if i was sitting the turbo next to the engine like a cossie engine.

cheers paul
Old 21-12-2009, 11:18 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jammerrs
why would they not mandrel bend them????

seems stupid to make a manifold or system if its not bent that way,
Easy

Mandrel benders cost a fortune and are large pieces of kit.

Pipe benders are cheap and small and easy to use.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:29 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dug112y
both of these places are a fortune

Unfortunately mate any one making custom manifolds and systems charges the job out by the time taken, and manifolds take days to get right, I know we've developed a whole range of RWD Stainless manifolds and systems with Piper and they have the car for a week, sometimes a fortnight if they are doing manifold and system.

Because its one off you have to pay the full development cost, whereas for me because we sell the manifolds in numbers the development can be spread across the volume sold so the unit costs are cheaper, but in saying that our RWD Stainless Zetec manifold is £245+VAT, so just shy of £300. to pay perhaps 3 times that cost for a custom one off is not out the way.

So which ever way you cut it its gonna cost you, if you want a proper quality job then its worth spending the extra money and using someone like Primary Designs, Simpson, Tony Law or perhaps JP, they did a manifold and system for one of my customers and they did a nice job of it and as a custom job it wasnt that dear, I think he paid around £900 for a manifold and system.

They are in Macclesfield so you'd save a load of fuel over going further down south.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:46 AM
dug112y
passionford pro

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
LOL

So your building a 270hp NA engine and your trying to skimp on a exhaust manifold ?

I would advise you do your homework before taking on such a task, a Ashley manifold simply won't be anywhere near upto the job.

Find someone who has done this before and actually made that power (not talked about it) and then you will have some sort of idea what you need.

£800- £1500 is what I would expect to be spending on a manifold and system for such an engine and the engine alone will be around if not more than 10k to build if on a steel crank and dry sump setup.

Oh and don't forget to factor in a gearbox that can take those sort of revs, syncro gearboxes don't like it for long.

I know plenty of people who have tried doing this and many that have, you will need DEEP pockets for a reliable package so back out now if you really think it can be done on the "cheap"

have you read this title or thread all the way through or my build thread???? em no doesnt sound like it.
i am building a zetec(210bhp) just now for my fiesta(see thread)but also through next year i am gonna build ANOTHER one targetting 275bhp but i dont know what its going into yet.

i know the ashley manifold wont do..DOH...hence trying to find someone to build another....

i know people that have done it and i do know what i need ......i was just looking to see if anyone one here would do it a bit cheaper than the manifold manufacturers,ie someone might do it on the side.

i know roughly what its going to cost to build and havent commented at all on how much its going to be in total

have i commented on which gearbox i am gonna use with it.......em no....dont jump to conclusions.the bc type box has trouble handling that power even with the quaife gearkit so prob mtx type box or possibly sequential.

who said i was doing it on the cheap?? just cos you try to save a few hundred quid on some things doesn't automatically mean your gonna cut corners.does the build thread look like its getting done on the cheap.....em no.
imform your self before commenting. RANT OVER

Last edited by dug112y; 21-12-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:54 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Meerkat custom exhausts in kilbirnie
Old 21-12-2009, 12:01 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Originally Posted by neilm
Unfortunately mate any one making custom manifolds and systems charges the job out by the time taken, and manifolds take days to get right, I know we've developed a whole range of RWD Stainless manifolds and systems with Piper and they have the car for a week, sometimes a fortnight if they are doing manifold and system.

Because its one off you have to pay the full development cost, whereas for me because we sell the manifolds in numbers the development can be spread across the volume sold so the unit costs are cheaper, but in saying that our RWD Stainless Zetec manifold is £245+VAT, so just shy of £300. to pay perhaps 3 times that cost for a custom one off is not out the way.

So which ever way you cut it its gonna cost you, if you want a proper quality job then its worth spending the extra money and using someone like Primary Designs, Simpson, Tony Law or perhaps JP, they did a manifold and system for one of my customers and they did a nice job of it and as a custom job it wasnt that dear, I think he paid around £900 for a manifold and system.

They are in Macclesfield so you'd save a load of fuel over going further down south.

thanks neil
yeah i get what your saying mate.....i know what i want, sizes,lengths etc so theres no development,i just want someone to assemble it. 245 + vat seems really good for a manifold to me and a bit more for something bit different say 300+vat ....but to be paying 800 quid for what is essentially a similar item/material i think is a bit ott IMO.
£900 for a manifold and system doesnt sound bad but i got quoted NEARLY double that.

cheers
Old 21-12-2009, 12:03 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Originally Posted by carlo
Meerkat custom exhausts in kilbirnie
cheers carlo i have spoke to him and emailed what i am looking for and hes looking promising plus not that far away,just waiting on an email back mate.
Old 21-12-2009, 12:08 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I know the owner personally he is a good guy he done a full exhaust for my focus rs a couple month back.
Old 21-12-2009, 01:19 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The development is not just in the primary sizes etc its in the getting those tubes into the space while keeping form and function, especially if you want matched length.

If you do then you would perhaps be better off talking to say Simpson because they tend to do a lot of cutting and shutting of pipe rather than mandrel bending longer lengths of tube. This enables them to get into space were a mandrel bend radius couldnt.
Old 21-12-2009, 04:46 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Apoligies then if it doesn't seem that I'm taking you seriously.

SO many people talk about, not many manage it and all I'm doing is advising you to use people who have done it as otherwise you may be doing the job twice.

I haven't read your thread but I would still of said the same as its advice (badly worded I might add) so I apoligise for that.

The issue is that simply no matter how pretty or rough the manifolds and systems look few will work on a proper NA engine, your looking for massive power and for that you need to know their stuff has done it before, infact not their stuff the exact manifold they are making you as they all differ in design and that obviously can play a huge part in your engine making what it should.

As far as Matt Simpsons Exhausts go he has proven that "some" of his manifolds work but I can name 2 people that have had his designed manifolds that simply haven't worked as they expected, when Matt then remade the exhaust to a known companies design the engine then made nearer the power they expected. I am sure its not the only case with his work or anyone elses for that matter so choose carefully as its a important factor often overlooked.

Just because some stuff looks wild or fairly priced I really would look for what has worked

Also YHPM

Last edited by JonnyBravo; 21-12-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 21-12-2009, 05:30 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Originally Posted by neilm
The development is not just in the primary sizes etc its in the getting those tubes into the space while keeping form and function, especially if you want matched length.

If you do then you would perhaps be better off talking to say Simpson because they tend to do a lot of cutting and shutting of pipe rather than mandrel bending longer lengths of tube. This enables them to get into space were a mandrel bend radius couldnt.
yes i agree with what you say but to someone used to making these it shouldnt be an issue. I have spoke to simpson,but when you add their quote up along with taking the car down/hotels etc the exhaust for a fiesta would be £2000..dearest thing on the car.

exhaust £1400 + vat....£1650
fuel up and down £200
hotel\food etc £200
and 3 days making no wages makes it a bloody expensive exhaust!!!!!
Old 21-12-2009, 08:21 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by dug112y
yep your on the right track mate...12.5 though lol....dont want to give much away just gonna work on that one through the year. the st170 head when ported flows better than a ported cossie or duratec head on cnc heads flow bench!!!!!
building the first engine in next few weeks,should be 210/220bhp.

yep your right ,its a 2.5 inch system i am going to get done,as no one does one as far as i know.
12.5 bloody hell

well even if you dont give away the fuill details could you make a build thread on that engine, would love to see some of the things needed for it

BTW, i think you should put it in an orion haha