General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

focus rs engine in mk3 fiesta?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Andy Tucker
Welsh And Proud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focus rs engine in mk3 fiesta?

has anyone done a fiesta mk3 with a focus rs engine? is so any pics? will it be hard to get the engine in?

thanks,andy
Old 12-10-2009, 06:54 PM
p17fld
Advanced PassionFord User

2.0 duratec or 2.5 volvo?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Andy Tucker
Welsh And Proud

the 2.0 duratec mate
Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres been plenty of Zetecs in Mk3 fiestas, which is all the 'duratec' is isn't it?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Originally Posted by Charlie Chalk
Theres been plenty of Zetecs in Mk3 fiestas, which is all the 'duratec' is isn't it?

yes!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM
xrsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Munch
yes!
its a black top zetec so few diferences to the silver top and not as easy to get in but still very doable! hardest bit is sorting out how you want to mount it and making sure that the belt runs right for the water pump.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

heres mine ... engine and box

Name:  garyspics981.jpg
Views: 2884
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  garyspics556.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  garyspics561.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  99.1 KB
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Andy Tucker
Welsh And Proud

pukka engine swaps boys,but i have never seen a focus rs engine in a mk3 fiesta.

just wounderd if any one has done 1.

whats the pros and cons of a silvertop to a black top?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

the top pic IS a focus RS engine and gearbox...
Old 12-10-2009, 07:48 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Andy Tucker
pukka engine swaps boys,but i have never seen a focus rs engine in a mk3 fiesta.

just wounderd if any one has done 1.

whats the pros and cons of a silvertop to a black top?
you have now lol and ive been running it for over two years... the blacktop is a far better engine imo. pro's better rod angle, solid lifters, better flowing head, better oil pump and a better sump .

con's smaller main caps... (but know one can say at what point the become weak)

Last edited by crazycage; 14-10-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 PM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my friend had one will see if he,s got any pic,s
Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I would love to do this conversion.My mrs has a mk3 fiesta and i would love to put a focus turbo engine in it cause ive never seen it done.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Andy Tucker
Welsh And Proud

do you think it will be a tight fit for the engine and gear box in the fez engine bay?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
the top pic IS a focus RS engine and gearbox...
how hard was it to make the frs box's cabellinkage fit? what parts from the frs do you need to use be very intrest to know how to do this
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

do you think it will be a tight fit for the engine and gear box in the fez engine bay?
nah u get mk3's with zetecs in already dont ya so it'll bolt in no porblem, you just need xr2i 16v, si or rs1800 bits and boots pumps, mounts etc etc
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Andy Tucker
Welsh And Proud

how was it with the engine mounts and the instal of the gearbox
Old 13-10-2009, 06:45 AM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by marky_g
nah u get mk3's with zetecs in already dont ya so it'll bolt in no porblem, you just need xr2i 16v, si or rs1800 bits and boots pumps, mounts etc etc
none of what you just mentioned is of any use.
Old 13-10-2009, 06:46 AM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

does the it look tight in the pic's .
Old 13-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Andy Tucker
Welsh And Proud

what mounts would you use?
Old 13-10-2009, 04:58 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what mounts would you use?
take your pic.. theres a modified fiesta turbo mount a mondeo mount and two focus mounts on mine.
Old 13-10-2009, 05:16 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycage
you have now lol and ive been running it for over two years... the blacktop is a far better engine imo. better rod angle solid lifters and a better flowing head.
oh crazycage just cause your running the black top engine doesnt mean its far better than the silvertop engine , if your gonna state the good points then i think its fare that you tell people the bad points like the mains bearing caps are a major weak point if your going big bhp as they are half the size of the silver top bottomend. also the cylinder head will flow slightly better than the silver top head but the silvertop head matched the blacktop head and we have seen this on my engine as ian promised me a genuine 460bhp engine and i got an extra 62 bhp and i know theres more to come so with the right head mods there is hardly no difference and has yet to be provern in dyno figures or on the road, i know will gallops engine is the only zetec in the country that has a genuine 600+bhp which is a black top but the fact remains that the most powerful zetec turbos that are built by normal everyday people and not professional racers are silver tops FACT !
the black top does have some good starting points like they are easy to pickup , come with a race style baffled sump , and one of the most important parts which is the oil pump as you can buy billet gears for .
as for you fitting one andy it shouldnt be to hard but the silver top would simply just bolt in with fiesta 1.6si/fiesta rs1800 engine mounts and all the power steering etc so basically alot easier . your still gonna have a few headaches if you want to use the focus rs gearbox

hope this helps

cheers paul
Old 13-10-2009, 06:13 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
oh crazycage just cause your running the black top engine doesnt mean its far better than the silvertop engine , if your gonna state the good points then i think its fare that you tell people the bad points like the mains bearing caps are a major weak point if your going big bhp as they are half the size of the silver top bottomend. also the cylinder head will flow slightly better than the silver top head but the silvertop head matched the blacktop head and we have seen this on my engine as ian promised me a genuine 460bhp engine and i got an extra 62 bhp and i know theres more to come so with the right head mods there is hardly no difference and has yet to be provern in dyno figures or on the road, i know will gallops engine is the only zetec in the country that has a genuine 600+bhp which is a black top but the fact remains that the most powerful zetec turbos that are built by normal everyday people and not professional racers are silver tops FACT !
the black top does have some good starting points like they are easy to pickup , come with a race style baffled sump , and one of the most important parts which is the oil pump as you can buy billet gears for .
as for you fitting one andy it shouldnt be to hard but the silver top would simply just bolt in with fiesta 1.6si/fiesta rs1800 engine mounts and all the power steering etc so basically alot easier . your still gonna have a few headaches if you want to use the focus rs gearbox

hope this helps

cheers paul
ive never seen a set of main caps fail on a black top feel free to post up any pic's up if you can can find any???.

