General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Unsecured Internets

Search this Thread

Old 18-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsecured Internets

Is it illegal/can you get in any bother surfing from an unsecured wireless network? For talkings sake in a city centre, not a residential area - although i suppose its just the same thing.
Old 18-11-2009, 10:28 AM
fatmike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Good question. There seems to be a lot more unsecured networks than you would think. I assume it is considered illegal like many of these types of things. However it's wether you end up getting caught that matters lol.

I doubt the majority of people would realize any difference to the performance of their network if another computer was to join it. Providing you are just surfing web pages and not downloading big files. I'm sure though there are ways to tell with the right knowledge/software if there are other computers using your net. I imagine its very simple to find out. But lets get it in perspective. Anyone stupid enough not to secure their network in the first place isn't very likely to be very computer "able". The type that takes about 30 minutes just to start the computer up lol
Old 18-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldo
Is it illegal/can you get in any bother surfing from an unsecured wireless network? For talkings sake in a city centre, not a residential area - although i suppose its just the same thing.
Yes its illegal under sections 125 and 126 of the Communications Act 2003.
Old 18-11-2009, 10:44 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip
Yes its illegal under sections 125 and 126 of the Communications Act 2003.
fuck em, I do it all the time.
Old 18-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
fuck em, I do it all the time.
Lots of people do, just like lots of people commit burglaries, but he asked if it was illegal or not, so I am just informing him about that query.

The penalty is potentially very high too:

The section 125 and section 126 offences are triable either way, with the maximum sentence on indictment being 5 years imprisonment, or a fine, or both. The maximum sentence on summary conviction is 6 months imprisonment or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum, or both.

Last edited by Chip; 18-11-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 18-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Chip, what's the deal with security while using wireless networks? I've heard it's not a good idea to do online banking etc while using one, although I really don't know much about this kind of thing.

I use one in my home which requires a password/login to connect. Presumably this still isn't very secure? Take it that it would be a bad idea, for e.g., to use a hotel's network while staying there if you're going to be entering sensitive information?
Old 18-11-2009, 11:02 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I know ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law, but If your device automatically seeks out wireless connections, how are you supposed to know if it's free wifi, or someone who can't be arsed to password protect their connection?
Old 18-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Hockney
Advanced PassionFord User

Online banking is done over a https connection so you shouldnt have any worries.

As long as your using WPA/WPA2 your as secure as your going to be using your wireless router. I also recommend using MAC filtering and only allowing the mac addresses of the computers your wanting to use your wireless network

Originally Posted by Alan_D
Chip, what's the deal with security while using wireless networks? I've heard it's not a good idea to do online banking etc while using one, although I really don't know much about this kind of thing.

I use one in my home which requires a password/login to connect. Presumably this still isn't very secure? Take it that it would be a bad idea, for e.g., to use a hotel's network while staying there if you're going to be entering sensitive information?
Old 18-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Hockney
Online banking is done over a https connection so you shouldnt have any worries.

As long as your using WPA/WPA2 your as secure as your going to be using your wireless router. I also recommend using MAC filtering and only allowing the mac addresses of the computers your wanting to use your wireless network
Thanks.
Old 18-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Chip

There have been instances of stolen credentials from public wireless, but I would imagine its far rarer than the papers would have you believe.

Id certainly feel pretty happy using a wireless connection in mcdonalds or similar to do my banking.
Old 18-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Hockney

You could also use a secure VPN connection http://hotspotshield.com/ if your using your laptop at a public wifi spot

Last edited by Hockney; 18-11-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 18-11-2009, 12:58 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

Lots of people do, just like lots of people commit burglaries, but he asked if it was illegal or not, so I am just informing him about that query.

The penalty is potentially very high too:
What relevance does that compare to? Burglaries are crimes that you steal and don’t return.

You lend someone’s internet then you return. They are two different statements you can’t compare burglaries with lending.

If you was to walk into the home and remove there internet connection and box and not return then yes that’s perfectly fine.

Oh and using a wirless connection or lets say you use someone else’s internet via wirless then a Host signal/IP address would not be found and there is no way of telling who or when this said person on the laptop is using the internet.

The Comp of course has an IP address that’s a network IP rather than an internet connection Internet Provider Address. IPaddress. Even if they could gain the IP you can bounce it anyways, and you have the right to block your IP...

With some internet Fuss you can of course make it none traceable.
Old 18-11-2009, 01:00 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

There have been instances of stolen credentials from public wireless, but I would imagine its far rarer than the papers would have you believe.

