General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

people who know the law etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:31 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people who know the law etc

ok here goes 3 yrs ago i was a victim of criminal injury
i have had two operations (broken jaw)
i applied for criminal injury compensation in which i received
the correct sum for that type of injury
this is my problem
i have been suffering pain ever since and because cica has paid out
i will get no more compensation which is fair from some angles
on the other hand i know i will be in pain for the rest of my life
so i want to know what else i can do
can i sue the person responsible ,or because cica paid out i cannot do a thing i just feel justice has not been done any info would be a help thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM
furqall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i would just take it on the chin lol
Old 04-09-2009, 06:45 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

lol i wish i could but the pain will/won't go away
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you been to the docs? Maybe the pain is 'fixable'.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And in what way does money cure the pain?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

go and break the jaw of the twat who hit you,wont stop yours hurting but will feel better.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dont you sign something saying full payment? and wont take things any further
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
It doesnt, but it helps, and he's entitled to it, and rightly so. Although i think it should all come out of the criminals pocket, but thats a different issue.

I think youll find that when you accepted the compensation, that you would have signed to say that was full payment and the end of the matter. Still, there may be a way around this though and its certainly not right if it'll casue you pain for the rest of your life.

Last edited by S1rst; 04-09-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 AM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

as stated it will never ,but i ain't going to be in pain for the rest of my life
i'm the victim so i want whatever i can get
Old 05-09-2009, 09:46 AM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

Originally Posted by kosman
go and break the jaw of the twat who hit you,wont stop yours hurting but will feel better.

yes this thought keeps doing the rounds
Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 AM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

Originally Posted by S1rst
It doesnt, but it helps, and he's entitled to it, and rightly so. Although i think it should all come out of the criminals pocket, but thats a different issue.

I think youll find that when you accepted the compensation, that you would have signed to say that was full payment and the end of the matter. Still, there may be a way around this though and its certainly not right if it'll casue you pain for the rest of your life.

thanks some understanding there
Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

lots of free money can buy him a big bag of drugs, he'll soon forget the pain.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Please don't think I'm not sympathetic to your situation but...

... it isn't the guy who assaulted you that paid out the criminal injuries, it was the taxpayers.

I honestly do feel sorry for you and other victims of crime, but why is cash the answer? We'll always pay for ongoing treatment for the condition, and medicines to manage the pain as far as possible. But pay for a night out, a foreign holiday, a new car, or whatever else a new cash award might be spent on? I don't think so.

Now, if you can go after him for more money I'll back you all the way, but if it ends up coming out of my pocket, I'm sorry, but why should I pay? I didn't do anything wrong. I guess the moral of the story is that if you are going to be assaulted it's best to be assaulted by someone rich!!!

This just feels like another example where everyone is out for themselves, and to hell with everyone else, though I will concede that a victim of assault is WAY more deserving of taxpayers money than someone who trips over a paving stone, or a shyster who runs a no-win-no-fee business.

We have just had the 70th anniversary of the outbreak of WW2 and I think we have lost something in our national character that let the people of this country stand up in unimaginable circumstances and win. Do you think this country could have survived if the civilian population were out looking for money for bombed houses, broken paving stones, death and injury to themselves and loved ones? Do you think we could do it today? I'm not at all hopeful that we could.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:09 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

... it isn't the guy who assaulted you that paid out the criminal injuries, it was the taxpayers.

I honestly do feel sorry for you and other victims of crime, but why is cash the answer? We'll always pay for ongoing treatment for the condition, and medicines to manage the pain as far as possible. But pay for a night out, a foreign holiday, a new car, or whatever else a new cash award might be spent on? I don't think so.

Now, if you can go after him for more money I'll back you all the way, but if it ends up coming out of my pocket, I'm sorry, but why should I pay? I didn't do anything wrong. I guess the moral of the story is that if you are going to be assaulted it's best to be assaulted by someone rich!!!

This just feels like another example where everyone is out for themselves, and to hell with everyone else, though I will concede that a victim of assault is WAY more deserving of taxpayers money than someone who trips over a paving stone, or a shyster who runs a no-win-no-fee business.

