General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

anyone changed career?

Search this Thread

Old 13-10-2009, 08:05 PM
n13los
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone changed career?

looking for peoples opinions or advice please

i work as a parts advisor/manager at a truck dealership at the moment, i've been doing this sort of job (cars & trucks) since leaving school 10 years ago. i've always enjoyed my work, i think mainly because of my interest in cars but lately i find it is boring me senseless.

not sure if its the place i work or the length of time i've been doing the job, so i've been thinking about a change.

not sure what i want to do yet but would like to get out of the office, last year i did an evening course in fabrication & welding which i really enjoyed but i am no where near skilled enough to get into that.

the other problem i have is my current job pays a decent wage, i could afford to take a small pay cut but i couldn't drop down to trianee wages.

so, has anyone ever found themselves in the same situation? what did you do? do you regret doing it??

cheers Neil
Old 13-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Mint FRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Surely the question to ask yourself, is it a good time to change i.e. Economic climate...?
Old 13-10-2009, 08:19 PM
n13los
PassionFord Regular

i know, but nobody knows how long it will go on. so how long do carry on being unhappy before i become i contagious demotivated whinger? the type of person i hate.
Old 13-10-2009, 08:25 PM
seannygoat
RST Fiesta

i'm in a similar position m8. been workin as a builder for 5 years plus, but ever since leaving school wanted to be a mechanic.

the oppartunity has now come up 4 me to do this but it means a little pay cut, and a change of work completely. but i think rather than b unhappy in wat your doin u should just go 4 the change!!!
Old 13-10-2009, 08:44 PM
ShandzS1

I`m the same, been in the hgv trade since i left school, and feel i`m being held back where iam. Its just day in day out same old.....
My dad has just started off as a property developer, and he sudjests i do a plumbing night course as its hard to get a decent one these days.
And as i say, "change is good"!!!
As everyone on here will know what its like when u change ur motor......
Old 13-10-2009, 08:59 PM
pacwest
Puller of the Wrench

The safe path leads to stagnation.
Old 13-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

do training at night school while your still working. 2/3 years down the road and the economy will be a lot better off than now and you will be in a better place to get some experience in a new trade before jacking in a decent paid job.

If you do it, nows the time to do it as your still young enough to have a full second career as well as planning for your long term future.
Old 13-10-2009, 09:25 PM
hughy

im the same mad for a change and work is getting less an less by the day and im heading off to oz for 4 weeks at christmas so what ever happen's after that, think it just the driving 4 hours to dublin every friday and sunday ust really fed up of it all.. need to enjoy life more aswel, hugh
Old 14-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

I'd been in the motor trade in one form or another for about 10 years and was beginning to despise it, struck a lucky break with a guy i was fitting some Parrot kits for and now I'm a locksmith!!
Basic pay is more than i was on before and I can easily double my earnings doing call out work
Old 14-10-2009, 06:52 AM
mackers

Im an electrician and have been doing it since leaving school, so around 9 years. I worked for the same place for about the first five years but got the itch and has lead to me not really liking it anymore. I started a degree in electrical engineering, hoping to go into electrical building services, doing it at nights through open university. I`m currently unemployed because of the recession but doing the course has kept me sain with something to do during the day. Just go for it you wont regret changing, you can always go back to what you were at so nothing to lose.
Old 14-10-2009, 08:49 AM
bristol_fez

I am just about to make the switch, i have got myself a full time bar job which will give me the days off i need to go to college but will still earn full time wages. People have said the timing is bad, but i personally think it is the best time, when the economy starts picking up you will be already on your way.
Old 14-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Barry_GTi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in IT for about 7 years, fucking hated it, so now I have been a Mechanic for 3.5 years on VW, Audi and Porsche. I love my work most days, but management are a pack of arseholes, that's not a fault of the job really though.

Go for it I say, I earn MASSIVELY less than I used to at the age of 21 and I am 30 now but much happier in life.