General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

car alarms

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default car alarms

which ones are the best?
Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM
dojj

also what do trackers cost to run?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:20 PM
dojj

free bump for the evening crew
Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

when i was doin alarm fitting we always used sigma or cobra (belive sigma is now owend by scoprion) alarms, cobra we used to fit mainly ADR upgrade alarms but for cat 1 we used to fit sigma

we also used to fit cobratrak Q trackers (mainly for porsche, aston martin)

personaly id go with a sigma s30 and a cobra track tracker

the s30 is cat1 http://www.scorpionauto.com/sigmaS30.htm all the fatures

and the cobratrak is ver resonable think registration is £300 for the life of the car http://www.cobravehiclesecurity.co.u...rak-first.aspx

hope thats helpful
Old 11-12-2009, 09:59 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i wouldnt buy a scorpian after having one fitted to my old car, it was complete shit, i even had to point the remote 1 inch from the car before it worked, and no it wasnt the battery.

Best alarms ive had, toad ai606 and my currant laserline
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 PM
dojj

after having a clifford fitted in the past, i was happily imppresed with it

so what about another one?

i'm just after soemthing that will have the ability to be added too without much hassel rather than having to have one alarm fitted, then another one and another etc

is there something you can fit the guts of to the car, then add more bits to it?

you can tell i'm not as clued up as i should be, hence the questions
Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Toad A1606
Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Big-Dan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*EDIT* Tracker wise: A friend of mine works for a company that are getting some pay-and-go ones which run off a sim card in, he brought one round the other night for me to look at and I was pretty impressed.

It's a small black box about 5x3 inches in size which is connected to the car battery, you set it up via a series of text message commands (for your desired purpose) and it will alert you if your car is moving, if it goes over a certain speed or if it hasn't moved for a few days.

When you receive a text message from the unit it reads as co-ords so you can go onto google maps and type it in to see a ariel view of your vehicle location (or tell the police) which is accurate to about 5 feet, if your not in the car and you get a message to say it's on the move you can text it a command and it will kill the engine, it also has a built in rechargable battery just incase your car battery runs flat or is cut by whoever is trying to steal it.

It also has a paper thin panic button which you can hide away somewhere so that if you can't get to a phone in an emergency or have an accident or break down you press the button and it will send a distress message to a phone number of a selected phone along with you co-ords.

His company haven't given him an official price or release date yet but he is expecting it to cost no more than £100 which I personally think is a bargain after seeing it working myself.

If you put a ASDA simcard in the alerts will cost you 4 pence a pop too.

It's similar to this but better: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Realtime-GPS-V...item25575a33a8

Big-Dan.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 AM
dazzaj
ps3 name.. LYNX-79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got mine off ebay 4 50quid.. its grand.. with remote start and the usual alarm stuff.. the key fob works like a pager it bleeps wen car is disturbed.. the only downside with it is the size of the key fob..
Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 AM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AI 606 all the way, add anything to it, very,very reliable, ive fitted loads and never had one single problem, wouldnt go for a cheapy one off the bay, easily bypassed by even the stupidest of thief's
Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 AM
fiend

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Big-Dan
*EDIT* Tracker wise: A friend of mine works for a company that are getting some pay-and-go ones which run off a sim card in, he brought one round the other night for me to look at and I was pretty impressed.

It's a small black box about 5x3 inches in size which is connected to the car battery, you set it up via a series of text message commands (for your desired purpose) and it will alert you if your car is moving, if it goes over a certain speed or if it hasn't moved for a few days.

When you receive a text message from the unit it reads as co-ords so you can go onto google maps and type it in to see a ariel view of your vehicle location (or tell the police) which is accurate to about 5 feet, if your not in the car and you get a message to say it's on the move you can text it a command and it will kill the engine, it also has a built in rechargable battery just incase your car battery runs flat or is cut by whoever is trying to steal it.

It also has a paper thin panic button which you can hide away somewhere so that if you can't get to a phone in an emergency or have an accident or break down you press the button and it will send a distress message to a phone number of a selected phone along with you co-ords.

His company haven't given him an official price or release date yet but he is expecting it to cost no more than £100 which I personally think is a bargain after seeing it working myself.

If you put a ASDA simcard in the alerts will cost you 4 pence a pop too.

