General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cash in lieu question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cash in lieu question

Just wondered if anyone had been made a 'cash in lieu' offer from their insurers? I've had a bump and the quote the bodyshop came up with is frankly ridiculous, and will write the car off.

How much do the insurers take the piss?

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 02-11-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
andybradford
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Just wondered if anyone had been made a 'cash in lieu' offer from their insurers? I've had a bump and the quote the bodyshop came up with is frankly ridiculous, and will write the car off.

How much do the insurers take the piss?
some take the piss... who u insured with?

they probably would offer a cash in lieu if u asked em.... or charge you to keep the car 'retain the salvage'
Old 02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
robp-tt
ZETEC TURBO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its normaly about 60% of the value of the car they will pay out for it to be repared
Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

It's insured with Equity Red Star through Flux. Really though they'd fix it and was shocked with how much they reckon it will cost to fix, reckon I could do it for less than half!

They've already suggested cash in lieu as an option. Be intrigued to see what they offer, as surely any figure under the cars value saves them money!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if you take the offer will the car still be classified as a write off or not?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It's insured with Equity Red Star through Flux. Really though they'd fix it and was shocked with how much they reckon it will cost to fix, reckon I could do it for less than half!

They've already suggested cash in lieu as an option. Be intrigued to see what they offer, as surely any figure under the cars value saves them money!
Labour and a coutesy car incuded in that quote? A surefire way of ramping up the price.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
englandbrad
PassionFord Regular

sorry to be dumb but whats cash in lieu?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its when they claim its too much to repair so you claim a price YOU can get it repaired for and they pay you, your car wont be classed as a writeoff BUT theres no comebacks should the car have more damage
Old 02-11-2009, 08:08 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

I know the risks involved with cash in lieu, I just hope they make me a decent offer!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

why the fuck isnt thier stricter industry controls on bodyshops clearly overcharging???

Its not like its not a well known scam!!

Youd think the insurance companys would have wised up to this by now and have more of a control of the repair pricing, after all its in both thiers and the car owners interests that repair costs are not inflated.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
dojj

certain places charge 1/3 of the price they do to insurance companies to do joe public jobs, so no wonder it's so easy to write a car off
Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
why the fuck isnt thier stricter industry controls on bodyshops clearly overcharging???

Youd think the insurance companys would have wised up to this by now and have more of a control of the repair pricing, after all its in both thiers and the car owners interests that repair costs are not inflated.
I always wonder that! It was their approved bodyshop as well. You'd think they'd want to keep a lid on costs not let the garages constantly take the piss.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

exactly dojj wheres the competition???

I dont see how its in the interests of the body shop to take the piss like that as they just wont get the business when the car is written off.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

You ARE entitled to get the car repaired wherever you like though - all you have to do is present the quotation and invoice to the insurance co.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:24 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You all think that bodyshops are expensive now, just wait another six months.

There is a new industry standard being implemented currently called PAS125. It will kill off a lot of smaller bodyshops (my place has just passed it and has cost us over Ł23k so far). Things that you would not normally have to replace (or would charge for) all have to be done. Nuts and bolts, fitting whole assemblies instead of sections, the list is endless.

A Ł2k job could now become nearer Ł3k because of this new "standard" and all the extra bits involved and there is nothing that the bodyshops can do about it if they want to keep their accreditation. A lot of cars are going to become uneconomical to repair now when they would easily have been this time last year.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 PM
cjwood555

who has issued this PAS125 standard?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cjwood555
who has issued this PAS125 standard?
It is all done through the British Standards Institute (BSI) and Thatcham.

Some more information here:
http://www.pas125.info/

http://www.pasplus.co.uk/pasplus/about_pas125.aspx

http://www.upd.co.uk/Solutions/Manag...editation.aspx
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver

The reason is pretty simple.

