General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cosworth cylinder head plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 PM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosworth cylinder head plugs

Hi, does anyone know what size is the two small oil blanking plugs on the front and the back of the 4x4 cosworth cylinder head because mine seems to leaking oil from them.

That's a pic of a 2wd cyl head and I am pointing the location of the plugs. Theese are oil plugs correct? Because the head after some days of use fills the area of the spark plugs with oil and the iol seems to coming from them. I replaced the cover gasket by the way with a new one in case that it was gaskets fault...

Last edited by ybturbo; 04-11-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 05-11-2009, 01:34 PM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

Anyone knows what theese plugs are for?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Defo NOT oil plugs, the oil galleries run along the sides of the head each side, can be clearly seen as have a blanking plug at each front and read end.
The plugs you point to will most likely be gas plugs used during the special cosworth patented casting process, to eliminate air bubbles/problems with porosity.
Put on a cometic gasket and say good bye to leaks from this area, which is very common.
tabetha
Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 PM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by tabetha
Defo NOT oil plugs, the oil galleries run along the sides of the head each side, can be clearly seen as have a blanking plug at each front and read end.
The plugs you point to will most likely be gas plugs used during the special cosworth patented casting process, to eliminate air bubbles/problems with porosity.
Put on a cometic gasket and say good bye to leaks from this area, which is very common.
tabetha
Hi, I allready replaced the factory gasket with a cometic one but still no joy... theese plugs, even at the smallest amount of oil entering that area are allways full of oil but I understand that this can be done by accident correct? What else can I do to solve this?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
ybturbo
PassionFord Regular

Another question; Is it possible for the cylinder head cover to wrap or something? Anyway last time I removed the factory gasket I checked it and it was on full contact with the faces... The head gasket is good , I mean it's not loosing water or loosing pressure so the head faces must be good... The problem area is located above number 4 cylinder.

Last edited by ybturbo; 05-11-2009 at 06:47 PM.