It's similar to this but better: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Realtime-GPS-V...item25575a33a8

Big-Dan.
So if you car battery is disconnected it doesn't work?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Big-Dan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fiend
It still works as it has a built in rechargeable battery, I'm pretty sure I said that somewhere in the 3rd or forth paragraph

Obviously the battery won't last forever but providing you don't keep texting the unit every 5 mins it should last a good while.

Big-Dan.

*EDIT* When you receive a text message from the unit it reads as co-ords so you can go onto google maps and type it in to see a ariel view of your vehicle location (or tell the police) which is accurate to about 5 feet, if your not in the car and you get a message to say it's on the move you can text it a command and it will kill the engine, it also has a built in rechargable battery just incase your car battery runs flat or is cut by whoever is trying to steal it.

Last edited by Big-Dan; 12-12-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:08 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fiend
he said it had battery back up mate
Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 AM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

i have a clifford g4 which seems ok,i have had a toad which was good as well
Old 12-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

i had a cobra on my saff, when my m8 bought a ferrari f355 it had the same alarm fitted
Old 12-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Car alarms oh how we car tuners hate your alarms
up with the bonnet in with the ear plugs
Old 12-12-2009, 10:34 AM
dojj

ok then, it seems that there are a few out there to get fitted and tested

what about basics like an alarm with remote locking and a simple set up and siren?

and things such as how long the batteries last i the fobs, how many fobs you get, range of setting/resetting and stuff?

and then it gets really complicated
Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
buddyburton
Virgin

It is too simple cobra is too good as my experience Cobra or Sigma both are well.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

well considering theres a lot of cars going missing and being driven off despite cat 1 alarm systems, it does make you wonder what your getting for your money.

are trackers even that secure?? surely if they can get past a good clifford cat 1 then a tracker aint going to be hard to locate.

its all a bit depressing really.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
well considering theres a lot of cars going missing and being driven off despite cat 1 alarm systems, it does make you wonder what your getting for your money.

are trackers even that secure?? surely if they can get past a good clifford cat 1 then a tracker aint going to be hard to locate.

its all a bit depressing really.
trackers are fucking useless , the police have to be within about 5 miles of the car to pick up the signal.

GPS trackers are the way forward, every time you turn your car on it sends a signal to a internet base, and repeats that signal every 2 mins, you can get a map on the internet of where you have been, how fast you have been etc... crap if your cheating on your mrs and she logs on to see where you are , but good if you car gets nicked because you can see where it was driven to last. and for any synics reading, im sure you could set it to send a few signals out when the engine has stopped to see EXACTLY where it is, and yes, it would be useless if it was towed away.
Old 18-12-2009, 06:35 AM
dazzaj
ps3 name.. LYNX-79

Originally Posted by orion_crazy_carl
AI 606 all the way, add anything to it, very,very reliable, ive fitted loads and never had one single problem, wouldnt go for a cheapy one off the bay, easily bypassed by even the stupidest of thief's
im curious now.. n a little worried, how would some bypass my alarm???
Old 18-12-2009, 08:24 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dazzaj
im curious now.. n a little worried, how would some bypass my alarm???
If its a cheap alarm really fucking easy.
Old 18-12-2009, 08:57 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

what do you want the alarm to do? does it have to be CAT1? what car is it going onto?

Most alarms are only ever gonna be as good as the person fitting them

bassboy
Old 18-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Rich_bloor
GPS trackers are the way forward, every time you turn your car on it sends a signal to a internet base, and repeats that signal every 2 mins, you can get a map on the internet of where you have been, how fast you have been etc... crap if your cheating on your mrs and she logs on to see where you are , but good if you car gets nicked because you can see where it was driven to last. and for any synics reading, im sure you could set it to send a few signals out when the engine has stopped to see EXACTLY where it is, and yes, it would be useless if it was towed away.
thats why you need a decent alarm with glass break and tilt/movement sensor to activate the gps tracker! Gsm alerting would be useful
Old 18-12-2009, 05:48 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by bassboy
what do you want the alarm to do? does it have to be CAT1? what car is it going onto?

bassboy
i'll pop into work tomrrow if you are going to be about mate

tilt sensor, chirpy when someone gets close and possibly tracker into the deal, but that's £500+ ontop of what peole want for an an alarm in the first place, but that does come with the first years subs in the price

just need to know what to look out for rather than look for a name that is popular
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 AM
dazzaj
ps3 name.. LYNX-79

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
If its a cheap alarm really fucking easy.
not really the answer i was lookin 4... i dont think it would be that easy.. u cant answer the question properly so u cant prove me otherwise..
Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Toad Ai606 gets my vote too or a Sigma. Wouldn't give a Clifford the time of day never mind have one fitted
Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
dave_s2_rst

I recently fitted a Ai606, nice alarm and easy add bits onto it (i've added a tilt sensor and shock sensor). You can also add an internal siren, wire up immob fobs with ease. For the price and spec it gets my vote too.