Say you take your car in for a new cambelt you'll probably get charged Ł50 an hour. Bodywork takes HOURS, but 99% of garages have a painter who is paid sub Ł10 per hour, and the "owner" then takes the profit, so prices jobs to joe public at probably 20-30 per hour. When its an insurance job they price it at Ł50-80 per hour and makes a killing. They also usually use genuine parts rather than pattern parts, don't use filler use new panels etc etc to make the job easier for them rather than cheaper for the customer. IMO perfectly legitimate and what everybody does. I.e. builders etc when working with insurance.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 PM
1982mof

New honda's are the worst, say its a new bumper you need a genuine 1 comes painted and is double if not more than a pattern part would be. Yet 99.9% of the time the colour never matches so they add on painting on top so a Ł95 quid pattern civic bumper plus painting that joe public would use becomes almost Ł500 for a genuine part that a insureance company would insist on being used.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
as355f1

insurance companys will only pay Ł27.50 an hour to bodyshops.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:10 PM
1982mof

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
The reason is pretty simple.

Say you take your car in for a new cambelt you'll probably get charged Ł50 an hour. Bodywork takes HOURS, but 99% of garages have a painter who is paid sub Ł10 per hour, and the "owner" then takes the profit, so prices jobs to joe public at probably 20-30 per hour. When its an insurance job they price it at Ł50-80 per hour and makes a killing. They also usually use genuine parts rather than pattern parts, don't use filler use new panels etc etc to make the job easier for them rather than cheaper for the customer. IMO perfectly legitimate and what everybody does. I.e. builders etc when working with insurance.
new panels will always need some repair doing to them
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i about 3 months ago got a nice little dropsy from our local councils insurers aig.

some dozy council carer rounded the corner and bopped me bumper on a car of mine,great i thought thats a earner there.
i got 2 quotes from bodyshops and then submitted my own which was cheeper,that threw the daft moo at the insurers who started questioning whay i did that,i told her i could repair the car bumper,tail light etc myself and my price was cheeper than the others anyway,next she said because they could claim the vat back they would pay me the estimate i put in less vat on parts which was less than the quotes and i got nearly 700 quid for a bumper and furniture and tail light.
i looked on ebay and saw one in colour in preston for a ton all in and when i got there it was scruffy and my car was a minter so i would of ended up painting it so i just repaired my bumper and did very nice thanks very much.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You bump the ST200 ?

Steve
Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Brian ST-2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

^^^^^^^^^

Think you'll find Dan's ST200 is already in the great car park in the sky since he broke it over the last couple of months.

So which one was it Dan, the Fiesta or your Focus.?

Brian
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

Insurers HAVE to pay out to get the car fix'd if thats what you want, that what you pay your insurance for.

The bin truck hit our 1972 mini when it was parked outside our house, the insurance wanted to write it off, but we refused and told them to get it fix'd! they paid for it to be fix'd down the local rover dealers (it was years ago!)
Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 AM
snOOpy86

Ian is right, this pas125 bollocks is really putting a strain on repairing some cars, not to mention the amout of extra paperwork and time that goes in to do a poxy estimate now!
Dan it is not in anyones intrest to write a car of, the bodyshop will get paid about Ł75 for the estimate and any other charges included inc c.car recovery etc.

As for renewing panels over repairing panels, if a panel can be repaired it should with in reason, cutting of panels and door skins can lead to rust issues in the future and no one wants to do a job twice! The other reason is money, there is alot more profit to be made in repairing panels than the profit you will get for a new panel.

In my experience ERS have been a vary fair company to work with and i hope you get the result you are looking for.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Brian ST24
^^^^^^^^^

Think you'll find Dan's ST200 is already in the great car park in the sky since he broke it over the last couple of months.

So which one was it Dan, the Fiesta or your Focus.?

Brian
Neither! It's a Mk3 Mondeo Estate I bought a fortnight ago! Bodywork wise it needs bumpers (poss just respray on rear) wing, rear panel filling (not damaged paint, just pushed in) and the corner of the bonnet is bent.

Also needs 2 wheels and front wishbones/struts which I can get cheaply off eBay and fit myself.

