General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone know about tax while working abroad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone know about tax while working abroad?

As per a previous post i may be taking up a job in The Congo.

I seem to have been misinformed by HR as to the rate of tax i will pay.

I know there are a few guys here who work away and some clever people in general so thought i'd ask here

Am i liable for full UK tax? It'll be 28/28 so even time home and i know that doesn't qualify me for paying no tax. I'm not going to try the 90 day out of country thing so none of that matters.

If my company pay tax in The Congo can that be offset against what i'll be due here?!

Sorry i really don't know about these things!

Chop
Old 09-09-2009, 11:56 AM
.Ross.
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tight rope mate.

I havent worked in the Congo but worked in North America and didnt pay any Tax in the UK. I only paid income tax abroad because I worked more than 185 days in that country per TAX year.

Maybe you might have to pay Tax (Like the troops in Afgan/Iraq) If you work for a British company out there?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Shanny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Tight rope indeed....
If yourcompany pay tax in Congo, it will not be offset against your UK tax. This can only happen if you pay tax to the Congolese authorities BUT there are two ways to offset it.

If you're based on land and working 28/28, then you are liable for full tax as you are still a resident of the UK.

The tax office at East Kilbride deals with the ofshore oil industry and can be helpful in answering any questions.

If you are not being paid by a UK company and therefore are not taxed at source, my advice would be to get an accountant to sort it for you.

Shanny

Last edited by Shanny; 09-09-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by .Ross.
Tight rope mate.

I havent worked in the Congo but worked in North America and didnt pay any Tax in the UK. I only paid income tax abroad because I worked more than 185 days in that country per TAX year.

Maybe you might have to pay Tax (Like the troops in Afgan/Iraq) If you work for a British company out there?
It's an american based company but have bases worldwide.

Originally Posted by Shanny
Tight rope indeed....
If yourcompany pay tax in Congo, it will not be offset against your UK tax. This can only happen if you pay tax to the Congolese authorities BUT there are two ways to offset it.

If you're based on land and working 28/28, then you are liable for full tax as you are still a resident of the UK.

The tax office at East Kilbride deals with the ofshore oil industry and can be helpful in answering any questions.

If you are not being paid by a UK company and therefore are not taxed at source, my advice would be to get an accountant to sort it for you.

Shanny

I'd be getting paid in $ from Houston with NO tax removed. The company would be paying tax for me in Congo though. So i can't offset what they pay against what i am due?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i worked for a rep of ireland company in holland. the inland revenue told me i had to pay uk tax unless i was out of the uk for more than 6 months of each tax year but as the company also had a uk office they were uk registered.
if theres no record of you or where you are they can bill you for an estimated average years earnings worth of tax.
tax has to be paid somewhere and its up to you to prove you have .
speak to the inland reveue. ive always found them to be quite helpful and reasonable. even after i got caught defrauding them

Last edited by fuzzy; 09-09-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Strange one this. I had to call HMRC yesterday about something similar. The technical advisor told me that even though I'm paid in the UK, was still technically working for a British company, but was based abroad some of the time, I can claim back tax for the periods when I am not in the UK. I've filled in the forms and sent it off, I now just have to wait a couple of months to hear back.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

BAsically its easier to get an accountant to sort it out for you mate, they only cost a couple hundred quid for your years accounts, easy peasy. just let him know how much you get paid and he will sort it, you can even do it yourself with an online tax calculator.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by cutch
BAsically its easier to get an accountant to sort it out for you mate, they only cost a couple hundred quid for your years accounts, easy peasy. just let him know how much you get paid and he will sort it, you can even do it yourself with an online tax calculator.

I would have an accountant but dont at the mo and just need to know what i might get taxe BEFORE i agree to go!