Dave
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 AM
dave_s2_rst

Originally Posted by bassboy

bassboy

Rightly said, my previous alarm was a scorpian, the person who had wired it had done a rather piss poor job which made it easy to trace all wires within seconds and rip it out.

Dave
Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dazzaj
not really the answer i was lookin 4... i dont think it would be that easy.. u cant answer the question properly so u cant prove me otherwise..
Actually pretty easy like said, i had a clifford concept 300 fitted into my old xr2i and it was fitted really well by someone i know, most alarms, well the older types anyway usually immobilize the main live feeds etc and are usually fitted into similar places, i took it out and wired it into the gfs xr3i with no problems. If its been fitted well and neatly then its obvoiusly gonna be a bit harder but to someone that knows them well not really hard at all!

I remember years ago someone i knew had an alarm/stereo company and they made a signal jammer really easily to block clifford signals. They only used it for fun but basically when u use it while someone is trying to set their alarm they cant, and with most people they would give up get pissed off and just lock it with the keys!! Obviously anyone wanting to steal the car would then not have an alarm to worry about!!

obviously more modern systems will be alot harder but theres always ways round things!!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
Actually pretty easy like said, i had a clifford concept 300 fitted into my old xr2i and it was fitted really well by someone i know, most alarms, well the older types anyway usually immobilize the main live feeds etc and are usually fitted into similar places, i took it out and wired it into the gfs xr3i with no problems. If its been fitted well and neatly then its obvoiusly gonna be a bit harder but to someone that knows them well not really hard at all!

I remember years ago someone i knew had an alarm/stereo company and they made a signal jammer really easily to block clifford signals. They only used it for fun but basically when u use it while someone is trying to set their alarm they cant, and with most people they would give up get pissed off and just lock it with the keys!! Obviously anyone wanting to steal the car would then not have an alarm to worry about!!

obviously more modern systems will be alot harder but theres always ways round things!!
If mine didnt work i would drive off and park in a different place THEN try my alarm again

Kidding, id probably use the key aswell
Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
gingerxr2
Regular Contributor

a good theif WILL bypass ANY alarm,immob,an alarm is just a deterent,if they want it they will get it,
lad local to me has 2 chains under the car wrapped round axel,wouldnt mind its only an mr2 lol,but it works,
ive got a clifford concept300 and a sigma immob,so cat1 and cat2 on my xr2,cant fault either of em
Old 06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
dojj

ok, so i got an alarm fitted, cat one, but not to many details here

thing is, my neighbours got an a class, and when he locks his car, my alarm goes off

whys that then?

it's got the scrolling random something frequency thing on it (someone will know what i'm on about) so does it think that someone is trying to cheat the alarm or soemthing?

i'll call the guys out who fitted it if it's going to be a problem or it doesn't learn that it's another alarm being plipped, but has anyone come across this before?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

call the guys out! they might be able to switch it into another frequency band or reduce its sensitivity to other rf tx's
Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
call the guys out! they might be able to switch it into another frequency band or reduce its sensitivity to other rf tx's
i'm sure he'll know what that means, but if i tell him on the phone he might think i'm all techy and start asking nerdy questions, and then where will you be

i'll just tell them it's fucked and to come and fix it
in the snow
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
kcosneil
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Toad A1606
+1
Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 PM
kcosneil
Regular Contributor

got a tracker aswell. think its bout £120 a year. or can pay £300-350 something like that and its on for as long as u got the car.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:03 PM
cosy trav
PassionFord Regular

No alarm/ immobiliser is good on a sierra , i have by bypassed my clifford G4 in 20 secs just to show my mate how easy it is to steal . I was shown by an old school car theif and it shocked me how easy it was , will work on any immobiliser or alarm fitted to a sierra .