General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

airbag light flashing problem on my mondy mk2 :-(

Search this Thread

Old 23-09-2009, 06:36 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default airbag light flashing problem on my mondy mk2 :-(

to make things worse my net is broken so can't stay on here for long, went out for a bit of a drive and in the middle of it the airbag light started flashing , anyone have any idea of what it could be could help alot thankyou i don't want airbag in face whilst travelling my 4 hour commute atm .

cheers people
Old 23-09-2009, 06:40 PM
steves24V's
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will flash in a code prob 4 flashes then a gap then repeat it over and over. If it does do 4 it will be a seat belt pretentioner.
Old 23-09-2009, 06:43 PM
burnzy
burnzy

na it seem to flash once then take a while to flash again but i'll have a look have you or anyone got the codes to check just incase cheers
Old 23-09-2009, 07:31 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The airbag warning light should come on with the ignition and remain lit for 5 seconds. After this period it should go out and not illuminate again until next time the ignition is turned on. If the light fails to come on then check the fuse for the system and then the bulb in the instrument cluster. If a problem is detected with the system then it will be indicated by a number of flashes. If more the one code is detected the system will assign priority and display the most important first.

Flashes Problem
1 Drivers airbag failure
2 Passengers airbag failure
3 Failure of both airbag units
4 Pyrotechnic seatbelt pretensioner failure (Either side)
> Common Fault - Further details below
5 Drivers airbag failure - System shorted
6 Passengers airbag failure - System shorted
7 Drivers crash sensor failure
8 Passengers crash sensor failure

Common Fault:

The airbag warning light flashing 4 times is a common fault on late Mk1 and all Mk2 mondeo's using the pyrotechnic pretensioners - especially if you have recently moved the position of one of the front seats. Turn the igntion off and allow the car to sit for 15 minutes. Underneath the front seat base, (access is best from the rear passenger footwells, with front seats furthest forward), you will find two cables wrapped in yellow sleeving. The yellow connector may have parted company with its other half - Even if it hasn't disconnect and reconnect it to ensure that it is secure. Move on to the passenger side and check the wiring there - whilst doing this ensure the cabling is slack and not badly routed resulting in it being pulled tight
Old 23-09-2009, 08:09 PM
burnzy
burnzy

thankyou very much mate just what i needed i'll go check later or tmoz night, the light deffo comes back on i'll see how many flashes it has.

thanks again anyway gutted i can't stay on here longer but like arnorld say's "i'll be back"
Old 23-09-2009, 08:16 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually the connectors for the pretensioners under drivers/pax seats. Unplug, contact clean and remake - see how that goes.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 PM
burnzy
burnzy

ok update, it was only a single flash for the airbag light and i noticed my horn stopped working too, now traveling to london everyday i need my horn for warning drivers that can't drive (there is many).

checked the connectors at horn and also sprayed it with WD and put another relay in the fuse box still no joy, so took the steering wheel out to look at the ring that takes the power from the colum to steering wheel and the connections inside it have snapped off looks like someone has been inside it for some reason and not put it back together properly afterwards, so trip to the scrappers in the morn to get another even more annoying i'v just come from there , i'll get piccies up when i have my net working on the desktop.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Its called a clockspring, they do fail often on focus's too! Cheap enough from ford

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=c...ring&_osacat=0

Here's some random ones just to give you a rough idea of what to pay!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 PM
burnzy
burnzy

sorry rich my net is still down so hardly getting chance to go on atm, but cheer''s for the link and that makess me feel a bit better cos grabbed one from the scrappers for a tenner and thought i'd been overcharged slightly, all sorted now though, happy bunny again cos working in london and it's a neccesity when people aim for you