General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Pictures of my clutch that was slipping, what would cause it?

Search this Thread

Old 26-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pictures of my clutch that was slipping, what would cause it?

Some of you may remember that I stupidly fitted a new clutch from Ford to my cosworth and it slipped after only 2 miles. Yesterday I finally got the clutch out and we could see high shiny spots on the friction plate and the spings in the plate are loose

Flywheel still looks mint

This clutch has covered no more than 15 miles and the car has never ever been booted or made real boost so what caused it? A faulty plate? I've got a new uprated clutch to go on but I am confused about what has happened in such a short space of time with just normal driving

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 26-10-2009, 02:03 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The springs are always loose they are a damper really for when you engage the clutch.

Cant see any heat spots from where it would of been slipping?

Did you get the flywheel skimmed before fitting?

what sort of power is the car running, if its way above standard maybe the clutch isnt up to the job?

other than in-correct fitment (somehow?) I cant see any other reason why it would slip, was it under normal driving or foot down on boost slipping?

are you sure the clutch is fully engaging?
Old 26-10-2009, 02:06 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or are you sure you clutch is fully engaging? as in the clutch cable is not to tight?

Last edited by clarke5700; 26-10-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 26-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Touring Car Spares
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not un-common for the clutch ratchet pawl on the pedal to allow slipping , i would suggest thats a possible cause ,looking at the clutch it shows no signs of heat or stress does it ??
Old 26-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can't be sure it wasn't fully disengaging, I wouldn't know how to test that.

The flywheel was skimmed before the clutch was fitted and it hasn't done many miles since

Nothing really shows any sign of heat and I wouldn't expect it to because it happened under normal driving in 3rd, 4th and 5th as soon as it started making boost, .5 bar was enough to make it slip and on a stage 3 car .5 bar on light throttle can't be any more than standard power. There is a tiny dark spot on the pressure plate but that's it.

It's hard to see in the pictures but on the friction plate on the side that goes against the pressure plate there seems to be high spots (the dark patches) and they are smooth like glass The side that goes against the flywheel doesn't look as bad as the other side as you can see.
Old 26-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Genuine ford clutch"

Which version - the old original AP friction plate or the new Saches variant?

If the latter, bin it

Woodford sell the original AP clutch that is no longer available at ford - I have one in my cossie and doesn't slip at all - 380bhp and 4x4 too
Old 26-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Was it a genuine Ford clutch? A couple of my mates have fitted them in their saph's, both stage 3's and they are also having trouble with them slipping as they come on boost.

On my mate Bens saph we replaced the clutch with a genuine Ford (which is made by AP) pressure plate but with an AP 6 paddle centre plate and again had issues with it slipping on boost. A new clutch cable was fitted along with a new ratchet and pawl. No change. The flywheel was also skimmed as well before the clutches were fitted.

I know from experience that a standard, genuine clutch should be able to handle stage 3 without drama so I'm wondering if the latest batch of Ford clutches come with weaker pressure plates as the clutch pedal on both my mates saph's are VERY light which suggests to me that they may not have sufficient clamping force.

I had a standard clutch fitted on my saph at 450 bhp and I only changed it due to it starting to judder so fitted an AP 6 paddle clutch to be on the safe side. The original clutch didn't slip at all but the pedal was slightly heavier which is what makes me think the pressure plates are weaker.
Old 26-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Graceland
"Genuine ford clutch"

Which version - the old original AP friction plate or the new Saches variant?

If the latter, bin it

Woodford sell the original AP clutch that is no longer available at ford - I have one in my cossie and doesn't slip at all - 380bhp and 4x4 too
This was a genuine Ford supplied AP one and it was a standard one in there before and it was holding up fine with 350bhp on a 2 wheel drive until it got some oil on it.

This one slipped straight away before I'd even given it any beans
Old 26-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Kitchen Devil
Was it a genuine Ford clutch? A couple of my mates have fitted them in their saph's, both stage 3's and they are also having trouble with them slipping as they come on boost.

On my mate Bens saph we replaced the clutch with a genuine Ford (which is made by AP) pressure plate but with an AP 6 paddle centre plate and again had issues with it slipping on boost. A new clutch cable was fitted along with a new ratchet and pawl. No change. The flywheel was also skimmed as well before the clutches were fitted.

I know from experience that a standard, genuine clutch should be able to handle stage 3 without drama so I'm wondering if the latest batch of Ford clutches come with weaker pressure plates as the clutch pedal on both my mates saph's are VERY light which suggests to me that they may not have sufficient clamping force.

I had a standard clutch fitted on my saph at 450 bhp and I only changed it due to it starting to judder so fitted an AP 6 paddle clutch to be on the safe side. The original clutch didn't slip at all but the pedal was slightly heavier which is what makes me think the pressure plates are weaker.
Exactly that, Ford supplied AP with AP markings. I have an uprated AP to go in there now and you can see the difference but it still confuses me how this one slipped without even being given some abuse. There is no evidence of it overheating and you can only see one mark on the cover (left hand side of the photo) and the clutch is shiny in patches on that side of the friction plate.

My old clutch was either motorcraft or AP that came out (can't remember exactly but I know it was standard) and it was find and it had been abused.

It's a mystery to me