General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can high comp pistons be skimmed to low comp ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Exactly, until you have done a dry build you cannot possibly know the exact spec of the pistons that you require.
thanks chip it seems out of al the experts on here you and jimbo are the only ones who even understand what im saying!!!!i shouldnt bother but i cant stand someone telling me i cant do something that me and just about every proper engine builder has done forever...cheers danny
Old 04-09-2009, 10:21 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markk
WRONG !! lol

Mr clever dick

oh and why would you accept that you can give a cr spec on a set of pistons without having the remainder of your engine to measure ?

you can simply have the pistons made to the dimensions you require, as we have had done many times.

and if i then buy a set of pistons they will still have the crown thickness i spec'd not the crown thickness your mahles gave you at factory 8:1 - what you have machined off to change the cr on the cheap.

im sure thats what cosworth do whan building their race engine, just find a close piston then machine it down

just remind me where you work so i dont contact you for anything engine related

With all the respec harvey has im sure if all his customers had unlimited budgets he wouldnt be selling heavily machined pistons like you pal.
mahles, 8-1 and a normal spec is around 7.5 for example

.2 is taken with valve poskets, not affecting the crown thickness really,

so all you need is .3 and this over a 80mm piston (leaving 5mm around the outside for example) isnt alot to be fair

what your saying is dead right, a piston made to spec is going to be much closer to right than a non custom one, but still some machining is needed, this is the big argument here i think
Old 04-09-2009, 10:29 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

You are TOTALLY missing the point, what Im saying is they MACHINE your pistons, they do not cast them, they MACHINE them, you know MACHINE them the thing that you say is BAD to do to pistons?
i dont think thats what he is saying at all, of course the pistons are machine finished, but they are made for that machine finish from a blank/billet/die/pressure cast method.

what he/i am saying is that machining a piston away from that manufactured spec is not the best or ideal for best purpose. you would use the tool/parts designed for that job.

its a bit like grinding down a full size spanner when you need a stubby one. cool analogy !
Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by b19 dfp
if i machined a piston from 8.1 cr down to 7.6 and put valve cut outs into them how much meat do you reckon iv taken off???and if you ordered a set the same spec as my machined ones you reckon youve got more crown depth???as for being wrong with ksa cr,well ididnt state as a fact,i asked a question...as for needing my services,why would you with al your knowledge???how many big power engines have you personaly built???can you buld me one cos al my pistons fall apart in the bores...they are so heavily machined...
i can have whatever crown thickness i want, as i would spec the engine correctly, not machine down std parts to make do.

and your right, you would never be building me an engine.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
BANNED
BANNED

i dont think thats what he is saying at all, of course the pistons are machine finished, but they are made for that machine finish from a blank/billet/die/pressure cast method.

what he/i am saying is that machining a piston away from that manufactured spec is not the best or ideal for best purpose. you would use the tool/parts designed for that job.

its a bit like grinding down a full size spanner when you need a stubby one. cool analogy !
i personaly know that cosworth have had certain pistons machined for different specs and then sold on to the consumer..and i mean like 100 sets all std cr machined to 7.5 with valve cut outs...so now your going to say that thats wrong???
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by J1mbo
mahles, 8-1 and a normal spec is around 7.5 for example

.2 is taken with valve poskets, not affecting the crown thickness really,

so all you need is .3 and this over a 80mm piston (leaving 5mm around the outside for example) isnt alot to be fair

what your saying is dead right, a piston made to spec is going to be much closer to right than a non custom one, but still some machining is needed, this is the big argument here i think
i can see where your coming from here jim even if your dimensions are nothing like a YB, but just for examples i presume, what is being said is that the machining should be taken care of within the spec of the piston.

do you think when mahle where given the dimensions for the oe yb pistons they were told, also make them thick enough in the crown, deep enough from the 1st ring land so that people can machine the shit out of them to reduce the compression, or so that the can be pocket by 10mm ?

that answer is no - i can already tell you that.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

No manufacturer specs the final volume for my pistons, I do, what I do is get them made to a ballpark that is slightly higher CR than I want, then that way I can dry build it, measure the CR, then adjust the pistons accordingly.
And I do so by giving them to a machinist who will do them exactly as they need to be done, just like JE or whoever would.
Its only a bodge like you are implying if you turn round and machine them with an angle gridner or something, lol
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 PM
BANNED
BANNED

i can have whatever crown thickness i want, as i would spec the engine correctly, not machine down std parts to make do.