whats the most power you know of from a standard silvertop head??

and you talk about all these big power silvertops but i only know of one that has ever done any thing and thats lucas and his head had about £2000 spent on it fact.

so the only plus side the silvertop has that i see is, its easyer to fit and has bigger mains

the blacktop has a better sump
a better oil pump
a better flowing head
soild lifters
better rod angle

and my engine was built by me in my garage and mapped by a friend and so far is showing up most things on the strip build by big name tuners!!! and its only going to get faster.

Last edited by crazycage; 13-10-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 13-10-2009, 10:25 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycage
ive never seen a set of main caps fail on a black top feel free to post up any pic's up if you can can find any???.

whats the most power you know of from a standard silvertop head??

and you talk about all these big power silvertops but i only know of one that has ever done any thing and thats lucas and his head had about £2000 spent on it fact.

so the only plus side the silvertop has that i see is, its easyer to fit and has bigger mains

the blacktop has a better sump
a better oil pump
a better flowing head
soild lifters
better rod angle

and my engine was built by me in my garage and mapped by a friend and so far is showing up most things on the strip build by big name tuners!!! and its only going to get faster.

why do jay racing make bigger mains cap then! maybe someone knows something you dont and has invested time , money and machining cost of making these items. as for a standard silver top head i would say about 300/320 bhp and thats solid advice off ian who has brought a dynoflow flow bench , has done 100s of hours research and development and uses rick woods who is probably the best cylinder head tuner in the uk, will that do matey , was lucas head built by ian ? cause if it was then more like £1300 . also ian is not a tuner , it was a hobby like you and me and if it wasnt for people like ian you most probably wouldnt even know half the stuff about the zetec turbo as he invented most of it lol.
my engine would of been on the road years ago but iam making sure that everything is as i want it , doing something new , different and hopefully pushing the boundries a bit futher not only with the engine but the car also and this cost big money. the power your running aint the same as paul roberts your simply running more so drop it down to 280bhp and when you beat his times i will be the first to pat you on the back and say well done . i aint gonna come on hear and bitch but i know who i believe and thats mr ian howell who is simply the best zetec turbo builder in the game , someone who has pushed boundries , some who has done research and development , not just someone who has simply copied ians work over the years and is now claiming his work as there own . you say your showing up most things , but things have moved on in engine building in a massive way since 5/6 years ago when these times where set , maybe they would be faster but i know pauls car is on the road again so only time will tell

cheers paul
Old 13-10-2009, 11:34 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
why do jay racing make bigger mains cap then! maybe someone knows something you dont and has invested time , money and machining cost of making these items. as for a standard silver top head i would say about 300/320 bhp and thats solid advice off ian who has brought a dynoflow flow bench , has done 100s of hours research and development and uses rick woods who is probably the best cylinder head tuner in the uk, will that do matey , was lucas head built by ian ? cause if it was then more like £1300 . also ian is not a tuner , it was a hobby like you and me and if it wasnt for people like ian you most probably wouldnt even know half the stuff about the zetec turbo as he invented most of it lol.
my engine would of been on the road years ago but iam making sure that everything is as i want it , doing something new , different and hopefully pushing the boundries a bit futher not only with the engine but the car also and this cost big money. the power your running aint the same as paul roberts your simply running more so drop it down to 280bhp and when you beat his times i will be the first to pat you on the back and say well done . i aint gonna come on hear and bitch but i know who i believe and thats mr ian howell who is simply the best zetec turbo builder in the game , someone who has pushed boundries , some who has done research and development , not just someone who has simply copied ians work over the years and is now claiming his work as there own . you say your showing up most things , but things have moved on in engine building in a massive way since 5/6 years ago when these times where set , maybe they would be faster but i know pauls car is on the road again so only time will tell

cheers paul
so at what point do they fail then ????? i really cant see 450-500hp being a problem .

you like the old silvertop... i like the new blacktop which this thread WAS all about .

and im not going de-tune my engine just to get a pat on the back from you or anyone .pauls car is only fast on the 1/4 because it was silly light my car is a road car that gets used every day and has every bit of trim/spec that it left the factory with and still does 12s 1/4s . every fwd car on here that has ever one 12s was stripped out track /strip cars.

and i dont think i copied ians work and claimed to mine how may blacktop has ian built you keep saying all his engines are silvertops?

both manifolds on my engine were built by me and the exhaust system, the turbo is also something that ian wouldnt use he would put a t34 on it, i also run a focus rs box something else he never done in a fiesta

and my cr is way higher than what ian would run at 8.7.1. and i have also ran with 10.3.1 and and 9.2.1 .
all of what i know about zetecs is from my own testing on my own car

i found the safe limit of the oil pump by killing for my self !! not from ian or anyone else.
i found the out the hard way about the valve springs for my self aswell.
and im yet to find the limit of the standard head and cam as ive just maxed out my injectors .

Last edited by crazycage; 14-10-2009 at 03:49 PM.