General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

cossie/rs200 inlet manifold blowing up problem!(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 30-09-2009, 08:55 AM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim,

Do you know how the gear cut operates? is it a pure ignition cut or is it a fuel cut or a combo of both? I assume it's just a fixed duration, and not on any sort of intelligent input from the GCU?

The way you are driving the car does sound a little odd with the gear cut enabled should you be lifting to upshift? I have driven cars with the three types of shift: mechanical sequential - no gear cut....sequential with flatshift gear cut and the paddle shift.....

only with the mechanical sequential do you need to lift on the upshift....and even then its a very minor lift...the gearbox's usually suffer less with a paddleshift than any other type of shift especially when they are run closed loop.....whats the fault on the gearbox...??

I wouldn't like to stick my neck out and 100% say it was the gear cut but i'd strongly suspect it was a contributing factor.....
Old 30-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Jim S
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Location: Yarm (Teesside) previously from Fyvie (Aberdeenshire)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ian sibbert
Jim,

Do you know how the gear cut operates? is it a pure ignition cut or is it a fuel cut or a combo of both? I assume it's just a fixed duration, and not on any sort of intelligent input from the GCU?

The way you are driving the car does sound a little odd with the gear cut enabled should you be lifting to upshift? I have driven cars with the three types of shift: mechanical sequential - no gear cut....sequential with flatshift gear cut and the paddle shift.....

only with the mechanical sequential do you need to lift on the upshift....and even then its a very minor lift...the gearbox's usually suffer less with a paddleshift than any other type of shift especially when they are run closed loop.....whats the fault on the gearbox...??

I wouldn't like to stick my neck out and 100% say it was the gear cut but i'd strongly suspect it was a contributing factor.....
Ian

The shift cut is controlled by the L8 on a signal from the GCU (intelligent input, not fixed duration) however the shift cut was switched off or rather I had forgotten to switch it on, so that's why I was lifting slightly to disengage the dogs and using the paddle to operate the gears.

So the shift cut cannot be blamed for any backfire etc, it may be intelligent and closed loop controlled but it's not clever enough to switch it's self on...LOL

The problem with the box, which was not a problem at the time of the manifold incident, is on downshifts only. It's failing to get into the next gear and sits in a false neutral, only on 6-5-4, it's OK from there down
Old 30-09-2009, 09:45 AM
ian sibbert

Jim,

Well, that answers that then....your just too greedy with the boost...lol....

I am surprised the downshift is difficult in the higher gears....does it do it all the time or is it intermittant?

The accumulator is the one supplied by Neil? its not running out of air pressure is it...
Old 30-09-2009, 10:10 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Ian, the downshifts won't work off the stick either so that pretty much rules out the paddle stuff, I was following him on the road home from croft whilst testing the box and it is intermittant it just sounds like an impact gun when it's stuck between the gears

steve
Old 30-09-2009, 10:23 AM
ian sibbert

Jim/Steve,

What have quaife said? An issue with the barrel?..on paper it looks a nice piece of kit...

I know when I ran quaife boxes you had to be quite brutal with them....sounds like the dogs are striking against each other face to face rather than meshing.....

Is it going back to Quaife or is someone else stripping it?....i'd be interested to see the internals.....
Old 30-09-2009, 10:48 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ian, the way jim explained it to me , is that if you imagine a hill like everest beween the gears so that if the gear doesn't engage in the next one the selector falls back down to the previous gear, on jims box design the peak is flatter and the the selector is getting stuck on the top of the peak
hope you can understand that! not sure if "selector" is the correct term for the part that moves.

quaifes customer service so far has been shite, don't think jim has spoke to them yet about this issue,IMO they should fix it FOC as they rebuilt it a few months ago and it has done less than 400ish miles since!

steve

Last edited by The Youth.; 30-09-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 30-09-2009, 10:53 AM
turbospud1
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ricardo transaxle on pistonheads for sale,911 fitment, get your chequebook out
Old 30-09-2009, 11:55 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

whats one of them?
link??

steve
Old 30-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Northern Bloke
PassionFord Regular

996 GT3 Transaxle for lots of pennies

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1258967.htm

Last edited by Northern Bloke; 30-09-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 30-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Jim S
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Location: Yarm (Teesside) previously from Fyvie (Aberdeenshire)

I am surprised the downshift is difficult in the higher gears....does it do it all the time or is it intermittant?

The accumulator is the one supplied by Neil? its not running out of air pressure is it...
That was the first time it has missed a downshift this year, so something has gone wrong inside.

Plenty air pressure in the accumulator.

Jim/Steve,

What have quaife said? An issue with the barrel?..on paper it looks a nice piece of kit...

I know when I ran quaife boxes you had to be quite brutal with them....sounds like the dogs are striking against each other face to face rather than meshing.....

Is it going back to Quaife or is someone else stripping it?....i'd be interested to see the internals.....
Brutal gear changes...yes everyone has to be done as though the rozzers are after you...LOL

I haven’t spoken to Quaife yet, should really do it ASAP, will more than likely send it back to them once I can be bothered going back into the garage to pull it out.

Originally Posted by turbospud1
ricardo transaxle on pistonheads for sale,911 fitment, get your chequebook out
Hi Bill

Ricardo sounds nice, it would need a new CWP to change to mid-engined layout which would add another 1k minimum to the price. The bellhousing looks part of the casing so would cause grief to convert to Ford. Also with only 4 hours running it would still need a rebuild. So the old saying of “Buyer Beware” springs to mind and it’s in Spain.

Originally Posted by the youth
whats one of them?
link??

steve

Ricardo = loads of money but are supposed to be good.

Last edited by Jim S; 30-09-2009 at 12:34 PM.