and your right, you would never be building me an engine.
wrong nob head..how can you have what crown depth you want??not unless your going to have them protrude out the block??then youd have to have them machined!!!or would you just get shorter rods to save machining????
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

i personaly know that cosworth have had certain pistons machined for different specs and then sold on to the consumer..and i mean like 100 sets all std cr machined to 7.5 with valve cut outs...so now your going to say that thats wrong???
i know fill well that cosworth did specifically make low comp pistons, i was buying them from them in 1994, so well done- your right,

but maybe what you are missing perhaps is when they produced these pistons they also told you the block deck height, rod length, crank stroke, and head thickness. and they were all (wait for it............................) to their oe std dimensions for a virgin engine, not one of your re-machined/re-worked 6000hp race engines
Old 04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
BANNED
BANNED

i know fill well that cosworth did specifically make low comp pistons, i was buying them from them in 1994, so well done- your right,

but maybe what you are missing perhaps is when they produced these pistons they also told you the block deck height, rod length, crank stroke, and head thickness. and they were all (wait for it............................) to their oe std dimensions for a virgin engine, not one of your re-machined/re-worked 6000hp race engines
do you not read good???i said i know someone that cosworth got to machine some std pistons down to low comp before selling them....meaning even cosworth machine oe pistons to said spec...
Old 04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Chip

MarkK, what percentage of YB engines being built from a secondhand block do you think are capable of having those dimensions?
Any of us rebuilding an engine, need to make adjustments, and machining the pistons is the most "correct" way of doing so.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:46 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

No manufacturer specs the final volume for my pistons, I do, what I do is get them made to a ballpark that is slightly higher CR than I want, then that way I can dry build it, measure the CR, then adjust the pistons accordingly.
And I do so by giving them to a machinist who will do them exactly as they need to be done, just like JE or whoever would.
Its only a bodge like you are implying if you turn round and machine them with an angle gridner or something, lol
wel thats what i just said (apart from i have mine made final before i recieve them)

wrong nob head..how can you have what crown depth you want??not unless your going to have them protrude out the block??then youd have to have them machined!!!or would you just get shorter rods to save machining????
i see your aptitude for a technical conversation coming through again

"wrong nob head"

im going to remove you from my viewable posts now as i cant be arsed with talking to people like you who onbviously dont know what your doing.
good luck.
oh and btw read my last post with my quote of "i spec the engine correctly" so yes i can have 6mm crown or a 10mm crown or even a 20mm crown if i really wanted to, as i would spec to what i need, unlike you who would machine the std parts.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Chip

You'll need some REALLY fucking short rods to run a 20mm crown on a YB
Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

but for the analogy i could have them if a i really wanted it, where as our friend has said you cant, and what dimension are you refering to ?

I have blocked b19 so some posts may look a bit odd as if he does post i dont see them. GREAT
Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

my current engine runs longer rods, with a resonable crown thickness and differant gudgeon pin size on slippers, so i have no worries with dimension changes on CUSTOM pistons

Last edited by markk; 04-09-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 PM
BANNED
BANNED

wel thats what i just said (apart from i have mine made final before i recieve them)

i see your aptitude for a technical conversation coming through again

"wrong nob head"

im going to remove you from my viewable posts now as i cant be arsed with talking to people like you who onbviously dont know what your doing.
good luck.
oh and btw read my last post with my quote of "i spec the engine correctly" so yes i can have 6mm crown or a 10mm crown or even a 20mm crown if i really wanted to, as i would spec to what i need, unlike you who would machine the std parts.
tell me a company that can give you a yb piston with a 10 mm crown that wont need machining???????????????????????????????or do you build them realy short stroke revvy engines with 10.8 cr that do 40k miles????lol
Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 AM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

we havnt ruined anyones thread as hes just getting someone who knows what they are doing to build it>>>hence having the pistons machined to suit no doubt???

cheeRS stu
Old 05-09-2009, 03:30 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 05-09-2009, 04:08 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by STUCOS
cheeRS stu
you going to say what route your taking yet???whats the deck hieght on the head and what type pistons???cheers danny
Old 05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

danny mate, let them get on with it, kev will choose who he wants to listen to

jim
Old 05-09-2009, 04:23 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

I'll listen to your old man's advice when i call him with the measurements he needs jim.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:28 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

yeah i know bud im just saying, it will lead to another 3 pages of shite right
Old 05-09-2009, 04:30 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by J1mbo
danny mate, let them get on with it, kev will choose who he wants to listen to

