General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

White van men!!! learn how 2 drive safely!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009 | 12:31 PM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

Default White van men!!! learn how 2 drive safely!!!

I was on my way out this morning, driving along a road in shepton mallet, i was doing about 45 mph, the road was really wet. I was going round a bend not a sharp one but u cant see whats coming ahead of u till half way round, next thing i see is a van over taking a lorry!
All what happened next happened so quickly, started cadence breaking so not 2 lock the wheels up, but was'nt slowing down quick enough, so bit harder on the brakes got in a skid, ended up sliding off the road on to the grass verge and going straight in to a hedge. The lorry stopped and so did a car who saw what happend to see how i was. The van was no where to be seen. I have never been so shaken up in my life!
This could of been alot worse, at that speed and the size of his van it does'nt bear thinking about if my daughter was in the car with me.
Few scratchs on my car and steering feels abit odd at the moment, so got to get it checked, apart from that all ok now!
Old 05-10-2009 | 12:54 PM
Brian ST-2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Feel for you. I was up your way on Saturday picking up some gear from Dan, and all the roads round there seem to be 50 limits maximum so the guy must have been speeding as well as dangerous driving.........

Shame no one got his reg cos you could report him for effectively leaving the scene of an 'accident' which he caused.
Old 05-10-2009 | 01:07 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

being the psycho that i am i would have stood my ground (still braking like) therefore forcing said white van man to do something stupid to avoid a head on or seeing if hes got the onions to go head on into another vehicle.

but then i dont attach much value to my life so you might not want to do that
Old 05-10-2009 | 01:14 PM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

im just gutted that i never got his number plate and the fact it made me late for an interview i had, which ment i did'nt get the job!
if i had'nt of skidded off the road n he had hit me it would not of been a pretty sight. only got a smallish car n dont think it would of held up 2 well.
Old 05-10-2009 | 01:17 PM
gorillasnot
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
being the psycho that i am i would have stood my ground (still braking like) therefore forcing said white van man to do something stupid to avoid a head on or seeing if hes got the onions to go head on into another vehicle.

crazy mofo!

Ryan
Old 05-10-2009 | 01:18 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Some white van drivers are absolute idiots. I'm seriously careful in mine because your view is massively restricted in a van compared to a car, and I've seen so many accidents running up and down the A1 over the years.

Hope you feel better soon. I've had a few scrapes in my time (especially in the winter) and I know it does shake you up.
Old 05-10-2009 | 01:22 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

glad to hear it was just a scare and not worse, some w*nk drivers out there.
Old 05-10-2009 | 01:25 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

How many white van drivers would have deliberately head on crashed into you knowing its a garunteed conviction of death by dangerous/manslaughter and garunteed jail time??? they are stupid but not that stupid.
Old 05-10-2009 | 01:26 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

being the psycho that i am i would have stood my ground :
I don't doubt that for a second - But with a kid in the car your priorities change!
Old 05-10-2009 | 02:22 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i drive a white van!!!! an im sure i can drive just fine
Old 05-10-2009 | 02:40 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

sorry to hear of this but please dont tar us all with the same brush, were not all bad toy know!!
Old 05-10-2009 | 02:52 PM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

i know ur not all the same, seems iv met most of the bad 1's lol this just just plain dangerous though 2day. even if ur driving a car, would u over take a lorry when there is a blind corner ahead of u??
Old 05-10-2009 | 02:56 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There's loads of idiots on the roads, I see them every day.
What annoys me is people on their mobile phones on roundabouts so they haven't got a spare hand to indicate with. It's illegal you knobbers!
Old 05-10-2009 | 03:00 PM
Rich_bloor
rich_bloor@hotmail.com

warren, i suggest you buy a tank m8 you will be safer

I drove a white van for 3 years, and never got into any trouble like that. The closest i came to an accident was when i was following a flat bed transit up the A50 and a bloody old 3 seater settee fell off the back of it and came strait for me, i swerved round it and the bloke just carried on, he didn't even know!
Old 05-10-2009 | 03:19 PM
mozzy
Ford for life

Glad your alright Joy and you never had Bridget in the car, I will pop over on my day off and take a look at the dodgey steering for you if you havent sorte it before, Did any of the pink stickers fall off
Old 05-10-2009 | 03:23 PM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