Id certainly feel pretty happy using a wireless connection in mcdonalds or similar to do my banking.
With the correct Tools Any Bandet could gain whatever they like.
Deppends how good the hacker is.
Old 18-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by RSTurboSI
What relevance does that compare to?
Its also a crime that lots of people commit but that personally I wouldnt want to suffer the penalty for being caught doing.
(thats totally aside from the moral issues that would stop me doing such a thing anyway)
Old 18-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Hockney

Actually some routers keep info on which computer names have connected to the router, so for saying sake you live in a block of flats and notice that your router has logged a computer name of Petes-Laptop has used your wireless connection and your downstairs neighbour is named Pete than you know he's been using your wireless connection.

Oh and using a wirless connection or lets say you use someone else’s internet via wirless then a Host signal/IP address would not be found and there is no way of telling who or when this said person on the laptop is using the internet.
Old 18-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

if your connecting to the wireless hub, your on their network, and it isn't hard to access other computers on the same wireless hub network. ANYONE without a secure connection is asking for trouble !!!

ive shown m8's that i can get on their wireless network on my phone, if i had my laptop, i could do almost anything i wanted. They shit themselves, them i secure it for them, then i usually get a beer bought next time were out
Old 18-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Elwood

What relevance does that compare to? Burglaries are crimes that you steal and don’t return.

You lend someone’s internet then you return. They are two different statements you can’t compare burglaries with lending.

If you was to walk into the home and remove there internet connection and box and not return then yes that’s perfectly fine.
Exactly what are you returning in this instance?

I think you've missed the point. People with unsecured connections aren't lending anyone anything - using someone elses connection without their knowledge could be an offence under the fraud act i.e obtaining services dishonestly.
Old 18-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Elwood

I think you've missed the point. People with unsecured connections aren't lending anyone anything - using someone elses connection without their knowledge could be an offence under the fraud act i.e obtaining services dishonestly.
Its essentially similar to copyright laws, if you copy someone's CD and then give it to them back, you have still stolen from the artist concerned, even if you dont understand why, same with a wireless connection.
Old 18-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Elwood

Its essentially similar to copyright laws, if you copy someone's CD and then give it to them back, you have still stolen from the artist concerned, even if you dont understand why, same with a wireless connection.
I understand it, not so sure that RSTurboSI does........
Old 18-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Elwood
I understand it, not so sure that RSTurboSI does........
Sorry mate, wasnt saying "you" as in you personally, just a way of referring to someone in general.

I should really have put "if one doesnt understand" but it would have sounded a bit too posh for me, lol
Old 18-11-2009, 03:00 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

Actually some routers keep info on which computer names have connected to the router, so for saying sake you live in a block of flats and notice that your router has logged a computer name of Petes-Laptop has used your wireless connection and your downstairs neighbour is named Pete than you know he's been using your wireless connection.
All a Router is a Signal Box, nothing else. They send a signal from your Modem to your main router and then out to the distance it states. Nothing more nothing less.

A Router is a none function Database. You can Log into a Router and set conditions like Passwords and secure use but cant trail information, Your service provider can issue you with the information on request.

Copy right Theft is of course in some terms the same as Stealing correct, but has no Law developments unless its a register buisness. Such as Films and CD's.

I totaly understand its a Law Braking Crime. But holds no relivence to Robbing someones home. thats a large statment.

I've not missed any point. Here we go.

You leave A wallet full of 100Ł Notes = to 1,000.. Its in open air and you have protection over it been taken/Used... Yet people leave there Internet Router Open for others to gain acsess to. The Law is then in question.

You leave your car open, you leave the Keys inside the car, the car is then stolen and you report it to the police/insurance and its void

so your really asking for it when you leave the internet Router unsecure. lets be real
Old 18-11-2009, 03:07 PM
CF20
RS

Yes its illegal, just because someone leaves it unlocked don't give you the right just to take it

just like a unlocked car on the side of the road with the keys in the ignition
Old 18-11-2009, 03:11 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

LOL just because you find the keys to a car does not change the fact that steeling it is an illegal thing to do!
Old 18-11-2009, 03:14 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your idea of a router is totally wrong, its the access point which is the radio part
Old 18-11-2009, 03:17 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by CF20
Yes its illegal, just because someone leaves it unlocked don't give you the right just to take it

just like a unlocked car on the side of the road with the keys in the ignition
i never referred it to be fine todo so, i was stating what would happen if you left the keys in the car.. its the same as the internet. (i have my own net and Router. Just because you think '' its ok, its illegal to steal, someone aint going todo it...the simple fact is, secure the net.

Originally Posted by AlexF
LOL just because you find the keys to a car does not change the fact that steeling it is an illegal thing to do!
as qouted above.