jim
yeah i no mate its just for some reason its done my head in and i want to be proven right about what spec it is and what route they will take..lol
Old 05-09-2009, 04:34 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what a poor attitude to have for a so called propper engine builder you just seem a bit mardy to me
Old 05-09-2009, 05:04 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by saph4be
what a poor attitude to have for a so called propper engine builder you just seem a bit mardy to me
im not going to be called names mate and be told i cant do something that iv been doing for years by someone...your right though i shouldnt lower myself but hey its only a name and a bit of frustration..if you look at my other threads your see i speak to everyone with the respect im spoken to...if someone wants me to build them an engine then they will get a good engine at a good price and id always bend over backwards..if they dont want me to then fine im not trying to poach work and if because iv stuck up for something i know about and got a bit heated with someone on the net and thats enough for you not to come and see me then id say fine your loss mate...i have alot of respect for alot of the engine builders on here but i can assure you i can do the same job in most cases for alot less money...cheers danny
Old 05-09-2009, 07:50 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im not going to be called names mate and be told i cant do something that iv been doing for years by someone...your right though i shouldnt lower myself but hey its only a name and a bit of frustration..if you look at my other threads your see i speak to everyone with the respect im spoken to...if someone wants me to build them an engine then they will get a good engine at a good price and id always bend over backwards..if they dont want me to then fine im not trying to poach work and if because iv stuck up for something i know about and got a bit heated with someone on the net and thats enough for you not to come and see me then id say fine your loss mate...i have alot of respect for alot of the engine builders on here but i can assure you i can do the same job in most cases for alot less money...cheers danny
Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think people are taking things to extremes here, 99% of low comp or rebuilt yb's have got standard mahle pistons in with the valve cut outs and bowl machined to give you the desired cr. For most general applications this is fine, as it is well within the tolerences of a STD piston, and has been proven as such for decades! However, in the ideal world, if you are building a mega engine, you would spec a custom piston that would need zero or absolutly minimal modification away from the or dimensions to give you the desired cr/squish/valve cut outs/ bore clearance etc etc....

However, in the real world for 99% of people building a yb to a reasonable level of tune, a set of mildly machined mahles will do the job for realistic money....
Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
I think people are taking things to extremes here, 99% of low comp or rebuilt yb's have got standard mahle pistons in with the valve cut outs and bowl machined to give you the desired cr. For most general applications this is fine, as it is well within the tolerences of a STD piston, and has been proven as such for decades! However, in the ideal world, if you are building a mega engine, you would spec a custom piston that would need zero or absolutly minimal modification away from the or dimensions to give you the desired cr/squish/valve cut outs/ bore clearance etc etc....

However, in the real world for 99% of people building a yb to a reasonable level of tune, a set of mildly machined mahles will do the job for realistic money....
youve said exactly what iv been saying for days but have worded it spot on,good to know that there is people out there that know what they are up to...cheers danny
Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Glad to be of service...
Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

apart from a few idiots on this thread that have to resort to insults and name calling, i found this thread quite useful!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Me too m8.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
apart from a few idiots on this thread that have to resort to insults and name calling, i found this thread quite useful!
i agree, yet the block user function is great
Old 06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks to be a lot of good info in this thread even if it did go off track a little.
What would you do then if for some reason you had split the motor and had to skim the head or deck the block, would you just throw your custom spec pistons out and order a new spec or machine them to bring the comp ratio back in line ?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:29 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by NEIL A
Looks to be a lot of good info in this thread even if it did go off track a little.
What would you do then if for some reason you had split the motor and had to skim the head or deck the block, would you just throw your custom spec pistons out and order a new spec or machine them to bring the comp ratio back in line ?
Depends on how critical the crown thickness and combustion chamber shape are, but for most applications a slight machine would do the job!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by NEIL A
Often a thicker gasket is a good way to make up for a heavily decked block, and then you just run the pistons further proud of the block afterwards, squish still stays the same as they end up still the same height from the top of the gasket face.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Good point Chip, do cometic still do three different thicknesses of head gaskets for the YB?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Often a thicker gasket is a good way to make up for a heavily decked block, and then you just run the pistons further proud of the block afterwards, squish still stays the same as they end up still the same height from the top of the gasket face.

as per every other engine manufacturer in the world. every manufacturer i have dealt with who you order a hedagsket from even std cars ask you for a thickness if machining head/block faces is permissable.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Chip

Wil, Cometic will do any thickness you want if you are prepared to wait and pay, not sure what they have off the shelf for the YB though, but for the LET engine there is everything from 1.2 up to 2.5 IIRC
Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

There you go then... Always more than one way to skin a cat as the phrase goes
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil

having just read the whole way through, i think that is what everyone has been saying. except that some have not had the intelligence to both make their point properly and understand others

Quick Reply: Can high comp pistons be skimmed to low comp ?