Originally Posted by mozzy
Glad your alright Joy and you never had Bridget in the car, I will pop over on my day off and take a look at the dodgey steering for you if you havent sorte it before, Did any of the pink stickers fall off
cheers that would be good, my mate who normal looks at my car is away on holiday. nope none of the stickers came off! lol yeah im glad i never had bridget in the car, dont bare thinking about.
Old 05-10-2009 | 03:30 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

too many tales of peole who crash avoiding a crash and then can't claim of anyone who caused the crash

when i was a bus driver, if you got in my way, you got twatted, pure and simple, there was no way i was going to get done for killing loads of punters by slaming on the brakes because you were driving like a twat

as dan says though, it's all different with your kids in the car
Old 05-10-2009 | 03:35 PM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

i used to be a bus driver, so i know about that.
i did everything i could 2 avoid crashing, if i was in the bus then whole different story again, like they teach u cant just break n take it off the road, just gotta do what u can 2 slow the impact.
gone over it in my head all day n the only thing i could of done different was 2 go on a different road or go at a different time, when u go round a corner, the last thing u expect is 2 c a van heading 2wards u!
Old 05-10-2009 | 03:43 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

if i ever drive on company time, which tbh is pretty rare, i always take my time, its not my time im wasting is it?!
Old 05-10-2009 | 04:56 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have driven a white van for years and hate the"white Van Man" shit , load of bollox.
I drive a lot better than most of the arse holes out there.
Old 05-10-2009 | 05:15 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by righthooker
i have driven a white van for years and hate the"white Van Man" shit , load of bollox.
agreed, i used to drive a van and there a twats in all cars, vans, buses etc, just loads of twats out there, full stop!
Old 05-10-2009 | 05:32 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Rich_bloor
warren, i suggest you buy a tank m8 you will be safer
nah i wont be any safer as we are talking about risks you cant control. If its a choice between going off the road into a ditch/tree versus taking the bastard trying to kill you with you in a head on then thats what i'll do. If it kills me so be it (but at least my family would get a massive pay out in court ) and if i live, quids in as its totally his fault.

At least on the road you can carry out a controlled emergency stop and with modern cars the safety cell will help a fair bit and knowing most "tosser white van man" if hes the kind of driver who dangerously overtakes, then hes unlikely to wear a seatbelt so he'll come off just as bad if not worse when his corpse is flung from the vehicle.

going off the road to the left into the unknown where there could be trees, solid walls, ditches to cartwheel you etc... no thanks!!! No where in the highway code or RTA does it say you should leave the road to avoid an accident. Yes its a natural reaction for many to swerve and leave the road but i wouldnt, certainly not when im in the right.

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
I don't doubt that for a second - But with a kid in the car your priorities change!
the kid wasnt in the car......
Old 05-10-2009 | 06:08 PM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

Originally Posted by righthooker
yeah i know but its like everything else. only takes a couple 2 get everyone a name. same as alot of women drivers give the rest of us a bad name, few bad van drivers give the rest a bad name, few bad bus driverss give the rest a bad name. the only reason we dont comment on the good van drivers is cus they are driving safe we dont tend 2 notice them! as they are doing no harm.
Old 05-10-2009 | 06:28 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

to be fair i never brake or fuck all when someone comes at me head on in lorry,the one time i did take avoiding action was when a woman with kids anchored up in front of me,theres no way i was going to hit that car,it was a grass verge and a garden wall that got it

i think your experience as a bus driver helped you there,most women would have paniced,i however would have royally lost my rag,and prob gave chase,sure the lorry driver didnt get the plate?
Old 05-10-2009 | 06:43 PM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

no, he was trying 2 get it, but he was trying 2 get over as far as possible to let the van.
yeah sum people do panic and then they end up worse. if iwas'nt shaking as much i would of bloody gone 2 try n find him! he knew he was in the wrong, i have a very girly car so least he could of done was 2 stop n c how i was! im the same as everyone else i make mistakes driving but i do make sure if i do sumthing 2 piss sum 1 off by accident then i would at least make a gesture of sorry.
Old 05-10-2009 | 06:52 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

he'll be sat at home shitting himself for the next few days now though
Old 05-10-2009 | 07:02 PM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

Originally Posted by kosman
he'll be sat at home shitting himself for the next few days now though
i bloody hope so!!