We have just had the 70th anniversary of the outbreak of WW2 and I think we have lost something in our national character that let the people of this country stand up in unimaginable circumstances and win. Do you think this country could have survived if the civilian population were out looking for money for bombed houses, broken paving stones, death and injury to themselves and loved ones? Do you think we could do it today? I'm not at all hopeful that we could.
I agree with you to an extent mate, but at the end of the day, the money is in that 'pot' for this very reason, so if people are entitled to it, then why not? Obviously going by what you said above, i assume you would turn a few grand down if you were a victim of such a crime? You'd obviously say 'no i dont want £2,3,4,5,6,7,8k+ of tax payers money because its not fair on them'?? Not having a go at you, because i do agree to a certain point. Lets face it, if it wasnt given to victims of crime it would be wasted on something that the government see as 'worth while'.

I personally think that it should not come from the government/tax payer, and should ALL come from the criminal and if he cant/wont pay it, then bang them in prison until its paid off in some way. Yes some do have a fine to pay, but its always a very small amount in comparison to the crime or damge they have done.

Last edited by S1rst; 05-09-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:41 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

ok this is 2009 and not the dark ages
i'm a law biding citizen
i have a job
i do not scrounge of the government and bleed them dry
cica was set up for victims of criminal injury
to state getting assalted by someone rich defies belief
are you for real
i just hope no one in your family or friends is ever a victim
would you then tell them the same i don't think so
next time i will go out i will run riot shouting only the rich may assault me
only the rich
Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

when someone is fined in court now they have to pay a victim surcharge of 15 quid, this goes to the victim compensation fund so it shouldn't cost us anything, my sister was nearly stranged to death an she got a 7 grand payout as she has to walk with a leg brace cus of nerve damage, because she had that payout she cannot sue him for anymore. sorry mate, your buggered
Old 05-09-2009, 01:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it's the same as the uninsured peeps who hit you and then you have to claim off someone who deals with this sort of thing

just because the payment has been made shouldn't mean that it's the end of the story unless you've signed off for soemthing

when i got both my biger payouts i was checked over and assesed for all the htings in the future i could possible be affected by, such as athritis and all sorts so they gave me the money based on what could have happened in the future

one f my payouts whould have been about 5 times it's value at today's prices but i'm not bitter about it, but if someone came up to me to ask about this sort of thing i'd always advise to take into account AL posisbly outcomes and then decide for yourself which is the best course of action

perhaps the op needs to go back to the people who paid out the money in the first place to see where he stands legally, as us internet lawyers will say that everything is possible and us internet barristers will argue that nothing is beyond the limits of the innocent persons pockets
Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

Not entirely true, im short 3k to a prat for criminal injurys
Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dazoriginal
to state getting assalted by someone rich defies belief
are you for real
Go back and read what I wrote again. if you still don't recognise irony, then I'll give up.

The point I was making is that compensation was/should be (?) something the culprit pays out to help rectify the damage he has caused. On that basis someone rich is in a better position to properly compensate you than some low-life idle scum with no income or assets.

It should not be money from the general taxpayer which might otherwise be available for things like schools and hospitals (or as someone else has mentioned, useless things like illegal wars, MPs expenses or whatever).
Old 05-09-2009, 03:57 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Go back and read what I wrote again. if you still don't recognise irony, then I'll give up.

The point I was making is that compensation was/should be (?) something the culprit pays out to help rectify the damage he has caused. On that basis someone rich is in a better position to properly compensate you than some low-life idle scum with no income or assets.

It should not be money from the general taxpayer which might otherwise be available for things like schools and hospitals (or as someone else has mentioned, useless things like illegal wars, MPs expenses or whatever).
but it's going to cost vastly more to get the crim to work off the debt than it is to just take it out the public coffers so it's a moot point really

if he's got to pay him back £6k and it's going to take him 6 months worth of hard labour to earn this money, and it costs £30k to keep a prisoner in click for a year, you have spent £15k to earn the £6k