Don't know how much the bodywork will be but the suspension can be sorted for under Ł300.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM
snOOpy86

Ask them for a copy of the estimate, or at least a break down.
Suspension can be a bit of a grey area as you have to guarantee nothing goes wrong in 3 years (for us at least) so we tend to replace everything... nuts/bolts/bearings/hubs etc etc
Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

I had cash in lieu on my fiesta a few years ago, it was either take that or have the car written off!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

I didnt think you had much of a choice with insurers these days, ie they have us over a barrel and if you are lucky enough to get a decent repair qoute or cash in lieu then your lucky.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I drive a astra 1.4 auto that was "written off" around 3 years ago, keep forgetting to fix the damage as can't see it unless looking really hard, it's only a L reg but got quote from expensive place for repair and they quoted for a new o/s/r 1/4, so I pocketed Ł600, car only cost Ł200.
I only ever normally buy cat d, for this very reason.
You can also repair it yourself and be paid to do it, by submitting your own invoice.
tabetha
Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 PM
natehall

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cozzfather
i about 3 months ago got a nice little dropsy from our local councils insurers aig.

some dozy council carer rounded the corner and bopped me bumper on a car of mine,great i thought thats a earner there.
i got 2 quotes from bodyshops and then submitted my own which was cheeper,that threw the daft moo at the insurers who started questioning whay i did that,i told her i could repair the car bumper,tail light etc myself and my price was cheeper than the others anyway,next she said because they could claim the vat back they would pay me the estimate i put in less vat on parts which was less than the quotes and i got nearly 700 quid for a bumper and furniture and tail light.
i looked on ebay and saw one in colour in preston for a ton all in and when i got there it was scruffy and my car was a minter so i would of ended up painting it so i just repaired my bumper and did very nice thanks very much.
thereby claiming back the VAT from someone who was not VAT registered - meaning someone is breaking the law
Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 PM
dojj

Neither! It's a Mk3 Mondeo Estate I bought a fortnight ago! Bodywork wise it needs bumpers (poss just respray on rear) wing, rear panel filling (not damaged paint, just pushed in) and the corner of the bonnet is bent.

Also needs 2 wheels and front wishbones/struts which I can get cheaply off eBay and fit myself.

Don't know how much the bodywork will be but the suspension can be sorted for under Ł300.
i've got front and rear bumpers for an estate if you want them, although not zetec z rear i've got a zetec s front, estate rear, 2 fronts wings

although the rear panel will be a bitch to put right as it's so big, everything is going to show up

i've been quoted Ł300+ vat to get my rear 1/4 painted when one of the drivers opened the van door into it, and it's not even dented, just piant damage, but because the panel is so big they need to blend into the door and tailgate and bumper, so this bumps the price up

bonnet i can't do though, although i'm sure plenty of mndeo's end up with bent ones as i've never seen one in the scrapy, or on ebay currently, that's not had either a front or a back and front end smash up
Old 04-11-2009, 10:03 AM
fish99

I had a result with this once.

I had a series 2 and some numpty motorcyclist decided to launch his bike into the side of it on a roundabout. The car needed a new door, bumper, wheel and bonnet, so I took it to fords for a quote. Fords said it would cost Ł2500 to repair the damage. I thought, well I cant afford that at this time as it needed fixing straight away so ook it to my mate. He did a full repaint on the car, new door and 90 spec front bumper and charged me Ł800...bargain. The insurance company phone me a week or so later asking me about getting the car repaired, so I told them I had it done by a mate. They said they would send me out a cheque for an in lieu payment.. The next morning a cheque lands on my doorstep for Ł2500... result. So I went out and treated it to a nice set of 17"s and spunked the rest
Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by dojj
i've got front and rear bumpers for an estate if you want them, although not zetec z rear i've got a zetec s front, estate rear, 2 fronts wings
Cool, that's worth knowing. I'm going to see what the insurance company come back with. It 'may' be in my interest to let them write it off and buy the car back. I'll see what the lieu offer is first though, as it may be less grief to accept that, than have to get it MoT's and VIC'd - especially as I MoT'd it less than a fortnight ago!!