Now when it goes to court and this sentence will come above, they will in no doute question if its a secure net or not, the only unsecure net should well be a cafe, which is given you the rights to use there internet.
Old 18-11-2009, 03:18 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by RANJ
your idea of a router is totally wrong, its the access point which is the radio part
didnt know a router plays tunes.
Old 18-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Chip

You leave your car open, you leave the Keys inside the car, the car is then stolen and you report it to the police/insurance and its void
FPMSL

No mate, if you report your car stolen to the police when the keys were left in it they dont view it as void, your insurance company will use it as a way to avoid paying out as you have broken your contract with them in terms of adequetely protecting the car, but it doesnt stop it being theft!

It amazes me how you can keep typing such long answers without actually getting ANYTHING correct, from the finer points of router operation to the law, statistically I would have though you would have to stumble on a correct bit of info sooner or later!
Old 18-11-2009, 03:27 PM
RSTurboSI
BANNED
BANNED

FPMSL

No mate, if you report your car stolen to the police when the keys were left in it they dont view it as void, your insurance company will use it as a way to avoid paying out as you have broken your contract with them in terms of adequetely protecting the car, but it doesnt stop it being theft!

It amazes me how you can keep typing such long answers without actually getting ANYTHING correct, from the finer points of router operation to the law, statistically I would have though you would have to stumble on a correct bit of info sooner or later!
Correct Or not, its my opinion. Sorry dude, the doors locked.

clearly stated it was NOT legal. At what point did you not understand? You Bumgrape
Old 18-11-2009, 03:29 PM
t4 and greys
cosworth gimp

i lived opposite a chinese resteraunt nr me and used there internet for over 3 years no problems
and i battered that royally lol
Old 18-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by t4 and greys
i lived opposite a chinese resteraunt nr me and used there internet for over 3 years no problems
and i battered that royally lol
Quality!

Reason I asked was that i was in the car on the laptop killing an hour in Edinburgh when i posted. Was connected to an orange livebox and thought they were a bit daft for not having it protected, then thought if i would get grief if caught.

I was finding about 9 different connections and only 3/4 were protected... pretty silly on their behalf.
Old 18-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Hockney

Well explain how my old Belkin Router when logged into the settings for it over http could tell you which computer names and mac address had been using it? My mate had the exact same router and when I went over to set and secure it up properly seen that one of his neighbours had been using his router while he had it on playing FIFA online on his PS3

All a Router is a Signal Box, nothing else. They send a signal from your Modem to your main router and then out to the distance it states. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 18-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Chip

Well explain how my old Belkin Router when logged into the settings for it over http could tell you which computer names and mac address had been using it? My mate had the exact same router and when I went over to set and secure it up properly seen that one of his neighbours had been using his router while he had it on playing FIFA online on his PS3
He cant explain, cause he doesnt know what he is on about, isnt that obvious?
Old 18-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Big-Dan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is illegal, even with a WEP/WPA key though not all routers are safe, you can use a data packet scanner software program like Backtrack to get the key within 5 mins or so depending on signal strength.

Big-Dan.
Old 18-11-2009, 06:20 PM
xrsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

used to do it on my phone at my mates old place all the time, obviously not for anything that would be out of the ordanary, Ft.com, passionford, ebay and youtube was about all i did but if i had a pc with wireless i could have got into their network easy as i bet the passwords were all the defaults!
Old 18-11-2009, 07:53 PM
dannyblackpool
Boost Builder

ive just looked at connected ips and i have 3 on my router, but only 2 laptops, does this mean ive a blagger on mine? ive a wireless printer,will that be 3rd ip? How do i find what ip my laptops are?
Old 18-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

rsturbosi, youve ammused me greatly... lol

and its nice to hear your opinion on what is right and wrong, unfortunately there is this thing called LAW which by its very definition is rather black or white

also do yourself favour and never explain IT to anyone again as if they have any kind of clue theyll probably just laugh in your face
Old 18-11-2009, 08:06 PM
stigger_darlo
Regular Contributor

sorry i dont understand this bit. i only have a router. no modem. so how am i able to use my wireless without one, which im doing right now
Old 18-11-2009, 08:32 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

on my phone it says "connect?" and then gives me lots of things to choose to connect ot the internet via

some of them are the sky modeo, with a little thingy next to it, and one of them is the neighbours sky box, with it's little thingy next to it
then there is one whih i can only assume is the fuckwit neighbour, so was using his for a while
and then he locked it so i couldn't

and now i can't connect to the sky thingy with the laptop, even thoug hit says it's connected